“Okay hotel in a so-so town”

San Agustin Urubamba Hotel
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Urubamba
Reviewed 24 July 2014

First of all, there is NOTHING within walking distance of this hotel, and at night, it does not feel entirely safe to walk outside of the gate. We stayed here for a couple of days before going to Machu Picchu, but in hind sight, I would much rather have spent those days in Ollantaytambo or Aguas Callientes where there is a bit more going on. The hotel itself is fine, but not really offering much to do more than sleep and eat. Unfortunately, the restaurant is not really taking your breath away, if you have any left at this altitude...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The San Agustin Urubamba Hotel is at the edge of town and close to the road. We stayed here for two nights as part of a tour. The hotel is two stories with outdoor entrances. Our room faced the not-too-busy street but it was not an attractive view and we were awakened early in the morning by outside construction noise. Three other rooms were also located in this area and two of the rooms asked to change after the first night. The room has high ceilings with a light suspended from the top and also there is a bedside light but it was a rather dark room. It gets chilly in June in this area and there is a space heater but it really only took the chill off the room. There are heavy blankets available in the closet, however, and I slept nicely with one of those. Do beware not to push the lock button on the inside of the door before closing it to leave the room. We and another couple a few doors down were having trouble with our doors unlocking from the outside. A worker had to go through the room next door, go out their veranda over to ours, and then open the doors from the inside of our room to let us in. I am sure that it must occur often so it is curious that it had to be opened that way and has not been fixed not to happen The lobby has a small closet sized gift shop with fairly good prices. All of us on the tour group went in and we all were given an Incan cross necklace just for stopping by. There is a pool with a lady selling wares early in the morning on a blanket on the edge. The gardens are quite lovely and it is a peaceful setting once away from the construction noise. The dining room was quite large and breakfast was very good with much variety. I liked the San Agustin Urubamba Hotel because it had a bit of atmosphere…rather rustic and different.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main street.
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tlynn63
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I spent one night at this hotel in preparation for my next day excursion to Machu Picchu. Very nice hotel, clean, gentle staff and exceptional view of the Andes from the corridor. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Any room is adequate and private.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here 2 nights and the morning of our checkout day found a dozen bed bugs in our sheets. When we alerted the front desk, they didn't seem concerned. It put a damper on the rest of our trip. I still feel like they are crawling on me.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hunniep
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at finding such a good hotel in Urubamba, Peru; mainly because of the altitude and size of Urubamba, which is small. The hotel is pleasantly laid out and the beds comfortable. The evening food was quite good and the breakfast buffet is ok. Since the altitude is higher, visitors might experience a little altitude sickness in the form of upset tummy, headache, etc. but, a little ginger candy will ease the discomfort. There is free WiFi in the entrance and a small bar area. It is a little rustic, but clean. I would recommend the San Agustin Urubamba Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a relatively small town, so I think this is an above average hotel. But it does have it's drawbacks ...... Interesting hacienda-style architecture, nicely kept grounds, mostly all rooms open directly to the outside, no indoor corridor. I didn't like that the outside door opened less than 10 feet from the beds! On the first floor, we had no window to open (just a SGD to a patio and the great outdoors). Cold tile floors in room and marble bath - not ideal in winter! Small area rug between beds, looked like it hadn't been vacuumed before or during our 2 night stay. Again, a very high slippery tub making climbing in to take a shower a challenge for this senior. Friendly staff in the lobby, decent (included) breakfast buffet (although you sometimes had to wait for them to replenish when things were empty......... No apparent heat in the large dining room, but a nice view of the spacious grounds. This was a GROUP TOUR.

Room Tip: We had a quiet room in the courtyard, but you still need to go outside to reach the lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Eileen D
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as part of a tour group. Most of the occupants seemed to be part of various tour companies. On arrival, my first surprise was that I arrived at my room and could hardly see.----dark corner room---overlooking nothing!!!. I guess that was not all bad, since I did not have highway noise. Secondly, my bag did not arrive for about one hour. ??? Perhaps they could not find the room....My granddaughter eventually went to the lobby and found my suitcase.....

At breakfast-- another surprise. Only small saucers for dishes. It appeared that many people had eaten very early, and normal sized dishes were all "used up". No place settings available with silver, napkins, coffee cups, etc. Oh well, I came to this region to visit the Inca ruins, and not
to eat. Although---one of my best meals was just down the road----roasted chicken---in a fabulous setting---only wish that I had kept the name of that place......The owners were lovely, the setting was perfect, and the food was excellent. I was tired, and did not keep a journal that day.......Back to San Agustin Urubamba------I walked around the area-----managed to find water across the street at a place that looked like a truck stop. There is really nothing there.....BUT, if you, like me, are just there to sleep---then it is ok. NOT a place for a holiday....Clean bed, I think, but quite honestly, it was so dark, that I could not see very well.

The grounds looked "pretty"....but, since I live in Florida, the foliage, pool, etc---looked familiar, except that it was cold and NO one was swimming, etc. But, it fulfilled my sleeping needs.....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family