“A Great Resort”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“A Great Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Tambo del Inka for 3 nights. Overall, very pleased with the hotel and service. Amenities and service were amazing, which is quite a comfort given the altitude sickness I was experiencing. The spa, which I was able to utilize on my last day was also great (love the heated wooden chairs in the treatment room).

The only con about this place is how expensive the food is. Most items on the menu is upward of 60 soles. I find that really costly. I think they make use of the fact that guests would be willing to pay just for the convenience, especially given the location (it's not located in the middle of the city like Cusco where choices are abundant).

Also, wireless in rooms are extra charge, but free in lobby. So I ended up spending a lot of time in the lobby.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka!

It is comforting your read your comments and realize that your overall experience was simply great.

In fact, all our personnel is oriented into exceeding our guests´ expectations and sure hope that yours were fully achieved.

Concerning the food, kindly consider the high quality food, HACCP approved personnel and vendors and outstanding preparation of all our dishes.

Thanking you again for choosing us and do look forward to hosting you again in time.

Pablo Marconi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have intentionally waited before posting this review, just to be fair to the hotel manager and give him a chance to react before "going public". Read on to understand.

Location - Perfectly placed in the valley, the hotel is a central point for your excursions, as others have stated. We stayed for two nights after making a one night stop in Cuzco. After the fact, we perhaps should have skipped Cuzco on the way in and gone directly to Tambo, just to get used to the altitude. It does hit you, and even the Urubamabans suffer from it when they go to Cuzco.

Outside aspect - You literally enter paradise when you cross the security gateon the main road. Unimaginable there is such a resort on the other side of the walls. The place is well guarded and very safe. The hotel entrance is warm and pleasing to the eye.

Check in - No stress at all. You get the coca tea drink and they take care of the rest while you sit on a comfortable armchair, you just have to sign a couple of documents. Oh, and the receptionist also offered me to enroll in the starwood program. I said yes but never got enrolled. I forgot about it until I left, but never was reminded by them either... First neg.

Rooms - Great. Nothing to add to what others have said. Comfy beds, splendid bathroom, etc etc. Majestic view with a long armchair (we were at ground level). Never heard any soft music in my room coming back at night though...

Restaurant - We ate there the first night. We did not want to adventure in the town and took it easy. Excellent prep, great service, fabulous tasting food. Expensive, but you won't get sick.

Facilities - Same recurrent comment about the pool and the jacuzzi separation. It is a desing flaw, but they either don't know how to solve it, or don't give a toss. Simple redesing of the layout would do it, but no... Pity because the pool is marvelous in its concept (inside/outside), but you feel restricted from using the hotel facilites at its full potential. Second neg. Oh, and also if you are on the other wing of the hotel, you have to walk through reception from and to the pool. Uncomfortable if you are going to do it with the bathrobe they provide you. Again, it can be solved by creating an alternative pathway, which is presently lacking...

Concierge - This one really is the killer. While pleasant, at least two of the concierges gave us completely misleading advice. On day one, the young girl recommended for lunch a restaurant that did not exist, and another one that was closed (Qannela). In such a small town, how can you make such blatant mistakes ? And on the second day, another concierge told us that the tickets to access the Ollantaytambo ruins could be bought separately. False. When we got there, we were told that the only way to buy tickets is either a six or a 14 site package (if I remember well). I tried to negotiate with the person selling tickets, without success. It was a major upset for me because, had I been given the correct information from the beginning, I would have taken more money with me, giving me the margin to buy a couple of souvenirs, which I couldn't. We barely had enough cash to get back to the hotel. Again, how can a hotel of this category have staff that give such misleading info on simple, basic things ??? Double neg...

Checkout - Easy, no stress. They graciously kept our luggage for one day (we were going to stay overnigh in aguascalientes). Never got my starwood member card though.

Couple of tips now. FIRST, don't take a taxi from the hotel. You will have to pay a premium just because he comes and pick you up inside. Walk outside, and hire one there. you have tons of choices. Drivers pretty much have agreed to charge certain amounts, but you still have to negotiate. SECOND, if you are going to Ollanta, take the collective taxi. Those are Minivans where they literally crush people into, but what an experience. And cheap cheap (3 soles instead of 30-40 a cab will ask for). Same to go to another town in the valley. The bus station is 10 minutes walk from the hotel. However, if you go to the salinas, you are sort of stuck with a taxi... THIRD, I would recommend you dine at least once at the hotel. We had dinner at Qanela the second night and it was horrible. FOURTH, go and take the train at Ollanta. Do the same on the way back, get off at Ollanta. You will mix more with the locals and will go faster than taking the train from the hotel station. FIFTH, if you can, stay at this hotel or another of the area for more than two nights. Totally worth it.

All in all, this hotel would easily get five stars and more if the little things I negged were solved. From the comments I have read, the same problems persist, which means nothing has been done since we were there seven months ago. I wrote a letter to the Manager, Mr Marconi, but he never replied. And the letter never was returned to sender, so I imagine he received it. Lo siento Senor Marconi, pero alli me defraudo Ud....

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DarkAges
Good morning,

Thank you choosing Tambo del Inka, part of the magnificent ensemble of the Luxury Collection!

Really grateful for your magnificent appreciation on our location, aspect, check in, check out, restaurant and other outlets.

In fact, located in the heart of the Sacred Valley gives our guests a better and easier access to other towns, communities and ruins nearby.

Concerned about your comment on our Concierge personnel. Our Rooms Manager has been informed about it and a refreshment training session has been made oriented into service matters.

About the letter you mention, really sorry to tell you that I have not gotten it at all. In fact, I do personally answer all my emails and comments on different web pages. However, kindly re send it to me in order to be able to acknowledge it and answer it.

Thank you indeed for your understanding and comprehension and sure hope to welcome you back in time.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Tambo del Inca is a true luxury in the Urubamba valley. The property is huge and it even has its own train station from where you can visit Machu Pichu. The view of the snow covered mountains and urubamba river right outside your suite is amazing. Their restaurant served good food.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 November 2013

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka!

It is comforting your read your comment and realize that your overall experience in our resort was outstanding.

In fact, our private train station gives a more relaxing journey to Machu Picchu. Furthermore, our location, in the middle of the Sacred Valley, gives a faster and easier access to other towns, communities and ruins nearby; including the Chicon (our snow landmark).

Thank you for your great words to our staff, service and property itself.

Hope to host you back in time.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is a phenomenal hotel. Do not hesitate to stay here. The location is perfect to travel to Machu picchu and visit the rest of the sacred valley. Pure luxury and one of the best places we have ever stayed at. They make your stay so comfortable. The staff are second to none and will bend over backwards to ensure you have a comfortable place. There is a bus station 300-400 metres down the road (turn left from the front of the hotel and on your right) that will take you to anywhere around the sacred valley for a few soles. Don't bother with taxis that cost 10 or 20 times that. You travel with the locals and it is an experience you should NOT be put off by.The only thing i would recommend is for the quality of the breakfast to improve and the cost of dinner is extortionate, there are cheaper alternatives within walking distance from the hotel that are amazing.

We went to Macchu Pichu and the train stopped within the hotel. It is a slow trek leading up to the hotel but very convenient.

One thing I would say is the little touches. Staff calling to make sure you are ok, cleaning your room immaculately, leaving the music on for when you get back, complimentary shoe cleaning service, etc. They know how to take care of their guests.

Overall, thanks to everyone at the hotel for a wonderful stay....one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at with amazing views. Do not hesitate to stay here. Now whenever we go on holiday, we look for similar types of hotels....this is the benchmark.

Room Tip: You must experience staying at this hotel. Don't stay in Cusco, stay here!! Far more peaceful an...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Good afternoon,

Thank you for choosing Tambo del Inka, part of the magnificent ensemble of the Luxury Collection!

Thank you indeed for you marvelous appreciation on our staff, service, outlets and propety itself and for considering us as a benchmark for hotel industry.

In fact, our location in the middle of the Sacred Valley gives all our guests a faster and easier access to other towns, communities and ruins nearby.

Glad too see that did share local experiences while in and out of our resort and sure hope to welcome you back in time.

Respectfuly,

Chennai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Beautifully located resort, kind and warm smiling,ever helpful staff, room service in a jiffy, amazing views, beautiful jogging track, and a railway station of its own to Machu Pichu. if opportunity comes, i will go back.

Room Tip: Rooms have access to Garden, and huge.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Andrew F
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka!

Really happy to see that you had such a great experience while in our resort.

Thank you for your wonderful appreciation on our staff, service and property and for considering coming back to our resort.

In fact, located in the heart of the Sacred Valley gives all our guests a faster and easier access to other towns, communities and ruins nearby. Furthermore, or private train station is defintely a plus in our service to/from Machu Picchu.

Looking forward to hosting you again in time.

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We just returned from Peru, and really enjoyed our stay at Tambo del Inka. We chose the hotel due to the train station on property to travel to Machu Picchu, and that was a great decision. The train station is located on one side of the grounds, and was extremely convenient for our one day trip to MP. The hotel was beautiful, and the service was excellent, especially from the concierge. The hotel was fairly empty, other than one corporate group, so we were given an upgrade to a junior suite. The room was absolutely wonderful. We had a couples massage at the spa, which couldn't have been any better. Why only 4 stars? We had a very similar impression to Fizzmopper's review. There were certain little things that were irksome. We were so excited, after hiking MP all day, to sit in the hot tub at the beautiful indoor/outdoor pool, but were told that the hot tubs were not accessible to us - only for spa (which we had done the day before) and a women only hot tub. WHY???? These were out in the open, one level down and visible from the pool area. During our 48 hours at the hotel, I never saw a single person sitting in these two hot tubs. What a waste! The food at the hotel was OK. We had one lunch and one breakfast at the hotel. Near the end of our breakfast, I received a work call so I walked out onto the patio to take the call. The waiter refused to give the bill to my wife until I had returned, which appeared to be purely chauvinistic (this did not go over well with my wife!). Overall, this is a great resort with a lot to offer guests.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Good afternoon,

Thank you for letting us share Tambo del Inka magic with you!

It is comforting to realize that your overall experience in our resort was fantastic. However, I am deeply concerned for the situation you went through while in our restaurant. Our F&B Manager has been informed about this issue and he has refreshed all our personnel in service matters.

Thank you indeed for your comprhension and understanding and hope to welcome you back in our resort in time.

Tamarindo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The Tambo del Inka is first class, which means you will pay. I was happy for the "Friends and Family of Starwood" employee discount program. Even with the discount it was still about $200 a night. Now that I said that lets get into the details:

What an awesome hotel! From the entrance and being greeted by the hotel staff, one could tell the hotel was going to be awesome. The entire hotel is very appealing to the eye. The only downfall is when you look out the back across the river and see the trash on the hillside, but that's not the hotel's fault. The rooms are super nice with a well laid out bathroom and closet. The breakfast buffet, included in the price of the room, is fully loaded with fruits, breads, deli meats, cheeses, hot items, cereals, and juices. Also one can get made to order eggs, french toast, and coffees also included in the price of the room! What a great way to start your day before Machu Picchu!

The only criticism I have about Tambo del Inca is that they forgot one of our bags when they picked them up in the room to deliver to our taxi out front. How they did that is beyond me, as all our bags and suitcases were together! Tip, no matter how great the service is, always check to see if they deliver all your bags! I was happy that they delivered the bag all the way to Cuzco within 3 hours, but that still does not make up for their mistake. Oh well, I'm over it!

If you stay, enjoy the luxury at its best!

Enjoy!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gringo66
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Good morning,

Thank you for letting us share Tambo del Inka magic and Luxury with you!

Happy to see that you did enjoy staying at our resort even if some incoveniences with your bags. Concerned to know what happened but on the other hand, I see that my colleagues did send them to you in due time; even if it is not excuse.

Do thank you for your understanding and comprehension.

Too grateful to you that your overall experience was finally great. Definetely, as you mentioned, our buffet breakfast selection is wide and enjoyable to start up the journey of the day.

Do hope to welcome you back in time.

Pablo Marconi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urubamba
Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
#2 of 25 in Urubamba
Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux
Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness
Palacio del Inka, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Belmond Hotel Monasterio
JW Marriott El Convento Cusco

Been to Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!