“You must go!!!!”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 30 March 2011

This place is fantastic. I have travelled a far bit and been to lots of lovely resorts but this was the first time i have travelled with kids. The resort is amazing for kids as well as adults. My 3 year old daughter pretty much lived in the pool and my 6 month old son loved the attention he got from everyone. I am normally a bit protective of people looking after my kids but i felt so comfortable with the nannies that i was happy to leave my son with them while we had breakfast and also dinner. Special thanks to Ruthie at Kids Club, my daughter fell in love with her and is still talking about her. I would also like to make special mention of Lasia, our butler, she was wonderful at her job and truly a lovely person in general. Even though i travelled with a young family i would still recommend this place to all travellers, i would even like to come back minus the kids. Well done Outrigger on the Lagoon it was a wonderful holiday. Vinaka

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Georgie71
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2011

Dear Georgie71
As the General Manager of Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, I received a lot of satisfaction from reading your review!
We have passed you comments onto Ruthie and Lasia! They were absolutely thrilled to be acknowledged!
I can fully understand why your daughter would have fallen in love with Ruthie – She is a very special person!
As you have stated, the Fijians are truly beautiful people and unbelievable with children! They love engaging with our guests and providing exceptional service!
Georgie71, once again we thank you for your positive feedback on the resort! We look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!

Reviewed 29 March 2011

We absolutely loved the Outrigger on the Lagoon. We arrived early in the evening and were welcomed with a lovely refreshing drink at reception. Upon seeing our room (Deluxe Ocean View), we were very pleased. The room was very clean and had a fantastic view. We had champagne and canapes delivered to our room every evening between 5 and 6, which was a really lovely touch.
Everybody in the hotel from Vanessa at reception to Epi and the other bar staff were absolutely fantastic. All the staff were very accommodating. The only slight disappointment was that, being on our first holiday without the children, we were given a room with two double beds as opposed to a king bed. Upon check in I thought this was standard but realised the room next door had a king bed. I suggest you request a king bed if that is what you are after as it made the sleep a bit uncomfrotable (my hubby is 6'4'') and the second bed was wasted ;).
There were some minor little things that got missed such as beach towels one day and a bath mat on another, but to be honest, we really didn't care because the attitude and the friendliness of the staff was second to none. If anybody let this type of thing ruin their holiday experience then they simply should not leave home.
The amenities and facilities were excellent. The only complaint I have is that my husband booked me in for a massage at the Bebe Spa and came up with me to wait for me while having a drink at the bar up there. We though, as we had not had a drink at that bar before, we would take advantage of the spectacular views from there and have a drink, with me meeting him there after my massage. He had one drink and some tapas and was then advised that he had to leave the bar as there was a private funciton on. When I came out of my massage he was in the waiting room and told me what had happened, but when we left to go back down to the resort, I saw a number of hotel guests in normal casual attired (suspect they were on the spa tour) that were up there enjoying a drink?? I was less than impressed and we never visited that bar again. Other than that one let-down, it was an awesome holiday.
Oh - and we organised a breakfast box on two occassions as we had early starts. It was very accommodating of the resort to arrange this (we were on a fully inclusive meal package - EXCELLENT idea), but it was quite funny because we were given two or three pieces of pastry, two pieces of fruit and a can of FANTA. I thought this was hilarious but no, we didn't drink the Fanta at 5.30am - bit too sweet for me.
I'll post some pics when I get a chance but I highly recommend the Outrigger on the Lagoon and if we ever go back to Fiji, this is the place we will return to.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

Dear MissyKafoops
A big Bula Vinaka to you also for taking the time to provide commentary on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the hospitality of our Fijian staff - They love coming to work and engaging with our guests! We will most certainly pass on your comments to Vanessa and Epeli!
We have noted your comments regarding the bedding configuration! We are happy to accommodate all requests for specific bedding requirements.
I sincerely apologise for the incident at the kalokalo bar! We have addressed this issue with the staff in this particular bar.
Missykafoops, once again we thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 28 March 2011

We stayed 8 days at the Outrigger in Feb..We had an amazing time, every aspect was brilliant.. Our children 5 and 7 had an incredible time in the kids club and the activities were plentiful even on a rainy day!! The Bure was amazing and the Talai Butler service provided that little bit of parental luxury and capped off brilliant days. The ease of just snorkelling off the shore and every activity you could want or as relaxed as you want it in the Bebe spa made it a paradise for us.. Highly recommended if you just want to chill out in one spot and soak in the the beautiful people and location of fiji.. Vinaka!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sassymuffetts

Dear Sassymuffets
We are delighted to read that you and your family had a wonderful holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
I believe that it is all the little extras we provide at Outrigger that sets us apart from our competitors! Our Talai (butler) service our meimei nannies and also our award winning Bebe Spa are all unique to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Obviously, our biggest asset are our wonderful staff!
Once again we thank you for your wonderful commentary and we look forward to the day when you return to our small piece of paradise!

Reviewed 27 March 2011

My husband and I spent 7 days at the outrigger and had a totally amazing time. My main aim was to just relax and leave the real world behind for the week and we certainly achieved that.
From the time we arrived we were overwhelmed with the level of genuine hospitality of the staff, they truely are amazing. It seemed to me that they felt it was their priviledge to be taking care of us, absolutely nothing was to much trouble for them.

I can't fault the resort as far as presentation. Before booking our holiday I had read reviews of people complaining about the state of the pool and general maintenance issues but I can honestly say it was immaculate. The gardens are manicured to perfection. My only negative was that the walkways are a bit slippery when wet.

Our room (ocean view deluxe) was serviced every day, and was spotless. The view was amazing and the bed was to die for.

One of the highlights of our stay was going to the rugby to support the team that the outrigger sponsors, lots of fun. We also went on the jetboat river safari tour and were taken to a small village to be greeted by the community and par take in a kava ceremony and provided with lunch prepared by the local women. Truely amazing day, well worth the $225 FJD.

Take the time to go snorkelling, it is a whole other world out there and we also went on the reef walk. Our guide, Joe, was extremely knowledgable and a genuinely nice guy. My husband went to the golf course on numerous occassions where Luke looked after him very well. The rest of the time we spent relaxing around the pool.

As many have said there are a couple of bars and resturants just 100metres up the beach which we went to a couple of times as my husband found it hard to find food that he liked (he is a meat and 3 veg type man) at the resort. It was unfortunate that the sundowner bar was closed due to renovations when we were there as I think that would have suited him better.

Our biggest regret was that we didn't go up to the bar on the hill until our last night. If we had realised how beautiful it was up there we would have made the effort every day at sunset, it is an absolute must.

The biggest asset to this resort is their staff. Vinaka, vinaka, vinaka for making our stay so perfect.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2011

Dear Lannylou
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
It sounds as though you have had a fantastic time!
The Fijian staff, at Outrigger on the Lagoon are absolutely wonderful - They love coming to work and engaging with our guests!
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your time at the rugby – It is a “must do” Fijian experience – Hakwa Nadro!
We apologise that our Sundowner Bar and Restaurant was closed – We are now only 5 weeks away from the completion of the new restaurant and we honestly believe that we will have the best bar and restaurant in Fiji!
I look forward to catching up with you at the Sundowner Bar when next you come and visit our beautiful resort!

Reviewed 25 March 2011

The Fijians really do try to make u happy - no matter what you're chosing to do with your time. Their smiles are honest and open and they look you in the eyes when they smile from their hearts. They adore children - which i noticed even on local buses in Nadi - and genuinely care about them.
Hotel had many activities to choose from so you had choices of joining in, or relaxing quietly.
Beach is coral so not the best for chillaxing on. You also need reef walking shoes if u fancy wading - lots of sharp rocks, coral and weeds.
Seemed a lot of families with young children liked the place too.
My partner and I have no children and we seeking some R&R, so were glad we were only there 5 days - bit noisy.
Would only give the room a 3star - bathroom had no privacy and quite dated.
Lovely service tho and made some new friends with some of the staff :).
Spa was good too - bit expensive but relaxing and much needed :))
Vinaka,
Ant & Trevor

Dear RadiAnt3
The team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, are absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with a relaxing holiday!
As you have stated, the Fijians are truly beautiful people! They love engaging with our guests and providing exceptional service!
We were pleased to note that you enjoyed the many and varied activities around the resort! There is plenty to do at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
RadiAnt3, once again we thank you for your positive feedback on the resort! We look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!

Reviewed 25 March 2011

We stayed at The Outrigger for 7 nights and chose this Fiji location after reading numerous reviews here. Previous Fiji holidays we had stayed @ Malolo Island (ordinary) and Sheraton Denaru (nice but not that Fiji) and wanted something different this time.

I agree with most reviewers here that it is a beautiful resort which caters for just about everything you really need. I won't go over all the same ground as many have before but hope to offer some insights on factors I didn't discover while researching this resort.

All in all the food was good. Breakfast buffet was only real option for this meal and for the price (about AU$20) per person was pretty good value with usual hot and cold selections. We liked the fresh juice bar and fruit smoothie which changed daily. Lunch choice again pretty limited to pool bar/cafe area as Sundowner closed under reno and no one in the Buffett Restaurant area (which isn't a buffett for lunch- cafe style and pretty uninviting dark enviroment). Much nicer round the pool /bar area. Again pretty good choice and at around AU$10-$13 for a burger/sandwich, light meal we thought fairly good value. Dinner options were fine dining IVY (very nice and not that expensive compared to Aust city restaurant prices budget about AU$50 per person) pool cafe area (nice Asian inspired meals for around AU$20 and pizza for around $15) or Tapas for about $12 a plate selection (and enough for a meal really). Probably only disappointment is the nightly buffet which offered a fairly limited choice of varying standard. At about AU$35 per person I just think better value paying a bit more at IVY or sharing some meals at Bavari pool cafe. Buffet just needs to be a bit more special to justify cost. And unless you want to eat a big breakie, big lunch and expensive buffet every day, I don't think meal plan worth it as meals are

Rooms
All rooms in this resort are nice. Entry level is resort view with deluxe ocean rooms the same room -just a level or two higher, ocean view above trees and added butler service with drinks service each night (if they remember). We stayed in deluxe and enjoyed the view and drinks each afternoon but had to call on a couple of occasions as drinks went missing. Not that big a deal just indicative of varying standards of service depending on who you get. Bures are similar layout just in amongst resort grounds or beachfront -expensive and in this resort beach nothing to get excited about. Having stayed at resorts all around the world i think unless you really want the novelty of a bure, stick to an ocean deluxe and save some $$. On subject of the beach, not as bad as some reviewers make out, just don't expect much. if you can live with "the beach" at Denaru you will actually be pleasently surprised by Outrigger beach for a walk or quick snorkle.

Spa
Special note for the Bebe spa. Do yourself a favour and have at least one treatment. really is a lovely experience and we got a 2-4-1 deal so only about AU$40 each for a massage etc. Then upstairs to the spa bar for a cocktail on sunset overlooking entire area, great treat.

like most of Fiji -get used to Fiji time and you will be fine. HOWEVER Management do need to pay just a bit more attention to a few things and then they would be close to really earning their 5 stars. Most staff are good, some brilliant, but a few just don't want to be there and walk around miserable spoiling the vibe. One in particular at the pool bar. Just do yourself a favour and if you someone in a green bamboo leaf woven hat in your area, just order off someone else.That way you just might get your meal while still on holiday.

Also not sure what can be done but tiles around pool lethal slippery. My son slipped and crashed onto his back about 5 times during the week (walking not running) and on the 2nd day we witnessed a small boy taken to hospital after a similar incident. Activity staff were helpful and quick to attend to this boy but no attempt by anyone to do anything about slippery tiles. i expect a regular occurance so not much can be done short of resealing/coating, although I am sure Outrigger Snr Mgt will act after a few US style lawsuits. Same with any exposed walkways during rai, very slippery, wrong surfacing used (painted concrete) and many slips witnessed. At least here they cover themselves with caution signs every 3 metres. doesn't help your back, but means they cant be sued.

Despite these few issues Outrigger is a lovely resort and worthy of your holiday. Plan well and you will avoid/minimise the few management/service dissapointments, enjoy a lovely location with mostly great staff (particularly activity and spa) and with the strong aussie $ get a wonderful value holiday.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DWSURFIN_11

Bula DWSurfin_11
The team were delighted to hear that you and your family had a wonderful holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon .Fiji.
Thank you for your kind compliments in relation to our food and beverage outlets! We are very proud of the quality of food that we serve in all of our restaurants!
We have also noted your wonderful comments in regards to the Bebe Spa – This is a must do for both ladies and men!
We have addressed the issue in relation to the service from the staff member with the woven bamboo hat – We apologise for this occurrence!
We have also taken steps to apply a non-slip service to our pool surrounds!
DWSurfin_11, as previously stated, the team are absolutely thrilled that we could deliver such a memorable holiday experience!
Hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 25 March 2011

My partner and I just returned from Outrigger yesterday and I wanted to write a review while it was fresh. We are both in our twenties (he is 28 and I'm 21) and we were amazed every single day. If you're looking for a place to party til 4am - this is not the place for you. If you're looking for somewhere to relax and just forget about life (which is what we wanted) - then you've found the perfect spot. We stayed during the tailend of the cyclone/rainy season. There were a few showers that lasted 15 minutes at the most. It was cloudy most days but it would usually clear up before lunchtime. Rest assured, we returned home with extremely noticeable tans!

The staff were just brilliant, incredibly friendly throughout our stay and always greeted you with 'Bula!'. We stayed in the Deluxe Ocean View room and arrived just in time for our Talai butler service - so lovely after a day in the sun. Our butler was Serameia (unsure of spelling). She was fantastic, friendly and always smiling.

The food was good - it would have been nice to see some Fijian food served at Baravi Bar but they did serve it in the Buffet restaurant, so this was our own fault for not going there. The food was reasonably priced, the same as at home. Everywhere you go there are serenaders, and they are truly beautiful singers. I could sit and listen to them for hours!

The service by the pool was fantastic! We made friends with Aporosa (one of the waiters at Baravi Bar) and could not say enough nice things about him. We made friends with him as he always stopped to chat. We even exchanged emails to keep in touch! We made sure to make our way down to the pool on the day we left to say goodbye to him.

Do not go to Outrigger expecting white sandy beaches. You will be disappointed. If you do want to see this - go to the islands (we went on a daycruise to Castaway Island and fell in love!) However, it is still beautiful to see and the pool makes up for it more than enough. I loved the activities especially the pool and beach volleyball (don't worry if you can't play very well - the staff are like professionals!) I enjoyed buying jewellery from the women who sold arts and crafts, we also brought back a love statue handcrafted by one of the carpenters in the resort. He took the time to explain what each carving represents and it really is beautiful.

BeBe Spa was incredible. From the moment you arrive you are completely relaxed and pampered. We had some tapas at Kaloko Bar and the view is just breathtaking. It was also nice to be in the presence of adults only!

There were only a few cons as there are on any trip.

*It's quite a trip to the airport (2 hours) or Denaru port (1.5 hrs)- but can be cut short by arranging a private car rather than transfer.
* The Sundowner Bar was closed for renovation (obviously this could not helped). This is the bar by the beach. It would have been fantastic to drink cocktails and watch the sunset in the afternoon.
*We woke up the last couple of mornings with bites on our bodies. I'm not sure if it was insects from the door being open or bed bugs (room 625). It was nothing nasty - just a few bites that itched for a bit then you didn't notice them. Nothing nasty but should probably be checked out.
*There were kids everywhere! Fantastic for families, not so much for a young couple.It's hard to eat your dinner when there are kids and babies screaming at the table behind or next to you. However, it is a family friendly resort so obviously that's why. It would be nice if there was a place where it was adults only but still with the casual feel (I realise that there were a few places where people didn't take their kids, but we liked to be in the open by the water).

Other than that - you are truly in paradise! So take it all in and relax on Fiji time!

Dear AprilK89
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you and your partner had a wonderful, relaxing time at the resort!
It sounds like you had an unbelievable treatment at Bebe Spa – I am not sure if you were aware that the Bebe Spa is rated as the number one spa in the South Pacific!
Thank you for also mentioning Aporosa in your commentary! We have passed your comments onto him! He is a delightful young man who is also a very talented footballer!
AprilK89, I can guarantee to you 100% that we do not have bed bugs at the resort! It sounds as though you were bitten by several flying insects! We have thoroughly checked room 625 and there was no evidence of bed bugs?????
We were pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy all of the activities available at the resort – It is all about fun at Outrigger on the Lagoon!
The whole team thank you for your wonderful commentary and we look forward to the day when you return to our small piece of paradise!
Peter Hopgood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!