“Good tour”

Namuamua Inland Tour
Ranked #89 of 158 Tours in Fiji
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

I recently went on the namuamua inland tour with 7 friends. Our tour guide on the bus to navua was fabulous! He was so funny and full of some great information. Once we got to navua and boarded the long boat we no longer received any further information from our tour guide.
The boat ride was great and the views were pretty amazing. We went and swam in a waterfall, which was pretty beautiful. Once at namuamua we were treated to a kava ceremony, dancing with the locals, a visit to the school, lunch and markets. I was a little disappointed with the village tour as it was only a quick look through the windows of the classrooms. The markets were no different to what we could buy in our resort.
On the way back to navua our long boat had to stop and we had to get out so we could empty the water from the boat, we kind of funny actually. Added to the experience.
Overall it was a long day but was worth the money to experience some Fijian culture.

1  Thank Ez0183

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Went on the Namuamua day trip in February. The long boat ride to the village was great, and stopped at a beautiful waterfall for a swim.

Had a very good welcoming upon arrival to the village. However I felt that our guide for that day lacked enthusiasm, it almost felt like she didn't want us to be there. We kicked off with a welcoming ceremony which was great and was treated with some great dancing and entertainment.
After the ceremony we had a tour of the village. This was what I felt was very poor. We walked about 100m on a footpath which took us to the school. When we got to the school we were shown one of the classrooms. And that concluded the tour of the village! The guide didn't even give us any cultural information/facts about the village. It felt like we were being rushed through.
After this we walked back and had lunch. After lunch we were surrounded by crafts and souvenirs, which were nothing original. I was hoping to purchase and find something that was made local within the village, however everything we were shown was the same generic stuff I could buy at our hotel resort souvenir shop.

Also, during the whole time we were there I had reason to believe that the locals there, including the guide, were making fun of us and talking behind our backs.

A very poor experience overall. And we didn't even get the bamboo raft ride.

2  Thank JMBris
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Pick up from Denarau hotels for this tour was at 7am and we returned about 7.30pm. However we were kept entertained by the tour guide who laughed and sang and joked all day and regaled us with interesting facts and was always ready to answer a question. After a couple of hours we stopped in to pick up further guests from Coral coast resorts and this was the opportunity for a welcome bathroom break. An hour later, we changed into our swimwear for the 2 hour journey by long boat up the Navua River, broken by a wonderful break in a cooling waterfall pool. All ages jumped in and played! After about another hour, on arrival at the village destination, I would recommend ladies have a sarong to cover exposed legs. I was wearing "boardies" over my swimwear, but felt a little exposed around the very modest village inhabitants. We had previously visited a village where we were provided with sarongs but not here. The kava ceremony and dance was great, lunch filling and the school tour enlightening. We felt an obligation to buy the wares they produced after lunch, fully aware that they were not made in the village as we had seen the same trinkets everywhere else. The people were friendly and welcoming. You really appreciated the remoteness of the village after taking so long to get there. The big downside was that we lost 2 iphones and an ipod that were in "waterproof" garbage bags provided by the company-which were obviously not really waterproof-the phones and ipod were totally saturated, and as a result kaput and unable to be resuscitated . My suggestion is a "zip-lock" plastic bag you bring yourself-or leave such valuables at the hotel. Ideally take a waterproof "tough" camera. Luckily my SLR camera only got a bit damp- in the future I will invest in a proper waterproof protective bag. Not for those who get stiff sitting in one spot for a long time, the long boats were not comfortable and the transfers on and off the boats a bit wobbly. Also the bathroom facilities were limited so don't go if you can't hold on!! There were good toilet facilities in the village. This was a bit of an adventure of a sort, with a low level of danger involved.

5  Thank Beetrootears
Reviewed 25 June 2012

It was a great day, although if you're staying in Nadi expect a drive. Our guide Suka (affectionately known as Suga) was a riot. He kept us entertained for the drive and was full of facts about Fiji's history. The people of Namuamua village were open and friendly and the waterfall and bambo raft ride were great fun. Would highly recommend it to others.

5  Thank D33Canberra
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This tour to me was certainly the promised and advertised "Real Fiji Experience". First after a tour bus ride to the Navua River, my friend and I took a long boat ride up the Navua River. We actually felt like we were travelling the river in some Aconda jungle. Apparently this is where fortage was shot for the movie Anaconda. Certainly looked like the scene.! After a very refreshing dip in a truely beautiful waterfall pool which may I say was freezing we then continued up river to arrive at the very remote village of Namuamua. These people greated us with a truely authentic Fijian cultural experience. We loved it!! Next we had a tradition Lovo Lunch and a tour through the village. We visited the school and met the locals. We were entertained by traditionb warriors dancing and a Kava Welcome ceremony. The whole day was fantastic but very long as the long boat ride to the village is about 2 hours in full sun so you would certainly need your hat and sunscreen. Not sure if I would take children on this tour as it would be far too long for little ones to sit. On the way back we travelled part of the way on a traditional form of river transportation being a bamboo raft. Very scary going over minor rapids but lots of fun. Long day but certainly an adventure and a wonderful traditional real Fiji experience not a tourist attraction type of thing.

5  Thank Subaru15