“Stunning location and food”

Tamarind House Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Avarua
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The exclusive, romantic and private restaurant venue on the island with delicious and world-renowned Pacific cuisine. Away from the crowds and the public eye, a fine dining evening with your loved ones or a wedding at Tamarind House is an extra special experience. Whether your requirements are large or small, we are eager to accommodate you with an event that you will long remember. Tamarind House is a versatile venue offering five different areas to suit any occasion. Tamarind House Restaurant on the island of Rarotonga in the Cook Islands is situated on a large oceanfront property, with it's stately beautifully restored historic colonial house, huge verandas and french doors, and a lovely garden shaded by coconut palms and green lawns sweeping down to the ocean. It is just a 3 minute drive from the town centre, and the round the island bus stops just by the entrance. You can enjoy a feeling of nostalgia for a bygone era in the peaceful seclusion of our truly unique tropical setting..
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The location and atmosphere were amazing - we had booked for dinner for 4 of us and the service and attention to detail was fantastic. Many cocktails later our food arrived - vegetable lasagna, oxtail and the seafood platter (serves 2). Beautifully cooked and tasted wonderful - no complaints at all. I would highly recommend and we plan to go again although for lunch next time so we can appreciate the views.

1  Thank KiwiSmiles
Write a ReviewReviews (1,250)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is the second time here & it is a lovely place to visit. We went during the day to take advantage of the view. The daily special was good value & delicious. I recommend you book!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My Husband and I were recently married at Tamarind House and have for the most part wonderful things to say about our experience. Julie was the lady I delt with from beginning to end and she was just lovely and seemed to make me feel at ease with everything. The location on the decking over looking the beach for our ceremony was beautiful, although I did not use a wedding planner everything went perfect except for the the DJ deciding to not turn up until 7pm, had I known this had happened before I arrived to walk down the isle at 5pm I would have probably had a melt down, my poor husband had to ask one of our guests to operate the DJ's table to play my song to walk down the isle and by the time I realised the song was playing it was half way through, my poor guest could not find the volume, im sure if the DJ had turned up when he said he would my guest would not have had to be resposible for this wee issue. The grounds of the restaurant are well looked after and the old colonial building was just perfect, if we had to do it all again we would definatley choose Tamarind House. The tables were set beautifully and the flowers were just stunning, as I sat down at the bridal table I looked around and thought everything was just perfect and better than I expected it to be. I had organised an external party (Raroxpo) to have fairy lights and lanterns hung up in the restaurant and they looked just stunning.
About the only issue I had was the cupcakes (nothing to do with Tamarind House) made by Janet Dearlove, I hate to name the baker but I had paid a truck load for the cupcake tower and what an absolute eye sore they turned out to be. Although they tasted really good, I was shocked to see the presentation of them, the icing looked like it had been spread on each one with a butter knife by a five year old instead of piped on nicely, the flowers on the 20cm cake on the top were equally terrible, I actually took them off prior to cutting in front of all our guests so they would not be in the photos. I think a cupcake tower was simply just a bad decision on my part, I should have stuck to a 2 or 3 tier cake. The food at Tamarind House was OMG delicious, everyone loved there meals and trust me if you do not have the Ika Mata on your menu you are commiting a crime, I tried to find the chef once the dancing was all underway to tell him how much we loved the food but he had gone. Every single starter, main and desert was presented beautifully and tasted amazing, so if the Chef is reading this THANK YOU SOOOO much! the food is so important at a wedding and boy did you and your team in the kitchen blow us away :) well done. Over all I highly reccomend Tamarind House for your ceremony and reception or even just to hold your reception if your opting to get married on the beach somewhere else.

1  Thank Timeless50
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Tamarind has a reputation as one of the best restaurants in Rarotonga. Whilst it is good, it isn't exquisite and there are better.

The atmosphere and location are unrivalled. One of the original homesteads, you sit in the large verandah looking out over the lagoon. The service is attentive, the drink menu fine.

Fish chowder - nice but not 'full'. Iku mata was good. Fish curry lovely.

The seafood platter? I wouldn't recommend it unless you are ok with small dishes of frozen crumbed fis bites / mussels / crab claws etc, along with your fresh dishes - raw Iku mata / sashimi /fish curry.

The best fish to have in Rarotonga? Wahoo, mahimahi (pronounced maimai) tuna, squid or parrot fish. These are caught by the local charter guys. Everything else is frozen or imported...

Reviewed 31 July 2014

A great place to go for any meal but this trip we went for brunch and once again not disappointed .Lovely location lovely meal. A must to visit if in the Cooks!