“Happy times at Tiare”

Airport Motel - Tiare Village
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Happy times at Tiare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

We spent a month staying at Tiare whilst volunteering on Rarotonga. Adrienne was really friendly, approachable and helped us sort out a lot of activities with discounted prices. We stayed in the bus which was clean and spacious for the three of us, and came with mosquito nets in every bedroom! We also had access to the bbq, pool and free fruit off the trees. There's also a spike to practise coconut husking if you fancy a challenge! There's lot of roosters around but thats the case wherever you are on the island. The main house is available to use wherever you're staying at Tiare and has a tv, free dvd's to borrow as well as a payphone and a library. Tiare is in a great location, close to the Whale centre and town is within walking distance. All in all we had a great stay and Tiare provided great value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank originalcowgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

Bad service and bad quality of rooms. You are pretty much on your own there and seems that things are not working that well. But, if you are a backpacker and do not mind about filthy rooms, then just go for it, prices are ok. They have a lot of roosters around there that make a loud noise almost all the time.

Do yourself a favor: double your budget and have some quality for yourself.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Matej78
Tiarevillage, Manager at Airport Motel - Tiare Village, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Kia Orana Matt
You booked and stayed with us for 4 days. One should never pay to stay in filthy accommodations and advise others to do so and the prices are ok??? your message is confusing.. Cleanliness within the accommodation and the surroundings of Tiare Village is priority!! I recall two incidences: 1. was on your arrival.. we were there to meet you as per advised and waited 1/2 an hour then left..unfortunately with bookings I do not recieve photos of my guests and you were not standing at the normal arrival area as I advised you to do.. however on my return to Tiare I rang the airport office to enquire if you had boarded the flight they advised you did not, then I asked the reservation clerk at the office to check if anyone was standing around and they verified there was and I asked them to ask if your name was Matt and they advised it was you and within minutes I was at the airport to meet you..
the second incident: where we were missing each other during office hours - I was cleaning one of the units as you well know.. In acommodation such as mine I multi task.. however for the inconvenience I offered a free hour internet usage and an apology.. which you took and acceptable gratefully..
I guess this is what you refer to as bad service???.. I call it "over and above the call of duty".. As for the roosters they do not belong to Tiare Village this is a common problem all over the island in that regard I do sympathise unfortunately nature is what it is.. Keep it real Matt!
Thank you Tripadvisor for bringing this review to our attention.
Manager
Tiare Village
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Having read the other great reviews for Tiare Village we opted to stay here for our first couple of nights in Rarotonga as it sounded nice and was conveniently near the airport. It speaks volumes that we ended up staying there for the remaining 9 nights too! The prices are really low compared to other places on the island but despite that we felt like we were in paradise. There is a "back-packer" element to Tiare but it's much more than that - really chilled, laid-back and well run and not just aimed at teenagers on gap years!The lush gardens (inhabited by chickens) and the spotlessly clean room (with traditional Cook Island quilted bedspread, bathroom and kitchen equipment) next to the pool meant we had everything we needed. Although it was near the airport, there aren't many planes so that wasn't an issue at all - we didn't hear many. The beach in this part of the island isn't the best but everyone seems to hire a scooter anyway (we did) and you can be in Muri in 20 minutes drive through yet more lush, tropical scenery. It took about 10-15 minutes to walk from here to Avarua, the "metropolis" of Rarotonga where you'll find - oh at least 2 bars open after 5pm!! Last but absolutely not least I pay tribute to Adrienne, the most hard-working, knowledgeable and friendly resort manager you're ever likely to encounter.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emma S
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Towards the end of my RTW trip, I was lucky enough to visit paradise and stay with Adrienne at Tiare Village. The week I spent here was definitely a highlight! After staying in budget accommodation all over the world, I can honestly say this was one of the best. I had no idea what to expect and didn't even think someone like me, could afford a spot on a pacific island. Thanks to Adrienne and co. I had a truly wonderful, peaceful time, in a clean, comfortable chalet set in beautiful surroundings. Self contained with a fully equipped wee kitchen, perfectly adequate bathroom (piping hot water available but didn't feel the need in the tropics) and my own personal alarm clock (local roosters). In addition to the lovely, friendly Adrienne, there is a lot of info available on site plus tv and internet, in case you feel the need to touch base with the outside world. Should you want to chill out closer to "home", there is a private swimming pool set in the lush garden. Located close to the airport (a lot of flights to the island arrive super early or late) and the "town centre" (maybe 25 mins walk). You could also hire one of the bikes or scooters on offer (especially useful for night time) so you can make the most of your time on the island. Yes, there will be the odd insect of an evening (you are in the tropics) and yes, you may need a torch as the island is not covered in street lamps. I totally recommend this place for some well deserved rest and relaxation!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank DoraMonella
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed in Tiare Village for 2 weeks during Vaka Eiva paddling races. Adrienne was an excellent host and was able to answer all our questions (and we asked lots of strange questions from what is the middle foamy stuff in a coconut to directions to a massage therapist)...she knew all the answers....

This was by far the most inexpensive accomadations compared with the other teammates staying at other places. We had our own A-framed chalet which was tidy, but the carpets are a bit worn. There is no AC or ceiling fans but we were provided with floor fans when requested. The shower heads were too low for us so we had to bend a lot to wash our hair, but then just decided to shower in the main house, as well as cook in the main house to keep our chalet a bit cooler. This worked well but the dorms in the main house were pretty empty so may be different if the dorms were full... Also, due to the drought, the washing machines were not available but we just hand washed and hung up the clothing which dried quickly.

I didn't use the pool and we had a car so it was easy to get around, but it was about a 20-25 min walk to town. There was wifi available, but like all areas in Rarotonga, it is billed based on MB usage (as well as a time limit but you will use MB before you run out of time).

This was a great place to stay if you are looking for a good value. There are lots of bugs (on Rarotonga as a whole) but more so here, as you are in the jungle, and not a lot of breeze to keep the mosquitoes away.

Everyone was very friendly and I would stay here again.

We felt safe on the property and it was nice and quiet.

Room Tip: I would stay in a poolside room if they are available. They looked very nice from outside (I didn...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Nerang, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

We stayed at the Tiare Village which was recommended to us by friends who live in Rarotonga and I have to say that it was an excellent choice. The Tiare Village is close to all amenities - airport, city, markets, beaches - everything. This is a back packer type accommodation with a real difference. There are several choices of the type of room which you can occupy - we chose a unit by the pool. The unit was very clean and very tidy and totally self contained. We had separate toilet and shower and everything we needed for our short 4 day stay. As well as the accommodation being great, I must make mention of the staff who spend endless hours each day striving to keep the grounds and apartments clean and tidy. Adrienne who is the hostess is tireless and seems to be constantly on the go. She is kind and is always available to help in any way that she possibly can. The staff - likewise. It was lovely to walk around and always be greeted with a "hello" or "kia orana" and a beautiful smile. I would highly recommend Tiare to anyone. After all why would you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a hotel room simply to sleep, when you can get better and friendlier service for less than a hundred dollars. A big thank you to Adrienne and her staff for making our stay on this beautiful island absolutely awesome.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Delwyn C
Boaz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

From the hour I arrived until I (unfortunately) had to leave, this was a great spot. I was on the first leg of my RTW trip. Adrienne exceeded all expectations as a hostess. In fact, I will plan to stay in Tiare Village again when I return to renew my Cook Islands driver's license.
Pros:
1) Great parking for your scooter...you will want one in Raro
2) Very convenient to "town".
3) Excellent customer service...and I mean excellent...5 star hotels don't do as much without overcharge.
4) Very interesting global visitors..lent my walking stick to a young man from Finland...who claimed he would have broken his leg without it. The Swiss couple staying there gave me great tips that I used in Interlaken.
Cons:
1) The hostel guitar was broken...thus no music at night.
2) Because the facility has solar water heaters...the water could be cold at night...Just be aware..
3) Be aware of Rarotonga roosters! Locals say they are everywhere, and I even got a picture of one guarding the peak. They will wake you up at odd hours.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Gilbert W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avarua
The Islander Hotel
#4 of 5 in Avarua
Paradise Inn
Paradise Inn
#6 of 7 in Avarua

Been to Airport Motel - Tiare Village? Share your experiences!