“no kids in club lounge area from july 2014 so won't return”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Below is my review. i have just tried to rebook for 2015 but they have told us no more kids under 12 in the club rooms on the hill. VERY DISAPPOINTING! Will have to wait 10 years to return!!

we spent the second half of our week in Fiji at the Intercontinental as a luxury finish to our stay in Fiji. We stayed in a 2 bed pool suite on top of the hill in club land. when we arrived we were greeted with cool drinks and were told that room would not be available till 2 pm which was fair enough (we arrived at 12pm) . we left our bags and took our family of 3 kids 6,3,2 down to pool area via a buggy and had some lunch. when we got back at 2pm the room was still not ready but finally we got a room by 3pm. for a plunge pool suite it was very dark with no sun on pool so we requested a move. this was not possible till next day and whilst disappointed, we were impressed that the American manager came to our room to explain the situation and do what she could to move us. very courteous and professional.
The rest of our trip was fabulous including the glass bottom boat trip a few hundred metres off the shore on the last morning. food in club lounge breakfasts was excellent but they were a bit strict on kids even though ours were not noisy...yes really.
we would like to return next year in April but think an upstairs apartment with a view might be a better than the pool villas on the lower level as you don't use the pool much as it is so small and cold.
the rooms are enormous and very comfortable. the quality is as you would expect at Intercontinental and above other hotels we have stayed on in Denaru.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a pool that faces the water in club area
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank craiguirguis
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Bula Craiguirguis,

Thank you for your feedback. Whilst our Club InterContinental facilities are now offered exclusively to guests aged 12 and above, we do offer other alternatives for families such as inter-connecting room configurations at the main resort. These rooms are also closer to other resort facilities such as our family pool and our Planet Trekkers kids club which offers a plethora of activities such as hermit crab races for children to enjoy.

We would love to welcome your family back for another stay. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next trip and I will see that you are well looked after.

Area Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (2,796)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 10 nights in July (not during school holidays) after friends' recommendation and not far to travel with 2 kids one being 6 months old.
We travel a lot and stay in 5 stars resorts but this resort definitely doesn't hold itself to 5 stars.
Pros
- Nanny - our nanny was the best part of the holidays. We have never left my kids with anyone except my mum and was worried too leave them in someones care I hardly know. We were recommended nanny called Milinia Tuitavuki (they call her Milly single) and from the first meeting I had good feeling about her. She is a beautiful caring lady and looked after our baby perfectly. Me and my husband could spend some time together with no worry.
- Food - was delicious, their chefs are mainly Indians and are supervised by Australian executive chefs. The indian cuisine was delicious and actually every meal we ordered was done beautifully.
- Staff - was amazing, Fijian people are lovely, friendly and happy even though they have so little (we tipped heavily).
Cons
- Housekeeping - the rooms were not cleaned properly, I don't think our shower was cleaned during our stay.
- Spa - was big disappointment. The showers were so dirty. At 5.30pm I had a treatment booked and went to steam room beforehand. The steam room stank so much I wasn't able to stay there and had to leave. If you want to relax with the pedicure & manicure treatment forget about it. You will sit on the small rotating chair with no back support. Here in Sydney I get better nail service by cheap Asian ladies.
- Kids pool - I was amazed to learn that the pool wasn't heated. Because we went in July the weather was not as hot and the pool was cold. You could hardly see children in it. I would suspect that 5 star hotel has facilities to heat the pool especially for kids. So there was no swimming for our kids.
- Main Sanasana restaurant - it is not big enough to cater for so many people/such a big resort. The restaurant was busy, noisy, screaming kids everywhere.
- Adult pool only - The pool was nice overlooking the beautiful beach (bring special shoes to get into the water as it's full of corals/shells everywhere and not pleasant to walk on). During weekend groups of people came for wedding. They also visited the adult pool and were extremely noisy and smoking. No one from the staff reminded them that it is adult pool only and they should watch their behaviour.

We will definitely not come back. If we pay money for 5 star resort, we also expect 5 star treatment and this resort definitely didn't give it to us. It was actually very disappointing holidays.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TravellerwFamily

Bula TravelerwithFamily,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased that you enjoyed dining at our F&B outlets and nanny service and will be sure to forward your feedback to Milly, who will be thrilled to hear from you.

Thank you also for highlighting your experience with our resort facilities. Please be assured that your feedback is invaluable and has been forwarded to our Executive Housekeeper and Spa Manager for their immediate attention. This is not reflective of our usual high quality standards and certainly not a true InterContinental Fiji experience.

We hope to welcome you back for a true InterContinental Fiji experience. Please do let me know on Kamal Haer if you decide to return and I will see that you are well taken care of.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had the most amazing stay at the Intercontinental Fiji, the resort was amazing from the rooms to the restaurants and all around the resort. The resort is well looked after and very neat. There are so many choices for food and activities. We were lucky and went on the local school tour which is a must do when staying here. I highly recommend this resort to anyone travelling to Fiji looking for a relaxing time. The staff are just beautiful and always so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Bula Alana,

Thank you for your short and lovely feedback. We’re delighted that your family had a wonderful holiday with us and that you enjoyed our warm Fijian hospitality. We’re also pleased that you took the opportunity to meet the children at Malomalo Primary and interact with them and experience a Fijian school life.

We look forward to welcome you back to our sunny shores again soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you are planning your next trip and I will see that you are well looked after once more.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed three nights here at the end of a 10 day Fiji holiday in a Pool View room.

Positives:
- The rooms are beautiful - spacious and well furnished.
- The resort itself is huge, but never felt too overcrowded.
- There are numerous food and bar options, the service is good and the food is quite good considering how many people they feed!
- Staff were very friendly and accommodating

Negatives:
- Food was good, but given that there are limited local options it may get boring after a while (mainly for lunch). This is no fault of the hotel, just given the remote location.
- The location is nice, but doesn't compare to the islands for things to do around the resort. Snorkelling is not great and the reef dries out on low tide. Activities are limited and if you like adventure you'll get bored after a day or two (you need to go on day trips)
- Because it is an international resort chain you pay for everything - wifi, drinking water, kayaks, snorkelling gear, paddle boards etc. A lot of other Fiji resorts provide this for free

Overall there wasn't a lot to fault with the resort itself, but just bear in mind that there are other options if you want to experience Fiji but still have your creature comforts. I would definitely recommend this resort if you want to stay in the area and relax around the pool but if you want more adventure and plan to be in Fiji for more than a few days then get out to the islands.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gavman81
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Bula Gavman,

Thank you for writing us a review. We’re pleased that you and your partner had a great holiday with us and that you enjoyed our resort facilities and service. We’re also delighted that you enjoyed our warm Fijian hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you both to our sunny shores again soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next beachside escape and I will see that the team takes care of you once again.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Leaving freezing Canberra in July, bound for Sigatoka sounded like a great idea to me.
I arrived by the Intercontinental Landcruiser, equipped with cold towels and water, we were given a shell necklace each and a Fijian welcome.
We walked down the length of the Reception to see a lovely sunset and Fijian fire dance presentation. It certainly was the nicest welcome ever.

Our suite was spacious and clean, with all the modern conveniences, FP draw dishwasher and a very noisy icemaker! Moccona instant coffee and plunger coffee too, plenty of milk provided but only four tea cups to drink it from and no powder for the dishwasher or cleaning materials.

My room was dark and very relaxing, with huge sliding wooden doors and a marble bathroom with glassed in toilet and shower areas. I had an external bath along with my daybed, candles not provided.
The suite had its own pool which was cleaned early every morning by the polite and interesting pool man. There are so many pest birds around the resort and they were prolific around the suite and Club House, even bathing on the infinity pool ledge every morning
We loved the golf carts that took us back up the hill after a swim in the ocean, meals and shopping at the tiny market run by local ladies.
Towels were provided free of charge and no questions asked, a very nice touch.
No trouble securing a lounge by the many pools; however I did notice a few towels sitting unattended in some of the more sought after positions (Hawaii like)

A beauty treatment is essential, this is really a beautiful area set aside for luxury treatments - it's not called a Resort and Spa for nothing, it's a Must Do.

Our meals were all delicious, but we loved Navo at sunset.
The Club breakfasts were made to order with the view and service making this a highlight. It also offers High Tea and Cocktails to its guests.

This was a LUXURY holiday that will never be fogotten.

Room Tip: The Natadola Suite has everything for a Private Holiday but beachfront has easy access to most areas...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank janimmo

Dear Janimmo,

Bula vinaka from the warm sunny shores of Natadola Bay! Thank you for choosing InterContinental Fiji for your winter escape. We’re delighted that you had a great family holiday with us and that you enjoyed staying in our luxurious Club InterContinetnal rooms and our warm Fijian hospitality. We’re also pleased that you enjoyed dining at our signature restaurant, Navo, which is certainly a wonderful experience to remember.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise for another luxury escape soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next family holiday and I will see that your family is well looked after.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay here at the Intercontinental - we decided to splurge and get a Club 1 bedroom (without plunge pool) so that our 22month old could sleep in a separate area for his afternoon nap & nighttime sleep. Don't regret the splurge at all!

Firstly, we hired a Private Transfer (Land Cruiser) arranged by the hotel (300FJD one way, yes one way!!) which was pricey but we did not want to have to wait for others to arrive in a shuttle bus. The driver was lovely and presented us with some very cold bottles of water upon arrival. We requested a child seat and it was clean and comfortable for our little one. The trip took 45mins.

We arrived at the hotel and while we were waiting for our buggy up to the Club, the lovely Fijian luggage handler immediately held out his arms to our son for a pick up and he went to him. First time he's ever done that to someone he has just met! They were all so warm and friendly!

The check in at the Club was so quick that we didn't even get to finish our welcome drink as we were whisked away by buggy to our 1bedroom apartment...not a complaint!

The apartment was oversized...more than enough space for 2 adults and a toddler. It had one long dining table, to fit 6 people and the longest built-in sofa I've ever seen! The view from our room wasn't the best, but it wasn't awful either! The water just seemed a long way away!

Both rooms had air-conditioning and a fan. We decided to regulate the lounge room so our toddler could sleep in a perfect temperature for his sleeping bag. We however, opened the doors and used the fan.

We debated for awhile about bringing our stroller, and we decided to leave it at home. Best thing we did! We read another post that residents of the Club get buggys at their request so we went with that option, much to the delight of our toddler who could have ridden the buggys for the entire holiday! I walked from the Main pool up to the Club one day, without the toddler and it took 6 minutes (medium paced walking), carrying my child would have been closer to 10minutes but an easy walk uphill for those who are fit.

We ate at the Sansana one night and thought that was a bit expensive, especially as we are not the type to gorge ourselves at the buffet. We didnt go back after the first night. 90FJD each was a bit much for 1 plate of food!

We chose to eat for free in the Club for breakfast (730-1030am), afternoon tea (330-5pm I think?) and evening canapes (530pm-730pm) which was all magnificent. It was lovely after a morning in the sun and the beach to have high tea by the Club pool. Loads of highchairs in the Club for those with kids.

We ate at Toba Bar & Grill for dinner a few nights....highly recommend you make a reservation the day before if you can. We got turned away one night when we didnt book, even though there was hardly anyone eating at 630pm!! Food was decent enough, however the highlight was Fish & Chips in the Club at lunchtime. The fish was lovely and cooked wonderfully.

Beach was beautiful and quiet most days. Im glad I got my toddler reef shoes as it was a bit hard to walk on the coral sometimes.

We got the shared shuttle bus back to the airport, which was arranged by the hotel (60 FJD per person) which again took 45minutes. I overheard a family saying that they got a taxi to Nadi airport and the taxi driver wouldnt go over 60kms & would not overtake anybody so it took close to 1.5hours for them!!

Other notes which I did not see in other reviews - money! We exchanged about 200 FJD worth which we did use at the convenience store, tips etc but the hotel is a no cash resort. All meals, drinks, ice-creams etc are charged back to your room.
My husband lost his flip flops on the 2nd day we so had to buy some from the resort...Havaianas were 45 FJD - bring a spare pair if you have room!
I brought with us a cheap set of beach toys - bucket, spade etc but you can buy inflatable animals, balls etc all there if you're trying to save on luggage space.
Milk - My son drinks and loves his cows milk, which they do not have...only that long-life stuff. He drank it happily and loads of it stocked in our fridge for free (for Club, not sure about for the other rooms).

Lastly, we had a dry week there so there were no mosquitoes, which made the stay all the more perfect for me!

All the staff were lovely and courteous and would recommend the resort again. My only disappointment was with the cost of food and the variety of food for my fussy little one.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pqtraveller

Dear Pqtraveller,

Bula vinaka from Natadola Bay! Thank you very much for choosing the InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa for having your family holiday. We’re thrilled that you all had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed our premier Club InterContinental facilities and personalized Itokani butler service. We’re also pleased that you enjoyed our warm Fijian hospitality!

It was a pleasure to have your family with us and we would love to welcome you back to our sunny shores again soon. Please do not hesitate to email me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you decide on your next family escape and I will see that the team takes great care of you once more.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My fiance, son and I stayed here twice. The first time was Christmas 2013 and again in 2014. The first time we stayed we spent christmas there and had the most wonderful time. The rooms are spacious clean beautifully decorated and modern. The bath on the balcony was an exquisite luxury. We spent alot of time on the balcony as a family playing games and enjoying the spectacular view. Our only complaint about the room is that the beds although comfortable were a bit small in comparison to the 5 star standard king we are used to. We asked for hypo allogeneic pillows because my son and I are asthmatic, these were delivered but removed again after every room clean which became annoying. The staff are friendly and efficient. My fiance proposed to me here on Christmas eve at the private cabana. The staff went out of their way to help him set this most romantic surprise up and tended to his every need even helping him set up an alternative plan to get me down to this private spot without suspicion on my part if his plan did not work. His original plan did work and I was elated as was our little man who was in on it too.
we loved messing about on the beach and sipping cocktails on the luxurious sofa beds while lisyening to the live music an watching the sun set.... spectacular. Family entertainment over the christmas period was fantastic. The fire dancers were by far the best we had seen in our 3 years in fiji. The breakfast was outstanding the selection vast and the quality without fault. We had the buffet lunch for christmas which was nice but our favorite was the food served at the pool bar. On the 3rd night we were moved to an alternative room due to bookings, while this room was an upgrade we did prefer the first room and asked to stay there agsin on our return visit which they obliged. Sometimes we found the atmosphere a bit lacking but what we loved was thst even though the resort was at full capacity it never felt crowded as the area is so vast you can easily find some quiet space. We were disappointed that the family pool was shallow all the way around, it is very hard go swim in such water and is more of a relaxation pool. The adults only pool is again something which grates on us as a family. This far superior pool was so nice to swim and take in the spectacular view but the guilt of our boy not being able to take part in that experience with us was too much to bare for us and so we had one very brief visit as a couple and another brief visit in turn but its just no fun on your own. While we understand that an adult only pool is expected and also an entitlement for couples enjoying a romantic holiday who do not want to contend with children shouting and shoving etc we plead that the resort considers our thoughts regarding the unsatisfactory family pool. Also more activities for children should be provided by the resort so parents can enjoy the adult pool guilt free. Even during the Christmas period this was lacking....
we stayed again in Feb just before we left Fiji for the final time as obviously this resort has a special meaning to us. We already have plans to return every couple of years and would highly recommend the resort to familes and couples alike.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bebhinn3

Dear Bebhinn,

Bula vinaka from our sunny shores! Thank you so much for returning to Natadola Bay for another stay. We’re delighted to read that you had another wonderful stay with us, and that we were part of such an important occasion for you and your fiancé! Congratulations once again on your recent engagement, and we’re also pleased that we were able to surprise you on that special day!

We look forward to welcoming you all back for another stay soon. Please feel free to contact me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you decided on your next travel dates and I will see that you have wonderful stay once more.

Area Director of Sales & Marketing

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
16 mi away
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!