“Remotely incomparable”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Vanua Levu
Hobart, Tasmania
“Remotely incomparable”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

From the moment we were met at Savusavu airport to our musical farewell at the resort jetty five days (too short) later, this was an experience to treasure. The villas are comfortable, aesthetically pleasing, with wonderful open air bathroom. The meals are as good as anywhere, the restaurant/recreation area is a terrific base for lazing around and/or meeting other guests, and the staff are exceptional. There is so much happy kindness in this place. Nothing too much trouble, anything we wanted to do was accommodated, we felt completely free to do as much or as little as we wanted to, whenever we felt like it. This is not a 'luxury' resort as portrayed in travel magazines, the luxury refers to the beauty of the pristine landscape, the perfect setting and design of the villas, and the inspiring kindness of the staff.
We snorkelled, kayaked, swam with manta rays, visited the Micronesian village on nearby Kiola, and even walked up Mt Apisai in the midday sun. We had pretty much done everything a visitor can do but felt no wish to move on - only our Western obsession with itineraries stopped us from staying on. We may never be back - the world is wide with lots of paths to walk - but if not we will be the losers. This is the happiest place I have ever stayed at, the new benchmark.
To Dan and Natasha, Poni, Nani, Merione, Joseph, Nio, and all the staff, a heartfelt vinaka for the best holiday imaginable.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

3 Thank andyb_Hobart

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My (now) husband and I went to The Remote Resort to get married and spend our honeymoon and it was AMAZING! Every detail was perfect and taken care of by the staff.

When we arrived at the Taveuni airport I had been told beforehand that Nani (the assistant manager) would meet us there and sure enough she and a cab driver were there to meet us and take us to the district office to fill out the paperwork for our wedding. Nani was so friendly and made sure we were comfortable. After that when we were waiting for the boat she took us to the international date line which was very cool. Then we took the boat to the resort. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted by so many friendly faces and a lovely welcome song. The first thing Natasha did was take my wedding dress from me, which I was very happy about because I was very worried about how I was going to maneuver my way out of the boat while still holding my dress above my head. We were so jet lagged and tired from the 11 hour flight from LA followed by the 1 1/2 hour flight from Nadi to Taveuni not to mention STARVING! We had a welcome kava ceremony which was very nice and by the end of it lunch was ready (thank goodness because we were starving!) and then went off for a nap.

The food there was amazing, and the chefs (Ben and Javi) could make changes to the menu if there was something you didn't like or something you wanted to add. Within reason of course. My husband likes fish but only a little bit, but he LOVED the fish that we had there it was so fresh and cooked to perfection. Even when we went to Koro Levu we were packed an amazing picnic lunch with dessert included.

Our wedding was amazing!! Every detail was exactly set to our specifications down to the flowers that were in our arch. They were so beautiful! Oni did an amazing job at making my bouquet and even asked if I liked the way they looked before she wrapped them. And when we got back from our wedding she had decorated our villa with flowers and coconut tree leaves and it was just beautiful! Jo is an amazing singer and we asked him to sing at our wedding and he did, he sang a song from my favorite movie and it was just perfect. Words cannot even describe how grateful we are to everyone who had a part in our wedding.

A few days after our wedding we went swimming with the manta rays which was awesome! We highly recommend it. Also, hand line finishing seems strange at first because you reel the line in by hand but it was really fun and Neo is really good at fishing and will help you out. Also, we went trolling off the back of the boat with Neo and my husband caught a HUGE fish! Unfortunately at the last second before he was going to pull it into the boat it escaped, but it was still exciting watching him pull in the line. Also, be sure to ask Neo about snorkel fishing (something I thought up that actually worked! I caught a fish doing it) and he'll help you do that too.

The rest of the trip was amazing and we got to know all of the people that work there and they are what made our experience so memorable. We didn't feel like guests at a resort, we felt like family. Whatever we wanted to do on any given day they would try to make it happen. Everyone was so friendly and we miss everyone there. I could go on and on, but this review is already very long and I'm not sure how many people will actually make it to the end if I keep going... :)

PS. the stars there are INCREDIBLE! Be sure to look up during your walk back to your villa, it will take your breath away.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Grace F
TheRemoteResort, Manager at The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted that your wedding was everything you hoped for...it was simply our pleasure to have you with us and we wish you a life full of happiness together.
Westwood, California, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

There are simply no words to describe the absolutely amazing time we had during our week at the Remote Resort. From the moment of our arrival to our teary goodbye, it was simply brilliant. We were cared for and catered to (as were our 11 and 14 year old daughters) in a way that is just not possible at a larger resort. It is an absolutely personalized experience on what feels like your own private island, with staff who become more like friends or family - from Natasha and Dan, to the ridiculous singing talents of Jo (ask our daughters!), Apisai sharing his village, Poni who catered to our every need, Karen, Nani, Mario. We miss you all - as we do the stunning scenery and exquisite beauty that is the Rainbow Reef. We cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: BOOK NOW! and stay longer as you won't want to leave. Visit Hidden Beach, waterfalls, and visit...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Arturo F
TheRemoteResort, Manager at The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
It was simply a pleasure to have your family stay with us and we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay!
Redlands, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Remote was amazing! My 17 year old son and I LOVED staying here and I would recommend it to anyone. It is an exquisite experience, very restful, beautiful, great food,
great staff, and Natasha and Dan are exceptional. It really is a "WOW" experience. I read about
the bugs from one review, and that is Fiji - its an island and naturally there are some bugs, but we
just used a little natural Fiji insect repellant and they were not a problem. The stunning beauty
of the resort and island is captivating. The experience is world class. I have been to
about 40 countries and stayed many times at the Ritz, Hyatt, and lots of nice hotels. This is the best experience
I have ever had on a short 2 day vacation. You will be forever glad you stayed here!

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool or fitness center, but there is so much to do, you will love it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Rod C
sydney
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I think it is fare to say that the unique situation of this resort makes it both challenging and special. I don't want to repeat what has already been said so I take a slightly different slant. Dan and Natasha the owners and managers have created this place from their own imaginations,skills, insight and hard, hard graft. They have literally given up all safety nets to realise a dream for them and their family and now we get to take part in this dream.
I think my stay was enhanced by their courage, fortitude and refreshing can do attitude.
So many of us say we will do something unique and magical, but never do. these guys risked everything including their sanity (I imagine) to make this exist. I can do nothing but take my hat off and be humbled by their lead!!!
Dan perhaps should go for politics next!!!
Next I have to then say that this tiny piece of the South Pacific has still retained communal living. Villages and Islands which exist with no salaries or greed. Everyone shares the burden and the bounty.
The landscapes are stunning yes, but the people who remain so beautifully untouched by our inherent lust for more, are remarkable, warm and genuinely innocent.
I would really try and remove any thoughts of a vacation experience you may have had if you choose the remote resort. Yes people go here for honeymoons and weddings, but I don't see that eventually being the bread and butter for the place. You can do that anywhere!!
Choose here if you need your mind opening, your values testing, your mind de-cluttering and perhaps your focus calibrating away from yourself and back to where we all come from.
Another tip. If you like smothering over the top service, this is not for you. It is a grown up lace where the staff don't treat you like porcelain. I liked this and the earnestness that came with it.

In summary greatest bits.
1, the achievement
2, the people
3, the food and wine list.
4, the coconuts
5, freedom
6, air so clean you feel like you have new lungs.
7, the unbelievably reasonable price of extras and excursions.

Do not miss.
Swimming with Manta Rays
Fresh Seafood ( from the reef)
Star gazing
The virgin waterfall
Chatting to the team who all hail from Fiji. They are Sage and wise beyond our narrow Western minds.
The flora and Fauna right outside your door.

Could improve.
1, Because the rooms back on to forest and the bathroom is outdoor. Mosquitos and other insects are pretty much a 24 hour pest. There are coils to discourage them, but I struggled to combat their numbers. The presence of mosquitos, made it quite hard to use the deck off the room. I sprayed and sprayed my self, but still found that I was constantly trying to rid myself of the beasts. Also makes it interesting trying to shower quickly enough that you don't get bitten. I don't know what the solution to this is? But it did kind of spoil the whole outdoor bathing experience.

2, Change sheets more often. We didn't get a change in 8 nights.

3, A fridge in the room would be a god send.

4, A bit more of an induction at the beginning of the stay especially if you only have a few days.

Room Tip: All of them are equal. Perhaps room 4 would give a little more solace from the mosquitos???
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bradleylee5
TheRemoteResort, Manager at The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind review. It was our pleasure to have you both stay with us and I am very happy to hear you took so much away from the experience. I was very sorry to hear though that you felt your linens we're not changed during your stay. It is our standard to change them every third day (after every two nights sleep). We would have also changed them on-demand with no trouble at all. I will review our housekeeping log book to identify in gaps in service during your stay and re-train our housekeeping team as necessary.

I was also disappointed to hear the mosquitos hindered your outdoor experience. As with most tropical places we can have mosquitos from time to time. Mosquitos also tend to be attracted to some of us, but not others, so when we hear that a guest is being bothered by mosquitos we add an additional 2-3 mosquito coils to each outdoor area (shower and deck) and housekeeping then refreshes these coils three times a day, instead of just lighting 1-2 coils during nightly turn-down. I apologize we weren't aware that this may have enhanced your experience and we will add this option to our orientation going forward so that guests know there are additional steps we can take for them should they need it.

Thanks also for the suggestions on fridges in the oceanfront villas (the two-bedroom villa has a full-size refrigerator) and for a deeper orientation for guests - we will work on both of these and sincerely appreciate your feedback.

We'd love to welcome you both back to The Remote Resort one day and in the meantime wish you much love and happiness....
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I went to the Remote Resort for his birthday and it was a special experience. The beauty of the island and the reefs, the walks and the daily snorkeling were all amazing. The resort is truly remote and provides a very relaxing setting while enjoying the greatest of comfort, drinks, and food. The meals were mostly made from local produce with wonderful fresh fish and fruits, all very skilfully prepared and accompanied with a good wine list. And the snorkeling is first rate for all levels of swimmers.

The best aspect of the resort is the very special people who provide such openness and welcome: Dan and Natasha and their staff (Nani, Api, and everyone else) were so friendly and accommodating. From the welcome ceremony to the final walk through the surf to the boat, we felt their main goal was to ensure that we see and feel the beauty of their land. They allow you to get a taste of the real Fiji in the greatest of comfort. By the end of our week, we felt we were leaving friends and we carry very fond memories of our stay with them.

If you want to visit a beautiful spot, be pampered, and have a glimpse into Fijian life, this is the place for you. It is not the usual resort and you may be surprised by the outdoor shower (with a beautiful forest setting), the walk through the surf on arrival, and the barefooted clamber over the rocks to the waterfall. For us, this was part of the charm and we came away with amazing memories and a very warm place in our hearts for the people we met. We hope to go back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Denise D
San Anselmo, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was the most perfect piece of paradise we have ever experienced. Dan and Natasha and the whole staff at Remote have created the perfect Fiji experience that feels authentic and unspoiled while feeling super-lux and au courant. With the outdoor bathroom you almost feel like you are camping, combined with Vogue interior design creates such a unique texture that heightens the experience. Attention to details, spectacular food, with the most stunning diving and snorkeling we've ever done. Perfection. Kudos.

Room Tip: All the bures are spectacular, with gorgeous views and outdoor bathrooms.
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michele A
TheRemoteResort, Manager at The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you so much both so much for choosing The Remote Resort as part of your exploration of Northern Fiji...it certainly was an adventurous week while you were here! We are absolutely thrilled you enjoyed your stay and will share your review with the whole team here...thanks again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vanua Levu
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu
Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

Been to The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands? Share your experiences!