We had one of our best family holidays ever at the Fiji Intercontinental and I would credit this to the great location, super-friendly staff and variety of activities on offer. This has to be the best option on the mainland.
Our beachfront suite was great (although would probably go for a groundfloor suite next time as this provides direct access to the beach. Privacy is better on the first floor though).
You are guaranteed not to get bored as there are activities galore...you have to try a few of the watersports to truly appreciate the beautiful ocean.
The food was average (but keep in mind that most of it is imported) and as other reviewers have noted, the breakfast offering can be a bit better. I also thought they needed more staff on the hot food stations...there was quite a wait for poached eggs for example. Order your coffee as you take your seat as the waiting time can be extensive. We also struck tables without all the necessary cutlery (missing spoons, knives) on a couple of mornings. The themed dinners at Sanasana restaurant make for a welcome change in the daily menu. We were impressed with the lunch at the poolside restaurant, particularly the pizzas! Waiting staff's service around the pool area can be improved - we'd spent roughly 6 hours at the pool every day for six days (yes - the kid's pool is that great!) and with the exception of 2 times, had to go and hunt down the waiting staff ourselves.
The gym is adequate with 3 treadmills, a couple of bikes and some weights. It isn't a big area and so gets crowded relatively quickly so try and avoid the morning rush (mid-afternoons were perfect).
Kids Club - take the listed daily activities as a rough guide only. Depending on the number of kids enrolled they do alter this somewhat. If there is an activity you particularly want your child to participate in make sure you bring it to the attention of the staff. I was somewhat dissapointed when I picked my daughter up to hear that they have watched a couple of DVDs (which wasn't listed as an activity on any of the days) as this is something they can do staying home. It is my opinion that you pay to enrol your child to be entertained by the staff themselves...
We found the hotel's private airport transfer option from the airport perfect. Ask to have Panto Singh as your driver - he is a wonderful tour guide as well!
Finally, we would have appreciated firm management feedback as to the tsunami threat to guests on the morning of the Samoa earthquake. We were alerted by family in NZ first thing in the morning after which we rang hotel reception and the concierge - both of whom couldn't give us any information on the likely threat to Fiji. At least the concierge said she will make contact with the Fiji weather service. If staff were well briefed by senior management they could have provided a comforting message to guests. It doesn't take much for a massive panic to set in and this can be averted by guests feeling confident that management is monitoring the situation and being clear as to the process if the threat is real. This may be something management wish to take on board?
All in all, I would recommend the Fiji Intercontinental as well worth going to. We are already looking at booking our next stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa is located on the beautiful and picturesque Natadola Beach on Fiji's main island of Viti Levu. Relax on palm-fringed white sand beach or swim or snorkel in rolling surf to experience natural Fijian ambiance. The resort offers breathtaking 360-degree views of Natadola Bay and exotic landscaped gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Fiji Golf Hotel Sigatoka
- Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort And Spa
- Intercontinental Coral Coast
- Intercontinental Fiji Hotel
- InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa Sigatoka