“The Splendido!!”

Ranked #59 of 86 Hotels in Montevideo
Peterborough, Canada
“The Splendido!!”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed a month and thoroughly enjoyed it....it was clean Friendly and helpful.The staff were excellent. I was travelling alone am older and came from Canada.
I changed rooms a couple of times ..to help out accomodation of new guests which was fine by me and both rooms were good. I would be happy to return there

Room Tip: didn't notice noise in the hotel or nearbyI was very happy there or I would not have stayed so l...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Beware if staying in Montevideo on a Sunday, we arrived at this time and the area around this hotel is like a ghost town - literally no one about whatsoever and it didn't feel the safest. The hotel itself is nice and like others have said the décor is great - its like staying in an old fashioned dolls house! The staff on reception didn't speak to us much and didn't have a map or much information available for us. We didn't experience any noise from the bars - everything was very quiet, but we were there in the middle of winter. There was a heater in the room (which we needed!) and the en suite bathroom was clean. Breakfast basic but good and wifi worked everywhere. As someone else has said, consider this a hostel rather than a hotel and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 18 August 2013

If you consider this to be a hostel (which is more what it is) than I'd give it a 4. As a hotel it gets a 3.

On the plus side the folks at the front were very friendly. There was a breakfast provided, and as basic as it was it did include fruit. The old building had a lot of charm. The location was also superb! Also GLBT friendly!

Drawbacks - room smelled a bit odd/perfumy, bedding left a little to be desired (but was clean), could get quite noisy at night (which is to be expected of a hostel I suppose)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Hotel Splendido has unusual atmosphere and antique furniture since the beginning of last century. From hotel windows one can see famous Teatro Solis. I had a large room with 5 beds, actually a dorm, but stayed there as in a private room together with a friend, nobody else. Bathroom was in a corridor shared with other rooms. Breakfast was very simple: small servings and poor variety, however there were some fruit. It was possible to cook by yourself in a kitchen and use a fridge there. Hotel`s location is good, almost city centre, close to the central square with a monument to general Artigas. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful guys. I think, this hotel is a good choice for budget stay in downtown Montevideo.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I’m glad to read that other travelers had better rooms here than I, because mine was pretty appalling. I was passing through Montevideo on Easter night, which made it difficult to find a hotel room, but I suppose it helped at the Splendido, as the Irish pubs down below my window were quiet. I was in a single room seriously in need of some care – walls were dingy and needed painting, the bed felt like a brick, the faucet in the in-room sink did not simply drip, but RAN constantly, and the light bulbs in the overhead fixture and the table lamp with the old, stained lampshade didn’t function, so that I had only one 20-watt bulb by which to read at night. I mentioned this to the desk clerk when he checked me in, but there was no attempt to remedy the problem, nor an apology.

I understand that no one’s going to rush out on Easter night to buy light bulbs, but at the very least, someone could clean the dirty cobwebs out of the corners of the room sometime. I passed by a 5-bed dorm room, and it was more cheerful, with freshly painted walls and clamp-on desk lamps on a few of the bunks. Was I simply given the one room in the place that’s been neglected for 4 decades? I don’t quite get it; I’ve stayed in hostels in several countries that provided quite nice rooms for this price. This was my last chance to get a good night’s sleep and a hot shower before a flight home much later in the day, and the Splendido failed at providing me with either.

There were some appealing aspects. The location was excellent for visiting Ciudad Vieja and the city center. The young guys at the front desk were exceedingly friendly, helpful, and patient – one explained in great detail how to catch a bus to a museum I wanted to visit that’s so far north, it’s off the Montevideo tourist maps, and I got there with no problems whatsoever. They were also helpful with cabs and stored my suitcase all day until I had to go to the airport. The retro, mid-century modern décor is fun, and the public areas are spacious and attractive for a hostel.

Splendido is marketing itself to gay tourists, some of the staff is gay, and it’s a place where it’s comfortable to be out of the closet (even if my room felt like a closet). But I didn’t feel as if the heterosexual backpacking crowd was mixing all that well with the gay men and travestis, and I can’t imagine any middle-class gay men I know in the US spending more than 2 minutes here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank springbyker

Travellers are raving about these Montevideo hotels

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 3 April 2013

The hotel is very unique, great decoration, really good atmosphere. 40s/50s decoration, really well kept, the corridors and the rooms are a pleasure for the eyes. The breakfast room and kitchen were great. Enough tables to have a chat or be left on your own if you wish to.
Bathrooms were very clean and staff really friendly and helpful.
Very central and well located, in front of Teatro Solis and next to Plaza Independencia. The street where it's at, Bartolome Mitre, is VERY VERY noisy, so if you're staying for a weekend, avoid the rooms on that side. But even though I couldn't sleep the first night (three Irish pubs with Brazilian impromptu batucada), I loved the room. Well recommended for a chilled out stay in Montevideo

Room Tip: Rooms that go to Bartolome Mitre street will be very noisy. All others will be fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Peresvet
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I spent here 2 nights. We booked a twin room with shared bathroom, however due to an error in booking system we were provided by a larger room with 6 beds, in fact dormitory. But we were not disappointed, because the whole room, very spacious was at our own disposal. The hotel had very unusual interior, full of antique furniture and accessories. Notwithstanding hotel`s age and atmosphere everything was clean, and hotel staff was friendly and helpful. They provided simple but nice breakfast including coffee, local specialty dulce de leche and fruit. Hotel guests can also use the kitchen for self-service. Hotel location is near famous Teatro Solis, close to Plaza Independencia and to the city centre. The fact I did not like was a loud noise in the night from the partying in the downstairs restaurants. As a whole I was satisfied by my stay in this simple budget hotel which had its own style.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends