“Not what I expected”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here in June for 5 nights. We were there for the wedding of two of our good friends. The wedding was amazing and I know the couple were so happy with everything - so congratulations to the wedding co-ordinator Ema.

Whilst the hotel was very pretty and the rooms were lovely, we were both a little disappointed. It was our first ever stay in a five star resort so maybe our expectations were too high. We found it a little bit impersonal.

Perhaps we were just unlucky but our room (a pool view room) was surrounded by babies that cried through the night and were woken early each day by squealing children in the pool. We were originally in a Garden View room but upgraded to Pool View as I had joined Ambassador Gold. In hindsite, staying in the Garden View room would probably been more restful.

I had a fall on some steps that were slippery wet from the rain and badly sprained my ankle. So be careful if you're walking around during or after rain.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms were very noisy as it's facing on to the family pool so we were woken early with...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ellecelle
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Bula ellecelle,

Thank you for your review. The team and I were pleased to read that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and that you both enjoyed your friend’s memorable occasion. Your comments regarding noise and safety have been forwarded onto the team for their attention and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Your lovely comments about the wedding have been forwarded onto the team, especially Ema, who I’m sure will be delighted to hear from you.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay in paradise again soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next travel dates and I will see that you are well looked after.

Kind Regards,
Area Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (877)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We recently stayed here as part of our trip to Fiji. We had stayed at the Sofitel in Denarau first & then came to the Intercontinental.

We had a few issues when we arrived. Firstly, my husband is a Platinum member of their rewards program (the top tier) but when we arrived they told us he was only Classic. It took us quite some time to get this sorted. As part of being Platinum, we are supposed to be upgraded if available. The hotel clearly wasn't anywhere near full but we weren't upgraded. When we asked about it they told us they would get back to us. The next day, when we hadn't heard anything, my husband asked again & they said they would get back to us. They never did.

When we arrived at our room, we were really disappointed to see a whole heap of furniture piled up outside our door. We had chosen the Garden View room because it was the only room with two beds & we were travelling with two small children. It turned out, the view from our room was straight into another room so it didn't feel overly private. The other frustration was that the room had double beds but the pillows were obviously designed for the kings beds in the other room because the two pillows didn't fit on the bed, they hung over the edge.

The staff were a bit hit & miss here. Some of the staff we encountered were fantastic. The staff at the Toba Bar & Grill were fantastic. Very friendly, excellent service & great food. We ended up eating most of our meals there. The staff we encountered in Sanasana were hit & miss. Some were friendly, some made you feel like you were an inconvenience.

The hotel itself is gorgeous. A beautiful location, great facilities. The pool areas were beautiful. My husband and I managed to get some snorkelling in while the kids were at Kids Club one morning & it was really nice.

We were only there for a few days & wish we'd been there longer. The place is so big that by the time we had settled & really worked out what was going on, we were leaving.

This would be an amazing place to have a romantic couples holiday or to even get married (gorgeous chapel). Not as "family oriented" as the Sofitel but still a wonderful place to stay.

Despite the issues when we arrived we still really enjoyed the Intercontinental. We will go back but we definitely would book a different room.

Room Tip: Look at the Priority Privilege card before booking - you'll save a heap.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank gracie5star
Bula gracie5star,

Thank you for your review. The team and I were pleased to read that your family had a wonderful holiday with us and that you enjoyed our resort facilities and service. I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed our Planet Trekkers kids club and took the opportunity to snorkel in the crystal clear waters of Natadola Bay. Your comments about service quality and your room have been forwarded onto our Rooms and F&B Directors address and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We would be delighted to welcome you back for another stay in paradise again soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you are looking at your next travel dates and I will see that you are well looked after.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

3rd time to Fiji (previously stayed at Intercontinental), first to Sofitel. We broke this trip up to a week Coral Coast - Intercontinental and a week Sofitel. (This review will be used for both hotels). Sofitel - booked a deal for less than $200 a night Luxury Family Room. Best points: Kids sleeping area (we have a 3 year old), Water slide, Management quick to respond to any issues (apart from last day - no wake up call, late to pick up our things from room), Bula Bus great. Don't miss the movie night - outside. All the activities-especially for the kids. Cheap Kids Club. Worst Points: Nothing really bad - room more 4 star, some staff excellent, others (mostly Indian Fijian) not as friendly. Beach not the best. Food expensive BUT cheaper than Intercontinental (Recommend eat out some nights at Golf Club and Port).
Intercontinental: Booked a deal for $280 a night. Best Points: Great big room, staff extremely friendly (big improvement since visit 2 years ago), Management responded to an email and offered a good deal on roll away for 3 year old. Village Tour, Beach good and pools great for adults/kids. Even when crowded it feels personal and you get to know everyone in the resort. Kids welcome to be "warriors" for fire lighting dance. Worst points: The room can never have the light completely blocked out and I wake up easily - so curtains in room would help keep it dark. Expensive Food and kids club is 3 x more expensive than Sofitel. Also, get a Taxi from airport for $65 FJD agaist a Hotel booked transfer for 3 or 4 times more.
Intercon V Sofitel: No clear winner and you will enjoy both as depends on what you want but although both say they are 5 star the Intercon is a star above. If you have kids perhaps Sofitel just and if without Kids and wanting a romantic get away I would say Intercon. Both however are great and go with the best deal.

Room Tip: All rooms are great so you can't go wrong :)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Craig R
Bula Craig R,

Thank you for your lovely recommendation. The team and I were pleased to read that your family had a wonderful experience with us and that your children enjoyed being ‘warriors’ for our daily fire lighting ceremony. For your next stay I recommend purchasing a Priority Privilege card which has some great benefits including up to 50% discount on food and beverages across all IHG properties. We would love to welcome you back to our sunny shores again soon. Please feel free to email me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next family holiday and I will see that the team takes wonderful care of you once more.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

A superb resort situated on a beautiful beach with excellent facilities.We particularly enjoyed Navo Restaurant and the nearby Natadola Golf Course with it's scenic but challenging layout.Having visited Fiji many times we can thoroughly recommend this resort.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert N
Bula Robert N,

Thank you for writing us a review. The team and I were pleased to read that you and your partner had a lovely stay with us and enjoyed our resort facilities and service. I was also delighted to read that you both enjoyed an intimate dining experience at our signature restaurant, Navo, and took on the challenge of our Natadola Bay Championship Golf Course.

I will be sure to pass on your comments on to the team who will be delighted to hear from you.

We look forward to sharing our little piece of paradise with you again soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan to return and I will see that the team takes great care of you again.

Sydney,Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here for six nights in June. It was our second time to visit this hotel. We were there at the same time last year, and went to celebrate my birthday.

We stayed in a King Club Plunge, which was great. We had a lovely view of the reef from our room. The room was huge, with a beautiful bathroom. The bed was hard - I don't remember it being like that last time.

This year, the Navo restaurant offered breakfast. It is magnificent to sit outside, looking at the lagoon and reef and having breakfast in such a peaceful location. I highly recommend it.

The food was very good in Toba Bar and Grill and excellent in Navo. Not so much in Sanasana. We don't really like buffets because they are noisy, busy, you have to get up and down all the time, and unfortunately at this one, at any one time there was only half the buffet there. We went on seafood night and wouldn't go again.

The staff, as always were professional, attentive and very friendly. My husband was sick while we were there, and they looked after him like he was one of their family. We really appreciated the genuine care they showed. Kelly even gave him a hug when he saw him again because he thought he probably needed one.

I highly recommend this resort. It is an excellent five star resort, I would even put the Club accommodation at 6 stars, with the plunge pool.

The snorkelling tour for $50 fjd each was excellent. This was the second time we did it and it was great both times.

Room Tip: The Club is a great option.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dulcieb
InterContinenta... F, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Bula ducieb,

Thank you for your review. The team and I were pleased to read that you and your partner enjoyed your second holiday with us and that we were able to make your birthday another special and memorable occasion. I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed an intimate breakfast experience at Navo – it certainly is a beautiful place to dine at for both breakfast and dinner, and our team’s warm Fijian hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise again soon. Please feel free to contact me on erik.stuebe@ihg.com when you plan your next romantic escape and I will see that the team takes wonderful care of you once more.

Draper, Utah
Reviewed 12 June 2014

When we decided on this trip I was a bit hesitant, quite a haul from Utah. Dreaded the flights, etc...We had our fair share of hiccups in the beginning. I think some details were lost in translation. However, the staff was very apologetic and went out of their way to ensure the rest of our time with them went with out any issues. They exceeded every expectation I had. Upon arrival on a Thursday the Bell staff informed us that they had no record of our arrival until Sunday. Please proceed to the Reception area...Reception basically told us the same thing, but give us a minute we will prepare a room. A very nice lady escorts us down to breakfast and within about an hour voila, she appears again with room keys very apologetic and informs us that our luggage has been delivered to the room. Once finished with a lovely breakfast at Sansana, (highly recommend the chocolate croissants and the coffee tastes divine), We proceeded to our room. No luggage upon arrival, so we called, " oh yes, they were delivered", it appears to the wrong room. Within about 5 minutes the luggage is delivered. About 5 more minutes and we receive a knock on the door. Housekeeping informing us that if we are not going to check out, we must extend with the front desk. "We just arrived and aren't planning on going anywhere", " oh I see, my apologies, I will inform them". A bit of confusion. During this initial 4 hours we were treated very kind, with many apologies and they did come through for us. Seems they just needed to communicate with a few key people. Things to know about the room, bed was comfortable, clean linens, 4 king sized down pillows, had 5 great nights of sleep. Basic amenities inside the room, ironing board and iron, blow dryer, robes, wet bar area with a few offerings that you are charged for. Tile floors throughout. Patios are quite nice with a lounge bed and large tub, a nice curtain type draw for privacy. Not the best I have ever had also, not the worst. Once unpacked and arranged we headed to the adult pool, this was about 1PM Fiji time. There was plenty of seating available and plenty of shade also an amazing view of the Ocean. This is where we spent the next 5 days. Adult pool is very cold, Ocean is like a bath tub. There was one day when they ran out of towels, I think this is only because several people request multiple towels each morning. You don't see much on the lounge chair saving which was nice for a change. Also, something I noticed was there are no smokers. If there were they were very respectful of other guests. US Citizens, first thing you have to learn about is Fiji Time. The hustle and bustle of our everyday lives does not exist here, this is a much slower pace than even Maui Time. After about 11 AM service starts out at the pool and in the Toba restaurant. We made a dear friend here that will forever be a part of our hearts and souls, Saula. My eyes fill with tears thinking about the experience that this young man provided us. He wasn't the only one, there were many others whose names I don't recall or didn't write down. Every one made us feel so welcomed, it was like returning home to a family we had never met. I can not rave enough about the service and friendliness and kindness we received at this resort. Grounds are spectacular and very well maintained. Enjoyed all meals, suggest the curry beef dish at Toba and the pizzas were awesome! Also enjoyed the fish and chips, we ordered both the fish and chips and a pizza each day for lunch. The ice tea was also a hit, very different, but delicious. NZ Ice Cream bar was a fun stop each night before bed, and cocktails at the Kama Lounge each night for the Fire Lighting Ceremony, which I suggest seeing. The Resort is very isolated from anything outside of it's walls, about 40 minutes into Nadi and 20 min into Sigatoka. Would I go back? Of course without hesitation just for the people alone, I only wish it was closer to a 5 hour flight. My entire Fiji experience out ranks any others and I credit that to the people of Sansana Village and others who work at the Intercontinental who have permanently left a mark on my life.

Room Tip: We were in 1514. Ground level with a nice view of the children's pool. We were happy with this...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thegasgod_slcut
Bula thegasgod_slcut,

Thank you for your lovely review. The team and I were delighted to read that you and your partner to stay with us in Fiji all the way from Utah! We were also thrilled to read that you both enjoyed our team’s warm Fijian hospitality and that you enjoyed our resort facilities and services. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team, especially Saula, who I’m sure will be excited to hear from you.

It was a pleasure to have you and we would love to welcome you back to our sunny shores again soon. Please do let me know on erik.stuebe@ihg.com when you plan your next romantic getaway and I will see that you are well looked after once again.

Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife, toddler and i stayed here for 7 nights in a beachfront 1 bedroom suite at the end of May 2014. The room was decent with a large balcony however the view was heavily obscured due to the thick canopy of palms and trees. We requested a first floor balcony suite as our toddler run's everywhere and the ground floor rooms have no enclosed area to keep them from the water.
The lagoon rooms seem a better option for views, yet miss a lot of the sun during the day. The aircon in the room worked well which was great as during the day if the doors were open we seemed to be inundated with wasps…perhaps there was a nest nearby? I don't know. The bed was average, after 4 night's my back was sore and i couldn't wait to get home to our's.

Unfortunately the food at the resort is extremely sub standard for the price payed. There are few dining options outside the resort so you are left with Sanasana and Toba unless you want to fork out a minimum $100 aussie (per head) for a decent meal at Navo every night.
Toba's food was seriously bad. The only thing they did remotely ok was the beef burger. Pizza, pastas, sandwiches and curry was rubbish.
The buffet at sanasana was ok for breakfast but the dinner buffet's were woeful and although differently themed, seemed much the same each night.
We ate at Navo one night and it was beautiful, we just couldn't afford to eat there every night!
I should mention that the Fijian staff were lovely and were happy to try and accommodate any requests, the chef's just found it hard to back up.
If the food at Sanasana/Toba was $15-$20(aus) less per meal i could understand the quality however it is not.
The resort is in a nice location and the grounds are well kept and relatively peaceful.
The pool (both kids & adult) was freezing - hard to stay in unless the sun was blazing.
The daily cleaning service was pretty average, but for the $$ the Fijian Intercontinental employees seem to earn, i am not surprised.
Check out was painful, it took a good 25 minutes as they could not get my lunch bill from the same day to the front desk.
My wife had a beautiful facial at the spa and the facilities there were nice. The golf course is of a great standard but don't just go there for lunch as the food once again was below average (the views are nice though).
Babysitting service is definitely worthwhile, the ladies were lovely as was the kids club.
Considering that this is meant to be a 5 star resort, they certainly miss the mark and just don't stack up. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Unless you want a Club Villa, try the Lagoon rooms right next to Navo or the Beachfront rooms right...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank nZed808
Bula Nathan Z,

Thank you for your feedback. The team and I were disappointed to read that you and your family were not satisfied with your recent experience on Natadola Bay. I wish to assure you that your feedback is invaluable and has been forwarded to the team to address.

I was pleased however to read that your wife enjoyed Spa InterContinental and that your child enjoyed our Planet Trekkers kids club and babysitting services. Please feel free to contact me directly on erik.stuebe@ihg.com if you feel to discuss your concerns further.

Kind Regards,
Area General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!