“Big, comfortable and enjoyable”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Perth, Australia
“Big, comfortable and enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed three nights here at the end of a 10 day Fiji holiday in a Pool View room.

Positives:
- The rooms are beautiful - spacious and well furnished.
- The resort itself is huge, but never felt too overcrowded.
- There are numerous food and bar options, the service is good and the food is quite good considering how many people they feed!
- Staff were very friendly and accommodating

Negatives:
- Food was good, but given that there are limited local options it may get boring after a while (mainly for lunch). This is no fault of the hotel, just given the remote location.
- The location is nice, but doesn't compare to the islands for things to do around the resort. Snorkelling is not great and the reef dries out on low tide. Activities are limited and if you like adventure you'll get bored after a day or two (you need to go on day trips)
- Because it is an international resort chain you pay for everything - wifi, drinking water, kayaks, snorkelling gear, paddle boards etc. A lot of other Fiji resorts provide this for free

Overall there wasn't a lot to fault with the resort itself, but just bear in mind that there are other options if you want to experience Fiji but still have your creature comforts. I would definitely recommend this resort if you want to stay in the area and relax around the pool but if you want more adventure and plan to be in Fiji for more than a few days then get out to the islands.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gavman81
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Bula Gavman,

Thank you for writing us a review. We’re pleased that you and your partner had a great holiday with us and that you enjoyed our resort facilities and service. We’re also delighted that you enjoyed our warm Fijian hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you both to our sunny shores again soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next beachside escape and I will see that the team takes care of you once again.

Area Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
ACT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Leaving freezing Canberra in July, bound for Sigatoka sounded like a great idea to me.
I arrived by the Intercontinental Landcruiser, equipped with cold towels and water, we were given a shell necklace each and a Fijian welcome.
We walked down the length of the Reception to see a lovely sunset and Fijian fire dance presentation. It certainly was the nicest welcome ever.

Our suite was spacious and clean, with all the modern conveniences, FP draw dishwasher and a very noisy icemaker! Moccona instant coffee and plunger coffee too, plenty of milk provided but only four tea cups to drink it from and no powder for the dishwasher or cleaning materials.

My room was dark and very relaxing, with huge sliding wooden doors and a marble bathroom with glassed in toilet and shower areas. I had an external bath along with my daybed, candles not provided.
The suite had its own pool which was cleaned early every morning by the polite and interesting pool man. There are so many pest birds around the resort and they were prolific around the suite and Club House, even bathing on the infinity pool ledge every morning
We loved the golf carts that took us back up the hill after a swim in the ocean, meals and shopping at the tiny market run by local ladies.
Towels were provided free of charge and no questions asked, a very nice touch.
No trouble securing a lounge by the many pools; however I did notice a few towels sitting unattended in some of the more sought after positions (Hawaii like)

A beauty treatment is essential, this is really a beautiful area set aside for luxury treatments - it's not called a Resort and Spa for nothing, it's a Must Do.

Our meals were all delicious, but we loved Navo at sunset.
The Club breakfasts were made to order with the view and service making this a highlight. It also offers High Tea and Cocktails to its guests.

This was a LUXURY holiday that will never be fogotten.

Room Tip: The Natadola Suite has everything for a Private Holiday but beachfront has easy access to most areas...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank janimmo
Dear Janimmo,

Bula vinaka from the warm sunny shores of Natadola Bay! Thank you for choosing InterContinental Fiji for your winter escape. We’re delighted that you had a great family holiday with us and that you enjoyed staying in our luxurious Club InterContinetnal rooms and our warm Fijian hospitality. We’re also pleased that you enjoyed dining at our signature restaurant, Navo, which is certainly a wonderful experience to remember.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise for another luxury escape soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next family holiday and I will see that your family is well looked after.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay here at the Intercontinental - we decided to splurge and get a Club 1 bedroom (without plunge pool) so that our 22month old could sleep in a separate area for his afternoon nap & nighttime sleep. Don't regret the splurge at all!

Firstly, we hired a Private Transfer (Land Cruiser) arranged by the hotel (300FJD one way, yes one way!!) which was pricey but we did not want to have to wait for others to arrive in a shuttle bus. The driver was lovely and presented us with some very cold bottles of water upon arrival. We requested a child seat and it was clean and comfortable for our little one. The trip took 45mins.

We arrived at the hotel and while we were waiting for our buggy up to the Club, the lovely Fijian luggage handler immediately held out his arms to our son for a pick up and he went to him. First time he's ever done that to someone he has just met! They were all so warm and friendly!

The check in at the Club was so quick that we didn't even get to finish our welcome drink as we were whisked away by buggy to our 1bedroom apartment...not a complaint!

The apartment was oversized...more than enough space for 2 adults and a toddler. It had one long dining table, to fit 6 people and the longest built-in sofa I've ever seen! The view from our room wasn't the best, but it wasn't awful either! The water just seemed a long way away!

Both rooms had air-conditioning and a fan. We decided to regulate the lounge room so our toddler could sleep in a perfect temperature for his sleeping bag. We however, opened the doors and used the fan.

We debated for awhile about bringing our stroller, and we decided to leave it at home. Best thing we did! We read another post that residents of the Club get buggys at their request so we went with that option, much to the delight of our toddler who could have ridden the buggys for the entire holiday! I walked from the Main pool up to the Club one day, without the toddler and it took 6 minutes (medium paced walking), carrying my child would have been closer to 10minutes but an easy walk uphill for those who are fit.

We ate at the Sansana one night and thought that was a bit expensive, especially as we are not the type to gorge ourselves at the buffet. We didnt go back after the first night. 90FJD each was a bit much for 1 plate of food!

We chose to eat for free in the Club for breakfast (730-1030am), afternoon tea (330-5pm I think?) and evening canapes (530pm-730pm) which was all magnificent. It was lovely after a morning in the sun and the beach to have high tea by the Club pool. Loads of highchairs in the Club for those with kids.

We ate at Toba Bar & Grill for dinner a few nights....highly recommend you make a reservation the day before if you can. We got turned away one night when we didnt book, even though there was hardly anyone eating at 630pm!! Food was decent enough, however the highlight was Fish & Chips in the Club at lunchtime. The fish was lovely and cooked wonderfully.

Beach was beautiful and quiet most days. Im glad I got my toddler reef shoes as it was a bit hard to walk on the coral sometimes.

We got the shared shuttle bus back to the airport, which was arranged by the hotel (60 FJD per person) which again took 45minutes. I overheard a family saying that they got a taxi to Nadi airport and the taxi driver wouldnt go over 60kms & would not overtake anybody so it took close to 1.5hours for them!!

Other notes which I did not see in other reviews - money! We exchanged about 200 FJD worth which we did use at the convenience store, tips etc but the hotel is a no cash resort. All meals, drinks, ice-creams etc are charged back to your room.
My husband lost his flip flops on the 2nd day we so had to buy some from the resort...Havaianas were 45 FJD - bring a spare pair if you have room!
I brought with us a cheap set of beach toys - bucket, spade etc but you can buy inflatable animals, balls etc all there if you're trying to save on luggage space.
Milk - My son drinks and loves his cows milk, which they do not have...only that long-life stuff. He drank it happily and loads of it stocked in our fridge for free (for Club, not sure about for the other rooms).

Lastly, we had a dry week there so there were no mosquitoes, which made the stay all the more perfect for me!

All the staff were lovely and courteous and would recommend the resort again. My only disappointment was with the cost of food and the variety of food for my fussy little one.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pqtraveller
Dear Pqtraveller,

Bula vinaka from Natadola Bay! Thank you very much for choosing the InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa for having your family holiday. We’re thrilled that you all had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed our premier Club InterContinental facilities and personalized Itokani butler service. We’re also pleased that you enjoyed our warm Fijian hospitality!

It was a pleasure to have your family with us and we would love to welcome you back to our sunny shores again soon. Please do not hesitate to email me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you decide on your next family escape and I will see that the team takes great care of you once more.

Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My fiance, son and I stayed here twice. The first time was Christmas 2013 and again in 2014. The first time we stayed we spent christmas there and had the most wonderful time. The rooms are spacious clean beautifully decorated and modern. The bath on the balcony was an exquisite luxury. We spent alot of time on the balcony as a family playing games and enjoying the spectacular view. Our only complaint about the room is that the beds although comfortable were a bit small in comparison to the 5 star standard king we are used to. We asked for hypo allogeneic pillows because my son and I are asthmatic, these were delivered but removed again after every room clean which became annoying. The staff are friendly and efficient. My fiance proposed to me here on Christmas eve at the private cabana. The staff went out of their way to help him set this most romantic surprise up and tended to his every need even helping him set up an alternative plan to get me down to this private spot without suspicion on my part if his plan did not work. His original plan did work and I was elated as was our little man who was in on it too.
we loved messing about on the beach and sipping cocktails on the luxurious sofa beds while lisyening to the live music an watching the sun set.... spectacular. Family entertainment over the christmas period was fantastic. The fire dancers were by far the best we had seen in our 3 years in fiji. The breakfast was outstanding the selection vast and the quality without fault. We had the buffet lunch for christmas which was nice but our favorite was the food served at the pool bar. On the 3rd night we were moved to an alternative room due to bookings, while this room was an upgrade we did prefer the first room and asked to stay there agsin on our return visit which they obliged. Sometimes we found the atmosphere a bit lacking but what we loved was thst even though the resort was at full capacity it never felt crowded as the area is so vast you can easily find some quiet space. We were disappointed that the family pool was shallow all the way around, it is very hard go swim in such water and is more of a relaxation pool. The adults only pool is again something which grates on us as a family. This far superior pool was so nice to swim and take in the spectacular view but the guilt of our boy not being able to take part in that experience with us was too much to bare for us and so we had one very brief visit as a couple and another brief visit in turn but its just no fun on your own. While we understand that an adult only pool is expected and also an entitlement for couples enjoying a romantic holiday who do not want to contend with children shouting and shoving etc we plead that the resort considers our thoughts regarding the unsatisfactory family pool. Also more activities for children should be provided by the resort so parents can enjoy the adult pool guilt free. Even during the Christmas period this was lacking....
we stayed again in Feb just before we left Fiji for the final time as obviously this resort has a special meaning to us. We already have plans to return every couple of years and would highly recommend the resort to familes and couples alike.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bebhinn3
Dear Bebhinn,

Bula vinaka from our sunny shores! Thank you so much for returning to Natadola Bay for another stay. We’re delighted to read that you had another wonderful stay with us, and that we were part of such an important occasion for you and your fiancé! Congratulations once again on your recent engagement, and we’re also pleased that we were able to surprise you on that special day!

We look forward to welcoming you all back for another stay soon. Please feel free to contact me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you decided on your next travel dates and I will see that you have wonderful stay once more.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I recently celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary in Fiji and spent a week at the Intercontinental.
We arrived early so had lunch at the Sanasana restaurant.
Our room was a garden room close to the admin building. The outdoor area (ground floor) had a lovely day bed and comfortable chair, and, adjacent to this area was a private garden leading to the main pathway. The bed was large and comfortable; there was ample wardrobe space, and in the wardrobe were two umbrellas (yes, it did rain briefly) and an ironing board and iron. The shower, toilet and sinks/make-up mirror etc were more than adequate; bottled water was provided daily.
There are 3 restaurants -
The Navo is a top-of-the-range a la carte restaurant where the food is excellent.
The Sanasana is good for serve-yourself breakfast where the range of food is excellent and the quality OK too. Dinner was fine but the menu somewhat restricted (for me - I am a fussy eater!)
The Tabo grille is OK for dinner, especially if you crave meat! The Tabo bar is excellent - it is situated adjacent to the adult pool and the staff are always ready to serve you drinks as you lounge in one of the chairs.
This is a large hotel complex incorporating a spacious Spa complex which we visited but did not try. It is a fair way from one end to the other but worth exploring, even if only to admire the gardens.
Room service was really good.
Staff greet you with a happy "Bula" all day long; they are the highlight of Fiji.
Visits to the beach were sometimes interrupted by locals trying to sell you massages, horse rides etc.
I highly recommend trips outside the resort - we hired a driver (Joanne in admin will arrange) to take us to Natadola for shopping, to a village where you could watch pottery being hand made, to a hot mud bath village, and to a large and amazing orchid garden started by Raymond Burr (of "Ironside" fame) many years ago. When visiting a village a few packets of sweets for the children are always appreciated.
The first few days of our stay were the best. Then school holidays started and so did the noise from the kids. I know that children should enjoy their holiday too, but in my day our parents did not allow us to inconvenience other people. End of rant.
Probably a great place for families, but we preferred the peace and quiet of our next port of call - a children-free island resort!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frank B
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Frank,

Bula vinaka from the sunny shores of Natadola Bay! Thank you for choosing to celebrate your special occasion with us and we wish you a belated happy 40th wedding anniversary! We’re delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you enjoyed dining at our outlets and that you experienced warm and genuine Fijian hospitality.

Thank you also for highlighting your experience. For your next stay, I highly recommend our Club InterContinental facility which offers privacy, seclusion and unprecedented luxuries to make you stay a truly memorable and intimate one.

We look forward to welcome you back to Natadola Bay again soon. Please contact me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you decide your next visit and I will see that you are well looked after once more.

Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our family has just returned from a very long weekend at this Resort located on the Coral Coast, Sigatoka, 45 minutes from Nadi Airport.

We arrived on sunset, just as the traditional Fijian dancers were putting on their evening ritual.
This was a very special moment in the holiday, I found it breathtaking.

The Resort is large, yet very private and to get around you have the choice of taking a battery powered golf buggy or walking, but as we were staying up on the top of the steep hill, I chose the buggy.
There are plenty of large pools to swim or paddle in or you can select to go down to the stunning coral sand beach with its turquoise water and little fish. Ocean was warmer. The weather was sunny and hot every day, and the evenings were balmy, perfect way to spend a "winter" long weekend.

The service here was first class, particularly in The Club, where Josephine took care of us very well and baby was treated like a little Princess. The view from here was magical, with the breakers crashing on the circular reef in the distance.

We had a nice massage in the stunning Spa, this is highly recommended.

Fijian people love children and this was very much appreciated by our family on our stay, nothing was too much trouble. We tried all the restaurants and they ALL accommodated our little person, even remembering her name day after day.

A sunset boat cruise is a nice end to your holiday, you can see the coral and fish through the glass bottom boat and then watch the sun setting over the ocean.

Sadly I had to leave Sigatoka to return to minus 6 degree temperatures, but I will return - one day.

Room Tip: Club room or Natadola Suite are away from the madding crowds.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Marcothepolopony
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Marco,

Bula and thank you for your review! We’re thrilled that your family had a wonderful holiday with us and that you enjoyed staying in our premier Natadola Suite up at Club InterContinental! We’re also delighted that you experienced our award-winning Spa InterContinental which certainly is an amazing way to spend together with your wife.

It was a delight to have your family with us and we would love to welcome you all back to Natadola Bay again soon. I invite you to email me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next family escape and I will see that you are well looked after once more.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Bula! I typed out a review today that took me an hour and for some reason it didn’t save when I tried to post it, so let’s try again! My husband and I had the pleasure of spending 6 nights at the Intercontinental in July on our first trip to Fiji (and it certainly won’t be our last) From the moment we checked in, to the sad moment we checked out, we were treated to exceptional service and true Fijian friendliness. We arrived at the Intercon by private taxi (lovely guy, have his details for anyone who may be interested for future trips) from Nadi after an overnight flight. He took us via a supermarket so we could pick up bottled water etc. Our room wasn’t ready when we arrived (not surprising as it was 9am) so we decided to have a hot buffet breakfast at Sanasana while we waited. The barista made coffee was great, the food fresh and tasty (we especially liked the freshly squeezed juice and the omelettes from the egg station). We had breakfast at Sanasana every morning of our stay except for the last morning when we ate at Navo (wow, what a view!). A staff member came during breakfast to let us know that our room was ready. We appreciated the gesture, rather than having to chase it up ourselves. Next thing we were in a golf buggy heading up to our bure. We had room 1624 (pool view, upgraded from garden view with my husband’s IHG rewards) For those who say that the resort is a ‘concrete jungle’, I disagree. I loved the balance of the buildings and the greenery. Our room was great. Very spacious and the Cleopatra bath on the balcony with day bed was an added bonus. Great view over the family pool and loved waking to seeing and hearing kids playing in the water. Don’t worry, it wasn’t disruptive, especially with the sliding doors closed. Loved the timber shutters also. Not only do they look great, they are very functional. The bathroom was great, my husband loved the rain shower head. Thank you for introducing us to the Pure Fiji range of toiletries. They are absolutely amazing. I have now become addicted and purchased some duty free and online since being home. My husband may not love my new obsession as much though ;) We didn’t get time to experience a spa treatment, but I heard that they were fabulous, so will definitely plan one on our next visit. I found the pillows to be too soft but a call to the Concierge (Vinaka Jordan!) had two memory foam pillows in our room almost straight away. We had such a wonderful time, I will put in dot points some of the highlights of our time at the Intercontinental.
~Visits to Sanasana Village and to Malomalo Primary School ~ Absolutely life changing experiences for us. Vinaka to Joshaia (Joe) our fabulous guide who gave us a real insight into life in his village and his culture. We will continue to be friends. Thanks also to Suli who took us around Sanasana so we could meet the locals, experience village life and participate in a kava ceremony. We danced and sang and had a great time. We loved it so much that we attended Sunday’s church service that moved us to tears. We have never heard such beautiful voices or felt so welcomed as we did that day. Just beautiful. Malomalo Primary School visit was a real eye opener and gave us a huge insight into Village education of young Fijians. We were taken one on one through the school with an allocated student who showed us their classroom, workbooks, school yard etc and we could ask them questions about the school, their culture, experiences etc. The school relies greatly on donations and contributions from the Intercontinental and from tourists and although we contributed in a financial way, next visit we will make sure that we bring some school supplies. I actually have some things to post shortly. They always require basic things such as stationery, reference materials, games etc. After we played games in the playground, we were lucky enough to be treated to a dancing and singing performance from the school which brought big smiles all round. Vinaka to our guides Paulo, Solomoni (hope you liked the Billabong hat) and Kesi. Vinaka Mr Naivalu and the staff of Malomalo Primary. We feel very privileged to have spent the morning meeting the lovely kids and staff and seeing what a wonderful job they are doing in their quest for a solid education.
~Sigatoka Markets and Kula Eco Park ~ Vinaka to Wise and Sam for taking us around Sigatoka Markets and for helping us get the best prices on our shopping! Loved seeing the street sellers selling their fruit and vegetables. Loved the mandarins! Yum. Vinaka to Miriam (I apologise for the misspelling) for taking us around Kula Eco Park. Thank you for sharing your stories with us. We were very impressed with the facilities and the wildlife on show there. Paul loved holding the snakes and iguanas, whereas I loved taking the photos! The sea turtles were very cool. It was a very educational and enjoyable afternoon.
~Snorkeling~ Paul had a great afternoon snorkeling with guide Victor. I didn’t participate that day as the weather was a bit cool for me but the underwater footage Paul took was excellent.
~Kama Lounge~ Loved happy hour drinks and chips (they were sooo yummy) The fire lighting ceremonies and tribal drumming were highly captivating and entertaining but we loved Tolu Trio the most. Loved their sound and energy and would love to have them in Australia one day ;)
As mentioned before, we had buffet breakfast at Sanasana every morning except for the last morning where we treated ourselves to breakfast at Navo. Was highly worth it for a view like that plus the food was good! Lunch and dinners were mostly at Toba (loved the focaccia and club sandwiches by the pool) We had one issue with a cold meal but it was dealt with straight away and we really appreciated the food and beverage Manager Abraham checking in with us the next day to see if everything was satisfactory. Vinaka Abraham! We had Paul’s birthday dinner at Navo (I was able to organise a cake which was lovely) and we really loved the food and ambience of the restaurant. Loved it so much we had dinner there the next night. We were treated to the staff singing Isa Lei to other guests. Brings me to tears!
We didn’t get to do the Navo Cave tour (it got cancelled twice due to bad weather) so that’s on our list for next time. We really look forward to planning our next visit to Natadola (will bring our daughter) and Vinaka to all the staff that I haven’t named or that we didn’t see (behind the scenes). We will be back :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rachel B
Bula Rachel,

Vinaka vakalevu for your lovely and detailed review! We’re delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed so many aspects of our resort facilities and service! We’re also delighted that you have become friends with so many members of our team, and that you loved our warm and genuine Fijian hospitality.

Thank you also for taking the opportunity to experience our ‘In The Know’ activites which give you memorable cultural experiences to remember for a lifetime. We also really appreciate your kind donation to the children at Malomalo Primary School, and I’m sure they were very happy.

It was a pleasure to have you and Paul with us at Natadola Bay, and I will be sure to forward your lovely feedback onto the team who I’m sure will be delighted to hear from you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise again soon. Please contact me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next holiday and I will see that the team takes great care of you.

Area Director of Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!