“Very dark rooms”

Ranked #72 of 86 Hotels in Montevideo
Randers, Denmark
“Very dark rooms”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Good location close to Plaza Independiente - thought I wouldn't dare to go out at night in this area. Clean. Small and very dark rooms .. I didn't know that you could get 5 or 10 Watt bulbs (that's what it looked like). During summer rooms are very hot. No refrigerator - and no breakfast (a bad combination). Noisy - if you have one of the rooms next to to reception area and someone there decided to start a discussion. Shower is fine but poorly lit bathroom with no space to put your stuff. Very small TV set with blurred pictures. The old men at the reception speak no English.

When I was leaving the bill was in USD. I don't carry USD - so I asked to pay in the local currency pesos instead. Then the bill rose by almost 200 pesos (= 9 USD).

I would not go here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Gits85

Chapada dos Guimaraes, MT
Reviewed 1 September 2011

In the need of a hotel about two weeks ago in Montevideu I decided to stay at this hotel besides being concerned it was a terrible neighborhood. Me and my girlfriend were attended by a kind man who took us to the bedroom where we left our luggages and headed to the streets to drive around the city, when we returned it was like 8 pm and I stopped the car just in front of hotel and waited for my girlfriend to enter in the hotel so I would park my car in a private parking in the next corner, so she rang the entrance bell several times and got no response..so I decided to lock the car and ring the bell myself considering it was already dark in the night and the location is full of drug addicted people walking around all the time and not safe for a girl to walk around. I was then surprised and scared because it was having a heavy discussion inside the hotel and I couldn't know if it was an assault or somethiing similar, then and old man came to the door and cursed some bad words to me and my girlfriend from inside the front door and returned to inside. From this point both of us were really scared without understanding anything so we drove to Ibis and explained the sittuation to the staff who gently called police and asked them to verify if was there any occurence going on in there and called for over ten minutes in a row to the hotel Ideal phone number, then we decided to come back there considering it was passed one hour already and most of our stuffs were inside the hotel and at this time the old man who mistreated us before just attended us as everything was ok and peaceful, we got to the room and picked up our things but we had our second surprise...the miseducated old man locked the door and didn't allow us to leave asking for 50 dollars payment which caused the begining of a long and heavy discussion among us, it called the attention from other customers who came from the bedrooms so I asked them to call police because they wouldn' let me go unless I pay...after almost one hour under some type of kidnapping me and my girlfriend literally runned away when this mister needed to open the front door to other customers and we returned to Ibis where the service and room level are simply great and a bit expensive. So if you want to hear the opinion from an experient traveller "stay away from this hotel", it's located in the middle of a drug square and most custommers uses its rooms for application of drugs, smoking crack and prostituction, and I can't imagine how scared I would be if I was at the room during thid sittuation that I don't know yet what was all about, an assault, an extorsion maybe or just a discussion between that crazy agressive old man with other customers.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank atilamanager

Travellers are raving about these Montevideo hotels

San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina
Reviewed 29 April 2011

This hotel stands out for its reasonable price tag and the welcoming staff & owner, who go at great lenghts to make you feel comfortable. Rooms are large with clean bathrooms and balconies, some facing the street. Located centrally, close to old town and to bus stops. This hotel is much better value than any Montevideo hostel mentioned in the guidebooks, who often quoted higher prices for poor dorm facilities!.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roverinstyle
Copenhagen
Reviewed 15 January 2011

For the budget conscious traveller, this might be the best Montevideo has to offer. It it located just one block from the main street of Av 18 de Julio and two blocks from Plaza Independencia. Despite being a one star hotel, this is probably on of the most decent of the budget hotels scattered around the central Avenida Uruguay area.

The hotel is located in a beautiful and stylish corner building, with shops at ground level, and hotel rooms at first and second floor (2nd/3rd). Rooms at the upper floor has higher ceilings, and very nice balconies (see photos).

Rooms are simple, but clean. Small TV, fan, telephone. Bathroom with bidet, shower, hot water. (they do have cheaper rooms with shared bathrooms at U$450, while I paid U$600, or US$30). Payment with credit cards possible, but expect to pay a fee.
There is no wifi, but I stayed at room #1, and catched the unsecured signal from a small electronics shop next to the hotel. Room #1 is located literally one step from the reception. There is also a small lounge next to the reception/lobby, with sofas and TV, but I only saw it used by the staff. Reception is open 24h, but the staff speaks Spanish only!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo