“Definitely would stay again!!”

Airport Motel - Tiare Village
Wellington, New Zealand
“Definitely would stay again!!”
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed 8 nights at one of the bungalows by the pool and had no trouble with any of the other guests staying in the bungalows. We ended up becoming quite good friends with them.

Yes there are roosters which may crow at odd hours, but there are roosters all over the island. After the first night, my partner slept right through the roosters and I just wore ear plugs.I hardly got bitten by mosquitoes but taking repellent is a good thing anywhere you go.

The size of the room great for the price you pay. All basic essentials provided as listed on their website. Location was fine for us. Guess it depends what you want to do on your holiday. We just hired a scooter and travelled into town and around the island. We navigated the island more because we didn't stay at a beach resort. We made more use of our days and had a couple of quiet dinners using the kitchenette in the room which saved on our budget for doing other activities on the island.
Security wise, we didn't have any issues and any valuables we were able to put in the safe at the office.

Definitely would consider staying again as we had an awesome time and staff were super friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Ok, so we spent two and a half months travelling in the Cooks, and this, by far, was the worst place we stayed. And we are not "sensetives"- we stay in budget places, happy on a matress on the floor if the hostess is nice. But Tiare Village...

Here´s why you should stay away: Firstly for keeping your health in order, secondly for your sanity. There will be mould on the carpets, on the walls and in the showers, there will be mould on the floors and roof. There will be roosters in the garden, koo-kooing from around 5 in the morning, (some of the chickens walked into our kitchen and stole our food, funny, huh? Feels reall sanitary)
What´s worse? In the centre of the bungalows there is a pool witch is, literally, a spawning place for mosquitoes, so you will be bitten, oh- and dont expect the windows in your room to have closing mecanisms.

We stayed four nights, and not for one night did we sleep, because of the people having parties in the room next door,and there was never any staff there, so no one to complain to. Oh, the ever awake rooster´s never ending. kik-a-ricki.
Were we articularily unlucky?
The staff was absent for most of the day- the rent-out biscycles in such a condition they are a serious hazard on the road.

The place is very far away from the town and any of the beaches.

You deserve better than this! There are places in the same price-range on Muri beach, try Are Mango for example.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cee F
Tiarevillage, Manager at Airport Motel - Tiare Village, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Kia Orana
It appears from your other reviews staying in Vietnam, Bondi , Tiare Village, Wellington Backpackers you seem to have encountered similar situations. I must say though your review for Tiare Village is not only untrue but borders on a “little dramatic” don’t ya think! And looking at your previous reviews I would be sceptical about those also. Maybe the problem is not the accommodation?? Bland food for thought..
Manager
Tiare Village
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We spent a month staying at Tiare whilst volunteering on Rarotonga. Adrienne was really friendly, approachable and helped us sort out a lot of activities with discounted prices. We stayed in the bus which was clean and spacious for the three of us, and came with mosquito nets in every bedroom! We also had access to the bbq, pool and free fruit off the trees. There's also a spike to practise coconut husking if you fancy a challenge! There's lot of roosters around but thats the case wherever you are on the island. The main house is available to use wherever you're staying at Tiare and has a tv, free dvd's to borrow as well as a payphone and a library. Tiare is in a great location, close to the Whale centre and town is within walking distance. All in all we had a great stay and Tiare provided great value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank originalcowgirl
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Bad service and bad quality of rooms. You are pretty much on your own there and seems that things are not working that well. But, if you are a backpacker and do not mind about filthy rooms, then just go for it, prices are ok. They have a lot of roosters around there that make a loud noise almost all the time.

Do yourself a favor: double your budget and have some quality for yourself.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Matej78
Tiarevillage, Manager at Airport Motel - Tiare Village, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Kia Orana Matt
You booked and stayed with us for 4 days. One should never pay to stay in filthy accommodations and advise others to do so and the prices are ok??? your message is confusing.. Cleanliness within the accommodation and the surroundings of Tiare Village is priority!! I recall two incidences: 1. was on your arrival.. we were there to meet you as per advised and waited 1/2 an hour then left..unfortunately with bookings I do not recieve photos of my guests and you were not standing at the normal arrival area as I advised you to do.. however on my return to Tiare I rang the airport office to enquire if you had boarded the flight they advised you did not, then I asked the reservation clerk at the office to check if anyone was standing around and they verified there was and I asked them to ask if your name was Matt and they advised it was you and within minutes I was at the airport to meet you..
the second incident: where we were missing each other during office hours - I was cleaning one of the units as you well know.. In acommodation such as mine I multi task.. however for the inconvenience I offered a free hour internet usage and an apology.. which you took and acceptable gratefully..
I guess this is what you refer to as bad service???.. I call it "over and above the call of duty".. As for the roosters they do not belong to Tiare Village this is a common problem all over the island in that regard I do sympathise unfortunately nature is what it is.. Keep it real Matt!
Thank you Tripadvisor for bringing this review to our attention.
Manager
Tiare Village
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Having read the other great reviews for Tiare Village we opted to stay here for our first couple of nights in Rarotonga as it sounded nice and was conveniently near the airport. It speaks volumes that we ended up staying there for the remaining 9 nights too! The prices are really low compared to other places on the island but despite that we felt like we were in paradise. There is a "back-packer" element to Tiare but it's much more than that - really chilled, laid-back and well run and not just aimed at teenagers on gap years!The lush gardens (inhabited by chickens) and the spotlessly clean room (with traditional Cook Island quilted bedspread, bathroom and kitchen equipment) next to the pool meant we had everything we needed. Although it was near the airport, there aren't many planes so that wasn't an issue at all - we didn't hear many. The beach in this part of the island isn't the best but everyone seems to hire a scooter anyway (we did) and you can be in Muri in 20 minutes drive through yet more lush, tropical scenery. It took about 10-15 minutes to walk from here to Avarua, the "metropolis" of Rarotonga where you'll find - oh at least 2 bars open after 5pm!! Last but absolutely not least I pay tribute to Adrienne, the most hard-working, knowledgeable and friendly resort manager you're ever likely to encounter.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emma S
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Towards the end of my RTW trip, I was lucky enough to visit paradise and stay with Adrienne at Tiare Village. The week I spent here was definitely a highlight! After staying in budget accommodation all over the world, I can honestly say this was one of the best. I had no idea what to expect and didn't even think someone like me, could afford a spot on a pacific island. Thanks to Adrienne and co. I had a truly wonderful, peaceful time, in a clean, comfortable chalet set in beautiful surroundings. Self contained with a fully equipped wee kitchen, perfectly adequate bathroom (piping hot water available but didn't feel the need in the tropics) and my own personal alarm clock (local roosters). In addition to the lovely, friendly Adrienne, there is a lot of info available on site plus tv and internet, in case you feel the need to touch base with the outside world. Should you want to chill out closer to "home", there is a private swimming pool set in the lush garden. Located close to the airport (a lot of flights to the island arrive super early or late) and the "town centre" (maybe 25 mins walk). You could also hire one of the bikes or scooters on offer (especially useful for night time) so you can make the most of your time on the island. Yes, there will be the odd insect of an evening (you are in the tropics) and yes, you may need a torch as the island is not covered in street lamps. I totally recommend this place for some well deserved rest and relaxation!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank DoraMonella
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed in Tiare Village for 2 weeks during Vaka Eiva paddling races. Adrienne was an excellent host and was able to answer all our questions (and we asked lots of strange questions from what is the middle foamy stuff in a coconut to directions to a massage therapist)...she knew all the answers....

This was by far the most inexpensive accomadations compared with the other teammates staying at other places. We had our own A-framed chalet which was tidy, but the carpets are a bit worn. There is no AC or ceiling fans but we were provided with floor fans when requested. The shower heads were too low for us so we had to bend a lot to wash our hair, but then just decided to shower in the main house, as well as cook in the main house to keep our chalet a bit cooler. This worked well but the dorms in the main house were pretty empty so may be different if the dorms were full... Also, due to the drought, the washing machines were not available but we just hand washed and hung up the clothing which dried quickly.

I didn't use the pool and we had a car so it was easy to get around, but it was about a 20-25 min walk to town. There was wifi available, but like all areas in Rarotonga, it is billed based on MB usage (as well as a time limit but you will use MB before you run out of time).

This was a great place to stay if you are looking for a good value. There are lots of bugs (on Rarotonga as a whole) but more so here, as you are in the jungle, and not a lot of breeze to keep the mosquitoes away.

Everyone was very friendly and I would stay here again.

We felt safe on the property and it was nice and quiet.

Room Tip: I would stay in a poolside room if they are available. They looked very nice from outside (I didn...