As others have noted, the grounds at this hotel are very pretty: it's like staying in an 18th century hacienda (I think it was actually once a monastery). Once you get past the historic but annoying door locks (about to be replaced), rooms are 4-star comfortable: not super-deluxe or as nice as the grounds, but completely acceptable.
The "problem" with the hotel, if I'm going to be picky, is that it's a bit boring -- as is the town of Yucay where it's located. Other than browse the woolen items and trinkets for sale by the local ladies in the courtyard (the prices aren't bad if you bargain a little), there's very little to do at the hotel. A few scattered hot tubs would be wonderful, particularly for the chilly evenings! I'm sure others would appreciate spa treatments as well.
The only meals I ate at the restaurants was the breakfast buffet, and that's decent but not fantastic. Of course, to a Norteamericano, I typically find South American breakfasts to be pretty poor. Given how prevalent potatoes are in the Peruvian diet, I'm surprised that nobody (including this hotel) offers hash browns or other fried potatoes at breakfast. Also, the only breakfast meat offered is hot dogs, which frankly doesn't cut it for a 4-star int'l hotel (I guess there's no bacon or "real" sausages in Peru?).
Other reviewers say there are no nearby restaurants, but the very decent (and better-priced-than the hotel) Ananau restaurant is only a block away (turn left at the hotel entrance). You can also have the hotel call you a taxi to take you to nearby Urubamba (5 minutes away by car) for less than 10 soles.
Bottomline, this is a perfectly good, atmospheric hotel to be a base for a visit to the beautiful and interesting Sacred Valley. Just don't expect a lot to do at the hotel, or in the town of Yucay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Sacred Valley of the Incas and surrounded by beautiful gardens, the Sonesta Posada del Inca Yucay is a former 18th century colonial-style monastery. This charming 87-room posada is a one-hour drive from the ancient Inca capital of Cusco and close to Machu Picchu. The area's year-round warm weather is ideal for hiking, rafting, horseback riding and other outdoor activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Posadas Del Inca Sacred Valley Yucay Hotel Yucay
- Sonesta Yucay
- Yucay Sonesta
- Sonesta Posadas Del Inca Yucay Sacred Valley, Peru