“Not a four star but good value”
Review of Paradise Inn

Paradise Inn
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here 20 years ago and it still hasn't lost it's charm. We rented the family room and had plenty of space for the 3 of us. The weather was wet and cold so we did lots of cooking in the room. Very convenient location for shopping, the dance competition and other Constitution week events. Don't let the lack of hot water or room service put you off! Close to the ocean too.

Cons: could have used a better sharp knife (although I found one in the bar later.
Internet is a bit expensive.
Stairway up to family room is a little steep.
leaky faucet kitchen sink
but
We still plan on staying again!

Room Tip: go for the family room or lovenest (ocean view and spacy)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Doug P
There are newer reviews for Paradise Inn

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I came as a walk in looking for a cheap quiet room. It was just what I needed. The room was clean and serviced everyday (except Sunday). Paid only $77 a night as a walk in. Unfortunately there was only one tv channel. The shower was good. There are a few Mosquitos, but was supplied insect coils.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Octomoo
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here for 2 weeks when my husband and I relocated to Rarotonga for his job. Tua helped me figure out where to buy fresh fish, Aliti the cleaning lady helped us when we had ants in our room (it's the tropics, what do you expect?! We never saw cockroaches though) and we were even upgraded to the honeymoon suite facing the sea for our last week, which was awesome. The waves drowned out the roosters, who crow all night and day long, something I'm now used to and hardly even notice.

I would recommend Paradise Inn if you want to be close to town, have a basic, functional, no frills accommodation with a kitchenette to make your own meals. Raro is not a cheap place, so you may not feel you get bang for your buck, but the whole island is like that. You also can't swim in front of the place due to the coral and shallow lagoon. Head to Muri, Titikaveka or Nikao if you want beachfront lounging with the option to swim.

Room Tip: Get the honeymoon seafront room if you can!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicolini22
Reviewed 26 February 2014

After 2 weeks travelling around New Zealand i decided to book myself a week in Rarotonga to relax before heading home to the UK. After having problems booking accommodation in Mauri i stumbled across Paradise Inn in Avarua, thank god i did!

The accommodation is basic but has everything you could need. I had a shower, comfortable bed, fridge and cooking stove in my room which was perfect. In the hotel there is also a lounge area with space to relax outside of your bedroom. There is also a beach area beyond the decking which is the perfect place to relax and read a book in the sunshine. The hotel is only less than 10 minutes walk from local supermarkets and restaurants, recommend trader jacks! There is also a bus stop right outside the hotel which can take you anywhere around the island.

However, the real appeal of this hotel is the staff. I travelled alone and have never been to this side of the world before. Straight away the owner of the hotel was incredibly friendly and constantly offered advice and help the whole time i was there. During my stay i had a really bad allergic reaction to something and Tua bought me ice and towels to my room really late at night ,to ease the itching, and further more insisted to come into work early the next day and drive me to the doctors the other side of the island. He waited for me the whole time i was at the hospital and drove me home. The lady who also worked at the hotel would come over and chat to me and keep me company which made such a massive difference to my trip. The hospitality was completely amazing and made all the difference to my time in Rarotonga.

If you are looking for an up-market luxuary hotel this might be the place for you but for good clean,accommodation with fantastic staff this is the spot. Thank you so much to everyone who worked at the Paradise Inn during my stay, i hope to visit again in the future!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank clh0990
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Paradise Inn has a lot of potential. It's a beautiful old building, with a wonderful terrace. The common area is very spacious and comfortable. It's also just minutes away from the heart of the capital town of Avarua (not that there is much to do or see there, but still..) and lies right on a pretty beach (which is not good for swimming as the water is very shallow at all times).

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. They might be a bit loud due to the roosters and guests talking loud on the corridor/passage, but one can get used to it.

The problem with the hostel is that the owners/managers do not seem to care too much about it. While the place is clean thanks to their Fijian cleaners, much of the equipment/amenities is in a bad state. The cooking facilities inside the rooms are old and borderline dangerous to use. The mosquito screenings are old and even broken in some places, etc, etc. The managers/owners are almost never there and in any case do not seem at all interested in their guests wellbeing or satisfaction. We heard that the place was for sale, so that perhaps explains their attitude.

The poor state of the facilities and the management's attitude means that the place appeared overpriced to us. While it is arguably among the cheapest places to stay in Rarotonga, charging people over 100$ for a night in a very basic studio is objectively excessive, even if the managers insist that it is cheap by the local standards. For this amount, one could easily get a nice room or even a batch in places like New Zealand or Australia, not to mention cheaper South Pacific islands.

In sum, it's a good, clean and basic option for those that need to be in town. Those who value good service, good beaches for swimming and proper facilities should look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Perhaps try to get a room facing the sea - they seemed much more quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JohnFowles
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed for one night in this charming two level accommodation as our flight to Aitutaki was the next day. Paradise Inn is located at the north side of the island at the outskirt of Avarua - the capital. I was expecting this to be a minus but unless you are staying in one of the resorts you need some kind of transportation anyway so being close to town might be an advantage.
Queen size bed upstairs, two single beds at ground level plus kitchen, shower and toilet.
No TV. Only hot spot Wi-Fi for Telecom subscribers.
A little bit of reno and TLC could improve this property a lot as it has a great potential. In conclusion, it is a comfortable budget accommodation- good value for the price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here twice on the days we flew in and out of Rarotonga. Close to the airport, the police station (for your CI driver's licence), the shops and several eateries. Very convenient and right on the beach.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaraAdelaide
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avarua
Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach
Kiikii Inn & Suites
#5 of 5 in Avarua
The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa
The Edgewater Resort & Spa

Been to Paradise Inn? Share your experiences!