“You get what you pay for in a dorm room.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wailoaloa Beach Resort Fiji

Wailoaloa Beach Resort Fiji
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“You get what you pay for in a dorm room.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Straight up I want to say that though my rating is poor, I still think this place was value for money because it was very cheap. I got what I paid for, cheap and well, a but average.

The good bit was the staff who were friendly, cheerful and kind. The bad bit was the dorm room. It was reasonably clean, but on the first night there was a huge cockroach which I had to kill. The uper class rooms were nice, as I had to relocate into one when I could not get to sleep because there were masses of school children in the dorm next to me who were making a racket. Rather than yell at the kids I asked for a quieter room. That was rather nice, but not really worth what they were asking for it in my opinion. Then again, I am self admittedly a cheap skate on a budget.

The meals were good, I ordered fish and chips which was not on the menu, but still very nice. Breackfast was good, waffles, toast, fruit salad, French toast and some local dish which includes fried pinapple, cheese and fried tomato. I have no complaints at all about the food.

As I said, the staff were polite and friendly. However I found it a bit frustrating that on ech of the three nights I stayed, I was not handed either a blanket or a towel and had to go back and ask for them as they were not in the room either. On the last day I shared with two students who were told their towels would be brought to the room, but they never were. That is a minor issue though.

The actual room, well it was very dodgy. The walls were thin with no insulation between so you heard all your co-tennants talking up late, or school children jumping off beds. I knew it was right next to the airport, but there were only 5-6 jets a day, and just 2 at night, so that was actually quieter than living several Ks away from the airport back in Australia. The showers though, very dirty, huge cracks between the wall and stall, luke warm water even during the say (water is solar) and the bathroom itself was small. The linnen was a little grey. I agree with other reviewers that the bed was thin. So I just borrowed an extra matress and doubled up. I slept much better after doing that.

The souvineer shop had some bargins in it though, check out the prices there before going into Nadi to shop.

So, staff, food, location and value for money were good for a dform room. The cleanliness was bad in the dorm room, but it was on par with what i had paid for. I think if the dorm rooms were cleaned up, and linnen delivered / handed out more proactivly I would have rated this higher.

Room Tip: The dorm rooms are not very clean. 101 was the best I stayed in. 102 and 106 had pretty lousy shower...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Whitianga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We wanted somewhere close to the airport in Nadi while we found our way around and this was quite satisfactory. The staff were friendly and helpful. With breakfast included this was value for money with a clean room, pleasant pool and friendly bar area. Airport transfers are included and although we got no response to our email requesting pickup, they were there at the airport with smiling faces to greet us. The beach is only a 10 minute walk away and was very pleasant and uncrowded. The resort was not very busy when we were there which meant we had the pool to ourselves most of the time. Nadi city is about a F$7 cab ride away or a 70cent bus ride if you walk back out to the main road, about 15mins. Whilst the airport is adjacent to the resort noise is not a major issue as Nadi is not the busiest airport in the world and there are few planes at night.

Room Tip: Airconditioned rooms are more expensive but we found the fan quite satisfactory.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

I paid NZD10 per night when I transited overnight through Fiji, airport transfers and breakfast included. It has a pool and a gym. It's really pretty outstanding for the price. But... I was in backpacker accommodation, and the bed was very uncomfortable, the fan noisy and ineffective and the bathroom not very clean. Also regardless of what kind of room you pay for the planes are very loud overhead and start around 5am. If you're not too fussy and just want a place to put your head down and maybe have a swim it's great. The food for dinner was OK but with a limited selection, and the same for the drinks menu. I left too early for breakfast but other travelers recommended it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Caitlyn O
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I didn't book this resort but had seen it when going to my booked hotel at the beginning of my trip. It looked nice so I checked it out as a place to stay on my return to Nadi. It was nice for what it is. Don't expect a fancy resort but it does have a nice swimming pool, dining area and bar area. It also has free wireless available in the lounge. I had a basic room with its own basic ensuite and ceiling fan. It even had tv. The breakfast is included and changes day by day but it was great. For the price it would be hard to beat so handy to Nadi Airport. In fact the landing strip is just behind the resort and makes for loud interesting viewing at times. I didn't mind it. I thought everyone was very nice; however it appear many of the younger staff were not trained and I had to prompt them several times to get the things I needed. One thing it's NOT; a BEACH resort. The beach is about a kilometre away and not that thrilling. However this is a great place to stay when on your way to other places.

Room Tip: I had a very basic room as a single traveller. There are higher quality rooms which would suit coup...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

This "resort" is anything but. The staff are unfriendly and when asked a request, they make it obvious it is an effort for them. They gave us our room key but forgot to give us the remotes for the air conditioner and tv. They forgot to pick us up from the airport in their complimentary shuttle. When they took us back to the airport, they were late in dropping us there, and then asked for a tip!!!!!! Tipping is not even customary in Fiji and a tip was not even warranted! The complimentary "breakfast" was disgusting. They had pancakes, cold toast or stale cinnamon bread with only butter offered as a condiment. The porridge was just water and they offered scrambled eggs which was full of egg shell. The rooms were basic. We travelled for 7 weeks before coming here and it is by far the worst place we have ever stayed. I would recommend everyone to not stay here. Pay a little bit more to stay somewhere else if you're looking for budget accommodation. It is marked as budget, but it's taking the word 'budget' a bit too far!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Nadi hotels

Brisbane. Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

This Hotel is very cheap. We paid for the standard room and it is just that. The food was very good though and the location near the airport very convenient but also very noisy with the run way being right behind the hotel.

Room Tip: The continental breakfast included in the price is pretty bad with only bread, runny tasteless oats...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Salem, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

They do have a very good breakfast, however, i could not give an excellent rating because they steal things in your room if it is not locked up. They say it is not the fiji way but i submit to you it is the fiji way. Stealing that is.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo