“sad experience”

Media Luna Tourism Circuit
Ranked #3 of 10 Tours in Urubamba
More attraction details
Owner description: The Media Luna tourism circuit consists of a variety of workshops designed to provide insight into local mores and customs of the Sacred Valley. Each workshop is lead by a member of the Association of Media Luna. You will get a chance to immerse yourself in their daily routine and understand what it means to be part of a community such as Media Luna.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I used to learn that ranking itself doesn't mean anything on TA. Reviewers with only 1 or 2 reviews might not represent independent opinion. I have recognized that majority of the comments fall under this category however I was so excited to meet local farmers and learn more about Chicha making process and cuy breeding off the beaten path that I made an exception here. It proved to be a big mistake.
I sent an email prior to our visit. I received very soon a detailed answer describing activities included in different length tours and prices which made me think that they are - surprisingly -professionals. We opted to take the whole day tour even if it's definitely overpriced. We thought that paying 100 US$ is a good way of supporting locals.
A traditional lunch, pick-up at our hotel and an English speaking guide said to be also included in the price.
We were a bit surprised when a Spanish speaking lady arrived (late) to our lodge and we started our trip on foot to Media Luna Center waving for collectivos on the side of the main road...Ok, we are in Peru this is part of the adventure.
Next surprise when the lady insisted on to pay the ride for ourselves. Come on! 100 US$ fee isn’t enough to cover a few soles ride? It's ridiculous.
Then it turned out at the center that no English speaking guide will be provided for the tour. By a lucky chance our tour mate spoke English very well and willingly translated to us.
Ok, not exactly what we expected but considering circumstances it will comply. Remember, we are in Peru.
Our first stop was on the other side of the road. We entered into a mangy stinking courtyard covered with animal dirt. In addition some obviously ill animals were rambling around.
I could't think anything else but the infection we might get there. Then a very old man started to make a presentation on herbs displayed on a table. I understand what working on the fields means though this old man was stinking also. Both his body and his cloth was very dirty. I have never seen such disgusting nails before...
At this point we felt completely fed up with the whole experience but we thought this wasn't this poor old man's fault so we decided to show respect at least to his age and listened to his performance patiently which seemed to be at least partially informative however I'm not sure if it's owing to him or the interpreter. I definitely disliked those parts when I had to smell the herbs and catch a closer glance on his nails...
After this shocking experience we kindly asked our tour mates to come back to the center with us and tell them that we are leaving as this tour is far far away what we were expecting for our money (fortunately no advance payment made). Honestly we wouldn't stay even for free...
So we were let to go away and found our way back to our lodge on our own. Best part of the tour....
Arriving back to our lodge we learnt from our hosts that this tour used to be a well-organized and interesting activity but the Canadian manager who ran this place left a year ago.
I have no idea if the locals remain there intending to rip you off or it is just simply the lack of basic information on how to run a business. Especially a highly priced one. But it's a shame that an excellent idea like this realized in such a poor way.
I hope they implement a few changes to improve their service that this activity might become even a top attraction in the region.
Anyway I do not recommend the visit at present.

10  Thank monaHungary
in 4 reviews
"peru"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Thanks to Media Luna for a great experience. We hiked up to the 8 balconies and enjoyed spectacular views of the Sacred Valley. Our guide was informative and inspirational. We had a nice lunch of local cuisine followed by workshop demonstrations of local crafts. The authenticity of the work and knowledge of the instructors made me very appreciative of the products that I encountered throughout my visit. I highly recommend Media Luna to anyone visiting the Sacred Valley!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

In an area as touristy as Cusco and the Sacred Valley it can be hard to experience the real Peru. We found that Media Luna allowed us to be more of a visitor than a tourist. Machu Picchu is big business but there are many small villages that do not share the economic benefits. Media Luna is a small village that is showing visitors to the Sacred Valley their way of life. They were warm and welcoming. We were shown how guinea pigs are raised for food, how wool is dyed and woven into cloth, how local plants are used for medicinal purposes and how to make chicha (beer made from corn). It was truly a special experience for us.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Participating in the Media Luna circuit was an unique experience. I had a very strange feeling, somehow mystic, I felt as if I were in a trip to the past!! It called my attention the pride and cheerfulness with which the members of Media Luna –Tiburcio, Marleni, Carmen, Gertrudis– have when they share their traditions and culture with the tourists, and I consider that this is an incentive to keep and transmit them to the next generations. Some of the members have even won awards, like Carmen, who two years back got the first place for the best chicha in a local competition. I have learnt a lot from the traditions of the Peruvian sierra!

1  Thank Maria F