“Home away from Home”

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Melbourne
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I was shocked to come across these bad reviews for Beachside.
I stayed there for two weeks last October & I couldn’t have had a better time.
It is clearly stated on the website that it is budget accommodation, so I had my expectations adjusted accordingly. To my delight the accommodation was better than I expected. My room was spacious & the bathroom was impeccably clean.
Breakfast has three different options, so I can’t see a problem there, something for everyone. Rooms have tea & coffee making facilities & a fridge.
Prices were in line with the standard in Fiji, cheaper meals than you would pay at a "resort" but no more expensive than any of the restaurants in town. I found all prices for food & activities etc in Fiji were more in line with Australia/New Zealand than say they would be in Thailand.
I found all staff, Jane, Phillip & the local staff very friendly, they all made me feel at home & was most accommodating to anything I asked for.
Yeah there are Geckos & cane toads but that is nature & the tropics, that is what you are going to get, you'll also get it in far North Queensland, complaining about that is like going to the tropics & complaining about the mosquitoes!
Dudley, Peggy & Ruby were great company & I didn’t find them to bark any more than a regular dog, I found them to be great companions & enjoyed many a long walk along the beach & swim with all three of them.
In regards to the beach, it is not a 10 minute walk; it’s more like a two minute walk to get to. The beach does on occasion look grotty but this is due to the Fijian culture of just dumping your rubbish wherever you happen to be, it is a problem all over the islands & something the government needs to address if it wants tourists to keep visiting Fiji.
When I was looking for a place to stay in Nadi I did extensive research before deciding to book with beachside & I couldn’t find any other place that offered the quality of accommodation at the prices offered at beachside. I recommend you research properly & ensure you understand what type of room you are booking & what you are getting for your money that way you won’t be surprised when you get there & it’s not what you were after.
For me – Beachside was wonderful, friendly & exactly what I needed.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hamilton
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Kiwis may own it but no longer run it. The people who do are arrogant and inflexible. "the beaten track" is correct & needs a 4-wheel drive. There are more potholes than road! The road is dangerous - other guests have been mugged.
A studio room? I don't think so. More like a prison cell. It lacks ALL the basic necessities. It is just a room with a bed - nothing else. You are forced to upgrade @ $35 extra per night to get something half decent.
Continental breakfast - yeah right. 3 choices but only allowed one. Tea/coffee is extra! But it's free in your upgraded room. Food overall is only average and overpriced, as is the bar selection.
How it can be called Beachside Resort is beyond me. It is not beside the beach; it is not a resort; and there are no activities of any kind. The staff stick to their rules and remain inflexible to basic requests. They also change their stories about everything, including travel into Nadi and appear to work in with a local taxi company as their van is never available when required. We even had to get someone to call them from the airport to pick us up when we arrived. They claimed the transfer had not been confirmed. Clearly they have never heard of customer service!
Then there's the gheckos running through your room and the cane toads all over the grounds. The place has 3 dogs which are friendly but love to bark. Generally we were disappointed and disgusted. We were sucked in and ripped off. The travel agent should have known better and warned us. We would never have stayed there if we knew what it was going to be like. Never again.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hkdontrvl
BeachsideResortFiji, Owner at Beachside Resort, responded to this review, 4 September 2009
Thank you for your review and we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.Unfortunately we know that we will never be able to please everyone.We will take you comments onboard and address all of the issues you raised.
We agree that the road needs attention - unfortunately the road was washed away in the devastating Jan 09 Nadi Flood.The PWD restored the road as best they could and when the Govt allocates more funds and resources they will finish it to an all weather road.
When you live in Fiji - a developing country -you learn to accept that things are not perfect by any means.
All of our marketing and website information clearly states that we are not on the beach - we advise travellers that the beach is a stroll down the road.
The Nadi beaches are tidal with grey sand nothing like the lovely beaches in NZ or Australia.But you can take great Island daytrips whilst you are at Beachside Resort.
One last point if I may - did you stay at any other places in the same star rating as Beachside?
I only ask this because when your expectations are not met by the hotel you choose,it is important to compare similar properties around Fiji in your review,in order to give a balanced view.

Travellers are raving about these Nadi hotels

auckland
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I am so surprised to read the bad review, as our own experience was so different! We stayed for a few nights in February, with our little daughters, Olivia and Rosie. We were not expecting luxury, and so didn;t have unrealistic expectations. Jane and Phillip could not have been more helpful and friendly - true hosts and great ambassadors for Fiji. We will definitely be going back in the future.

Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Liverpool
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Myself and my girlfriend stayed for 4 nights in February 08. Firstly, this resort does cater for people travelling on a budget which is the reason we picked it, so we didn't expect too much. Positives are that the rooms are kept very clean and the en-suite facilities are excellent. The pool and restaurant/bar area is pleasant and the food (for the most part) was nice.
On the downside, the resort's information does mislead slightly on their location as it is in no way 'beachside'. What made matters worse was that when we attempted to walk to the beach we were stopped by a pack of wild dogs. We had asked at reception directions to get to the beach and they pointed us down the road back toward the other hotel which is nearby and told us to turn left, so we left down the track soon to be accompanied by Ruby and another dog from Beachside. As we neared a gate down by the end of the track a group of seemingly wild dogs appeared 100 yds in front of us barking quite aggressively, at which point Ruby and our other companion legged it back to Beachside. Not really what you want when you're just after a nice stroll, so we decided not to take the risk and walked back.

Later we sat down for our evening meal and before I go on I would have to say the food on the whole was very nice with a good selection on the menu, however, after ordering a salad, I received an unexpected surprise. I was half way through the meal when I noticed on of the tomatoes on my plate looked slightly discoloured so I cut into it to check if it was edible...it wasn't. The insides were rotten and looked like they had been for a while and to confirm this a couple of ants ran out once I sliced it open fully. Brilliant.

From then on I didn't really feel comfortable eating at the restaurant but didn't have much choice because we were stuck out in the middle of nowhere. The staff didn't really seem that bothered when I complained. The woman waiting on took my plate back into the kitchen and then returned it having just removed the offending tomato. Don't get me wrong, I was a backpacking student then and have no qualms with roughing it, but that is disgusting.

We didn't see the owners while we were there, we guessed they weren't present. I wouldn't recommend to a friend and was glad to get out of there in all honesty.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ill127
NZ
Reviewed 4 July 2009

My friend and I arrived in the evening expecting twin beds to find a room with a double bed, no wardrobe, no table, luggage stand, dressingtable etc. About 2 feet space around the bed between the walls, Upon requesting a room with twin beds, Jane told us that we could upgrade to a room that cost 100% more than what we had already paid. When we said that we could not as we were on a budget, Phillip marched in and arrogantly said that if we had no money we should not be on holiday. He then very angrily shouted at me "Take it or leave it!" Imagine how I felt, arriving in beautiful Fiji for a laidback holiday and being shouted angrily and insultingly at by a New Zealander proprietor. Wow!!!!! What a shame for the Fijian Tourism Industry to have such an unscrupulous pair like these two running their image down. Everything was geared to fleece the tourist of their money. Jane and Phillip buy at Fijian prices and charge at New Zealand prices!!! The place is isolated, out on a limb, miles from anywhere on a road that is more potholes than road. The beach is a 10 minute walk away and is disgusting anyway. What can I say that is positive about this place? Nothing. I strongly recomend people to try elsewhere there are so many lovely places advertised at the airport in the pamphlet stands. So many other guests approached us to complain about this pair I can only hope that they complain to their agents when they get back home. I have travelled the world but only been insulted at Beachside by Phillip.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank kkkat
BeachsideResortFiji, Owner at Beachside Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2009
Thank you for your constructive review we note your comments and will make an effort to address all of the issues you raised.
Upon arrival you expressed displeasure at the fact that our Studio rooms contained 1 x double bed and not 2 single beds as advised by your Travel agent in NZ.
We emailed your travel agent several times but received no response.I hope you raised your concerns with them on your return.
We offered to upgrade you to a room containing 2 x single beds for F$15 /room/night.Not the 100% more as stated by you.
You refused our offer and advised us that you had no money to upgrade.
The following morning you bought your own tea and coffee to our retaurant and asked for hot water.
The following morning you bought your own Soya milk and asked for glasses.
I advised you that we did not permit the consumption of food and beverage not purchased in our restaurant.
You took exception to my comments and told me that you did it all the time in your local cafe in NZ - I replied that I found this highly unusual.
We try our best to please and like you we are only trying to make a living - if every guest consumed their own food and beverage in our restaurant then it would put us out of business.
Finally it is standard practice in hotels worldwide to ask guest for their credit card upon check in or a cash deposit.
You refused to provide such details to our receptionist who was made to endure your wrath when she was only doing her job.
At least you will now feel a sense a of relief at venting your anger. Cheers from Beachside Resort
Auckland
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Adolf and The Cook arrived home last night from ten days of indolent inebriation and elegant gluttony in the delightful Republic of Fiji.

Restaurant at Beachside Resort Fiji

We stayed at our favorite 'el cheapo,' Beachside Resort which is owned and operated by Kiwis Phil and Jane. A fabulous but simple menu with extremely reasonable prices. You must go there. The best fish curry and chicken curry ever. A pleasant air conditioned room for two for around NZ$75 per night and NZ$7 gets you anywhere you want to go in a beat up local cab. Exchange rate currently is 0.75.

Beats the hell out of paying $350 per night at Denarau.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
New Zealand
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Quite a walk to the Beach and then not much of a beach. The rooms were also very basic and we had to upgrade and pay extra to get what we would call basic- (double bed and not 2 singles pushed together, a fridge and airconditioning). More positively,the staff were friendly and the grounds and pool were well kept.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
Grand West's Villas
Grand West's Villas
#13 of 25 in Nadi
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Nadi Bay Resort Hotel
Fiji Gateway Hotel
Aquarius On The Beach

Been to Beachside Resort? Share your experiences!