Museum of Pre-Columbian and Indigenous
Open today: 10:30 - 06:00
Review Highlights
Small interesting museum

Small but very interesting museum. Not everything is translated into English but it is very well... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Nnlsbin
via mobile
What exhibits they have are interesting.

Reviewed 17 December 2017
jantoby1
Chigwell, England

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Montevideo
from US$47.01
from US$48.00
from US$130.00
More Info
All reviews old building on display chilli iron exhibits
Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

Miserable collection of really gormless exhibits. And the art they were there to curate wasn’t very good either.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 21 April 2018

Though the building is somewhat nice inside (attractive staircase and skylight), the museum itself is weak overall and (unlike most MVD museums) they charge an entrance fee. Disappointing and not really worth visiting.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 17 December 2017

The museum's in an old building but I got the impression that it's a new museum as it has a new feel to it and relatively few exhibits. Half an hour was sufficient to see everything. Maybe I'm a bit biased, having visited the Pre-Colombian Museum in Santiago de Chile earlier in the trip, and the whole of the Montevideo museum exhibits would fit in a corner of the one in Santiago.

It's not well-known locally - nobody I asked on the street itself (I'm Spanish bilingual and have no difficulty in making myself understood) was able to point me in the right direction - even a group of 6 local police officers had never heard of it. I went back to a Museum (the Museo Historico Nacional) I'd just visited and asked the staff there, and they were able to give me directions.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 12 December 2017

I enjoyed the video about the various favorite cuts of beef for different countries. The museum is pretty small, so there wasn't much else to really see.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Most of the pre-colombian and all indigenous exhibits were closed for renovation. The only sparse ones we saw were of Mexican cultures. Cost is 100 pesos. Not worth the money or little time it required.

Date of experience: March 2017