“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
ottawa
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

We CAN’T believe how ANYONE can complain about this amazing resort(including that review from Brisbane written in such detail that you wonder if the reviewer had the sole purpose of bringing down the house). Anyways, after spending the previous week in a kid-infested resort, we were glad to arrive at the Intercontinental and discover that there actually was an adult-only pool (do expect, however, the occasional kids coming from the very near kiddie pool to talk totheir parents at the adults-only pool). The adult pool is of the infinity type, gorgeous and very relaxing, with Zen-like music playing most of the time ... The whole place was so quiet (though full) and had a nice, relaxing New Age vibe to it. The ultimate experience to be had, was a massage in their uber-modern spa ! And just when you think it can't get any better than this, you have a meal at the Navo restaurant and it's heaven on earth (Cloud Nine being reached in my case with their chocolat decadence dessert !! Yum ! ) We'd strongly recommend couples who want more intimacy, (like us) to get the fantastic beachfront deluxe room right next to the Navo restaurant : great sunset views,right on the beach in front of the sandbar at low tide, falling asleep to the sound of the ocean tide (thanks to those huge wooden doors with their screen-protected openings), far from kids, etc ... Clem's only beef : there are 2 TV screens (one in the living room, the other one in the bedroom) BUT you can only play the rented DVDs in the living room (whose furniture is definitely not as comfortable as the fantastic King size bed ... Ah well ! ;) The food at Navo restaurant was above 5 star quality, and our waiter Eddy (formerly from Likuliku Lagoon Resort) had the GREATEST smile to be found in Fiji… our favorite!! What a loss for Likuliku….and they miss him there (we went there later on and everyone knew him when we spoke of him!). Nat has to add that we experienced nothing but the best in service and hospitality here and the upkeep and cleanliness of the resort and grounds was impeccable.The best beach in Fiji, great snorkeling from the beach with soft sand, and surprisingly uncrowded. We attended a Meke (Polynesian-style) one evening and for the price it was very “ordinary” and we regretted missing a chance to dine at Navo’s. We will definitely return to Fiji in the next few years and the Intercontinental Resort and Spa will be our first stayover for sure. Without a doubt our favorite over Warwick, Sheraton, and ever-so-slightly Likuliku Lagoon Resort and Spa (which was excellent as well but the beach is the determining factor in this case). The food at Likuliku was excellent all the time where as at the Intercontinental only the Navo was hors pair; the other restaurants were just good. So imagine how good the food was at Liku liku….. the BEST!

In general, Fijians are the nicest people we have encountered on our many travels around the world. There is no $ smile… it’s all genuine! We love Fiji

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Natandclem
Fiji_Staff, Sales Coordinator (sanjeshni.nand@ihg.com) at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 January 2010
Thank you very much for your kind remarks.

Neil Houghton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Gosford NSW Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

Let me start my review by getting the obvious out of the way. The Intercontinetal is a beautiful looking Hotel with beautifully appointed rooms, wonderful amentiies and a postcard like outlook - None of these points are in dispute.
Does it however provide a great place to stay with a wonderful experience & Fijian feel - Answer NO.
In fact never in my time in the islands (7 trips in recent years) have I felt further away from Fiji. In fact the only thing Fijian about the whole place is the standard casual (meaning slow & lax) level of service. Now I am pretty happy with this sort of service out on the Islands in the 'barefoot' casual (and cheaper) enviroment there, however when I am being robbed at every turn for food, drinks etc and paying 5 star prices well I expect slightly better than 2 star service.
One big problem you have here is the dining options which are only 3. This you can get away with at Denarau as you gave a multitude of other resorts as well as the Port for alternative dining, but at the Intercontinental other than a dirty little resort 200 metres down the road you only have what they offer. These are, a Pool Bar & Grill, a buffet or a high end restaurant. None are cheap and while the food is good there needs to be an alternative mid range dining option perhaps like a steakhouse or similiar particularly for families with Teenagers. I am not a buffet person, so outside of this you either sit at the pool (not great when it is windy and rainy like when we were there) or go to Navo the signature restaurant which while tremendous cost my wife and I $400FJD for two. This is something the resort needs to address.
The bars particularly Kama, are spectacular, but pricey and you could be sitting in a chic bar in Paris or somewhere thats how much of a Fijian feel it had about it. Not sure about you but I go to Fiji to feel like I am in Fiji - otherwise I would fly to Paris, but hey maybe thats just me.
The check process was inefficient. I still can't work out why at so many hotels where check in is 2pm they can't get you into a room until 4pm - but then if you check out half an hour late they wish to whack you straight away. Surely when you pay you effectively 'lease' that room from 2pm until usually 11am the next day - therefore they should be reducing the tariff for each half hour they use 'your' room. I have decided in future once I sign the registration if they then say I can't have my room I am going to demand they sub lease it back off me at $500 an hour as I now own it until it is ready. I'm guessing I will be in a room from 2pm for the rest of my life if I do it!
The other problem is there is little for Teenagers to do if the weather is inclement which it can be on this side of the Island. Yes they do have a kids club with a few computers but is it that difficult to put aside an area with a couple of table tennis & pool tables for example. Its the little things that go along way.
The golf course is equally spectacular but in reality to enjoy it other than for the scenery you need to be a single marker as if you are above that make sure you allow plenty of time to find your ball.
Overall as I stated it is a magnificently appointed, large international hotel which is about as Fijian as the pyramids. For this reason and some of the others listed above I wouldn't return.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tricolours
Thank you for your custom, I wish you luck in your search for holiday happiness.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2009

I'll try and offer a single review that sums up what you can truely expect. Before arriving I read a lot of the good and bad reviews. After spending a week at the resort (with my wife and three kids) I can tell you that the bad reviews are from people who are probably very hard to please and have high expectations of a "perfect hotel". I have never taken a vacation that didn't have some flaws or minor problems at the hotel and the Intecontinental is much the same. This property falls in line with some of the nicest Hyatt's and Westin's that we have stayed in, but those hotels had minor flaws as well. If every little detail is going to drive you crazy and you expect perfection then stay away from this hotel. Those people would probably only be satisifed at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. However, if you can go with the flow and relax then these minor problems won't be an issue.

This was our first trip to Fiji and the people are wonderful! Their smiles and attitudes alone help you to relax and feel welcome. The property is beautiful and luxurious at every turn. They have relaxing/shaded lounges at the pool and off the beach that allow you to lose yourself in a book or conversation. The only thing missing are some hammocks along the beach. What amazed us was how quite the resort was every where you went. Even though the resort was pretty full due to school holidays, you often wondered where everyone was.

The rooms are the amongst the largest and nicest of any resort we have ever stayed at and the patios add to the experience with a great bath tub and relaxing sofa. Keep in mind only some of the rooms have extended patios which offer lounge beds. These are only in the ocean/lagoon front Bure's but are a great touch for relaxing outside your own room.

The food was average and after a week it starts to gets old because of the lack of variety. They have three restaruants but the menu only changes at the nightly buffet. That restaurant is dedicated to breakfast and dinner buffets only. They could stand to change this format to add standard menu's with some variety like sushi, thai, etc...

Navo is a very good restaurant that should be tried at least twice. Relaxed elegance with beautiful views of the ocean. Try to get there before the sun completely sets to enjoy the best view. The pool side restaurant offers the most basic choices and is good for lunch but should be avoided for dinner unless you want pizza, which isn't bad. Ask them to set up a seperate table just outside so you can dine under the stars. They will gladly do it and it makes for a nice touch.

The kids pool is nice but basic. It is best suited for 3 - 9 year olds and they will probably get tired of it by day 3 or 4. Since the other pool is for audlts only it leaves out the 10 - 18 year olds who like water slides and pools that offer places to explore. The kids pool is lacking in this area and a shame they overlooked it. The adult/infinity pool is beautiful and relaxing; perfect for a couples only vacation.

The beach is great for walking and finding shells. At low tide you can walk out amongst the coral beds looking for hermit crabs, fish and small octopus in the tide pools. The kids loved it. Although its pretty to look at, there are only a few openings where you can swim without worrying about the coral. This keeps most people out of the water.

My wife and I both had massages at the SPA and found them to be very relaxing. Get there 30 minutes early to take advantage of the steam room and baths, as well as lingering afterwards in the relaxation lounge...nice touch.

The kids club is pretty good and they offer a range of activites that change each day. We ended up only using it at night a few times and found it was pretty quite.

With the current exchange rates being quite favorable and the fact that the kids all eat for free, it makes this a very affordable five star vacation. All in all, even with the small imperfections, we hope to return to the Intercontentintal as we found it very relaxing and great for families.

4 Thank PoiPuBoy
We have a new Food & Beverage team, things have changed.

P Nth NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

After a fantastic stay, sent my staff. huge success they loved it as much.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank dexnz

Port Macquarie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2009

My wife and I have stayed at many 5 star resorts around the world over the past few years whilst looking for paradise, well I think we may have finally found it at the Intercontinental Fiji. This place is incredible & I say this for a number of reasons; It is a glamorous new property with a trendy fit out and is surrounded by stunning grounds filled with places to chill out, It is located on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and has a very relaxing ambience. The rooms are luxurious and well appointed and feel very secluded. The resort is very quiet for its size and people appear few and far between, the resort was at full capacity when we visited but we still felt as though we were in a small resort with few people around. The adults only infinity pool was also fantastic and incredibly relaxing. The service we received was first rate and the staff were warm and friendly, I will agree with other comments regarding the food, it was slightly below average but we didn't stay here for the food so therefore it didn't worry us to much. The golf course was spectacular and also very challenging, I would recommend checking it out even if your not into golf, the prices are quite reasonable for a championship course and the views are well worth it. Make sure you take plenty of spare balls with you- trust me, you will need them.

As far as 5 star resorts go, we think this one really stands out; it is also great value & much cheaper than most we have stayed at in the past- we will definitely be back in 2010.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dougeli

Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2009

We contacted the hotel before leaving to organize our transfers from the airport. We're told they would cost $175FJ in a private transfer vehicle to the hotel. When we arrived we were greeted with a 1980's mercedes benz that was not in very good condition with 70's shag fur on the dash.
Driver asked use if we wanted air conditioning or "natural air". We said fresh air conditioning. After 5 minutes of hot air blowing in our faces we asked for the "natural air", and tried to get the windows to work, but without success and so the diver wound down the front windows, after about 20 minutes as the car was constantly shaking and rattling the diver pulled over into a garage to open the bonnet and toy with the motor, he got back into the car and we headed off again to the hotel. The driver was constantly on the mobile phone.
On arrival at the hotel, we were given taken to our room, which is very new and quite luxurious, however when we decided to take a shower before dinner we had to stop abruptly as the water in the recess was filling up and starting to overflow into our room.
Dinner in the Navo restaurant was lovely and the staff were very nice and friendly.
Next day we went to complain to the concierge regarding the transfers and he dropped the charge from $175 to $140, and said that he would make sure that we got a great car on our return to the airport. Not too good.
In our room we had a great Bose sound system linked up with the Flat screen TV ad the Hotel manual told us that we could borrow CD's and DVD's so we asked the concierge could we have some DVD's to see. He gave us the list and when asked for a particular one he said that it was out. we asked for another no it was out also, I said there it is over in the cupboard and we had struck gold, we had found one. Do you have a CD list, no was the reply we do have any. No explanation given why, there in the hotel manual. No we don't have them.
Monday came and it was my wife's birthday so we had been the previous day to see over the Spa which presented beautifully and the introduction went very smoothly.
We went to our scheduled appointment and we had booked the special couples treatment room which contained outdoor spa in natural stone and all mod cons we went to use the spa and none of the jets were working. I had to go out to the reception to get someone to come in to see why and were told that it must have just broken down.
We said Ok that's not much good but we offered to continue with our experience.
went for the couples shower for our treatment. This time the water flowed out the shower recess and flooded the whole dressing room. My wife had enough and called for the General Manager who came about a half hour later to apologize to us for our misfortunes and offered to remedy the situation.
We left the situation in his hands and returned to our room.
Later that afternoon he phone us in our room and once again apologized our our bad experience and said that he had organized my wife's birthday dinner at the Navo restaurant which would be taken in charge by the hotel, and that we could return to the spa tomorrow for our treatment assured that the issues that we had experienced had now been fixed. The spa treatment would be paid for by the hotel as well. We accepted this , and thanked him.
The birthday dinner was a wonderful experience and the staff really looked after us.
We returned the next day to take our treatments at the spa. my wife had asked for a remedial massage and was very disappointed as she changed masseurs in the middle as the first one couldn't do the job, had to end up going to the reception to get a 2nd masseur to try to do the job but was just as bad as the first.
Have no idea about remedial massage.
My masseur was quite good as I had not requested remedial.
My wife went back out to the reception to ask why she had not got a remedial massage and said that she had specifically asked for this when we booked. However nothing has been recorded in the system and nobody really cared.
She was offered a 45 minute session with my masseur in compensation for her experience.. Which she was happy with. We rebooked for day before our departure and the evening before the spa told us that the masseur would not be in the next day due to some family reasons, and asked if we wanted someone else. No was the reply.
We booked a trip through the concierge to go on a boat trip with South Sea Island Tours
to see the various Islands around FIji. "The Seaspray"
The morning came for the pickup and we were expecting a tourist bus , instead we got a broken down filthy dirty old mini van, on the side door were the word's "Your in Safe Hands" windows dirty. inside the air con didn't work, the seats had turned from original light grey to filthy dirty dark brown grey and it smelt of dust and dirty spilt drink marks covered the door interiors.
My wife complained and the Indian man said what do you want me to do , "clean it." I stepped in and said that if he turned up in Australia to pick up tourists in the heap that they would roll it into the tip.
We got into the bomb as we had already paid for the trip, and feared no cancellation monies would be refunded it we didn't go.
The vehicle had no suspension or shock absorbers left and by the time we got to Denareau Island for the boat pickup we felt that we had already been a day on the high seas, once again mobile phone calls received by the driver during the trip. Waiting for us
on our return was the same man. He appoligized to us for the mornings vehicle, this time he was there with a sedan about the same age as the other van, he had bought the best in his fleet of luxury bombs to offer us an even more harrowing experience on our return journey.
Inside, once again no air con working , seats were filthy and it smelt moldy, the mobile phone constantly in use, suspension gone, two of the warning lights on the dash were glowing bright orange, and all was gone along like the morning bing, bong, bounce until the rain struck. The rain struck the front windscreen and when the wipers came on that was it , the driver couldn't see a thing, he suddenly swerved across the other side of the road, almost into oncoming traffic. The wiper blades i think, had never been changed from original.
The driver was constantly going over double white lines around bends onto the opposite side of the road, in the pouring rain. My wife's hand was gripping mine and I just shut my eyes as he put the pedal to the floor going down hill to make up for no power on the grades as the motor was had it.
We finally did arrive back to the hotel, not sure how, but this has got to be the longest car ride that I have experienced. As we have travelled to places such as China and Iran with some interesting car journeys. This one took the cake.
We complained to the hotel management and wrote a formal fax explaining our journey and got an email back to the hotel saying that they sympathized with us and would take this up with the taxi company as they expected the service vehicles to be of high standard.
They offered us in compensation , a free airport transfer, and trusted that we would take up their offer.
Sorry we declined.
We did have some good experiences at the hotel, despite all the problems, the hotel has very good potential, but lacks serous attention to much of the detail.
The Golf Course is fantastic. The food and service at the Golf Club is seriously better and cheaper than the Hotel. Great place for lunch.
It is probably one of the best Golf courses that I have seen, and is seriously challenging.
The hotel is beautifully laid out and the setting is superb, they have a beautiful wedding chapel, however given the lack of attention to detail that we experienced, not sure if the brides would be very happy.
Gym is quite well equipped, the swimming pools are great and they have quite a good deal of different water activities available, however these lack real promotion amongst the guests and if you don't go and enquire no one will tell you about anything.
There is no night life other than the Karma bar to relax with a drink or just the restaurants.
A newspaper was delivered twice to my room during our 8 night stay and I'm still not sure whether or not we were supposed to receive a newspaper daily, even after asking the GM, who gave no reply to this.
We had to complain about the turn down service as two days running there was none, after the 2nd time when they left a card saying our do not disturb sign or lock was locked, which wasn't the case as I had checked everything before leaving for dinner.
Initially they weren't cleaning the room correctly or washing the tiled floors until we complained.
We had a number of issues with breakfasts, two Jams in the one pot, when continental breakfast bought over to the table, cold toast, two breakfasts delivered instead of one ordered, tables not cleaned until we spoke to the supervisor.
A number of times we were woken through staff noise talking in the early morning hours as apparently the rubber seal on our door didn't close down when we locked our door.
Found this out only after complaining once again to the GM the day before leaving.
Some of the staff there are wonderful, whilst others are as slack as two bob watches and couldn't care less.
Great poolside music. Adds to the atmosphere
We found out from the driver who returned us to the airport in one of the courtesy vehicles from the hotel, the only decent vehicle that I got into during my stay. That they had a few of these available for the guests,
Why didn't we get this when we arrived? As we were the only guests going to the Hotel from our flight.If we hadn't made such a fuss, I am certain we would have been ripped off on the return trip also to the airport.
This is the first 5 Star INternational Hotel we have visited that we had to constantly complain and threaten to have people sacked to get the basics done.
In conclusion :
Wonderful setting , great environment, hope they can get it together.
P.S. Don't take up the concierge's offer to get clothes made in Nadi. You will be sorry.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Disneyland55
Mr/s Sneddon, thank you for your comments.

I am sorry we made some mistakes during your stay. You told me you were not satisfied, I compensated you happily. Wishing you safe travels.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

We have just returned from 10 nights at this beautiful resort. My husband and I travelled with our 7 year old and we all had a great break. This was our 3rd trip to Fiji and we have traditionally stayed at the Shangri-la.......not any more...........we are already planning our return trip to the Intercontinental.

The rooms at the Intercontinental are spacious and the outdoor area with the bath and day bed were great. Make sure you request a ground floor room so you get the bath.

The pool area was fantastic, plenty of sun lounges and love pods available. Every time we wanted a seat we got one, without any fuss and also without people having 'claimed' their spaces early in the morning.

The food in Fiji is average, the food at the Intercontinental is better than I have had before in Fiji, but there is still room for improvement.

Sanasana Restaurant: we had dinner there twice and thought it was very average. The Indian night was ok but we didn't think it was as good as others had rated it.

Navo was a bit expensive but definitely worth it in our opinion. We ate there on 4 nights an had fantastic service. The lobster was great, I asked them to cook it a different way than was on the menu and it tasted great. The steak was ok.

Toba Bar & Grill: the Pizza's were ok, we took advantage of the special of the day for sandwiches and the Pollo Salad (dinner menu) was nice (minus the coconut).

Golf Club: for a change I'd recommend visiting the golf club for lunch, more variety and food was good.......also an amazing view.

We packed cereal from home and had this by the pool each morning, avoiding the buffet.

Mary from Concierge is great, she was very efficient and made sure we didn't get the run around when confirming our transfers with Coral Sun. Also recommend the Village tour.

Kids Club was ok, the staff are lovely although they don't really seem to get the numbers to be able to run the full set of activities.

During our stay the second Tsunami warning (8 Oct 09) happened and we were evacuated to the golf club. This was handled with minimum fuss although I was a bit surprised that there was no member of staff at the golf club to account for guests.

A couple of suggestions for the hotel management:
1. Make a washing machine available, we stayed for 10 nights and went to the gym each day.....this meant washing our clothes in the sink which became a bit annoying.
2. Have a wok bar/noodle bar in one of the restaurants - we are not really into buffets and would have enjoyed being able to order a quick stir fry. (One of the managers I spoke to said this was already in the works.)
3. Consider doing sushi rolls for lunch

5 Thank rblw
Thank you for your comments. Your suggestions:

1.We would rather launder your clothes for you. Its all part of the service.
2.Food is cooked to order is on offer every night.
3.Sushi for lunch – on its way!

Neil Houghton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!