Hotel America
US$120
US$108
HolidayInn.com
  • Breakfast included
Orpheo Express Hotel(Montevideo)(Great Value!)
US$67
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgran hotelroom was cleanyogurthamcentral locationfront desk staffnice hotelwalking distancegreat optionrecommend this hotelvisiting montevideoexcellent locationcityrefrigeratorfurnitureclosetrates
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Booked this hotel for my mother who was born in Montevideo. She arrived with her friend and despite the previous front desk clerk advising he would take care and park the car (carpark 3 blocks away), the person who served her said he would not do such a thing. It was freezing and her friend parked the car and returned. The rooms side lamps didn't work, the air con wasn't functioning properly only one setting and when they were checking out there were 3 men behind the counter and not one helped my mother and her friend with the 4 luggages while her friend went to pick up the car. However, an old lady came out of the lift with one bag and they all ran to her. Terrible service, front desk extremely unfriendly despite knowing the language. Would not recommend to anyone. Awful.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere- plenty more hotels to choose from especially given that its so expensive during peak season.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank tig1000
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The hotel offers good value for money, as it is located very central and breakfast, which was good, is included.
Bad was the fact that our rooms weren't done when we arrived and that front desk didn't tell us but just sent us to the room. Only when we told the cleaning lady that there was waste left she told us the room needed to be done jet. These things can happen but the people at the front desk did not apologize and even argued hard with some other people whose room also hadn't been done.
The room was not 100% clean even after the cleaning lady had passed, especially the bathroom.
Nevertheless the location and the price make up for it: We only needed to take a bus to the central bus terminal tres cruces, everything else was in walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Irene G
Reviewed 14 August 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I liked Hotel America. First of all, it has a great location, two steps from the main street, in a very lively area. Frequent buses can get you to the main bus station in about 15 minutes. Montevideo`s old town is in a walking distance. The hotel itself and my room were quite comfortable and clean. Front desk staff was helpful and spoke good English. My room was equipped with air condition, TV, all necessary furniture and clean bathroom. There was a lift. Breakfast was also nice, served in a clean and cozy dining room. And overall, the price was quite reasonable so I value this hotel as having a good quality for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Azad690
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The hotel was alright. I mean, the price was right, and its right off the main avenue in Montevideo so if location is what you crave, it seemed to be a great spot for transpo, cafes, and Old Town.

But that's where it ends. The rooms have paper thin walls, pretty horrible wifi, and the noise from the street woke me up each morning, despite being on the 7th floor.

The breakfast was your standard fair, the coffee ok, but not great. The juice I don't think was juice, but like some knock off Kool-Aid.

The weirdest part was the end of the trip, the front desk called a cab for me and the whole interaction seemed a bit off. The price also seemed very high, but alas, I was running late and wasn't really in a position to argue and heckle or look for another option. A friend from Montevideo was with me and so walked out with me to the cab when it arrived. The driver thought my friend was the dude from the hotel, and he secretly slid some money into the hand of my friend, smiled, and winked. My friend was confused, and started walking down the street. The cab pulled up to him, asked if he worked for the hotel, and when he said no, he asked for the money back.

So my advice is to avoid using them to call for a taxi, it seems like there is a nice little bait and switch going on there!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business