“budget senior overnighter” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Geelong, Australia
“budget senior overnighter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Fiji airways offered us an inducement of an overnight accommodation at the Mecure or Novatel including meals and transfers if we solved their overbooking problem by switching to an earlier Virgin flight. We accepted and on arriving at Nadi were informed that the bookings to either of the agreed hotels had not been made and they were now both booked out. After several frustrating hours at the aiport we were finally delivered to Wailoaloa Beach resort. Tired and disillusioned we were disappointed to be offloaded at a 2 star resort on the edge of the runway and nowhere near the beach. Reception was efficent but hardly welcoming. The delux room contained a minimum of basic well used dated furniture including a rust spotted fridge.
Sheets were clean and the bed comfortable. It's sad but the only relief of the day was when we turned the fan on and some poor unfortunate gecko who had chosen to sleep on the fan blade was flung off narrowly missing my wife. Landing on the single bed he/she quickly disappeared apparently unhurt from its unintended flight through space.
The menu at dinner had seen better days ,the plastic crumpled cover perhaps sent a warning
about the food so we chose carefully and were pleasantly suprised by the quality, price and quantity. The free breakfast was limited in range but offered at a high standard.
As we arrived in the dark we were pleasantly surprised the next morning at the pool and gardens and the overall appearance of the grounds and communal facilities. Free internet was a bonus .
If you want to save money and only needing a bed and feed for the night it is quite adequate,
but not the 3 star plus as we were promised.
We only drank bottled water, cleaned our teeth with the same and had no problems with upset stomachs during our month in fiji.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Although this place looks like a resort it has a few four bed dorm rooms in the back of the property which are amazing value. You don't often get a small dorm room with bathroom, use of the pool and resort facilities and breakfast included all for about 7 english pounds! Not sure what the plac would be like for a holiday but as a backpacker base for seeing the islands of fiji I couldn't have asked for more!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
New Plymouth, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed for one night before traveling down to Pacific Harbour. It was cheap and they were able to accommodate our family of five in one room. The rooms are very basic and could do with a total overhaul, the showers need a good clean, but hey for the money you pay what do you expect. The pool and grounds looked nice. The free wifi was a great bonus and the staff friendly. Overall an easy place to get to for an overnight stay and well priced if you are traveling in a group.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

So we decided to stay here for our last week in Fiji. We wanted a nice resort with a pool, basic room and breakfast. We choose this resort because it also offered free wifi so it was a deal maker. When we arrived, they were friendly and polite. But it was a problem to pay by card, which is understandable... these things happen. So we tried to pay by cash and they wanted the exact money which we luckily had but we wondered why they didn't have change. Oh well... the resort is very pretty and has a nice pool. The bar area and restaurant is relaxing and the waitress who was always around help us very well.
I don't want to completely complain about here because it did serve its basic purpose so I'm sorry if I point out silly things...
But, over the week we had a few problems. We tried to pay for our tab and they didn't have change again. We tried to pay everyday for 3 days afterwards but still no change? I also tried to pay by cash at the bar and the barman did not like that idea and firmly told me to pay at reception.
They finally got change so we went to pay. I then got asked whether I brought things I definatly didn't buy and was made to feel like I was in the wrong when it was because the receptionist had the tabs mixed up. They write them down on notes and its proved a bit of a messy system. This happened two more times through my stay so I got a little annoyed at being asked to pay for things I didn't buy. There is a receptionist who we all feel was very rude and abrupt with us and didn't seem to want to help us. Occasionally they would need 3 people to work out if you was lying about the bill and that was quite uncomfortable.
So, the breakfast is free and satisfactory - no problems and the waiter is really helpful. He turned out to be one of the only staff members who weren't rude or unhelpful.
We did order our lunch one day at 12.30 and we actually got the food at 1.45. We were the only ones in the restaurant the whole time. And my friend only got half of her meal and had to wait another 30mins until she got the rest. It was quite funny really but not exactly good service.
Okay... the WiFi. What a hassle it turned out to be. It was off more than on, and the staff would tell us it would be fixed in, say 2 hours, and it wasn't fixed until 3 days later and its still temperamental. A friend went to ask about it one night as we were told it should be working and was met by an angry staff member who told her it wasn't his problem and that it's a free service so she shouldn't complain. A bit rude really?
I will also add we only got offered room service once in the week we stayed here and constantly had to ask for things at reception for the room. Not really good for 3 people sharing a room.
Anyway, we ended up spending most of our time at the resort's down by the beach (wailoulou beach) who entertained and treated us to what Fiji has to offer.
I would say this a resort for families and children, not for backpackers and don't be surprised if it isn't all it makes out on the websites. I really hope this is useful and not just a rant.

Room Tip: Get a double, private. But the airport is right next to your head so you can't get much sleep un...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Fiji
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Firstly I'll write about the good things about this resort. The rooms were clean (although we werent given top sheets or towels) and the rooms were good value for money. The free breakfast was good and they served it between 6.30 and 9.30 which was good. the bad points would be that its not exactly a beach resort.. its a good 10 minute walk to the beach and it was a disappointing beach. the airport is literally the back garden, so the planes are loud, but after a little while you get used to them and there arent many flights so that wasnt a huge problem for me. The resort offered no free activities or made an effort to promote activities or have special offers which nearly all other resorts had. The food menus were good and the food was good but form ordering to actually getting food took anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour! they took the piss with the whole 'fiji time' The staff werent friendly or particularly helpful, other then maybe 2 or 3. most of them would ignore you and talk amongst themselves when you were at reception. The bar was good, with decent prices for alcohol, but very little nightlife, pretty much none at all, an d the music was always the same and a few songs on repeat. I would recommend this resort more for couples or families not for backpackers or travellers.

Room Tip: the dorms are good, but would go for a room instead to get the kitchen and fridge. Although they off...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Nadi hotels

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Straight up I want to say that though my rating is poor, I still think this place was value for money because it was very cheap. I got what I paid for, cheap and well, a but average.

The good bit was the staff who were friendly, cheerful and kind. The bad bit was the dorm room. It was reasonably clean, but on the first night there was a huge cockroach which I had to kill. The uper class rooms were nice, as I had to relocate into one when I could not get to sleep because there were masses of school children in the dorm next to me who were making a racket. Rather than yell at the kids I asked for a quieter room. That was rather nice, but not really worth what they were asking for it in my opinion. Then again, I am self admittedly a cheap skate on a budget.

The meals were good, I ordered fish and chips which was not on the menu, but still very nice. Breackfast was good, waffles, toast, fruit salad, French toast and some local dish which includes fried pinapple, cheese and fried tomato. I have no complaints at all about the food.

As I said, the staff were polite and friendly. However I found it a bit frustrating that on ech of the three nights I stayed, I was not handed either a blanket or a towel and had to go back and ask for them as they were not in the room either. On the last day I shared with two students who were told their towels would be brought to the room, but they never were. That is a minor issue though.

The actual room, well it was very dodgy. The walls were thin with no insulation between so you heard all your co-tennants talking up late, or school children jumping off beds. I knew it was right next to the airport, but there were only 5-6 jets a day, and just 2 at night, so that was actually quieter than living several Ks away from the airport back in Australia. The showers though, very dirty, huge cracks between the wall and stall, luke warm water even during the say (water is solar) and the bathroom itself was small. The linnen was a little grey. I agree with other reviewers that the bed was thin. So I just borrowed an extra matress and doubled up. I slept much better after doing that.

The souvineer shop had some bargins in it though, check out the prices there before going into Nadi to shop.

So, staff, food, location and value for money were good for a dform room. The cleanliness was bad in the dorm room, but it was on par with what i had paid for. I think if the dorm rooms were cleaned up, and linnen delivered / handed out more proactivly I would have rated this higher.

Room Tip: The dorm rooms are not very clean. 101 was the best I stayed in. 102 and 106 had pretty lousy shower...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Whitianga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We wanted somewhere close to the airport in Nadi while we found our way around and this was quite satisfactory. The staff were friendly and helpful. With breakfast included this was value for money with a clean room, pleasant pool and friendly bar area. Airport transfers are included and although we got no response to our email requesting pickup, they were there at the airport with smiling faces to greet us. The beach is only a 10 minute walk away and was very pleasant and uncrowded. The resort was not very busy when we were there which meant we had the pool to ourselves most of the time. Nadi city is about a F$7 cab ride away or a 70cent bus ride if you walk back out to the main road, about 15mins. Whilst the airport is adjacent to the resort noise is not a major issue as Nadi is not the busiest airport in the world and there are few planes at night.

Room Tip: Airconditioned rooms are more expensive but we found the fan quite satisfactory.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple