“Absolute Disgrace”

Grand West's Villas
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The previous bad reviews are all for a reason - they are right.
Fortunately for us we weren't paying for our accommodation for the night because our flight was cancelled and we were forced to stay here. NEVER EVER would I pay to stay here.

This hotel is right next to the airport runway and it is VERY noisy.
Our room was tired, outdated and had no security on the front door. We had no hot water in our room and when I complained I was told that it was a pump problem only to be then told it was an electrical problem and could not be fixed that night.

The TV did not work, the bed sheets were stained and the mattress and pillows were terrible. I could go on...

Ignore the replies from the manager on previous posts, he is clearly giving lip service to guests to try and convince any potential customers his hotel is OK which clearly it is not (get your act together Manager).

Best Western has some good hotels, this is not one of them. They should cut any ties with their name to this establishment.

Room Tip: There isn't one here!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank OzSaltyDogs
Zaheed H, Manager at Grand West's Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property as feedback is a vital aspect of our industry.

I am sorry the property did not meet your expectations on this occasion as it was an unexpected arrival due to the flight being cancelled and extra passengers were sent in by the airline which we had were not expecting.

Unfortunately we were fully booked and there were hardly any rooms available in the Nadi area. We did our best to make sure you had a comfortable stay with us..

I apologies for lack of hot water in your room as this was due to electrical fault which we could not fix at the time but was rectified the next day.

The rooms are constantly upgraded as well as our facilities and are highly rated by wholesalers and travel agents and also by Best Western.

I will certainly discuss the issues you raised with my team to ensure that the improvements are implemented.

Vinaka and regards.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I travelled solo to this hotel and put in room 504. The room had rat droppings in the bedroom. The knob for the aircon fell off and the cupboard handle fell off. The tv didn't work so I was moved to room 506. This room was a little better however there is no water pressure in the bathroom so showers are out and had a bath instead. The internet which is based downstairs in an open room is terrible. Make sure you use lots of mosquito repellent as you get bitten a lot because its not enclosed. I ordered room service twice and it was disgusting. The fish balls were burnt and the fried rice was drenched in so much soy sauce that I couldn't each any of it and it is expensive. They left my room service plates and tray outside my room for 4 days without picking it up. Considering that there was only me and another couple staying there this non service was disgusting for a hotel that prides itself on service. The worst thing of all was when I checked out and was just about to get into the taxi the receptionist came out and told me that I had taken the bathmat from the room. WHAT? A stinking bath mat. There was no bath mat in the room which is why I put a towel on the floor. I would never stay here ever again and would highly recommend The nadi bay resort hotel up the road instead as they have great rooms and fantastic food for great prices.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Samira O
Reviewed 20 June 2013

the room was perfect well presented neat and clean the staffs were friendly and helpful,foodwas great especially the club sandwiches done by main chef. gardens all around and pool was fantastic.
great value for money, highly recommended

Room Tip: 2 bedroom villas
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Worst experience and hotel ever! Security stole my iPad when we were out on a day cruise. Hotel manager refused to help with completing the police report. Rooms very small and old. Lizards on the walls in the room and front lobby! Low water pressure in the shower and not very close to any real sightseeing opportunities. Don't ruin your trip staying in this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tabitha E
Zaheed H, Manager at Grand West's Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

With regards to the missing IPad. We have thoroughly investigated all the staff including the security company. The delay in replying was due to having interview all staff and some just returned from days off. We also have tried many times to involve the Police and they had required that the complainant report this matter but we tried very hard to get them to action this matter asap as the main objective is to retrieve the IPad. We have met the senior police officers who have agreed to assist with this matter as this is now a criminal case. At our insistence, today the Police Inspector came to the hotel to expedite the investigation.

The security guard did check you room and didn’t find any item left behind. The next morning the housemaid cleaned the room and also did not found any item left behind.

As we live in the tropics, we do get geckos from time to time but we try to control and minimize this.

We seldom have water pressure problems and our water pumps are activated whenever low pressure is experienced.

We have an open mind on this matter and are following up with the Police regularly hopefully this case will be resolved asap to and the iPad recovered.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

The children hyperventilated at the sight of a dead cockroach in the downstairs shower and were fascinated with the stray cat and her kittens that implored us for food. Room was dust laden and hairs in bathroom, as a previous reviewer mentioned! Dead lights were unable to be fixed until the next morning when maintenance arrived and the swing in the children's play area is definitely a health and safety hazard! And planes sound as though they are landing next to you! However, all that said - if you've travelled to India, this is a luxury. The staff were some of the friendliest we had encountered during our stay, nothing was too much trouble. The villa (block 100) is spacious and bedroom air conditioning worked extremely well albeit a tad noisy. This was the cheapest accommodation during our stay so value for money and located in good distance between Nadi town, airport and Denarau for tour departures. Overall, if you can rough it with a few bugs, dust and strays, and don't intend to spend so much time in the actual room, this place is fine for the money.

Room Tip: Apparently, the block we were in was the newer one so ask for that?
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We arrived late after our flight, was given a form to sign in and a key. No information was provided about the room or resort.
Upon entering the first room, found multiple bugs in room as well has hairs all over the bathroom. Was room moved to another room which was just as bad. Spoke to the receptionist that night and she said I can't help you see the manager tomorrow.
The next morning I spoke with the manager who did not care. He mentioned that the second room was recently inspects and received a perfect score. I'm sorry if that was the best room at the resort than this place is not worth staying.
As I have been to Fiji a number of times, I understand that the tropical weather will result in bugs. But the conditions in the two rooms was not acceptable.
The manager mentioned that he can not refund the remainder of the stay as i wanted to leave Early. After speaking with Expedia we received a refund for the remainder of the stay.
Only stay here if you are totally desperate and have no other option. I mean if nothing else is available.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Raffdawg
Zaheed H, Manager at Grand West's Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear Mr. Andrew,
Thank you or taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I have investigated your comments thoroughly and had a discussion with you the next morning. We apologies if your expectations were not met but we try very hard to ensure that all our guests are looked after as best as we can.
You had stated that no information was provided to you upon check-in. According to our reception staff, she did inform you about availability of supplementary facilities in the property which includes the restaurant, pool, internet facility and dialing instructions to the reception. This is our normal procedure where the front office staff needs to advise all guests of our facilities as standard procedure.
After our checks, no bugs were found. None of our hotel rooms have bugs but we do get a few flying insects like moths around the gardens and at night they are attracted into the rooms by the lights. All our rooms are equipped with well maintained insect screens that keep them out but they can get in if the insect screens or door are left open. We also do regular pest/insect control and spraying and have a contracted supplier who does this on a regular basis. We rarely get complaints about insects or bugs but being in the tropics this is an area we try to control.
Both rooms given to you are good quality rooms and the second room was subject to quality assessment inspection by our brand rep from Australia that same day. The rooms were also thoroughly inspected by our senior authorities for cleanliness and compliance. We can provide you evidence to prove this with the quality assessment report done by the brand rep for the same day. Your first room was inspected early the next day and we did not find any bugs or defects of any nature in the room.
A discussion on your complaint was held between you and I early the next morning. Prior to discussing the matter with you, the Housekeeper and I personally checked the room first thing in the morning as my front office had advised that a check-in guest had asked for a room change the night before. We did not find any defect in the room – no bugs or hairs was present as we did a very detailed check which is our normal procedure if we get a complaint.
During our meeting, you advised that bugs were the main reason for you to ask for a room change. No other room defect was identified by you. After you advised about cancelling your remaining nights with us and requested a refund, I explained to you that since you booked through a travel agent that you will get a refund from the travel agent directly and we will authorise this without penalty. You had agreed to this refund method after our explanation. This is a standard procedure with agent’s bookings. We are happy to hear that the agent had refunded you the balance of your booking with us.
I tried to enquire from you further where you claimed that our rooms were not to a satisfactory standard but you were reluctant to talk further and limited us to a brief discussion. We wanted to know as such feedback may assist us to improve on our service delivery.
I would like to advise that we are available for discussion and assistance wherever possible and have been doing the same with all our guests. All complaints by guests are looked into seriously by me and our team and in no way we would want our guests to leave dissatisfied.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.
Vinaka and best regards,
Nitesh Prasad,

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We stayed one night , each side of our Plantation Island holiday, we found the villas to be basic but clean.After driving 30 minutes , we arrived at our villa which to our shock/ surprise was right behind Nadi Airport . We werent expecting too much as we were only there a short time( on transit to Plantation Island) We did use their restaurant , which only had a limited amount of items to choose from. Food was extremely poor, nothing special. Staff just did their job, nothing more. We left the next morning, to catch a ferry to Plantation Island after having problems with our transfer bookings, we just made our ferry on time.On our return trip we did use the pool, which was enjoyed by our kids as it has a slippery dip. We caught a taxi to McDonalds rather than eat at the restaurant. In future we will always use the Mocambo Hotel ,if in transit. Much better experience and cheaper.

Room Tip: Near Reception, away from Nadi runway
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family