“Excellent value nice hotel in a good location”
Review of Hotel Palacio

Hotel Palacio
Ranked #25 of 87 Hotels in Montevideo
Reviewed 7 February 2010

My husband and I and another couple stayed here for three nights in mid January. The hotel was clean, staff was very helpful (limited English) and the location was convenient to cafe's, taxi's, and good shopping. My husband and I lucked out and were able to get one of the balcony rooms and our friends stayed two floors below us. We arrived on a Saturday night and were prepared for the noise. Ear plugs worked great! The other two nights were quiet and we enjoyed our stay very much. We felt safe at all times. The beds were extremely comfortable and the view form our balcony was very nice. The three stars for room and sleep quality are because the room was very small (but adequate) and the noise on Saturday, which did not bother us or our friends, but people should be aware.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 January 2010

I didn't have very high expectations considering it cost just $32us/night. Were very happy with the room, the large bathroom, the friendly staff and the location. With our very limited Spanish, we requested a wake up call at 3:45 am and a taxi pick up at 4:15 am and the staff happily complied, walked us out and made sure we got into the waiting taxi. That's great service for such a small and reasonably priced hotel. The reviewer who complained about the noise is right - the hotel is right across the street from a loud bar with lots of young people partying outside. However, we couldn't hear them from our room (room 56) and while it made leaving the hotel at 4 am interesting, it was no problem for us. Recommendation to anyone who travels, always carry earplugs. We do because you never know when you will need them (although we didn't at the Hotel Palacio).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2010

For the price this is a wonderful place. The hotel is old and has an antique lift! Very friendly, helpful staff who speak no English. 6th floor room was clean, just big enough with great balcony. Very central position. No breakfast available

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2009

With great pleasure, allow me to be the first to give Hotel Palacio a ¨Terrible¨ review. I am actually writing this from their complementary internet-connected computer after a night of absolutely no sleep. Once my wife gets out of bed, we are leaving early, after only 1 night of our 2 night reservation. And without paying, too!

We arrived here on a Saturday night around 11PM. I knew they had booked all the ¨Superior¨rooms from emailing them previously so we were put in the gem that is unit 57. Cool elevator to take us up to the 4th floor? Check. Sweet vintage skeleton key to open the door? Check. Decent looking room with large bathroom and shower? Check. Semi-comforatable bed? Semi-Check. Sweeping views of the city from the 7th floor terrace (If you don´t decapitate youself on all the rusty clotheslines up there)? Check. We´re off to a good start so far.

Fast forward to 1AM. We get back to the hotel from grabbing a late snack down the street and the noise has just begun. Due to my ignorance, I have no idea what the drinking age here is but it appears that teenagers just roll around the city with open containers and nearly all of them loiter on curbs and smoke. Yep, I sound like an old man don´t I? Actual age: 27. But I digress.... So, apparently the ¨coolest¨ place for these young people to hang around is a club RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from Hotel Palacio. And the bass will just wreck you. And the shouting and screaming will make you want to gouge your eardrums out. I had a whole roll of toilet paper shoved up each ear and was still screaming mercy. Some highlights of my night:

1:15 AM - I have opened and reshut the window about 10 times thinking somehow I will get these 100 year old wooden frames to ¨seal the sound out¨¨. Yeah right.
2:00 AM - 200 teenagers singing, in unison, a song I didn´t want to understand.
3:30 AM - I hit the rooftop balcony to do some people watching.
4:15 AM - Bottle smashing contest. Who can shatter the most on the pavement. Cool!
5:00 AM - Fight breaks out! 3 cop cars come. I consider jumping off said balcony.
8:00 AM - OMG I think the club just closed its doors. There is a God!!!

To summarize: This is a cheap hotel. No-frills is expected. But just about the only requirment I have of a hotel is that I can get some sleep in it. Fail. Hotel Palacio failed so miserably on this single requirement that I would, at all costs, avoid the place entirely.

Maybe Sunday through Wednesday nights are better. Maybe the side that doesn´t face the club is bearable. But I won´t be finding out because we are out of here! If you are cash-strapped and willing to take a gamble, this might be a good fit for you. But for $89 USD the #1 rated Punata Trouville Suites seem like a much better bet. Look for the upcoming review. The taxi to take us there can´t arrive soon enough!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mfabian
FernandoHotelPalacio, Owner at Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to inform you that after years of neighbors’ complaints, the Club that was located in front of the hotel was closed by Mayor. Currently, the nearest Pub is 100 meters away.

Anyway, despite the time elapsed, we apologize again,

Reviewed 20 November 2009

This was very good value for very little money--right in the heart of the historic district. The staff was very helpful and obliging to meet our needs.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Our stay at the Palacio was a highlight of our visit to Montevideo. Every staff member was helpful and accommodating. By the end of our stay we felt like family. The upgrade to the room on the 6th floor was worth every penny. Charming, clean, and simple room. Great balcony.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We stayed here for two nights. Our 'superior' room on the 6th floor was old and basic but it was clean and comfortable, and it had a massive balcony. The location of the hotel is perfect, right in the centre of things. The people who run this place are fantastic, apart from one cleaning lady, everyone else was very friendly, welcoming, and helpful. They don't have great English but they try their best! The man who works there made a phone call to a bus company for me also, as I didn't have good enough Spanish to do it. There is no breakfast provided but it's still excellent value for the prices they charge. Most hostels are more expensive than this place, but without the location or the service.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple