“Massice swimming pool, nice walkaround area”

Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel
Ranked #23 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Baltimore, Maryland
“Massice swimming pool, nice walkaround area”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Pros:
Decent room
Amazing breakfast (though costly)
Massive, massive swimming pool. Great refresher during business trip.
Decent area to walk around-

Cons:
Used to be a Crowne Plaza. Not sure of changes since.
A little pricey.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Yes, it is a bit dated...but our room was comfortable and quiet with a great view of the harbour, and a cozy seating area for enjoying an aperitif. The location on Independence Square is perfect for exploring the Old Town. My only complaint was with the key card system which frequently did not work necessitating many long walks back to the front desk for re-coding.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Oak Park, California
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Upon arriving today, we were thrilled with our room. We are with a tour group and found ourselves in a suite - sweet! But looks can be deceiving....
It is an old hotel with a new looking front. The furnishings are old but not bad. We have a corner room with a marvelous view of the harbor area - Rm 1751.
Let me backtrack. Since we are with a large tour group, we usually go to the bar vs waiting in our room for our bags to arrive. I walked up to the bar and asked (IN ENGLISH) if they had a local beer and got a blank stare. He asked if I spoke Spanish and I apologized and said no. But really now hard is it to understand BEER when you are working in a US owned hotel chain in a large city? OK so I use some of my high school Spanish and ask for a vino blanco. Sauvignon Blanc. More blank looks. I finally wrote it down but then our tour guide came up and helped me. Funny thing, when SHE said Sauvignon Blanc, he understood. (The glass I got was bad. Bottle had turned but we paid and left it... ) When I was trying to pay the bill, charging it to the room, the bartender once again spoke very rapid Spanish to me and I said I didn't understand him. This is kind of funny, I guess. but he just repeated it LOUDER and said the same thing! If it weren't a Radisson or other American chain hotel, I'd just laugh it off but the Marriott in Santiago sure wasn't like this! (for another review)
After a fabulous dinner on the 25th floor with our group, we needed to unpack and shower. When I pulled back the shower curtain, I not only saw black mould all over but a big beetle that was still squirming around in the bottom of the tub. I'm a big girl and got it out without fussing but ICK! The shower head is so constricting that it was hard to get wet but I finally got the job done!
All in all, I guess it's not so bad. The bathroom is ICK but the rest seems to be OK. An arrogant or poorly trained bartender can be ignored. Tomorrow is another day and we're only here for 2 nights.
The location is EXCELLENT but the property needs updating. The mould in the bathroom is awful.

Room Tip: The higher the better. We are on the 17th floor and I can hear street noise even with the windows sh...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank LauraJ48
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel is perfectly located opposite the square of the republic. A few years ago was the most traditional hotel in Montevideo ( Victory Square ) then belonging to the Radisson chain. This is a 5 star Hotel which preserves the ancient luxury although in some sectors would need a touch of modernization . It has a fine restaurant "Arcadia" located on the 25th floor with the best views of the port of Montevideo. Also has a semi-Olympic heated indoor pool and outside sunbathing area. Also has the largest casino in the city including restaurant . Also an ice bar (-9 ° C ) in the subsurface. The rooms are spacious with details of distinction . The bathroom is large with large bathtub. The mini - bar has everything you need . The view from the rooms are very interesting especially at sunset . The hotel staff was very friendly considering the year-end dates on which the hotel was full . To sum up I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this great hotel and apart from this we got a late check -out without paying a bill, due to delays on our return.

Room Tip: Try to get the room above the 20th floor in order to enjoy the greatest sunsets.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MinistryGM
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This place is turning into a dump. Rooms very shabby with residual smoking smell very common (property is officially smoke free), smelly/mildewy towels, worn carpets, wifi mostly unworkable and very slow. Poor food choices with dining limited to obnoxious casino setting. World's most awful coffee is being served. Gym/spa dated with run-down facilities. Hot tub out of order throughout the year. No in-room benefits for Carlson elite members. Location is mediocre as very little decent restaurants or shopping nearby and distant to nice beaches is substantial.

Newly established policy for Club Carlson now banning issuing point for corporate rates paid through third parties! Consider the Holiday Inn next door for half price or the new Sofitel. Both are much better deals. Can's wait for the new Hyatt to open in 2015.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank KlausMaus139
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Needs loads of upgrades... Casino's sufficient for some fun... You might wanna skip their bar and head outside....Great location within the city....Near places to eat and some local bars....The rooms have great view of the city.....

Room Tip: Higher floors recommended
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel needs rooms and facility upgrades, everything still very old fashioned. I stayed few nights for business, overly expensive for what is has. Best part was the million dollar breakfast view (25th floor).
Good staff and service