“A beautiful restaurant with very good but pricey cuisine”
Review of Francis Restaurant

Francis Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 1,089 Restaurants in Montevideo
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Sushi, Mediterranean, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Based on the great reviews on Trip Advisor and the close proximity of the restaurant to my hotel I decided I simply had to check out this highly reviewed restaurant.

Francis is a very beautiful and upscale, yet comfortable restaurant in a very trendy urban neighborhood. I was immediately greeted and seated upon walking in at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. There were at least three waitstaff who attended to me and the service was absolutely stellar.

I was provided a very extensive interactive wine list courtesy of a tablet. Regrettably it wasn't the iPad with which I am most familiar. but no subtraction points for this. :) With a little practice, I learned to navigate it okay, and with the help of my server, we selected a very nice Malbec.

For starters, I ordered the ceviche which was without doubt some of the finest I've had anywhere in South or Central America and certainly better than anything I've had in the US.

For my entrée, I select the lamb and mushroom risotto. This proved to be a very interesting dish, but fell slightly short of my expectations. The risotto itself was wonderful, but the lamb was a bit tough, though certainly not bad, just not quite flavored to my liking. In other words it was just a little bland. Likewise the sauce was just slightly underwhelming. But overall, it was a nice meal and quite satisfying. The portions of both the appetizer and the entrée were quite large.

Now for the best part: when you visit this restaurant, and I suggest you do, don't leave without having their panqueque dulce de leche! It was fabulous, and made the meal and more than made up for the risotto which was good but not fantastic. This was easily some of the best dulce de leche I have ever enjoyed in my life and is a must-have when you go. Coupled with a fabulous espresso, it consummated an overall great meal. It IS quite expensive, so be prepared.

I chatted with the owners prior to leaving and found them very warm and amicable and was happy to have supported them. I highly recommend this restaurant. The entire staff was quite professional and very accommodating. You almost certainly enjoy your experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,699)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent restaurant for couples, friends and family. The owner like to attend all people personally and provide tips about food. Ask for the wine made specially for the restaurant, it is excellent.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Good (but pricey) restaurant in a good area. Food is delicious and there is a lot of options to choose from.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Going to Francis is to go to one of the best restaurants in Montevideo. The people is very kindly, the service and food from the bests. It's a safe place in a very nice place of Montevideo

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The food is great - no matter what you are having. The service is great, no other restaurant in Montevideo has better service. The place is beautiful, cozy and inviting. The prices are expensive but are worth every peso por special occasions!