“Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
NZ
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 14 September 2009

I had heard about this resort and absolutely wanted to stay there. I booked in for a couple of nights with the sole purpose of looking at it for our wedding. I was not disappointed with the design and form of the buildings - it really is a beautiful hotel.

The service is still in need of improvement. It could took us about an hour to check in. After the trip to get there it seemed far too long to get us to our room when we were the only ones checking in at the time. The staff are friendly - just not efficient.

We were interested in holding our wedding at this beautiful location. After our stay and the service (and lack of) since, we have been highly disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pacific_peregrino
Fiji_Staff, Sales Coordinator (sanjeshni.nand@ihg.com) at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 October 2009
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that we kept you waiting upon check in. I am unsure why this was the case.

I hope to be able to welcome you back.

Neil Houghton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland, NZ
Reviewed 13 September 2009

The Intercontinental is a very nice "in between" option if you are looking for a gorgeous resort with a white sandy beach. My husband and I have just stayed 7 nights and we loved it (although my husband was ready to leave after day 5 as he gets bored very quickly)!

Rooms:
We stayed in block (bure) 22 in a beach front king room and were very happy with both the room and position within the resort (although we had specifically requested to be in block 12 so we could stay next to friends). The rooms are beautifully appointed and we enjoyed the outdoor bath every night - this is a lovely feature which I highly recommend (we grabbed an ice bucket and enjoyed our champagne). When I say grabbed, I mean literally...if you request something through concierge it takes them time to arrange it (Fiji time), if ever, so I saw one outside our room in the "cleaners cupboard" and helped myself, along with some champagne flutes - when the cleaner saw what I was doing she offered to clean the glasses and couldn't have been more helpful. The housekeeping ladies do a fine job (if not the cleanest) and are soooo lovely. On our first day they didn't clean the room until 5pm (when we were trying to get ready for dinner) so we just let her change the towels and make the bed and flag the rest - she was nearly in tears with gratitude and I noticed that our room was cleaned every morning after that whilst we were at breakfast so no problem!

Pools/Beach
The water was a bit cold unfortunately due to very high winds and we spent most of our time around the adults only pool. The steps going into the pool are def a health and safety issue as nearly everyone falls over (but you only do it once). The service around the pool was great and the cool towels very welcome. We asked if we could drink our own drinks around the pool and they didn't mind - in fact they gave us an ice bucket and some plastic glasses! I assume this will change as the resort gets established but in the meanwhile enjoy your duty free savings. We didn't have any issues with children in the pool at all. There were a few occasions where some kids tried it on but were told very quickly by staff to get out. I noticed the sun loungers around the kids pool area had no squabs which made them uncomfortable to sit on.
A hint - if you want to use one of the cane daybeds around the pool - put things on them the night before! We were there a week and tried everyday to use one but they were all nabbed by 9am (no bodies on them just belongings whilst they had their breakfast no doubt).
The beach is a picture postcard to look at but swimming is a bit of a mission due to it being so tidal, cold and coral bottom. Friends went out on the snorkelling boat for a few hours and said the snorkelling and diving was great a bit further out. We had other friends that took their kids out on the biscuit behind the boat and this was great fun.

Restaurants
We had an inclusive price for breakfast with our room rate so breakfasts were good value. We enjoyed the Fijian theme buffet at Sanasana one night which was Indian curries and the food was excellent, though not great value if you are a small eater. The poolside dining made great salads, ok pizzas and others said the ribs were the best! If you want something that's not on the menu just ask - we had some curries brought down from Sanasana for lunch and this was no trouble.
We dined at Navo quite a bit in the evening and loved the steak, pork, sashimi. I was a little disappointed with the seafood selection, no crayfish any of the nights we stayed. I had the snapper which was very overcooked. Instead try the Paki Paki which is a local fish and cooked in breadcrumbs and much nicer. And the after dinner chocolate mint in a shot glass...mmm good.
We went to the Golf Club for lunch which was ok (very limited wine list, but the beef thai salad was good). My husband did 9 holes with the house golf pro and he rates himself an ok golfer but thought the course was very challenging (that's probably a good thing?) It's a complimentary shuttle up to the course from the hotel so worth a look anyway.
The vodka bar makes a mean vodka cocktail and the setting is very glam - they had a live band one night which kinda turned into karaoke for our group - a good night was had by all! Tip - if you order room service don't bother with reception - just order it yourself from the restaurant and ask the restaurant staff to deliver for you - you save on the delivery fee and you get exactly what you asked for with no hassle (this is probably not the point of room service but it worked well for us)

Spa/Facilities
We had a spa treatment in a couples room which was very romantic and the wet area steam room is great - you can use this facility for $25 without a treatment (which are a bit pricey) but the service is very good. Gym was everything you need and managed to use it once. Shame that the water sports equipment is charged as an extra, otherwise we would have done some snorkelling and waveskiing.

Summary
A quick trip from the airport (only 50 minutes) and you have everything you need in a resort. Probably the personal relaxed Fijian style is missing a bit as the staff look a bit harrassed. Overall I would say the service, food and facilities is of a high standard. Although we had a good discount as we were part of a large group booking so our value for money was perhaps better than others. I talked to some Australians about their meal plan deals (which I don't think are available to NZers) and these look like great value. Would I be back? Yes definately if there some special deals!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NZCurlyGirly
Fiji_Staff, Sales Coordinator (sanjeshni.nand@ihg.com) at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 September 2009
Thank you very much for your detailed assessment. I will share this with the team for some fine tuning.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Victoria
Reviewed 13 September 2009

This was our 5th time in Fiji. We chose the Intercontinental as we saw it being built on our last trip. On arrival we were greeted with cold towels and juice and friendly smiles "Bula" after leaving Melbourne at 11.30pm. The walk to reception is outstanding and no fuss check in. We were taken to our room by a smiling Fijian in a golf cart with out luggage and after unloading our luggage he explained all the facilities in our room left us to unpack and relax.
We were not disappointed at all. The room was to die for!!! We had a King garden view room, ground level which was close to the family pool and the Toba Bar and Grill. The room had more space than we imagined, tastefully decorated with a plasma tv, cleopatra bath (which they all have) and a private landing.
Eating- We had breakfast included ( which I would recommend) and if you can't find something to suit you must be very hard to please.
We ate at the Toba twice of an evening and twice at the buffet and couldn't fault either, the food was great.
There is a small convenience store which sells some gifts, but has beer, soft drink and a few essentials. These are still at resort prices, so if this is not in your budget bring some items from home. There is another store which sells souviners and clothing.
As this was a short trip we didnt see the golf course, but we did walk along the beach and met some locals selling shells etc and bought from them instead.
The lagoon is just another part of this great resort.
The resort has a lot to offer for couples and families and do their best to accomodate both. With an adults only infinity pool and separate eating at the buffet.
The staff are all wonderful, nothing is too much trouble. Just remember part of holidaying in Fiji, is "Fiji Time", go with the flow and relax.

This was a great r&r trip for us, and we hope to visit here again.

Thanks to all the staff!!!!

2 Thank ozzy4
Thank you for your lovely comments. Hope to see you soon.

Wellington
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Absolutely fantastic. I too had read reviews with some concerns, although decided to go with an open mind and remember that this is Fiji. We had the best stay in a first class hotel. The resort, staff AND food far exceeded our expectations. From the first moment you arrive to your final departure, all staff went out of their way to assist us during our stay. Our room was upstairs on the beach front with spectacular views. One of my favourite things was the bath on the balcony which overlooks the beach. We ate at all 3 restaurants, Navo is the most expensive to eat at but also the best food and has a wonderful romantic feel to it overlooking the lagoon. The buffet meals were also excellent with a great variety, each night having a different theme. The nights we didn't feel like a big meal we ate at the Bar/Grill by the pool where you could buy yummy pizzas or have a lighter meal and also very reasonably priced. Adults pool was awesome (and I only saw 3 older kids in the pool very briefly). The Spa Treatment is another "must do", my first ever facial and my husband told me I looked 10 years younger! Worth every penny! They don't however have any washing machines to use but they do offer laundry pick up, (which is a positive when you don't have to do any washing!).They have a good selection of DVDs that are "free" from the hotel. Golf course is beautiful. I cant wait to go back.

2 Thank NarnaWellington
Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We have been fortunate enough to stay at a number of "5 star" resorts throught SE Asia & the Pacific, including many other Intercontinental properties. Unfortunately, at this stage (some six months after opening) this resort is not up to the standard that they promote - and charge for.
The choices for food are extremely limited, with the associated costs way out of alignment with the quality of either choice or quality. It is nice, but nowhere near what you are being charged for.
Essentially, there is the Buffet restaurant (Sanasana) where you are likely to have your breakfast (FJD$49 pp) and as such, are less likely to want to also have your breakfast and dinner at. Then there is the 'fine dining reataurant (Navo) which you are likely to only visit once or twice during your stay - quite expensive. Leaving only the pool bar / restaurant for everything else. This menu is limited in choices and serves almost everything with chips (fries).
During our 10 day stay, we probably averaged per day FJD$100 for breakfast + FJD$80 for lunch + FJD$280 for dinner, or a total of FJD$460 !!! add this to your room rate and it starts to add up.
When you are paying this much, you don't want to be waiting almost an hour and a half for a main in their find dining restaurant either.
As for watersports, this is outsourced and nothing is included in your stay. Even the kyaks (which are included at no charge in most 5 star places) are rented out.
There is no complimentary internet for guests.
Expect to get stiched up at every turn.
My reccomendation is that this place needs another 12 months or so of trading to listen to guest feedback, train their staff in the art of customer service and reprice everything according to the alternatives in Fiji.
For now, this is a lovely resort, but simply not worth the cost when there are so many other 5 star resorts who are fighting for your business.

2 Thank dan1255
Thank you for your remarks and for your recent custom. I am sorry you felt our F&B pricing was on the high side. I know that we sit mid table against other resorts in Fiji on all our F&B pricing. The cost of importation and duty is not insignificant and so our pricing does reflect this.

We are constantly working on our customer service and speed of delivery – so I value your comments here and we have just increased our pool bar by 3 specials (pizza, salad and sandwich) per day offering 21 new dishes to choose from each week.

I hope you will enjoy the changes when you next return to Fiji to stay with us.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 September 2009

After staying maybe two too many nights at a small island hotel we were getting a little bored and restless - the service, accomodations, the variety and the breathtaking beach at the InterContinental was superb. It's about an hours cab ride, or $US 40, to this resort, and on the way you feel like you may be getting lost. This location, Natadola beach is far better than what our friends said they found in terms of a rocky beach on the Coral Coast where the mega resorts are lined.

Food was excellent, value was out of this world (we must have got a deal), rooms were stunning and very technology savvy, we loved the whirlpool on the deck! My husband couldn't stop commenting on how much he appreciated the clean, modern architectual design of the compound. The veiw from the adult infinity pool overlooking the pristine beach provided a few of the best sunsets we'd ever seen. The high end restaurant, Navo, had excellent food, views, decor and service, we were thrilled compared to the food we had on our island resort. Also, excellent value. The bruch buffet was killer providing anything and everything you could ask for included in your room cost. The spa was very lovely, though it seemed over priced compared to the value you were getting elsewhere at the resort.

We couldn't have been more pleased with this resort and only hope to one day go back. Oh, my husband wished he would have had time to golf, we heard the course was world class.

2 Thank Katie B
Thank you for your lovely comments. I hope to be able to welcome you back to enjoy the resort and the golf course.

Dorset
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We stayed in a beach front ground floor room for 7 nights on our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. The attention to detail at this resort is superb, everything from providing a torch and umbrella in your wardrobe, to tea lights for a romantic bath, to cold face towels at the pool, just to mention a few.

The only issue I would have is with the "openness" of the resort. Unfortunately, for us, the resort is situated on a public beach. On our second night we were woken by a sound outside our room at 4.00am, and to our horror the screen doors started opening. There in the doorway was the shadow of a man about to enter our room. Realizing this wasn't a figmant of my imagination I shouted at him, which fortunately was enough to do the job as he turned and ran. I called security, who I must say were absolutely fantastic, and they turned up before I had even managed to get my trousers on.

Apparently the wooden sliding screen doors can be locked with a latch at the bottom, however, we were not shown this, and nor were the 2 other couples we spoke with in our Bure. I'm sure this was a one off, and just a bit of oportunism from some passing villager, but please don't make the same mistake we did - lock your screen door, or else at least the patio door, and don't just pull the curtain accross.

Having said all this we were blown away by how good this resort is and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DorsetRuss
Thank you for your kind comments, I know the team will be pleased they made a difference to your stay. I have taken the necessary steps internally regarding the securing of wooden screen doors, and indeed with the local landowners to ensure guest privacy and security is not compromised.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Neil Houghton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,001 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!