“Good Night's Sleep Will Cost You”

Tropic of Capricorn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The location was amazing, the pool was great, the sitting room great, and I liked the presence of animals. However, I wish there had been more food options ie. snacks or half meals, and that the breakfast was more than toast, even if at a greater cost. Also, I could not sleep during the night because from my room on the ground floor I could HEAR EVERYTHING going on in the place, including very loud drinking until dawn by the staff members and their friends, during which the previously cute dog barked and howled without restraint. I would not have stayed more than the night I did in transit to an island resort, and will not be making a return visit.

Room Tip: Do NOT go on ground level. Choose one with a balcony or else you will not sleep. (And even then I do...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at Mamas three different times, first time one night, second 5 night and the third 8 nights. Mama was there the first two times but even though she went to New Zealand I had a great time!! Kele and Auntie Bella is nice and helpful, the food is GREAT (the spaghetti bolognese blows your mind!!!!) No bedbugs, clean sheets and hot showers! And if you want to go different day activities just ask Kele and he'll hook you up! Plus if you want to go to the island and not bring your big backpack you can just leave it there.

Right next to mamas is smugglers which is really expensive (38 dollars for a 30 bed dorm!!) and bamboo is full of bedbugs and you have to keep your valuables with you! I really recommend this place out of those and even in Nadi (stayed at a few other hostels in Nadi). Thanks so much for your hospitality!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Spent one night before travelling to the islands which was great. Mama really looked after me, just like being at home. However when I returned a few days later not quite the same service. Seemed to be an inconvenience to order food. Also realised I had 'lost' a t shirt when my laundry was done during first stay and saw one of the staff wearing it when I returned. Tried to think of it as a coincidence until she went into the kitchen and turned it inside out. As mama wasn't around I didn't feel comfortable to confront any one about it. Pool is good and spacious dorm.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

After reading the reviews on how friendly the staff were, we were pretty disappointed when we arrived and were practically thrown the key to our room. We had booked and paid for an ocean view room but ended up in room 7 , overlooking to pool. Room is clean enough, however the mattress was disgusting. Please Mamma, at least use mattresses protectors. We had dinner at the property which was very nice, however the breakfast is just toast and coffee .

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy E
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed in the dorm room downstairs and upstairs,the upstairs dorm was more spacious. Both rooms were clean and comfortable.

We came back twice whilst in Fiji because we felt like were at home. Mama and the team are great, they cook lovely food, help you with travel plans and generally treat you so well.

It is a quiet hotel, right on the beach with a pool. It it accessible to catch a bus right outside the resort to Nadi town and walking distance to a local supermarket. It also has other resorts next door so you can go for a fews drink or watch the fire show for some entertainment.

I would love to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We spent a lot of time in Mama’s place and it was fantastic! We had a great private room with a balcony with an ocean view, AC, fridge and a nice big clean bathroom. Room was quiet small but it was clean and had no bedbugs or other annoying creatures!!! Compared with other options around, it was really amazing and for a really good price!!! We can also recommend the dorms. They were spacious and clean with new beds and a nice bathroom.
Mama took great care of us and we felt like at home. She cooked her delicious food (we still miss it!!!) which was not expensive (11-18 F$ per meal) and a lot! If we needed any help or info, we could always ask Mama or Jerry! We also booked our trip to Yasawas with Mama and it was the best choice. Mama recommended the resorts and they were the best as she said! Everything was perfectly organized so we didn’t have to worry about anything.
If you are a backpacker and you need a good cheap place to stay in Fiji, this is the place to go! We met a lot of great people there. We had amazing evenings sitting all together with Mama and others, eating, talking and having great time. It is not just a hostel, it is a great place where everybody is really friendly and will always take care of you!
Although, some people claim Mama is only interested in your money, I strongly disagree with them. Obviously, it is her business and you need to pay for your room and food (It is not a charity). However, Mama gave us a discounts and it was her initiative. Her heart is big and she does not want to rip you off!!!
Mama- thank you so much again for everything! We had an amazing time in Fiji! We will never forget you! We send greetings to Bella, Jerry and all the others! Take care of yourself and use your gavel to keep order in your place!

Vinaka vakalevu!!!
Kami & Kevin

Room Tip: Ask for an Oceanview Room!!!
Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KamiKevin
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I'm a 27yr old backpacker and had been on the road for 6months before I stayed with Mama. She advised me on the islands to visit (which she got spot on!) and organised everything for me plus she ensured I didn't get ripped off which was reassuring.

On my return from one of the islands I fell sick and she looked after me like your real mum would!

She was simply fantastic, really friendly and it is a place I would recommend to anyone.

Thanks Mama