“Perfect Short Stay”
Review of Fiji Gateway Hotel

Fiji Gateway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights in transit from New Zealand to the United States and it was a perfect stay. Rooms are very comfortable and have refreshments as you would expect. We stayed in room 104 which overlooked the pool. This made it really easy to go from our room to have a swim and relax on the sunloungers. There is also a small gym adjacent to the pool. We ate our meals in the hotel and the food was very good. Staff are really friendly and welcoming. They were really helpful too when we asked to extend our stay as our flight was a night flight. We had to pay extra for this but it was good value and meant our last day there was really good. The hotel is a short walk from the airport but Raffles provides a courtesy coach so there is no need to struggle with luggage. Altogether a lovely short visit to Fiji.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joe D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,295)

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We stayed at Raffes Gateway in February 2014 after bad weather cut short our stay in the Yasawa Islands. If you are looking for a hotel to stay at while waiting for a flight or transfer this is a good choice.

After the air-conditioning didn't work in our first room we were moved to a different room on ground level. This room was lovely, air-con worked well and we had a beautiful view of the gardens and mountains.

The gardens and landscaping at this hotel are beautiful. So many different flowers and plants of all different shapes and colours. (Be warned though- there are loads of mosquitoes in the garden so pack the Aerogard!) The 2 pools are also nice and there is a water slide for the kids.

Rooms and food were slightly expensive but the rooms are spacious and clean. Staff were friendly and quite accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Natalie H
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I very rarely write negative reviews, but I feel it's necessary to write this one. I have been trying for over a week to contact somebody there to take a booking, tried email, website enquiry, phone call. Simply no response. Not getting a good impression of this place. Does not live up to the Raffles great name. Unfortunately I have to stay there when I go to Fiji soon. Hope I can get hold of someone soon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Paul L
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My daughter and I stayed here in February the day before we flew back to Sydney after a week at another resort. We had a deluxe room (Number 505) which was on the ground floor away from the pool. The room had a private terrace overlooking the mountains and a lush garden with an outdoor setting that provided a great spot to enjoy the view in peace and quiet.

We ate lunch, dinner and breakfast in the restaurant - the meals were basic but very good & reasonably priced. There is also a coffee shop/kiosk on site near the bar and the coffees were very good.

The grounds are immaculately maintained and provide a beautiful setting - more like gardens in a 5 star resort than a transit hotel!

On the night we stayed there was a large group staying at the hotel who were a bit noisy and were mainly in the pool area so we didnt spend a lot of time in the pool. The pool would be perfect if you have young/teenage children travelling with you.

The service was ok - the restaurant staff were a bit surly & very slow. The staff in the bar and coffee kiosk were much friendlier. The reception staff were very efficient & friendly.

Overall I would definitely stay at this hotel again, it is great value, excellent location and very convenient. The rooms were much better than I expected and were comfortable & very clean. The internet, which cost FJD$20 dropped out a few times and was a bit of a pain to set up but was good enough to check emails, facebook etc.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 505 which was away from the pool area - and the noise. The room was on the ground...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Julia G
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I arrived into Suva at 5:00 am and my next flight to Auckland wasn't until 2:00 pm so I had some time to kill, but not enough with much of it early morning to want to go out sightseeing.
The Raffles Gateway Hotel was the perfect spot to spend a few hours relaxing.
I walked over from the airport (All of about six minutes to get there from baggage claim)
Although beat from a filled to capacity flight and not much sleep, I decided to just hang out at Raffles instead of getting a room there.
Online you can get a coupon which will give you a shower, towel, and even shampoo if you ask.
After a quick shower which really helped I went out and laid on a chaise lounge by the pool till the restaurant opened at 6 am. It was quiet and delightful.
The breakfast was excellent although there were some strange tasting in my omelette which I didn't much enjoy. When I mentioned i didn't like it much they insisted on bringing me some other eggs. Staff was friendly and helpful.
After breakfast back to the pool to hang out for a few hours doing some work and catching some sun. Kids of all ages will enjoy the slide.
It was a wonderful six hours just relaxing and this was the right spot to do it. Put the suntan lotion on though!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a night flight back to the U.S. and secured a "day-room" from our check-in at 2 pm until 7:30 pm. Considering we had the room for only 5 hours, it was a bit pricey, but worth it to decompress after our transfer from Beqa Island. It gave us a chance to sit by the pool, shower, freshen up, have dinner at the restaurant and casually go across the street to the airport. (Well, we used the shuttle van!).
The walls of the rooms are (painted) concrete block, and so the rooms are kind of boxy. From the pool area, the row of rooms looks "motelly", (a very distant cousin of the Raffles of Singapore). We had dinner in the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. We had no complaints, other than the fact that the room rate for a day-stay was a little steep.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ExNeddiesBoy
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Or perhaps I was just unlucky. Apparently I was upgraded to an 'Executive' room, but looking at the layout of the hotel on the emergency escape information it was the same size as all the others. The reception was not friendly, but not rude. The first impression of the room was that it looked nice, but the layout was odd, and not user-friendly, and very dark. The pool and grounds were lovely. I was only there for one night so ate at the restaurant. The service was good but the food was edible, but not great. It was OK until I woke up at 2 am with a nasty stomach bug. Thank goodness I'd brought meds. When I mentioned at checkout that I was unwell after eating at the restaurant, the desk clerk didn't even acknowledge what I'd said. I said it twice just to be sure I was understood!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Monica G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
2 mi away
#3 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Tropic of Capricorn
Tropic of Capricorn
#3 of 25 in Nadi

Been to Fiji Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!