“Sanctuary in Peru”

Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in Urubamba
Los Angeles, California
“Sanctuary in Peru”
Reviewed 6 June 2011

This was an incredible stay. The staff was completely charming and accommodating. They checked us in late and helped us get out the door early. They made us homemade breakfast and sent someone to build us a fire in our fireplace. They even sent us to a great restaurant. Five happy dogs, tons of hummingbirds, beautiful flowers and gardens, a barbeque, a treehouse and a backdrop of the Andes all reside at K'yuchi Rumi. Incredible. Hands down my favorite part of my trip - and we only stayed there for one night!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank clairestravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at Kuychi Rumi for 4 nights in May. We chose Kuychi Rumi based on many of the reviews on Trip Advisor. In my opinion, Kuychi Rumi is a great value for the space of the accommodations and service you get. The following is a list of why we would stay at Kuychi Rumi again:

*The entire staff was friendly and helpful throughout our trip. Rodrigo, Claudia, and Ursula really go out of their way to make you feel at home. Their genuine care for your stay to be pleasant is easily noticeable.

*The bed was very comfortable and the blankets were extremely warm.

*The water in the shower was hot every day. It was never an issue as we experienced in another nice hotel during our 9 days in Peru.

*We chose the buffet breakfast in the morning and it was outstanding with plenty of options.

*Ulises, our driver, was great and was all set up by Kuychi Rumi. He was with us for the entire time including the pick-up and drop off at Cusco airport. He actually drove us around Cusco to pick up our duffel bags for the 4 day Inca Trail, and wait for us while my wife bought some clothes because our luggage didn’t make it to Lima from Miami. His English was limited, but fortunately we can communicate in Spanish just enough to have pleasant conversations throughout touring the valley.

*Kuychi Rumi set us up with David Ramos to tour Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Moras, Moray, and all they had to offer. It was a jam packed full day but with our limited time in Peru we glad we did it. David was informative, friendly, and funny.

*Kuychi Rumi arranged us to do the 4 day Inca Trail hike with PM Explorers and it was great. I would imagine it is all about the guide, and Abraham who was ours was great. Debbie in the office also was great making sure we were prepared in our orientation and before.

*After our 4 day trek Urusula set us up with massages at Rio Sagrado Spa which was a 15 minute walk from Kuychi Rumi. The prices were a bit high for us, so we went with the 30 minute one. Both therapists did an excellent job.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank junkrus
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 31 May 2011

If you are looking for a centrally located place to stay in the Sacred Valley, you would be hard pressed to find a more delightful spot than Kuychi Rumi. Four of us "girls" toured Peru for three weeks (culminating with the Inca Trail hike of four days), and we stayed at Kuychi Rumi for four nights. We had a beautifully decorated and equipped cottage (2 bedrooms, two baths, kitchen, dining room, living room with fireplace, sunporch) to have as a "basecamp" for our daily excursions through the Sacred Valley. It was wonderful to come back to a warm cottage, a roaring fire and all of the comforts of home each night (and to be greeted by all five of the sweet dogs that are the owners' pets). The grounds are absolutely beautiful with flowers and shrubs, giving each cottage a nice feeling of privacy. The kitchen was stocked with plenty of breakfast food, and each morning we made a great breakfast and enjoyed it sitting in the sunshine on the patio. Ursula and Claudia made us feel so welcome, and we felt we left good friends in Urubamba when we departed. We hope to see them again!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank jusuggs
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 May 2011

My first trip to Peru and the Sacred Valley was in 2007, stayed at the KR. I loved it so much I have been coming down every year since. Claudia, Rodrigo and Ursula are simply the best, When you stay here you're not a "tourist" or "client" you're family. The KR is located in Urubamba which is in the middle of the Sacred Valley thus in the middle of everything. Yes there are other resorts and hotels in the area but none match the personal and "homey" atmosphere of the KR. What Claudia has done with the place and gardens is my little slice of Eden. While you are there you are in a very relaxed and tranquil environment which is simply infested with Hummingbirds. The resident dogs also give you an at home feeling not to mention the treatment of all who work at the KR. You want to book a trip to Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, the Amazon Jungle, etc? Just let Claudia, Rodrigo or Ursula know and they will take care of everything for you. On a whim this year I wanted to stay a few days in the Amazon, what I found on my own cost almost as much as my entire stay at the KR. I let Rodrigo know and not only did he find me an excellent package but at a fraction of the price that I could find on my own.

My best recommendation is to book your stay at the KR, then get suggestions from them and they will take care of everything for you.

Anyway if you are looking for a “real” vacation of simply the most beautiful landscape and beautiful people, stay at the Kuychi Rumi. They will make you feel like family and go out of their way to make your stay Magical.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank marcus0263
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We picked Kuychi Rumi based on all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, and we will add another positive one. We rented a car in Lima and traveled with 3 kids for 4 weeks through the southern part of this great country. We stayed in many places and this was by far the best accommodation of our trip. It is not cheap, but is well worth the money.

The houses are beautiful, the beds very comfortable, the garden great and the hosts very friendly and helpful. We had breakfast included, which meant that we eat in the home of the owners and they did everything to make it unforgettable. They were also very helpful with finding activities and recommendations for restaurants.

I can recommend this place to families with kids, but also for a romantic get away. I hope I will have another opportunity to stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank WaarOoktTrWereld
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 February 2011

This resort is truly a hidden treasure. I took a trip with my husband and a group of friends in December 2010 right after our wedding. It was a pre-honeymoon thing. Not only was it a ton of fun with our friends but having our own cottage was incredible! We would all get together in the common areas and when we wanted privacy, we would go to our cottage and felt like we were totally alone.

I can't describe how beautiful it is. If you are looking for a huge hotel with a state-of-the-art gym and spa, this is not the place for you. They have spa services but its more of a nature trail kind of place. One of my friends got a massage.. they had a masseuse go to his room, he said it was amazing. This is a beautiful resort with several cottages in a secluded woodsy/garden area. When we pulled up to the hotel we even had doubts but as soon as you pass the gates it really takes your breath away. All of us left feeling so peaceful and well rested. We didn't sleep in or go to bed early, it just makes you feel at peace. We stayed up late both nights we were there. We roasted marshmallows in the fire, had hot chocolate, played drinking games and just had a great time.

The service couldn't be better! They really went above and beyond to make our stay amazing. They offer transportation to everything for a very reasonable price. It is best to set up transportation with them, it is so convenient...they have several sized buses and cars. They recommended the best restaurants and places to visit nearby. They even cooked us a wonderful meal on the day we arrived because we were told to take it easy and relax on the first night because of the altitude. They had a nice breakfast for us every morning. Anything we needed that they might not have, they would go get for us...it really was incredible. They even recommended places for us in Cusco, we stayed in Cusco after we were in Urubamba. They recommended the best restaurants and bars to go to.

Kuychi Rumi was so close to the Peru Rail train station to go to Maccuppichu. I really recommend staying in Urubamba first if you are going to Maccuppichu, it is half the trip from Cusco... way more convenient!

This trip was as incredible because we stayed in Kuychi Rumi and because of the amazing people who worked so hard to make us SO happy! THANK YOU!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank romih22
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 18 January 2011

From the street you wouldn't expect much but behind blue gate I was immediately awe struck by this place. The staff was wonderful and so so friendly. They were so accommodating helping us book tickets and giving us great recommendation on place to visit during our stay in the Sacred Valley. The location of this place couldn't be any more convenient. It seems as if we were in the center of all the place we visited. Each cottage was unique and well built with all natural materials from the area. Someone spent a lot of time decorating the place with all cultural decor and modern amenities. I was real happy that we had wiFi that worked! All the cottage were well hidden thru the maze of flowers and the only sounds you could hear were the winds blowing through the trees and birds chirping away. The rooms were very cozy, clean and very well maintained. I love the addition of the fireplace and being able to light it up at night. The breakfast sampler was perfect with sample of fresh fruits, eggs and a variety of goodies. I especially enjoyed the warm fresh bread delivered to our door every morning.

Overall I was extremely impress and would highly recommend K'uychi Rumi to all my friends and family

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends