“Big Name less substance”
Review of Regency Golf Hotel

Regency Golf Hotel
Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hotel is located in excellent area just walking distance from Rambla , with shopping nearby
So full marks for location
But it is too small , reception is hardly any area , no proper conference rooms for business meeting
the rooms also are smaller even to fit 2 bags was not very easy . The refrigerator was making annoying noise ,
Clean rooms though
But I wouldn't call it value for money ,is expensive for the charges
Try Sheraton which 2 blocks away and not big difference in the price

Room Tip: Take room on upper floors , and specifically ask for size and placement of refrigerator ,it was just...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Romina P, Gerente at Regency Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Sir, thanks a lot for your comments. The Hotel has two Meetings Rooms available, the Urbano Conference Room and the Urbano Ball Room. the Regency Golf has 3 different categories of room, also Suites are available. We hope you enjoy your next stay with us. Regards, Ilana Gateno. general Mgr.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Hotel was in a great location - Punta Carretas, with a large shopping mall, restaurants and laundry service 2 blocks away. The hotel staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The rooms were a decent size, clean and modern. They have underground parking for about 5 cars but it not easy parking in there, extremely tight. You can park on the street as well. I would not recommend getting a massage as the lady was not very good. We really enjoyed staying here and will gladly do so again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danny R
iega, Gerente at Regency Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Sir.
Thanks a lot for your comment.
We appreciate your time spent writing about your last stay at the Regency Golf.
We hope to host you again soon in you next visit!
Regards, Ilana Gateño General Mgr.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel for over 6 weeks while I was working in MVD with my family (wife, 2 kids). We stayed in a suite.

The good things:
-room is relatively clean (see "the bad" for details)
-room is bright and has a nice view
-Great location, near mall, Rambla, beach, ferria , plenty of restaurants (See our review of Philomene's Cafe 1/2 block away!)
-Breakfast was pretty good, but it never changes so after a couple weeks it didn't seem so great. But they regularly have lunchmeats and cheeses, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrown patties, bread & pastries, fruit, cereal, coffee, juice, water.
-not sure if regular rooms have them, but the suite had a fridge and microwave.
-underground garage...very tiny, it won't fit anything larger than a Toyota Camry, but if it fits, its nice to use.
-We looked at several other hotels in person and this one actually looked pretty good comparatively.

The Bad:
-Despite having a suite, the room was very tiny. If you folded the futon out in the "living room" you couldn't use the desk.
-Food: Decent enough selection but honestly everything was so-so at best. The coffee wasn't good, the eggs are runny, the bacon is nearly raw, etc.
-The service at the hotel is terrible. There were a few diamonds in the rough who were friendly and helpful, mainly the doormen and a front desk woman named Xiomena who also spoke a little English. Generally though few of the hotel workers were friendly and customer service seemed to be a foreign concept. I have a co-worker who is a Uruguayan attorney who even commented how rude and unpleasant the staff was.
-Service: several times I requested to have a taxi called and I requested it 10 minutes before I needed it. When I would get downstairs the front desk people would see me and THEN call the taxi so I would wait for another 5-10 minutes.
-Restaurant: On several occasions we watched a table leave from the restaurant and the wait staff would clear the dirty dishes but leave any silverware that appeared to be unused on the table. Then they would reset the table with the potentially dirty silverware. When I mentioned to them that the previous customers could have licked their fork clean, sneezed or coughed on it, they looked at me like I was crazy.
-We watched on several occasions as all the tables in the restaurant were filled. Customers would leave a table and the wait staff wouldn't bother to clean it for waiting customers. Several times we saw customers leave because they couldn't get a clean table. I actually had to clean my own table off on a couple of occasions, which was very frustrating.
-We watched the restaurant staff take a plate that was on the buffet for hours with vinegar and oil on it and put the plate back on the clean plate stack.
- The bathroom seemed to constantly smell like urine. I think it was the bidet, but it could have been the drain. Whatever the case, we always kept the door closed and put up with the smell when we needed to use it.
-Bathroom has no vent or airflow. So there was no place to hang beach towels or swim suits where they would dry.
-The bed sheets are too small, so every morning we'd wake up partly on the mattress.
-The futon is very uncomfortable.
-Every few days all of our key cards would stop working so we'd have to go down to the front desk and have them re-programmed.
-The WiFi signal inside the bedroom in the suite was poor (however in the "living room" the signal was strong).
-There is only one TV in the suite and it's in the bedroom.
-These are personal opinions but the bed was way to firm for us. Also, the rooms are decorated in a contemporary style (lots of white, black, glass and metal) which we really don't care for, we felt it was a very "cold" room.

We noticed a lot of these things because we had been at the hotel for so long. I would say a short stay wouldn't be bad, but that's because you wouldn't have seen all that we saw. We actually were looking to move after the first week or two, but it was peak season and couldn't find a place for the duration of our time. As soon as we were able, we moved.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank JayNVero

Dear Sir,
Thanks a lot for you detailed comment.
We hope they help to improve in all our areas especially in the one you mentioned. I am sure we will surprise you with more amenities in the room and we will recommend you a better accommodation for a family long term stay at the Regency Golf.
Hoping to meet you personally soon,
Sincerely, Ilana Gateño General Mgr.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

In 2013 Carnival, we spent a couple of days in Montevideo. We have selected this hotel after consulting TripAdvisor. It was a good experience. Attentive personnel, good breakfest and good food. Selection of wines in the restaurant, only reasonable but the relation cost x benefit, was good. Excellent location, nearby the Rambla, Puerto Carretas Shopping Center and good restaurants and also close from the old and historic part of the city.

Room Tip: Try to reserve rooms with a view to the Golf Club. They are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir,
Thanks a lot for your words.
We appreciate your comment about your last stay at the Regency Golf.
We hope to host you again soon, please check our Special Promotions to visit Montevideo!
Regards, Ilana Gateño General Mgr.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

In February of 2012, my wife and I stayed at the Regency Golf Hotel near the Rambla which is the ocean side avenue next to the extensive beach. We used the hotel as our base from which we traveled and returned over a period of 3 weeks. We stayed at the hotel on 4 separate occasions during that period. We did side trips to Argentina, Brazil and the La Rocha province of Uruguay. We have stayed at many 5 star hotels and while this hotel may not have spacious common areas nor sports amenities, we loved the staff, the service, the location, and the warmth of the hospitality. We were impressed by everyone from the door man, the wait staff, the receptionists, and up to the wonderful hotel manager. My wife and I are readying ourselves for another winter vacation and for the first time in my life, I miss the personnel and the hotel so much, I wish I was going back there soon. I hope to visit there again. Oh, by the way, the area around the hotel is urban with great shops, a gigantic mall, abundant quaint family owned restaurants and of course, romantic walks along the Rambla. I want to be there tonight!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rick L

Dear Guests,
Thanks a lot for your words…we want to see you again!
It´s feel full to read comment like yours, we expect to host you soon and make another great stay at the Regency Golf!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

I traveled with my family to Montevideo to celebrate my father's 80th birthday and had a great stay at the Regency Golf. Loved the rooms, decor, sheets, spacious bathroom, yummy breakfast, good options at restaurant, free WiFi and most of all, amazing service. The location of RG is excellent, close to gourmet restaurants, shopping mall, public buses, beach and more.Thanks to Nicolas, Gaston, Richard and the whole staff of Regency Golf for a great stay. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guests,
Many thanks for your words! How nice to know you remember all the names from such a lot of great people! They are here waiting for you to come back…
We hope to host you soon at the Regency Golf, please do not hesitate to contact as in you next visit.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

The hotel is modern and confortable. Must admit that the breakfast and food quality is above average, wifi coverage is great (excellet speed).
However, when comparing it's price to other similar hotels in the area it lacks a lot of "must have": the gym is located in a really small room, lot to improve in this area.
The room didn't appeared to be cleaned with a lot of "effort" and the A/C is extremelly noisy.
To sum up, the hotel deserves to be considered as a valid option. I would return on a next trip. However, study other alternatives before making your final call.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Piloteador

Dear Guests,
Thanks a lot for your honest and detailed comments. We need them to grow and improve.
We apologize for any inconvenient caused.
We hope to surprise you in your next visit to Montevideo, please do not hesitate to mention you are a repeater.