“What a perfect find!”

Puerto Mercado Hotel
Ranked #34 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Only a couple of blocks - easy walking distance from the ferry terminal from BA. The street looks a bit scary and vacant at first but after being in a mega city like BA you have to adjust to a different pace.

You get the feeling that you love this place the moment you walk through the door. The design details are fresh and fun, the space feels perfect! All staff are extremely professional and friendly. The hotel is impeccably clean and in pristine condition. Spaces are on the smaller side but very adequate. Website photos are real..

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wayouthere

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We spent a night at Ak Design Hotel Uruguay, had a great experience the staff where very professional, ready with answers to any questions we had. The hotel is modern with very clean lines, very we'll decorated, we highly recommend next time you come to Uruguay

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Virginia S
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We really liked the central location, the service level (very polite staff), the cleanliness and the room standard. We had a pleasant week with the exception of the breakfast, which was sub-par to say the least. No variety, nearly undrinkable coffee and cold eggs and sausages.

If the breakfast quality was uppered, this hotel would be near-perfect. As for now, it's a solid 4/5 with high priceworthiness.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelCouple2014
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at AK Design for 3 nights, it was fantastic. The hotel is very nicely decorated and clean. Our room was a bit small but extremely functional, the mattress and pillows were truly high class and provided for a terrific night's sleep. There is a large flat screen tv with Direct TV including HBO. The A/C works great and was very much appreciated after a long day in the sun. The bathroom is well appointed and has high end furnishings. The breakfast that is included was very good and had great coffee, fresh fruits, eggs and pastries. The hotel is a stone's throw away from the famous Mercado where you can get terrific grilled meat in the typical Uruguayan style. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Babekey
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is a brand new hotel which was build recently build by the owner who they say lives in Canada. Nice hotel, very gentle staff, humble breakfast, clean rooms and towels and beds, one corner from central market. The hotel is located in a ugly part of town but don't let this bother you, it is just a port neighborhood but quite more safe than in many other cities on the first world. Rooms are divided basically in three sizes but considering that you will use the hotel just as an place for you to sleep and take your shower, nothing can be better a the prices they practice. Someone says that this hotel is located in a crime zone, I don't agree, it is located in a ugly zone but no crimes happened during my stay and I did not hear about any crime recently. As in any place you should take care about the hours to go out walking and as it is located quite close to the best places in downtown my suggestion is to get a cab if you intend to come back late in the night when the streets around the hotel will be empty as the are all day in the weekends.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher room facing the lateral closed street but don't worry if you can't. Be s...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FirstCommander
Reviewed 7 December 2013

On the way back from the Plaza Independencia, a group of youngsters engaged in an effort to take my wallet from me in a more or less coordinated "attack". There were 3 of them, very young (maybe even preteen), but one of them hurled a fairly large hunk of concrete at me and hit me with it when their attempt proved unsuccessful. Maybe they were angry or frustrated, I don't know. I wasn't hurt, fortunately, but sooner or later someone will be.

I had asked the front desk if the area was safe when I arrived and was assured it was. That is not true. It is safe in the daytime, not at night. True, I was alone, but I am 6'2" and 225 pounds, not the kind of easy target most muggers go after.

When I told the front desk, they were sympathetic and offered to call the police, but what was the use? They were long gone, so I declined the offer, especially when the manager told me that the cops basically have a "catch and release" policy when it comes to these kids. The manager told me the local government had a plan to install video cameras around the area, which is near the port in the old city (Cuidad Viello), but I am doubtful that will work.

It's too bad, because I would have awarded a 3, maybe even 4 star rating just for the facility. The staff tries to be helpful, but here again, what can they do when they call a cab and 30 minutes later it still hasn't arrived?

My advice is don't go here, but if you do, take a taxi at night, even if your'e only going a few blocks. My incident occurred within 2 blocks of the hotel.

When I mentioned this to some of my business connections in Montevideo, they were not surprised and said that the area near the port where the hotel is located is very well known for a lot of crime.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
11  Thank jonchaley
Santiago P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Puerto Mercado Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Mr. Chaley,

Thank for taking the time to write this review. We're very sorry about the crime episode that you been through, but there it has no connection at all with the hotel if you consider that it happened a mile away from it. AK Design Hotel always has taken security measures to ensure passenger's safety in a two blocks radio from the hotel, but this episode did't happened in this area.
We're glad to know that you would have give us a good feedback just for our facilities.

Best regards,
Santiago Paz

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel completely met my expectations: clean, comfortable and the staff was very helpful. The facilities are new and modern. If there any negative point is the breakfast: the same type of bread and cakes, a bit poor to someone who got a whole week as I. For a few days, it's not a big problem. Although very close to the market and Teatro Solis, the place is completely desert after 8 pm and quite dangerous for walking. At night, use taxi to get out and back to hotel, always.

Room Tip: There is a very relaxing water fountain, choose a room facing the fountain for zen feelings!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business