“A hidden gem”

de Vos The Private Residence
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I know words can not truly express this little gem set in "paradise". We had a BURE that looked onto the beach, with a private outdoor bath. The bure had 2 King size beds, , tea/coffee making facilities and a fridge.
The staff were SO friendly and helpful and the environment peaceful and welcoming we didn't want to leave........... We used public transport to visit Suva, Sigatoka and Nadi, we did one
daytrip on a river cruise which was really enjoyable. It would however have been very easy to stay by the pool or wandering along the beach.
I would highly recommend this peaceful, relaxing destination to anyone who needs to switch off and relax........

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jillian H
annemarei1, Owner at de Vos The Private Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Bula it is often difficult know words and can not truly express our appreciation of your review to not sound like just another thank you and express our thanks for taking the time to place your review.
This is our paradise and thank you for experiencing this and appreciating it we wish you a big welcome in coming back to enjoy again

thanks
]

There are newer reviews for de Vos The Private Residence

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend de Vos. My partner and I and a friend stayed for 6 nights. The staff are excellent, and the bures well equipped. It would be possible to spend an entire week without leaving the premises: all meals are available, the pool is great, and you can snorkel or kayak straight from the beach. However, there are other great atttactions within driving distance so I recommend hiring a car. In particular, the Eco Cafe (about a 10 minute drive) is a must-visit.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Anna5672014

Thank you for your feedback. We were delighted to read that you had a relaxing island escape at the de Vos and that you enjoyed our boutique resort facilities and service. We were also pleased to read that you had a great time on our beach and seaside .

We would love to welcome you back to our sunny shores again soon

Reviewed 2 May 2014

De Vos was exactly what we needed: beachfront resort, snorkelling right in front of the resort, a bure (much nicer than a hotel room) and friendly staff. You do have to plan to snorkel at high - mid tide though. The sea is warm even in the early morning. We had the bure by the pool, which is screened by plants but has a deck view across the pool to the sea. The private courtyard with bath was a lovely extension to this bure.

With no agenda we just took each day as it came, snorkelling, swimming, visiting nearby Hideaway and Naviti resorts and Sigatoka once. We liked our resort best because it felt friendly and there was always some pool shade. There's a nice mini supermarket directly across the road, accessible from the beach and up a bank (or you can walk the longer, sedate way). Because of close proximity to other guests in the common area it would probably not be so great if they weren't nice. But because we made friends with both guests and staff, it was more enjoyable than other holidays we've had. The staff surprised my husband with an enormous slice of chocolate cake on his birthday, which was much appreciated.

If you want to roam, a car is ideal for convenience. You would miss the friendliness of bus/shuttle passengers though. Cost: $2.40-3.00 to Sigatoka, $8.50 air conditioned express to airport.

De Vos captured the ambience of a luxury bach experience where we could disconnect from stress and unwind in a natural unintrusive environment. We would definitely like to go back.

Room Tip: Beach front bures are probably quieter than those nearer the road.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MnCkiwis

Bula

We are glad de Vos was exactly what you needed The bure by the pool or Lomalagi, which is screened by plants but has a deck view across the pool to the sea,the private courtyard with the marble bath is a lovely extension to this bure. This bure is popular with couples for peace and privacy while has lovely sea views is not on front of beach but directly behind

We were happy you were able to go snorkelling, swimming, visiting nearby resorts and this met your requirements. It is always great when all guests get along or appreciate each others privacy when required and are happy you made friends with both guests and staff.

We totally agree with you on the transport to hire a car you miss so much of the friendliness and interaction that you get when you use buses or taxis. Taxis are soo cheap in Fiji we would never use them in other countries at the prices in Fiji and the exchange rates just makes it so usable.
You are most welcome back

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had a great weeks stay here. The staff are so friendly and helpful and there are lots of activities near by if you feel like it. We hired a car which I would highly recommend as it made life a lot easier to pop out and get lunch or go and see different sites. Had not been to Fiji before, this was a great experience. Good local eats include the Eco Cafe and the restaurants at the nearby Hideaway resort if you feel like getting out for a bit. I wouldn't say Fiji is a place to find fantastic food, but we had nice enough meals each night. The resort offers home cooked meals if you want them, they are basic but it suited our needs. This was the perfect place for our much needed rest and relax. If you were after something more adventure packed, it's probably not the place to go. For us it was ideal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GinaPedersen

Thank you for choosing de Vos as your holiday destination and for your great review of our property here on the Coral Coast. We do hope that you have returned home with some amazing memories of your holiday in Fiji and that should you plan to return that you would consider staying with us once again.As y say it is the perfect place for our much needed rest and relax.We are pleased it as the ideal place for you to stay see you again

Annemarie and Team at de Vos

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We arrived to a fantastic shuttle service 180FJD each way. W as a bit disappointed when arrived at Devos to learn we couldn't get a coffee even though there was a machine in the kitchen...small issue though.we were shown two rooms one bure right near beachfront ,the other near the car park which wasn't a bure...very noisy near road.however when another couple checked out our friends were able to be moved.The website said we would get welcome drink and fruit platter however this didn't happen.We loved the pool but again website said there was a bar so we thought cocktails by the pool all holiday...this didn't happen as no bar.A fabulous masseuse on staff and way cheaper than the major resorts..however I suggest a menu of beauty treatments needs to be in each bure so guests are aware of this service. We really enjoyed the meals cooked by Tony and Julie and Radjia....thought that breakfast could have been included though.Devos is situated 1.5 hours from airport so you really need a car to do most sightseeing.
The bures were nice but really need to update bathrooms and make sure shampoos and soaps are replaced every day or so.mosquito nets over bed need replacing..big holes in them won't keep the mozzies out.a fridge in the kitchen with soft drinks beer and wine would be handy and I'm sure guests would use this facility as going to your room every time you want a drink whilst swimming was annoying.the staff were beautiful and friendly...not meaning to be negative but just some suggestions to improve guests stays.

Natalie and Andrew
Newcastle nsw

Room Tip: Choose beachfront bure
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Natsmith2014

Bula

Thank you for your review we also strongly recommend the use of Imis shuttle service for saftey and insurance purposes and also very entertaining. With exchange rates and comparision to overseas prices this is a great deal and the fact that you are not paying by the meter so you can stop and do a little shopping on the way pick up a few things is a great option.no extra rates per person one price for shuttle .Sorry you were not able to get a coffee of choice on arrival we have plunger and instant coffees available in bures and main room at all times but not all staff can operate machine in kitchen for special coffees and sometime people arrive at odd times but although not normally an issue we have requested and follow through that even Tomasi can operate the machine just in case so next time he will be ready does not matter what time you arrive-his first attempts very interesting and the guests he has been practising on found it highly amusing.It is important that no matter what time someone arrives that everything should be delivered as promised.
I am a little confused about rooms as you booked rooms which are in main building on second level and you got a free upgrade to beach side bure which you note and the semi contained bure near pond area first in from car park.. cant work out what you mean but will email you on this I am thinking you are saying that beach side bures are best the semi contained bure was not as nice as front seaside but your friends also got a upgrade when one became available.
The semi contained is not obviously the prime position nor is it charged as so it has a kitchen in it and is very suitable older couples or someone with disabilities or a family that needs kitchen in night or quiet away from everyone it is suitable a very private spot. In saying that we have couples how rebook this bure so all matter of choice but beachfront does not appeal to everyone.

The pool bar is available for parties or bookings but as website states we have no liquor licence as yet it is in process but you are welcome to bring duty free or shuttle will stop to purchase and advise on any requirements.Thank you for the suggestion on beauty treatments in bures Julie is presently working on new compendiums for room as which will include all spa treatments.
Min bars will be in fridges once liquor licences are approved.
Breakfast inclusive we offer all different packages and guest can choose their options I have checked your bookings your were offered the option but again thank you for the feedback.
All feedback is only a good thing so thank you again for all your comments an they have been most heapful to all of us

Annemarie and the team at de Vos
Hope to see you again

Reviewed 18 February 2014

First my partner and I didn't pay for this accommodation as his father gave his voucher to us as his mother doesn't like Fiji. This gave us a chance to get away cheapish. We decided that we would stay in Denarau first for 2 nights before going down to the Coral Coast. I have been to Fiji once before on a two day stop over and stayed only in Denarau was excited to explore a bit more down the coast. We were offered transport from the airport by De Vos staff but didn't take it as we were driving down in the hire car... so idea about the cost of the transfer so no comment on that. It took us about 2 hours to get to De Vos because we didn't have good directions and the roads are not signed right we had to pull over and ask for directions 3 times which all the locals were helpful - they should email directions to all guests that are not using their transport. Also days before we were due to stay the website was offline so we couldn't look it up and relied on trip adviser for details. We pull into a driveway we think is De Vos and my partner asks two men in the garden and hooray they confirm we are at the right place. They help us with our bags and by this time I am starving so all I want is something to eat. Thomas and the Chef, Napoleon, took us to our room and I notice his chef uniform and ask if he could make me something... he did...thankfully. The other staff were there too and they all greeted us and were quite lovely. We did some exploring and were advised we can go kayaking and snorkelling on the beach just take their equipment, which seemed cool. I'll divide the review in sections to make it easier to read

Rooms/Bure
• These looks nice but the furniture was a bit outdated for what we were expecting but seem to fit the vibe of the bure.
• We had a Mango Room with two beds and a large shower and a door that went outside to a garden bath (we didn't use it)
• The room didn't have kitchen facilities just kitchenette - my partner wanted a tea but the jug was gross inside so he wouldn't use it. The fridge wasn't turned on when we arrived so had to wait to get cold before storing our water
• The aircon is way too small for that size room - it struggled majorly and the ceiling fan blew hot air and needs to be lowered on an extension rod.
• There is no TV or Wi-Fi in the rooms which was annoying
• There were white ants and black ants in the bathroom and above the fridge
• You don't get a key to the room so you lock it yourself when you leave - and the staff unlock to clean and relock when they leave. You have to ask for them to unlock it all the time which is annoying and you feel like a pest if they are busy or late at night. We locked it because we had laptops, jewellery, phones, tablets etc. so didn't want it stolen as there is no safes.
• It was relatively clean it could use a mould treatment. The blue towels leave pills on your skin but we got white ones after which were better except on day one of the fresh towels had an old blood stain which was a bit gross.
• At night animals sound like they are eating the room and items from trees drop all night long, also mozzies attack at night if you keep the door open during the day. Get repellent.
• Beds are not comfortable, mozzie nets seemed unclean.
Overall the Bure was large and okay but only really slept in there not much to do in there.

Residence Facilities and Outside activities
• The pool looks good but it is muggy and slimy and the water in the pool is hot so it doesn't cool you down at all we used it various times as the beach is average and wanted something to do.
• No cooking facilities in the room means they have a chef to cook meals at cost as we didn't have anything in our voucher or knew we could upgrade to include breakfast like other couples had done to save money. Would have been nice to be told about additional upgrades
• The food was ok we ate it for about two days and I had enough and didn't want to eat there anymore... we only had breakfast randomly there if we had too. We had a backup box of cereal and milk from the store across the road if needed. I got some papaya on the side of the road to eat for breakfast some days. A few times what we ordered wasn't as described and was under or over cooked. I ordered crapes on my last day and got a stack of pancakes. I don't like pancakes so I ate one and fed the rest to the cats they enjoyed it. We went to neighbour resorts and ate food or down to the Eco Cafe which is heading towards Suva. Eco Cafe was my favourite. We ate at Warwick Resort, Naviti Resort and Eco Cafe most of the time. When the main chef was not at the residence the menu went downhill it was the same food every day another reason not to eat there. Also, the coffee is terrible do not order it. I would have preferred to cook my own food at least half of the time to save money.
• The residence did a Lovo and Kava ceremony which all guests participated in but no one told us the cost and on checkout it was 60 or 80FJD which was so overpriced as the food was terrible and I only ate one thing and my partner wasn't a fan either. I am sure the resorts of villages do it better opt for somewhere else to do it.
• No alcohol served at the premises and we didn't get duty free and the shop just up the road as an average selection of alcohol and expensive. The shop also sells basic supplies which came in handy and always had friendly staff. We often went to the resorts for cocktails.
• Snorkelling was okay - very muggy. Saw some cool fish and got some photos. The snorkelling gear they offer is gross and only two OK masks. They really need to throw them out and start again and think about have a disinfectant bucket to clean them in same with the reef shoes. The kayaks are ok, one broken paddle so that was hard to use. We still managed and had a laugh.
• Common area where the TV and Wi-Fi access is makes you feel obligated to talk to people or be social which is annoying if you are wanting to keep to yourself. We chatted to some people but sometimes just wanted some peace and the Wi-Fi connection. The Wi-Fi is 25FJD a week and is a waste of money at most times. It barely connects and I feel bad having to ask for it all the time. Unfortunately I wasn't able to switch off as I do some business and needed email contact. We also used it to find things to do as it was quite boring if you didn't leave the residence.
• Thomas took us horse riding which we really enjoyed he chatted along the way and it was lovely along the beach this was a highlight of my trip as I love horses. This was 35FJD each for beach and more for the mountain tour.
• We went to the waterfall up the road which we drove too and didn't do a tour and my partner and I walked ourselves. We are fit enough to do alone and didn't want to pay the extra for a guide and wanted some privacy to chat amongst ourselves. The water was 25FJD each to access. They did a Kava ceremony told us some history and showed us jewellery for purchase (which of course you feel obligated to buy) and then left us alone. When we came back we bought one piece of jewellery as we only had 30FJD on us and left. The waterfall is amazing was another highlight.
• We watched the sunset on our last night at the Eco Cafe and stoke to the owner and the whole scene was so beautiful this was another highlight of our trip.
• Suva is overrated and the only good thing is the Pure Fiji factory outlet which is still sort of pricey but cheaper than stores. Suva was just yuk although DeVos on the Park in Suva let us park outside their hotel free so that was a plus.
• Sigatoka town is overrated also, we got cornered by a Fiji group to go inside and check out their shops... they did a Kava ceremony and told us history and kept wanting us to buy stuff. We just picked a few small things that were very overpriced but we just wanted to get out.
• Eco Park Kula was ok the turtles are in a small area but the rest seems ok. They seem to help animals (i hope) good for something to do.
• You get the chance to meet other couples at the residence we met an older NZ couple who were lovely and a younger NZ couple who also were lovely and we took them along to some of the activities we did as they didn't have a car. The NZ couple and us went to the Warwick for dinner and got to watch the Fiji Dancing Show which was cool and got photos with them etc.

Overall the residence was okay if you just want a room and you have car access to drive around and explore. My partner and I both said we would have hated to be stuck there without car access to do as we please. The car was our life saver. I personally would only opt to eat breakfast there (or get it included in your deal) and eat my meals outside of the residence. We were not a fan of the food at all. I wished we did a trip to an island to do snorkelling but at least we know for next time either way was ok we enjoyed our activities away from the resort and meeting the young NZ couple to explore with. Staff were friendly overall which was pleasant. I think the rooms should have TV/Kitchen/Wi-Fi facilities it is the private residence and if couples want to keep to themselves this makes it hard. The worst thing about the Devos overall to me was a man and women who arrived and I believe they were the owners they seemed lovely but the man was smoking all the time around the common area and it was disgusting. I personally hate smoking and I feel he didn't even consider the guests and just lit up. I avoided his surroundings until they left. I don't want to breathe that in. Maybe, next time, be considerate. Other than that overall we enjoyed our stay even with the annoyances but we were a bit shocked by the bill at the end but didn't want to argue due to a previous experience with tour staff in Denarau, so just paid, thanked them and left. We checked out a day early was my partner was very ill and otherwise I would have had to drive us to the airport at 3am so we stayed in Nadi before flying home. We wouldn't pay to stay there but if you got a cheap voucher it would be good value. We probably won't return but was good for free accommodation. Sorry it is long!

Room Tip: Get a beach Bure upgrade
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank NatashaVenus
annemarei1, Owner at de Vos The Private Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for such an in depth review and I will endeavour to give the feedback you deserve for such an effort. You were lucky to be given a lovely stay . With the package purchase there were a lot of extras and additives your father could of advised you of. You could have had code to access to access all details on the web with was on your voucher such a pity he did not give this to you . As you could of had all of the following queries answered quickly before you came:
- not only are directions listed on website but you had private access to package site for voucher with exact instructions and map
-contact details direct
-update for breakfast option
-update for meal package
- update for bure not room (since it was your honeymoon we upgraded you complimentary to a bure and fridge turned on as you received a last minute upgrade on arrival)
-package brought was for a room no kitchen facilities option to upgrade
-Tvs Dvds are available on request
-safe available on request
-cards games and extensive library books available on request
-the kayaks water sports some snorkeling gear welcome to bring you won some coral reef shoes free of charge

Thank you fro kind comments on staff they are always thoughtful that is one reasons they upgraded you last minute you advised you were on your honeymoon and they all made sure your bure was checked for you and cooked for you
-the kitchen is open from 7.30 daily and does not close till late at night open all day and if guest leaving early or coming late they always wait or phone and check if you would like something they are very considerate
Bure
Is what you stayed in you refer to bures some places room ?
They are large traditional style bures with Balinese furniture -modern Balinese furniture but as you say fit the vibe of the bure and quite expensive There are plenty of pictures on website most response to this is great
What a shame you did not use the additional outside bathroom always a delight for romantic or honey moon couples we have candles and bubbles on hand for usage the bath is a large marble bath for 2 and private patio area with full view of the stars
We have extensive cooling options large commercial air cons in each bure that are designed for size 2 bedroom home, side fans and ceiling fans in middle bure (they are only cold air not hot air)
The bures are designed with 3 sides full louvres and being on the seaside the breeze during the day is quite lovely .
We apologise for the new towels being too fluffy for you and you wanted white towels only most guests love fluffy new towels
The pool is always so clean but yes can be warm when weather is extremely hot not a lot we can do about this- I agree nothing like a very hot day and sea water hot and pool warm but that is why we have plunge spa end of main pool out of sun and shaded and also 2 private plunge pools with bures for that exact reasons they are always nice and cool.
Meals we keep our menu as reasonable as possible as most guests dont want to go out and pay top prices day in and out for meals most have packages with breakfast inclusive. We always advise all guests of all the many options from resorts to cafes in the area and encourage them to go out then they mostly come back and say which we had of stayed but you have to experience the full picture to appreciate what you have how ever we never encourage roadside stall etc as you know your husband got sick at the end we only recommend what we know to be safe for you.
We dont provide kitchens except in one bure which is fully equipped and very really used.The kitchen staff are extremely accommodating though for any guests in helping them in this area.
to b honest most tourist come to fiji for holiday not to cook their own meals and clean up after them selves. mostly all about pampering and being looked after. There are some back packer options around that cope with the minority who come on a shoestring.
wifi we have access in main area but you also have access in bure and can purchase modem wifi at $25 for 7 days excellent coverage in previous years it has been odd in our area but now it is great we check this with guests all the time and of course we are in 24 hours a day all out in house systems are in the cloud.
The common area is spacious there is indoor outdoor you can have a table for meals near pool on own your balcony front bure looking out to sea -fire side or front decking with other people or inside many options
also have large screen Tv Dvds in main area conversation pit for cards or games and plenty sitting areas this is in addition to your bure having own sitting lounge area two beds even though one couple front balcony and private gardens area
The waterfall is a great trip glad you enjoyed it however the guide is included in the price and he is well worth it as he has knowledge about the area and the walk you cross 9 streams, the craft kava area it is optional to go in or not there is no one making you or even calling you in
Pure fiji is expensive but value for money I am a 100% supporter of this product I think it is the best and would like to change our supplier for products in bures to pure fiji any guest I have discussed this with their eyes light up -good value lasts ages
You comment you were bored obviously you were not provided with what you expect but I cant determine what you felt was missing:we have
kayaking
-resorts either side
-tours available
-water fall
-wifi

It s a pity you did not like the Fijian lovo most guest do and Tomasi does such a great job weaving baskets and hand grated all the coconut most places only have fish and chicken in lovos for around $60 a head were tom has pork fish chicken sausages many vegetables include Palusami and kokodas and desert You paid $60 Fijian for 2 people (good value)
The couple you refer to that was there when you were there was a business couple who came from hotel in Suva for couple nights and staff confirm he smoked in front of his own bure and on beach which is as much as we can ask. I have checked with other guests staying at time including NZ couple you refer to and no one had any problem they were not aware you had even spoken with them so unfortunately you may have crossed path at some point momentarily.
I appreciate and again thank you for your views but it does confirm that perhaps next time a cheaper place with kitchens- which will be difficult i cannot think of any resort in Fiji with kitchens in the rooms or bures.To recommend somewhere to stay that has no other guests to talk to is also difficult unless you book a private house maybe.

O

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My partner and I took a chance on a 1-day deal voucher for a weeks stay at De Vos. We figured that we would stay a couple of days and then move on to another part of the island. Not a chance! From the moment we arrived we felt like we had arrived in paradise. The lovely team working at De Vos made us feel like honoured guests. We were up-graded to our own Bure (villa) that over-looked the beach inclusive of our own hammock swinging from a tree out front. The villa itself was beautiful! Two double beds with romantic mosquito nets, a lounging sofa, fridge, tea/coffee facilities, an open planned bathroom with a shower with two shower heads and my personal favourite... an private open aired bath out the back. For a couple this was really heaven. We ended up staying the entire week. The surrounding area is really secluded and to get involved in some nightlife you really need to visit the neighbouring resorts, which the staff at De Vos were more than happy to help you with organising taxi's etc. We rented a car (again organised by the staff at De Vos) and spent our days tripping around sites/beaches and visiting other resorts. We always found ourselves relieved to be coming home in the evening to De Vos away from loud and noisy resorts full of screaming children. If you are a couple or groups of mates looking for a place to be pampered and experience a little more local Fiji this is the place for you. As a single traveller you may find yourself a little isolated. When my partner and I return to Fiji this will definitely be the place we will stay. Cheers for the lovely holiday De Vos!!!

Room Tip: Any of the Bure's facing the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank lyndallmac

Bula

Thank you for your in depth and wonderful review I love it when gusts use the word paradise as this is the exactly what we are trying to deliver and we now we have achieved.
A bure on the beach with luxury and all amenities and extras and with outside bathroom we are pleased you used and enjoyed these facilities and that the staff encouraged and arranged for you to have some nights out

The fact that you always enjoyed coming back says it all
You recommend for couples or a group of mates this is our ideal market the place can be booked for exclusively a group and they can design there own holiday without any thought to others or book in couple time and be pampered as you have outlined
We welcome you with open arms and yes beach front bures are prime spots
hope to see you soon

Annemarie and team at de Vos

Room Tip: Any of the Bure's facing the beach.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Bedarra Beach Inn
Tambua Sands
Tambua Sands
#3 of 9 in Sigatoka
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to de Vos The Private Residence? Share your experiences!