“Dinner”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Dinner”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We came from the Shangrila to dinner at Gecko after our shuttle driver recommended it. We were a group of 4 and only 1 out of the 4 of us had a decent meal. The meals were huge but the quality was lacking, the vegetables were brown and the fish was drowning in sauce, 2 of us had scallops as an entree and both of us ended up spending the night on the toilet, not a very pleasant way to end the night or next day. Restaurant was contacted next day but they chose not to respond.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda G
Kalevu, General Manager at Gecko's Resort, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hello Linda G
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and our sincere apologies that your experience at Gecko’s Restaurant was not a pleasant one. We can assure you, had we of been made aware of the situation when it occurred, we would have addressed and dealt with it immediately. It is extremely disappointing for us to know that you have had to go down this path to get our attention. Please advise when it was that you dined at Gecko’s Restaurant and who you spoke with at Gecko’s Resort the following day regarding your experience. All feedback we receive is greatly appreciated and is used constructively to ensure all our guests dining experiences are enjoyable ones.
Please do contact us should you ever wish to return to Gecko’s Resort and we will ensure you receive the truly memorable dining experience that Gecko’s Restaurant is widely renowned for.
Vinaka Vakalevu,
Management and Staff of Gecko’s Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Whanganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Upon our arrrival to our depature it was a very pleasant stay at the Gecko Resort. It being the first time to Fiji we were taken back by the warmth and hospitality of our Fijian hosts. The Resort's amenities were above average. We will definitley refer onto friends and family.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hurstville, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have just got back from Fiji staying at the Gecko Resort it was fantastic the rooms were big and the staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome from the time we arrived to the time we left they are very good with children we had my grandkids with us 6 weeks and a very active 23 month old and they were alway spoke to them every time they saw them the we're the most amazing people. The food was great and great prices we had family and friends staying across at the Shangri La across the road come over for dinner with us on many occasion and they were made to feel welcome as if they were staying at the Gecko, they found the food cheap as the Shangri is very expensive. The firer show and culture dancing is for free on Sunday nights and Friday night but you do need to book your table for dinner as guess from the Shangri come over for dinner and to watch the show. I would highly recommend people to stay at the Gecko Resort. Jackie from Sydney

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jackie W
General M, General Manager at Gecko's Resort, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Bula Sarah J,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at Gecko’s Resort, all feedback is taken very seriously and used to see where we can improve to keep up our great reputation as posted on various reviews.
It is regrettable that you received towels that were dirty, had we been made aware of this they would have been exchanged immediately.
We can only apologize that your expectations weren’t met however we do feel that some of your other comments are surprising and unfair. Another member of your party took the time to stop me on the day you all checked out and comment that the decision to stay at Gecko’s Resort whilst here in Fiji to attend a wedding at the Intercontinental (20 Minutes drive away) had been the right decision and that they had enjoyed their stay here.
Yes you are correct; the T.V’s in the rooms do not have a very good reception, if you’re lucky you can get one channel maybe two (only local), we do however chose to keep them in the rooms for people to use on rainy days and utilize our free DVD library. There is also the large screen TV in the bar area which is turned on most of the day for all our guests to make use of.
Regarding flexibility at Breakfast, I see from your bill that your breakfast order on the 18th June went through to the Kitchen at 10.16am? We try to be as flexible as practicable when possible, but need to work to our advertised Restaurant times so we can cater for all of our Guests. We do have a cut off point for the end of breakfast so our chefs can prepare for lunch (11am – 3pm) and again for Dinner (6 – 9.30pm). During the week of your stay we served well over 500 meals in our Restaurant which is extremely busy for a small 28 room Resort.
“$25 per hour to extend Checkout when no-one else is there?”
We were in fact had 75% occupancy during your stay. Generally if the room is not needed for a check in then we are able to be flexible however unfortunately the day you and most of your party checked out there were also other guests checking out. A number of these rooms needed to be prepared for arriving guests that day or for early morning check-ins the following day. During quiet periods and when we do not require your room that day we are happy to be flexible with check out times which is usually done free of charge.
Again our apologies that we were unable to meet your expectations however I do hope some of the explanations above will help to clarify things for you.
Vinaka Vakalevu

Helen & Darren McPhee
General Managers
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

My mother, aunt and I dined here one night during our February trip to Fiji. Staying across the road at the Shangri-la resort, Geckos resort was a short walk across the road and a welcome change from the expensive resort good at Shangri-la. We attended Geckos on a Sunday night. It was busy due to their fire and show and we were lucky to get a table. The fire and dance show was an extra bonus while we ate. We had paid to see a similar show at Shangri-la.
The restaurant was clean and well ventilated and we had fun spotting all the Geckos while we waited for our food. Service was understandably slower than perhaps usual. I ordered the house curry, which was simply devine, my aunt the chicken parmigiana which she enjoyed and my mum the chicken vegetables and cashew nuts (I tasted hers and agreed it was delicious). Servings were a cost size and cost was equivalent to what I would expect to pay at home.
I would highly recommend you check out geckos if you are looking for a good, reasonably priced meal. Try and go on a Friday or Sunday night and you'll catch the great entertainment too!

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Sian S
Petrie, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Bula, My stay at Geckos was very very relaxing both Helen and Darren and all the staff were very friendly and always ready to be of assistance. The food was great value and the drinks reasobaly priced which is a change from larger resorts. 1 small critcism is the house music on most occasions was modern 80s,90s I would like to hear alot more variety of Fijian music whist at the resort but I was very happy and would not hesitate to stay on my next trip.

Doug Grice
Petrie / Brisbane

Room Tip: I stayed in room 27 nice and quite
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Atm0sphere7
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2014

As we were staying in Fiji for a fairly extended time, I scoured the net for weeks to find places to stay which would suit our budget (aiming at under $120 AUD/night average over an extended trip, range of 3-5 star experiences, always striving for best deals/value).

We've stayed at 6 places now around Viti Levu.

Geckos cannot be beaten in its class (3-3.5 star) for the money. At the moment the rate is 450 FJD for 6 nights or more under the "half price special", which at an exchange rate of .6 AUD to 1 FJD is 75 FJD/night or about 45 AUD, very safely under my target.

There is simply nothing at all available elsewhere at this rate, without a major drop in standards (there are plenty of horror stories in tripadvisor for Nadi worth a read!)

Geckos is easy to get to (opposite Shangri-La which is better known locally under its old title "The Fijian") From Nadi (pronounced Nandi) to Geckos is about 40-45 minutes on the road from recall, south along Queens road.

Geckos has superb free wifi in the main area (8mbps on a speed test), substantially faster than Vodaphone's own store in Nadi, and now also has wifi boosted to rooms (at a modest daily cost).

The staff are lovely, attentive, helpful and always friendly. We felt well looked after at all times. Fijian hospitality deserves its excellent reputation. You are getting great value in the quality of the staff.

The open air restaurant has usually good, sometimes great food, better than that available at some 4 star places. I don't recall seeing much (?any) traditional Fijian dishes; basically it's Western food with some curries. Kid friendly menu. Lunch is good value I thought. Prices for the same items go up at night, but this is often the case in Oz as well. Prices at night generally 23-30 FJD for a main, a few lobster dishes at 60-65 from memory.

Contextually, a greasy spoon option (at your own risk) in Sigatoka would be typically 6 FJD from the bain marie or 8-12 FJD freshly cooked.

Geckos British-style "breakfast of champions", (bacon. egg, sausage, white bread slices, tomato etc, common enough in Oz (esp hangovers), could probably do with a contemporary makeover.

The restaurant attracts customers from across the road at Shangri-La, especially for the free, fun and attractive Polynesian dances on Friday and Sunday night (so don't forget to book ahead for at least one of these nights). I would sooner forget my dancing on stage with the other hapless customers, but this was a treasured amusement for my partner.

The grounds are excellent, lush and well maintained. There is a crystal clear, reasonable sized pool given the size of the facility and decking around it to laze in the shade.

There are quite a number of traditional Fijian structures around the site, inside which are ornate hand carved wooden tools (mostly weaponry or cannibal cutlery) - basically a free cultural bonus well worth a wander around.

There is a kid's playground area, a volleyball net setup, an area for petanque, a day spa building (never checked it out) and a gift shop which also has ice-creams and a small selection of chocolate bars.

Happy hour is from 5-7 pm, with a modest discount on drinks. eg -a 375mL local beer is sold at 6.50 FJD & is 5.00 in happy hour (ie about $3 AUD). Wine is generally a bit dearer in Fiji.

If you plan to drink beer or wine and wish to offset costs, it is only a few FJD each way to Sigatoka (pronounced Singatoka) in a "share taxi"/minivan hailed from the road to buy wine or beer (beer is about 45 FJD per 24x375mL case local beer). There is a small fridge in the room.

Sigatoka is about 10-15 minutes by the road. There are quite a few activities in the area, eg the Eco-park, sand dunes, sail cruise, sugar cane railway, Tavuni fort, village visits, rafting, swimming and beach/swimming at the Shangri-La (free, just bring ID) which is just across the road, although takes about 25 mins on foot from the entrance to the beach. There are always cabs hovering if you don't want to walk. There's also some diving options at Shangri-La, including a shark feed dive. Best to bring your own mask/snorkel/fins for snorkelling as they charge for those - think it was about 20 FJD pp.

There seemed to be quite a lot of drivers in Sigatoka willing to take you around the sites for a very reasonable price. This seemed to be a better option than hiring a car (given the liability laws in Fiji and the crazy overtaking risks I saw), although you can easily hire a car too, either from Nadi airport or Sigatoka.

AC is a factor I looked for in all accommodation in Fiji and the room AC worked well. There is a bit of an art to it at night here - making sure of the correct setting (snow flake rather than auto), with the angle of the fan aimed fairly near to the head of the bed, to assist with evaporative cooling (as there is no ceiling fan in the room). I always slept well once I had worked out this combination and I'm someone who normally has difficulty staying asleep unless the room is cool. I also use silicone putty earplugs normally at night so I can't tell you if it is noisy. Certainly didn't seem to be noisy in the day.

The room itself is a decent size, clean, private and came with a queen and a single bed, which was good for us. The beds have castors. The walls between rooms are rock solid and sound does not carry.

There is a TV (cathode ray tube) with local stations and built in DV which worked fine. The resort has some DVDs of its own. A problem with this set up was the absence of a remote so you can't scroll a menu.

Security and safety were great. There's a small safe in the room if needed. Currency can be exchanged on site.

This is definitely ok for kids.

This is a pretty quiet place other than the dance nights and would suit people looking to unwind and mostly stay put or use as a base.

Its cheaper than renting in Oz in many places and not a bad option given the flight cost - 150-200 AUD Jetstar ex Sydney (carry on only) atm.

Bugs and critters - there are lots of little frogs hopping around the grounds, but this is normal in Fiji (saw bigger ones at Sofitel) and they are very quiet. A few wasps flew into our room when we left the screen door open for a few minutes, however they are docile and after switching off the lights in the room, they quickly flew back out. There are some mozzies around the pool area decking but easily repelled (If coming from Oz consider Bushman 80% DEET from chemists)

I think someone else put it aptly by saying Geckos was a bit like motel accommodation without the carpark in front of the rooms, yet that is not the full story as the rest of the place is not like a motel at all, being considerably more verdant, tropical and the grounds are very spacious, not to mention the facilities. The main picture on tripadvisor understates the value you get here.

The only grief I had was the water in the room smelled a bit off when I washed my clothes in the sink. I used cold power (FJD 1.95 a medium bag) and have used it in accommodation before and after Geckos so I know it is the water and not the detergent.

We used to own a property with tank water and discovered a dead bird in our tank sometime after noticing a similar smell. I don't know the setup at Geckos (didn't ask).

My partner got diarrhoea whilst here and I think it is likely she did so from drinking this water without boiling it. She was warned not to by me and others but paid no heed. Bottled water is supplied. The room comes with kettle, tea/coffee and UHT milk and I had no problem with drinking boiled water for hot beverages.

Weatherwise, this is the summertime in Fiji, which can be quite hot but not as ferocious as it can be in Oz. Comparable to Sydney, not harsh like the late day heat of Melbourne, Adelaide or central Australia, nor as sweltering as far north Qld, although is pretty humid.

Before coming I was a bit worried about downpours and cyclones but so far its rained about once, max twice a week and only once was there a day in which it rained heavily for a long time, which was on the south Coral coast. It did flood in Nadi at that time. Most of the time though, its blue skies and the wind is very welcome breeze, if anything.

So, all up, this is a great deal, unmatched at the price for what you get and that's from someone who spent a long time sifting the wheat from the chaff.

Please leave a good tip in the box at the counter when you go (there is a "christmas fund" style box like many hotels in Fiji). It is much appreciated and goes a long way here.

Vinaka vaka levu to all the staff and management at Geckos for a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Crusty P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Gecko's resort has some of the most welcoming employees that made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived. From helping us find a taxi to booking day trips, they were exemplary. Compared to busier resorts (with more guests), we never felt overcrowded or ignored. Prices were cheaper here than many competing resorts in the area, and the quality of the food was excellent. Also, the fire show on fridays and sundays is a must see; a lot of other guests from other resorts come here just for the show on those days. Only complaint was the wifi access is limited to one room and with spotty service (especially with more than 3 people with iphones/ipads in the room). However, it was nice to decompress and to live off the grid for the week. Thanks so much for a great stay!

Room Tip: -go to the spa at the end of the road rather than the spa at the resort -don't eat at shangri-l...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank cvddc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Bedarra Beach Inn
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Gecko's Resort? Share your experiences!