“Loved this place!”

Airport Motel - Tiare Village
Reviewed 28 April 2014

After a three-week holiday in NZ, we thoroughly enjoyed 5 days at Tiare Village. Adrienne, the manager, was very helpful, friendly and kind. She picked us up at the airport (even though our flight was a bit delayed), and provided us with very helpful advice and suggestions for our stay. She drove us downtown in the morning where we were able to rent a motor scooter, which proved to be an excellent choice for independent transportation on the island. Adrienne also helped us make several other arrangements, including getting us to the airport for our flight home. She went beyond the call of duty in helping us retrieve a lost item (we had left in another location on the island) in the last few hours before our flight because she had the necessary personal contacts!

We had one of the poolside units, which included an adequate kitchenette and its own full bathroom. Compared to many other backpackers in which we've stayed, this was wonderfully palatial, clean and airy! The pool was clean and refreshing, and the well-kept grounds lovely, with many different palms and other trees as well as flowering bushes.

As other reviewers have noted, Roratonga is well-populated with wild chickens, and the roosters, while gorgeous to look at, do crow! Aside from that (easily remedied with some ear plugs), the setting is wonderful – feels “off the beaten track” and away from traffic. Even though it is near the airport, we were not aware of plane traffic. The Whale and Marine Museum is a short walk, and downtown Avarua with its many shops and restaurants is not much further. If you are there on a Saturday, don't miss the Saturday Market! Much for sale, and live performances too!

We would highly recommend Tiare Village to anyone who wants clean, quiet, low-key accommodations for a lovely stay on Roratonga.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sshodges13

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Adrienne has a great set up at Tiare Village. I stayed there close to 3 weeks and wasn't disappointed! Perfect if you're looking for a independent casual stay that's reasonable but doesn't have that young hostel feel. Really enjoyed my stay and would definitely book again at Tiare Village. Thanks again Adrienne!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Lovely garden surrounds. Good size,extremely clean and tidy poolside unit. Adequately equipped kitchen. Great water pressure in shower. Extremely comfortable bed. Only negative is, coathanger space could be deemed insufficient by guests.

• Stayed: March 2014
Tiarevillage, Manager at Airport Motel - Tiare Village, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Kia Orana Margaret,
Thank you for your review. Coathanger space, that is an interesting point I will pass this on to Don for his consideration.
See you next year
Manager

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Tiare Village is a little jewel in a tropical garden - conveniently located close to Rarotonga Airport and within a reasonable walk of the town centre, it is a warm, funky, comfortable place with a relaxed casual atmosphere. I stayed in a single-room unit which was really good value for money and more than adequate for my needs. The whole place is managed by Adrienne who is as friendly, helpful and efficient as legend would have it. If my experience is typical then no wonder that Tiare Village is so popular and wins so many awards. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed in a shared dorm room. Maria ran the place while Adrienne was on holiday, and had a hard time coping (even though there were hardly any guests as she was turning people away so she wouldn’t have to do so much). Alot of her time was spent sitting around smoking, and moaning to guests about how she wasn’t getting enough sleep (from having to pick guests up during the night); how she was not being paid for doing this job; all the things she’d like to change about the place (turn it into a café/gallery), and/or how she was going to have the place closed down. I certainly wasn’t looking to have my “hand held” or anything, but as a first-time visitor to Raro and travelling alone, I did have some occasional questions. I don’t care how cheap a place is – as a customer I should NOT be made to feel like I am being bothersome for being proactive and making simple, standard requests (you’ll notice in positive reviews, what people value most is the friendliness and helpfulness of their host – you don’t need to stay at a resort to get this!). My holiday was intended to be half relaxing at my chosen accommodation (and meeting new people there), and half getting out and about. Both were made difficult here and I felt like I was “walking on eggshells” as Maria had decided to take all her frustrations out on me on my second day here (I accidentally locked myself out of the dorm room – heaven forbid!). I was very shocked and upset to be treated this way, and don’t feel anything I did justified such a reaction. I’ve stayed at many backpackers throughout NZ and Australia and NEVER come across an attitude like this before. What a huge favour she did asking me to leave later (I’d asked to leave after the first bout of rudeness but she’d apologized and insisted I stayed). All I did this time was finally pluck up the courage to ask her to book a tour for me (and a new friend staying there) but as expected, it was too much trouble for her and I was verbally abused again and ordered to leave. She did me a huge favour - I went to a dorm room at Rarotonga Backpackers and what a difference - I was welcomed by a friendly host who was happy to give advice/book tours; a vibrant atmosphere and fun people to hang out with (always someone around); a great location right on the beach; a cooler dorm room with no mosquitoes; way less noise from roosters and dogs here in comparison (no they’re not so noisy all over the island!); free filtered water (Tiare’s is not safe to drink) and local calls available free of charge. So stay here at your own risk, because judging by some other reviews, if Adrienne (or in my case Maria) decides for any reason they dislike you, you’re in for a very unpleasant time. I now look forward to the usual defensive reply at any negative reviews…

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank purplesmurf1
Tiarevillage, Manager at Airport Motel - Tiare Village, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Kia Orana Andrea
Tiare Village pride ourselves in the ability to provide a clean, hospitable, informative and relaxing environment. As a Backpacker Accommodator for almost 12 years for Tiare Village I have had the privilege to meet and enjoy the company of literally hundreds of “incredible people from all over the world”. Many originally booked for 2 days and ended up staying for a month.. The weddings held here because this is where the couple met. Or those guests returning after 10 years with their partners, or the guests returning because their parents advised this is where they stayed 20 years ago.. Or the regular yearly returnee guests.. Or the English headmaster turned Author and wrote a book on his travels naming “Tiare Village” and his return stays here with us over the years, or the artist that painted his view of the village.. and so many many others.. BUT alas, there are the very very few (I am pleased to say) that one just cannot seem to do enough for and it ends in a review such as this.
I have chosen not to reply to your accusations as this is of your opinion. However, your opinion is not the same of the other guests staying at Tiare Village at the time you were here.
Manager

Reviewed 14 November 2013

If you are looking to have your hand held and 24/7 support, go and pay resort prices!

I had a fantastic stay with Maria. I stayed in a double dorm which was basic, clean and comfortable and offered unbelievable value for money. I was out and about every day walking, hiking, swimming, snorkelling and sunbathing and Tiare was a great base set back from the hullabaloo in a peaceful garden plot to return to.

I felt Tiare offered me the perfect blend of low cost, good cooking, washing, bathroom, sleeping facilities and will definitely look to return on my next visit
Thanks Maria & Bob the Tour Guide :-p

Room Tip: If you have a little extra money go stay poolside :-)