“Excellent Service”

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Nadi
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My 4 year old son and I flew in from Honolulu to Nadi, and spent 2 nights at the Aquarius. We stayed in the ocean view room, upstairs with a large lanai/balcony and an incredible view. I am a native Fijian, have spent 21 years abroad and I would have to say that I would be the first one to criticize bad customer service in Fiji if I see one. But,I was very satisfied and impressed with the gang at Aquarius and the level of customer service they provided for us. The complimentary breakfast was great, and the walk on the beach was awesome and safe for kids. My son, is an ocean baby-he played by himself on the beach as I sat from the restaurant and watched him. I love Paul and all the receptionist, and all the gang in the kitchen -you folks are awesome....good leadership from the manager!!! I just have to say- the shopkeeper in the the small store has to go...he is extremely rude to customers,has no manners at all, and he gives Aquarius a bad name.BTW for those who love to stand up paddle, you can walk next door and rent a sup for $10 an hour-great deal! I paddled in the bay and to Denarau-I would definitely recommend this place to friends and families !!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Egi D
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Many thanks for your lovely comments! Your compliments about our great staff and our high level of customer service goes a long way to encourage our team to continue their efforts to make our guests feel welcome and at home. Your positive comments on our food and our beachfront location also help future guests realise the great value our hotel offers. We have spoken to the shopkeeper in the hotel's gift shop about your comments on his behaviour. Please accept our apologies for any rudeness he may have shown you. We hope you make Aquarius On The Beach your home away from home again on your next trip to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I originally had a reservation at a nearby hotel but the service there was terrible and they tried to charge me 4x the rate I was originally quoted. After having a nice meal and conversation at Aquarius while trying to figure out what to do I decided to stay there instead. Not only was this hotel much nicer than the neighboring options, the staff was amazing and it only cost $5 more per night. I ended up staying there a few times during the rest of my trip on occasions where I needed to pass through Nadi and I can't say enough about how friendly and accommodating the entire staff was. Special thanks to Donna for helping me to plan (and book) my entire trip through the Yasawas and the Coral Coast. This was the best experience I have ever had with a hotel's staff.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Karl V
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thanks for your great review! Our staff are always extremely happy when a guest appreciates the extra effort they put in to make someone's stay enjoyable. Thanks also for recognising our great value and excellent location as a base for your exploration of Fiji's many beautiful islands and sights. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu! (thank you very much)
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We spent our last night in fiji here and it was a very good choice. A grand house that has been converted into a small boutique hotel. We had a seaview second floor room with shared balcony giving some great views over the property past the palms and out to sea. The room was clean and sparsely furnished and the ensuite small but adequate.
Although backpackers are accommodated here they are few in number and located toward the back of the property. The two larger backpacker resorts are located nearby and they tend to congregate there to party on etc.
The free breakfast is a bit of a con if you are expecting more than three nicely presented pancakes.
The small bar, lounge and dining area leading out to the pool, garden and beach are pleasant areas to spend time in. The lounges however could do with a bit of revamp as they were a bit grubby and let the place down.
While the beach looks great from the balcony on closer investigation you discover it is a mixture of sand and river silt as the hotel is located close to the harbour and river mouth and
any rough weather turns the sea into a grubby brown. This is not an area I would swim in.
As we were leaving late in the afternoon we were given free of charge bag storage and a use of a day room which we were very grateful for.
We had several meals and they were good quality and great value for money.
I would recommend this hotel to friends as a great value for money 3 star resort with a couple of reservations. The shared balcony is great providing your neighbours are compatible.
The stairwell outside your door tends to reverbrate noise up from the communal areas below. This was not a problem for us as there appeared to be few guests while we were there.
There are no supermarkets and limited dining in the area and it would be necessary to take a taxi if you wish to access these - not that expensive.
Ask for a detailed printed account on leaving, I don't like it when receptionists do their own tally and present you with a total amount to pay, especially when they make a mistake.
(In our case we booked through "bookings.com" but were charged their rack rate )

1 Thank kboldkart
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thanks for your review. We're very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the view and cleanliness of your Ocean view room. We're also happy that you enjoyed the quality and great value of your meals in our restaurant. We take note of your constructive comments on improvements we can make at our hotel. In fact, since you stayed here in August, the lounge furniture has all been completely recovered. We are also redoing all of the cushion covers and bed runners in our private rooms. We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to Fiji, and will enjoy even more the intimate, quality environment that makes Aquarius On The Beach special. Vinaka vakalevu! (Thank you very much).
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed in the ocean view room, upstairs with a large balcony and awesome views. An honest opinion of this property is that is was very clean but tired in areas. This does not mean it didn't function. I ordered Kakoda which was the best I had on my entire stay in Fiji and extremely well priced. The bar was definitely not expensive but the best plug I can give is for the staff. They were always friendly and attentive. A traveller must remember that many of the photos we see are of the island resorts with amazing beaches. The beach here is not an island resort but I swam, kayaked and walked it and it was absolutely lovely. I relaxed in one of the 5 massive hammocks and enjoyed sitting around the pool. If I was asked would I stay here again, the answer is absolutely! One thing that would've been handy is having a small fridge in the rooms.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms with sea views. Good storage, large shower, Big balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Spicekiwi
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Bula! And what a great review! Thank you for your positive comments on our hotel's features and the friendly and attentive staff that we have. They are our biggest asset. Your comment on the "tired" aspect of our hotel is being addressed on an ongoing basis. We are constantly working to upgrade and maintain our rooms and common areas, and have only this week completed the installation of new bi-fold doors and windows in our restaurant and bar areas. Your comment on having a fridge is also noted. We do have two fridges that we provide on request, but we are planning on introducing more in the near future. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to Aquarius and to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu! (Thank you very much)
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Pros:
- Very friendly staff
- Good service (for example laundry)
- You'll meet a bunch of other travellers as there are just hostels around

Cons:
- Extremely(!) squeaky bunk beds, not easy to sleep this way
- European prices for food and drinks (which applies also to all the other hostels in the area). As there is no supermarket nearby, all hostels seem to profit from this situation and charge a lot for food and drinks
- Ocean is not very attractive to swim

Tip: Staffs and guests from all the hostels in the area gather at the Bamboo to sing and play guitar together.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 0711master
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Bula and thanks for your comments. We're glad you appreciated our friendly staff, good service and the experience of meeting other travelers. Your comment on your squeaky dormitory bed has already been addressed since you stayed here in July. A lot of maintenance was done in August on our dormitory rooms. Our meal prices are competitive with any restaurant in Fiji. An average lunch at our hotel costs 5.5 Euros (US$7.50) which, for a beachfront hotel, is very good value for the high quality of our meals. It's unfortunate that the water in the ocean may not have been clear during your stay. We had a lot of rain in July as that was our wetter season. We hope you come back again to enjoy our friendly service and great holiday experience. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much)
Roma
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Located in the so-called new town, alongside a beach which is not quite the unspotted paradise you imagine when you think about Fiji islands.
The rooms are old, uncomfortable and not well cleaned.
The staff are friendly but not very efficient.
Would definitely not recommend it.

5 Thank einai
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Thanks for your review. We're sorry that your visit to Fiji and to our hotel was not to your liking. Your views are noted, but do not seem to agree with the majority of positive reviews we receive. Our rooms are not new, but they are kept spotlessly clean and are regularly updated and renovated. We are at present in the process of a "makeover" of bedding and our restaurant and bar areas. We hope you come back and appreciate our new look. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much).
Yorba Linda, California, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2013

While this was a great deal at $80/night and on the beach I think we could have gotten more for our money elsewhere. They were unreliable at picking my husband up from the airport, even despite the fact that I had emailed to confirm the pick up in advance (thankfully Smugglers driver was at the airport and kindly gave my husband a ride!). The beach location is great. Rooms just OK- our friends had a huge cockroach in their room because the door wouldn't properly close (albeit to be expected in Fiji). Beds need extra pillos- couldn't get comfortable on an almost flat one. The showers worked OK- little trouble getting water to not be either freezing or scalding hot- again to be expected in Fiji. The pool area and resteraunt were nice- good food, reasonable prices for lunch. Can't speak about dinner as we ended up going down to Smugglers. The hammocks need to be replaced and badly- couldn't really use most of them which was definitely a disapointment. Anyways- only stayed for a night on our way to the islands and I may or may not do it again. Might try Smugglers next time around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not above the kitchen if you plan on going to sleep early-- the noise was quite loud...
2 Thank Nichole P
AquariusOnBeach, Owner at Aquarius On The Beach, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Thanks for your review. We're happy that you appreciated the value of our hotel, which is very competitively priced and right on the beach. The issue you had with your airport pickup was discussed with our drivers and has hopefully been resolved. Hotel drivers at Nadi airport are only allowed to wait in a certain area of the airport and you apparently walked past the area where they wait. Since you stayed here, we have also replaced two of the large hammocks you commented on. We're glad that you appreciated our excellent food and good prices. We hope you choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Fiji. Vinaka vakalevu (thank you very much)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nadi
Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
#12 of 25 in Nadi
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Aquarius On The Beach? Share your experiences!