“Pleasant and well-run accommodation”

Casa Sarandi Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 34 Montevideo B&B and Inns
Biloela, Australia
“Pleasant and well-run accommodation”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in November 2013 whilst on a trip from Australia. We had booked through the Casa Sarandi website and had good communication with Karen beforehand so everything was well-organised.

Unfortunately, the property is on a very busy street and we had issues finding it and then being able to stop somewhere close by and unload our luggage, so we ended up returning our hire car and then catching a taxi. It was all good after that.

Karen was waiting for us and helped us inside and gave us plenty of information about the casa and the local area.

The accomm is situated on the 3rd floor of the apartment building. There is a lift and stairs. The down side about the access when we were staying there was that there was all sorts of issues locking and unlocking doors and I felt this was a fire safety risk (as did one of the other guests who were staying there at the time). This was not Karen's fault though and she had been trying to make improvements to the system, but building management were not playing the game.

We stayed in the Mascara room and it was nicely decorated. Double bed, storage for clothes, and enough space to lay our bags out. There is air con and a ceiling fan.

The bathroom was small, but clean. There was a tiny outdoor patio, but probably not much use due to the traffic noise.

The windows were double-glazed but there was a great amount of street noise that could be heard all day and most of the night. The street below is a major route for buses. Bad for noise and crowds, but good for travelling around if confident enough.

Also in Casa Sarandi is a shared lounge and kitchen. There is a computer and wi-fi (but best reception was in the shared areas).

The place is within walking distance of shops, the theatre, the Rambla and the port.

Even though Karen and Sergio do not live on site, they kept a check on things and were able to answer any queries and the business is a credit to them. Good Tripadvisor rating well-deserved.

Karen also organised our transfer to the airport and we had been able to keep our bags there after checkout.

Even with the few minor points noted, I would stay here again, if I ever head back to Montevideo.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Qldgirl1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Finnish first
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We discovered Casa Sarandi on your site and thought we'd give it a try. It was a real surprise. Karen was so welcoming, friendly and helpful - a good ambassador for Montevideo. Her daily website updates on events in Montevideo were extremely helpful. The apartment is so convenient to everything we wanted to see - and - the price was right!
We would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boltonrb
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My only concern with Casa Sarandi is that it may become so top-tier and glitzy that the only way to get a reservation involves being on the speed-dial list at Johnny Depp's cell phone.

Short of that outcome, I do not see myself staying anywhere else when I bunk in Montevideo.

Room Tip: Go for "Mascara" if you want to do some work: it has a perfectly sized- and located desk...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Very large and beautifully decorated apartment in the heart of ciudad vieja. Perfect location to venture out to Montevideo's old town during the day. Area can be a bit boring and empty at night but that may have been due to the Holidays. The owner provides exceptional service by explaining anything a visitor may want to know about the city and its attractions. Would definitely come back here!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
CasaSarandi, Manager at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thanks so much for the great review! You are absolutely right that the new year is a very quiet time in Montevideo. I am just looking now at the correspondence and see I wrote "You should be aware that at this time of year, most Montevideans are at the beach and so the city is extremely quiet, especially on public holidays and at night." From late January and for the rest of the year there is SO much happening at night in Montevideo, especially music and dance-wise. Then there's carnival which goes on from late January for at least forty nights ever year! You will have to come back and experience the "real" Montevideo in the future :) Regards and thanks so much again for reviewing us -- Karen
Graz, Austria
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the Sarandi Loft, which is a few blocks away from the guest house, perfectly located in the pedestrian zone (and therefore very quiet). If you don't want to stay at an anonymous hotel and prefer space and privacy, this is the perfect alternative. A large, stylish room, which is a true home away from home, including kitchen, which is not required as there are plenty of restaurants nearby. In walking distance from everything (Teatro Solis, Plaza Matriz, Plaza de Independencia...). Karen is a lovely hostess and provided us with lots of information about what to do in Montevideo and surroundings. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carmencarola
CasaSarandi, Manager at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Carmen thank you so much for the review! Yes, it is amazing how for such a central location the loft is really so quiet. As you mention it overlooks the main pedestrian street, Sarandi. The cross street is a narrow one so is only used by cars, no buses or trucks. I remember you were concerned about the issue before you arrived, so I am so happy to read that you found it "very quiet". (Clarification for readers: The Loft and our Guesthouse are at different locations in the Old City. Casa Sarandi Guesthouse is two blocks away on a street where there is constant traffic. We have installed double glazing which the majority of guests inform us works perfectly, but for noise-sensitive guests, you may prefer the loft over the guesthouse.) And thank you so much for your informative updates via email of the rest of your visit to Uruguay - you have given me some great tips to share with future guests! Best regards and happy new year! -- Karen
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I travel often for work, so when taking vacations I prefer to choose hotels that are less “generic” than the chain hotels where I frequently stay. I was going over TripAdvisor looking for options in Montevideo, and luckily I decided to check the Bed & Breakfast section, where I found Casa Sarandi. It was great. Even though, more than a B&B you get a room in an apartment, the help we got from Sergio and Karen was excellent: from the time I emailed them to ask about availability and their help getting a reasonably priced rental car, to giving us suggestions of things to do when we arrived. Karen was waiting for us and showed us the house and explained the logistics of the kitchen, etc. The tips she gave us of what to do and where to go were very useful. She was extremely nice and friendly. It turned out that we had a lot in common, including that they used to live in the Washington DC area and Sergio used to work in the same place I do. I was on this vacation with my 8-year old son and my best friend from Chile. My son and I slept in the large bed and my friend used the sofa-bed where my friend slept. Unfortunately, the sofa-bed was not that comfortable. Otherwise our room was large, clean and well lit. The kitchen is well equipped. The bathroom, though small was ok. Internet worked well. The only inconvenience we had was that one of the other guests (that we only saw when they were leaving) had decided to keep the B&B’s only hair dryer in their room. We told Karen and she apologized profusely and said they would get a second one, just in case. In summary, it is a nice place, reasonably priced, run by great people and in a convenient location.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Carolina, thank you so much for the lovely review. We were really happy to hear that " the help we got from Sergio and Karen was excellent: from the time I emailed them to ask about availability and their help getting a reasonably priced rental car", we do try to make everyone's stay with us as smooth as possible. After you left I did get that second hairdryer - thanks for having mentioned it at the time! We really appreciate you having reviewed us after all this time. Have a wonderful new year and hope to see you again -- Karen and Sergio
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed in Casa Sarandi for two nights in September 2013. I cannot say enough good things about this accommodation.

The apartment was pretty, perfectly clean and very well kept. It is well located at the edge of the old town and close to the nice shopping street. There are good amenities on the same street as the apartment - corner shop, pharmacy, etc.

My room was beautiful & very cosy and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom and shower facilties were perfect. I rarely feel at home in hotel/B&B accommodation but Casa Sarandi was different. Because the room was so comfortable, I found it hard to get moving to see the sights on occasion!

I met Karen on arrival and her welcome & willingness to help was exceptional. I am quite well travelled and it is rare that I have come across this type of welcome. Karen was more than willing to help in any way she could.

In my view, Montevideo is underexposed to the tourist circuit and this is part of the reason why I enjoyed my short stay. Karen's tips on what to see and do were critical for me in getting the most out of my trip. I had the pleasure of being Karen's first Irish visitor - I now hope that I can convince many more to follow me.

Thank you, Karen, for making Montevideo a highlight of my South America adventure. I wish we had more time to chat during my stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Hi Declan, so great to get a review from our first Irish visitor! :) We are completely in agreement with you that "Montevideo is underexposed to the tourist circuit" and so glad to hear that "Karen's tips on what to see and do were critical for me in getting the most out of my trip." We absolutely love Montevideo (and Uruguay) having arrived here just over a dozen years ago ourselves, it's what we enjoy most - making sure that you get to see those places that really none of the guidebooks in the paltry space they usually give Uruguay, seem to know about.

Thanks for the kind words - and thanks for the lovely little reminder of Cork! It has pride of place in our living room at home :) All the best and hope to see you again at some point for a longer trip - Karen and Sergio