“Lovely tranquil five star resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney,Australia
“Lovely tranquil five star resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

This is a fabulous resort. It is definitely a more sophisticated experience for Fiji. Some people don't like that aspect but we enjoyed it especially after a couple of nights in Denarau.

We stayed in a one bedroom Club plunge suite for six nights. The room was lovely, well serviced although one day it wasn't serviced by 3:00 pm so I called to organise it to be serviced and it was at about 5:00 pm.

The only issue we had with the room was that it didn't have the view we expected. We thought being in the Club suites we would get a lovely view and it wasn't the case. We had a bit of a view if we stood at the far edge of the pool. So be aware that the Club suites don't mean that you get a view. Some have no views at all, not even as good as the one we had. Also the pool was very cold.

The service, breakfast, canapes, afternoon tea and cocktails at the Club were excellent and made choosing the Club good value.

The resort itself is lovely. The only issue we had was that the pools (adult infinity, kids pool and the Club pool) were all too cold to be able to just jump in and enjoy. So the resort should heat the pools in the Fiji "winter" months.

The food at the resort is variable. We ate 3 times in the Navo restaurant which was Five Star. The Toba restaurant was just okay and the Sanasana buffet was passable but not great.

I went to the Spa for a facial and massage and it was excellent. It was a birthday gift which I really enjoyed.

Overall the resort really redefines what you expect from Fiji in terms of ambience and food. The service could still be improved because it is very slow and the idea of "Fiji time" seems to prevail a bit too much, but is always friendly.

The snorkelling off the glass bottom boat excursion is excellent and worth the trip.

Overall we had a wonderful holiday with our family and the resort really offers what you want when you go on holiday to Fiji.

Room Tip: The Club is really excellent if you want your own pool but next time we would choose to stay a coupl...
1 Thank dulcieb
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Bula dulcieb,

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay in our Club InterContinental suite, and hope you enjoyed our sunset cocktails and canapés in the Club Lounge during the evenings while you were with us. I will be sure to pass all your comments on to the team here at the resort as we appreciate our guests’ feedback to continuously enhance our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay. You are welcome to contact me directly on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will ensure the team takes great care of you once again.

Scott Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed 6 nights in a two bedroom Club Suite with our two young children. The room was enormous, spacious, beautifully decorated and clean. We were however really surprised for the nightly cost that our room had no views. Our last stay we stayed in a much cheaper room with a fabulous view - it seems, to be paying almost $1200 a night with no view is not the 5 star luxury one would expect for the price.

The service staff were friendly and the food was generally very good. The club was a great experience and added a lot of value to our trip with the evening canapés, afternoon tea and tranquil breakfasts. We were given more Fiji water then we could drink which was fabulous. Navo was also absolutely superb and a real highlight of this holiday.

But my list of negatives is also quite long. The pools are freezing cold. Its much more pleasant to swim in the ocean. We have visited twice now at different times of the year and its been unpleasant to swim. Our daughter who is 2.5 was coming out blue. I never even put our 6 month old in her swimmers. I felt like we holidayed on a tropical island but we never really even got to have a relaxing swim. The resort is in a very windy area so its not really boiling hot, so I'd expect the hotel to do something to make the pools warmer.

Our rooms took too long to make up each day (over an hour) and we were generally stuck in our room watching the cleaner while our 6 month old baby slept or we tried to get ready to go swimming with someone in our room - it was awkward and I think starting to service rooms at 8.30am when people are at breakfast is not a good time as you'd expect the occupants to return to get ready for the day. Our floors were also not cleaned all week, I think because we were in the rooms.

Our sheets had holes in them one day, our bath never had the bath soak replaced after it was emptied, internet was very slow, television was so limited and since we spent a lot of time in our room we hoped there would have been a few more options for movies or tv. You have to pay really if you want to see something.

Our Spa experience was average. We used the sauna and pools before our treatment, only to come out and not be offered a drink before being taken for the massage. On our last visit we had been given time to unwind in the lounge area and given a drink and small snack. Other guests looked to get this but not us. My robe had a huge tear down the front and my towel was frayed. Not the 5 star luxury you expect. They also rang us at 930pm on our second last night to offer us a discounted visit. Too late during our stay and not an appropriate time to ring as they woke us up (our kids are up with the sun so we go to bed early).

I would't recommend people not to go, but I wouldn't be raving about it to anyone. The resort is beautiful but until the heat the pools I wont be going back. I'd also skip the spa on a future visit.

Room Tip: if you get a club room request a view, from what I saw about half have no views.
2 Thank jenmad
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Bula jenmad,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful and thorough review of our resort! I was delighted to read you enjoyed the very best of our Club InterContinental facilities as well as the other wonderful aspects of the resort. With cocktails, personal butlers and a magnificent sunset each night the Club Lounge is definitely a fantastic place to be.

I was disappointed however to read you did not experience the usual high standards provided by our housekeeping and Spa InterContinental teams. I will be sure to pass your feedback on to our department heads to immediately address the issues you have highlighted.

We look forward to the opportunity to show you a stay that reflects our usual high standards. Please feel free to mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on your next travel dates and will ensure the team takes wonderful care of you.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed at the InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa for 3 nights/4Days back in February of this year.

Every staff member that we encountered was alert, attentive, and willing to go that extra mile to help us out.

The beach front Suite that we stayed in was truly amazing (thanks for the upgrade guys-much appreciated!). So much space, separate dining area and bedroom, massive bathroom area. And best of all, outdoor soak tub and daybeds on our patio. Also, easy, direct and BEST access to the beautiful beach. We would literally wake up, open our patio sliding door and walk ~10 metres straight to the beach and go for a good swim. This was pretty much par for the course every day that we were there. Throw in some golf at the nearby course, dips in the infinity pool, and poolside cocktails and you've got a solid holiday ;).

We dined/drank at: Toba, Kama Lounge, and Sanasana. Didn't get an opportunity to go to Novo - we kept forgetting about it since it was back near our room and you tend to gravitate around the Kama Lounge for the evening entertainment (the fire juggling is awesome), so totally forgot! Maybe next time!

All in all, excellent service, excellent rooms, tasty food (a bit on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for!), and an amazing time. Also, if you're a fan of indian curries, try out the Room Service menu for the lamb curry - one of the best curries I've ever eaten!

Room Tip: If you can get the corner beach front suite, room 2212 I think, then totally go for it. Quite priva...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank intrepidkiwitraveler
Bula intrepidkiwitraveler,

Thank you for your fantastic review! I was thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay with us here on Natadola Bay. It truly is a stunning location; however I have to agree that it really is the genuine, welcoming nature of the people that sets it apart.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to your home here at Natadola. Do feel free to email me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see that our team is on hand to take wonderful care of you once more.

Finley, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I travelled with a lady friend and we are both in our 70's. We were picked up and dropped off at the airport and both of our drivers gave us a lot of background and history of Fiji. When we arrived at the Intercontinental we were treated like royalty and whisked off to our room in a golf cart driven by Terence who promised to pick us up and take us back at any time. He did!! The room was lovely with a terrace outside with lounges and a huge spa bath. Every Fijian we met was cheerful, friendly and ready to help us enjoy our holiday. Meals were wonderful. We had a full buffet breakfast included and we ate at the buffet at night. Every night was a different theme. We arrived on Italian night, but our favourite was Fijian night. We didn't do any trips as we were there for a restful time which we had. We could not complain about anything or anyone. It was exactly what we were looking for. Of course there are pools, beaches and the lagoon if we wanted them but we just relaxed. There were also quite a lot of young families and they were well catered for. Plenty to keep the kids busy, also the Kids Club and nannies available. I would recommend the Intercontinental to anybody - young or old. It is also a very popular venue for weddings and they are beautifully organized. Loved it, would go back tomorrow!!
Our room was large, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: If I went again I would choose an upstairs room overlooking the beach. We were downstairs and close...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank francesrose
Bula francesrose,

Vinaka vaka levu for your lovely review! I was delighted to read you found the resort was exactly what you were looking for and that you and your friend enjoyed a relaxing escape.

We appreciate your high recommendation and I will be sure to pass this feedback on to the team who will be thrilled to hear they were able to make your stay memorable.

We look forward to having you stay with us again. Please feel free to email me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see our team takes great care of you once again.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Excellent rooms, great beach & lagoon, kids pool is perfect and the adults pool overlooking the beach is stunning. Navo restaurant is first rate with excellent food and a magnificent outlook. The poolside bar and grill is very good for casual meals.
Staff are fantastic, very helpful, friendly and engaging.
The golf course is part of the resort and if you have ever picked up a club a round of golf is a must if only for the views.
A bit disappointing were the nightly buffets at Sanasana - average food and overpriced.
Also there were a few functions on during our stay, many nights one or more of the restaurants were closed - disappointing when dining options are limited. Overall a great resort but a couple of niggles prevented giving it the top rating. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Beach and lagoon view rooms really have amazing outlooks
2 Thank Gavin J
Bula Gavin J,

Thank you for your review, I was delighted to read you had a wonderful holiday with us at Natadola Bay and experienced the enthusiastic spirit of our team!

We look forward to having you stay with us again! Be sure to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on your travel dates and I will see that our team takes care of you once again.

Sydney Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on a conference, followed by 2 nights R and R with my husband. 2nd stay here. This is a beautiful property with stunning rooms, all with lovely outdoor areas and outdoor baths. What I like most about the resort are the rooms and the general atmosphere. It's very relaxing. A highlight is sunset drinks, always such a feeling of peace and tranquillity. Staff in all areas of the hotel are fantastic and friendly.

My "buts" are: 1. Food was generally of an average standard and overpriced. Would definitely suggest looking into investing in a Priority Privilege card which gives you 50% discount on food. Food at Navo restaurant was better quality, but expensive. 2. Cleanliness of rooms was average. Bath not cleaned on check in to 2nd room, cot left in room from previous guests, hairballs in the first room and verandah. Just not that 5 star quality. 3. Main bar -forgotten the name of it, near reception, whilst an amazing setting for sunset drinks, service very slow. Hotel could quadruple it's bar revenue if staff only came around more often to offer drinks service. We always had to go up to the bar to order drinks due to lack of waitservice. 4. A sour note was that my colleague left my shirt in her room and this was never found, despite follow up emails.
Looking back on this review it sounds very negative, but really just a few negative points in what was otherwise a fantastic stay. Oh and internet in rooms is pretty cheap FJD 20 per 24 hrs.
Definitely visit the day spa. It's one of the best anywhere. The couples treatment with massage, facial and skin scrub was FJD 225 per person which is pretty good value, considering the surroundings.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cazzyg
Bula Cazzyg,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I was delighted to read you had a lovely stay with us and enjoyed our luxurious facilities.

Sipping sunset cocktails overlooking Natadola Bay is certainly a fantastic way to unwind, and I was thrilled to read you also had the opportunity to indulge a little at Spa InterContinental while you were here.

I was disappointed to read that you did not find out food and beverage offerings met your expectations and I will be sure to pass this feedback on as we seek to continuously enhance our guest services.

We look forward to having you stay with us again at Natadola Bay for another relaxing stay. Please feel free to email me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see the team takes care of you once more.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Intercontinental Fiji and ate twice at the Navo restaurant. It was outstanding and not bad value for money when comparing to the other resort's restaurants. The staff are the best and make you feel very special. There are lots of nice little freebies such as a starter, and liquid dessert. We would definitely recommend a couple of visits to Navo when staying here.

Room Tip: We received a free upgrade from Lagoon to Beachfront which was fantastic.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bula Julie M,

Vinaka vaka levu for your short but very sweet review of our resort and fine dining restaurant, Navo. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed both the dining and service of our wonderful staff.

I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team and we look forward to welcoming you again to our home in paradise. Please feel free to email me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will have the team take great care of you once more.

Scott Williams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,811 reviews

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!