“Very friendly, great location, recommended, but NOT 5 star” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Melbourne, Australia
“Very friendly, great location, recommended, but NOT 5 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

Beautiful resort. I loved the gardens which were well tended and inhabited by ground frogs and fish. I loved the lagoon, even with all the shells and coral - in fact I really liked the beachcomber experience. The lagoon itself was awesome! Snorkelling was great. Shame the fellow with the 2 wheelbarrows racking up excess debris couldn't be afforded a small vehicle to help him wih the job. The sunsets were beautiful. There were no gulls or hawkers to bother you. The staff were welcoming and so friendly - the look you in the eye with sincere smiles kind've friendly. It was a bit contagious as I found other guests more friendly than other places I've holidayed. I loved the evening firelighting ceremony. The rooms are lovely, though not quite 5 star given the average bathroom. Shower over bath with curtain an rubber tub mat is not 5 star IMO. Ants inhabiting the inside of unopened sugar satchels also not up to expected standard - this was not just in the room. The internet cafe was also not what I'd consider 5 star. 5 laptops on a bench in a line very close together. No private surfing unless you bring your own computer and pay for it from your room.. Also no printer access - you have to email the Duty Manager if you want anything printed and then if he/she has problems receiving or opening your email they don't let you know. Frustrating. Even backpackers have better computer facilities and service than that. Our television didn't work properly and kept switching on and off. We reported this Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.... finally someone came and fixed it on the Monday..... TV wasn't something we were big into, but a couple of nights we wanted to watch a movie but couldn't. The point is, the service was bad and not 5 star. Finally, the staff just walk in if you don't have the Privacy Please I'm sleeping sign on the door. I'd gotten back from a tour late afternoon and was dripping wet from the rain. I started to get changed to head out again for a happy hour beer when some staff member just opened our door and started to walk in, no knocking. We didn't see each other directly as I was sitting to the side on the bed, but he must've seen me half nakedin the mirror, as he muttered a quick "sorry" and rushed out. My roomie looked out the door but he was gone, or hiding round the corner probably embarressed.
Breakfast was good. So much good food! The staff are creative cooks/chefs. The evening buffet dinners were fabulous too. For a light dinner Tappas at the lounge bar are very good... stick around for a small live band and half priced cocktails at 9pm. The other restaurants and bar didn't really seem special in any way at all. One was being renovated, so can't comment on that. Room service was good, a tad slow and not always hot enough.
Water was insanely expensive. Go into Sigatoka town and get it for a 3rd of the price.
Overall, highly recommended, but a good tad short of 5 star I think.

Room Tip: Choose between peace or views.
  • Stayed March 2011
3 Thank Work2Liiiive
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Bula Work2Liiiive
The team were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon .Fiji.
Thank you for your kind compliments in relation to our food and beverage outlets! We are very proud of the quality of food that we serve in all of our restaurants! Your recommendation in choosing our Tapas menu in the Vakavanua Lounge is a great idea if you do not wish to have a big meal!
We have noted your comments in regards to the Internet Service – Hopefully by the middle of this year we will have these facilities upgraded!
I was quite shocked to hear that one of our staff had walked into your room unannounced! If you could send me the details of the date and time to gm@outriggerfiji.com.fj I will personally further investigate this matter! This is certainly not the normal service we would expect from our staff! I must also apologise for the tardy service in getting your TV repaired? We have addressed this issue with our engineering team. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the snorkeling in the lagoon at the front of the hotel – This is one of the many activities available at the resort!
Work2Liiiive, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!
Peter Hopgood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (925)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

We stayed in an ocean view suite with an adjoining join for our two children. Very nice, very clean and no insects inside. Presentation was spot on with friendly housekeeping, talai service and turn down service. What I was most impressed with was the number of activities on every day (water aerobics, volleyball and snorkelling was great) and there are small musical groups everywhere. The "Powerpoint Jazz Band" was by far my favourite. I loved that there were plenty of pool towels in the room as we spent most of our time in the pool/bar area. Must note that air conditioning did not work at all in the adjoining room for the kids and although we did report this, it was not looked into at all. As we had the doors open between the rooms most of the time it was not a big drama. We did not leave the resort at all and local women sell their "wares" everywhere. Unfortunately they all sell the same things at the same prices which was dissapointing, it would have been nice to have more variety. Still cheaper to buy at the resort than the airport by a long shot. If you are buying ciggs and alcohol do not buy at Brisbane Airport, loads cheaper in Fiji. I used the "kids club" and found it to be very good. The nanny service looked great too. It takes 1hour and 45 mins to get to this resort so DO NOT get the bus that stops at every resort as that takes 2.5 hours. The buffet is very convenient, so we had this every morning and night - the night time buffet is really very average, it is certainly no "Conrad Jupiters" buffet. Breakfast was good and the lunch menu that was freshly made was very good.

Room Tip: Ocean view suites very nice
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Dear BrisbaneNo1
The team were delighted to hear that you enjoyed all of the activities that we had available at the resort! There is certainly plenty to do at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
We are also pleased that you enjoyed the many and varied styles of entertainment on offer! The Fijians are natural musicians and we currently have 3 troupes of serenaders wandering around the resort keeping our guests entertained! We have also commenced “jazz on the lawn” on Sundays!
We apologise for the inconvenience of your air conditioner not working! We have addressed this area of concern with the relevant staff members!
We were pleased to note that you were able to purchase several items from the village ladies! I am not sure if you were aware that all monies raised from these sales are used by the families in the local villages!
I highly recommend to all visitors coming to Outrigger on the Lagoon. Fiji to look at the option of a private transfer from Nadi International Airport to the resort! It takes only one hour and 10 minutes and costs AUD$75 per vehicle ( 4 pax).
BrisbaneNo1, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
We look forward to the day when you and your family all return to our beautiful part of the world!
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

This place is fantastic. I have travelled a far bit and been to lots of lovely resorts but this was the first time i have travelled with kids. The resort is amazing for kids as well as adults. My 3 year old daughter pretty much lived in the pool and my 6 month old son loved the attention he got from everyone. I am normally a bit protective of people looking after my kids but i felt so comfortable with the nannies that i was happy to leave my son with them while we had breakfast and also dinner. Special thanks to Ruthie at Kids Club, my daughter fell in love with her and is still talking about her. I would also like to make special mention of Lasia, our butler, she was wonderful at her job and truly a lovely person in general. Even though i travelled with a young family i would still recommend this place to all travellers, i would even like to come back minus the kids. Well done Outrigger on the Lagoon it was a wonderful holiday. Vinaka

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Georgie71
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Dear Georgie71
As the General Manager of Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, I received a lot of satisfaction from reading your review!
We have passed you comments onto Ruthie and Lasia! They were absolutely thrilled to be acknowledged!
I can fully understand why your daughter would have fallen in love with Ruthie – She is a very special person!
As you have stated, the Fijians are truly beautiful people and unbelievable with children! They love engaging with our guests and providing exceptional service!
Georgie71, once again we thank you for your positive feedback on the resort! We look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

We absolutely loved the Outrigger on the Lagoon. We arrived early in the evening and were welcomed with a lovely refreshing drink at reception. Upon seeing our room (Deluxe Ocean View), we were very pleased. The room was very clean and had a fantastic view. We had champagne and canapes delivered to our room every evening between 5 and 6, which was a really lovely touch.
Everybody in the hotel from Vanessa at reception to Epi and the other bar staff were absolutely fantastic. All the staff were very accommodating. The only slight disappointment was that, being on our first holiday without the children, we were given a room with two double beds as opposed to a king bed. Upon check in I thought this was standard but realised the room next door had a king bed. I suggest you request a king bed if that is what you are after as it made the sleep a bit uncomfrotable (my hubby is 6'4'') and the second bed was wasted ;).
There were some minor little things that got missed such as beach towels one day and a bath mat on another, but to be honest, we really didn't care because the attitude and the friendliness of the staff was second to none. If anybody let this type of thing ruin their holiday experience then they simply should not leave home.
The amenities and facilities were excellent. The only complaint I have is that my husband booked me in for a massage at the Bebe Spa and came up with me to wait for me while having a drink at the bar up there. We though, as we had not had a drink at that bar before, we would take advantage of the spectacular views from there and have a drink, with me meeting him there after my massage. He had one drink and some tapas and was then advised that he had to leave the bar as there was a private funciton on. When I came out of my massage he was in the waiting room and told me what had happened, but when we left to go back down to the resort, I saw a number of hotel guests in normal casual attired (suspect they were on the spa tour) that were up there enjoying a drink?? I was less than impressed and we never visited that bar again. Other than that one let-down, it was an awesome holiday.
Oh - and we organised a breakfast box on two occassions as we had early starts. It was very accommodating of the resort to arrange this (we were on a fully inclusive meal package - EXCELLENT idea), but it was quite funny because we were given two or three pieces of pastry, two pieces of fruit and a can of FANTA. I thought this was hilarious but no, we didn't drink the Fanta at 5.30am - bit too sweet for me.
I'll post some pics when I get a chance but I highly recommend the Outrigger on the Lagoon and if we ever go back to Fiji, this is the place we will return to.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2011
Dear MissyKafoops
A big Bula Vinaka to you also for taking the time to provide commentary on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the hospitality of our Fijian staff - They love coming to work and engaging with our guests! We will most certainly pass on your comments to Vanessa and Epeli!
We have noted your comments regarding the bedding configuration! We are happy to accommodate all requests for specific bedding requirements.
I sincerely apologise for the incident at the kalokalo bar! We have addressed this issue with the staff in this particular bar.
Missykafoops, once again we thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!
Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

We stayed 8 days at the Outrigger in Feb..We had an amazing time, every aspect was brilliant.. Our children 5 and 7 had an incredible time in the kids club and the activities were plentiful even on a rainy day!! The Bure was amazing and the Talai Butler service provided that little bit of parental luxury and capped off brilliant days. The ease of just snorkelling off the shore and every activity you could want or as relaxed as you want it in the Bebe spa made it a paradise for us.. Highly recommended if you just want to chill out in one spot and soak in the the beautiful people and location of fiji.. Vinaka!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sassymuffetts
Dear Sassymuffets
We are delighted to read that you and your family had a wonderful holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
I believe that it is all the little extras we provide at Outrigger that sets us apart from our competitors! Our Talai (butler) service our meimei nannies and also our award winning Bebe Spa are all unique to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Obviously, our biggest asset are our wonderful staff!
Once again we thank you for your wonderful commentary and we look forward to the day when you return to our small piece of paradise!
Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

My husband and I spent 7 days at the outrigger and had a totally amazing time. My main aim was to just relax and leave the real world behind for the week and we certainly achieved that.
From the time we arrived we were overwhelmed with the level of genuine hospitality of the staff, they truely are amazing. It seemed to me that they felt it was their priviledge to be taking care of us, absolutely nothing was to much trouble for them.

I can't fault the resort as far as presentation. Before booking our holiday I had read reviews of people complaining about the state of the pool and general maintenance issues but I can honestly say it was immaculate. The gardens are manicured to perfection. My only negative was that the walkways are a bit slippery when wet.

Our room (ocean view deluxe) was serviced every day, and was spotless. The view was amazing and the bed was to die for.

One of the highlights of our stay was going to the rugby to support the team that the outrigger sponsors, lots of fun. We also went on the jetboat river safari tour and were taken to a small village to be greeted by the community and par take in a kava ceremony and provided with lunch prepared by the local women. Truely amazing day, well worth the $225 FJD.

Take the time to go snorkelling, it is a whole other world out there and we also went on the reef walk. Our guide, Joe, was extremely knowledgable and a genuinely nice guy. My husband went to the golf course on numerous occassions where Luke looked after him very well. The rest of the time we spent relaxing around the pool.

As many have said there are a couple of bars and resturants just 100metres up the beach which we went to a couple of times as my husband found it hard to find food that he liked (he is a meat and 3 veg type man) at the resort. It was unfortunate that the sundowner bar was closed due to renovations when we were there as I think that would have suited him better.

Our biggest regret was that we didn't go up to the bar on the hill until our last night. If we had realised how beautiful it was up there we would have made the effort every day at sunset, it is an absolute must.

The biggest asset to this resort is their staff. Vinaka, vinaka, vinaka for making our stay so perfect.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 March 2011
Dear Lannylou
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
It sounds as though you have had a fantastic time!
The Fijian staff, at Outrigger on the Lagoon are absolutely wonderful - They love coming to work and engaging with our guests!
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your time at the rugby – It is a “must do” Fijian experience – Hakwa Nadro!
We apologise that our Sundowner Bar and Restaurant was closed – We are now only 5 weeks away from the completion of the new restaurant and we honestly believe that we will have the best bar and restaurant in Fiji!
I look forward to catching up with you at the Sundowner Bar when next you come and visit our beautiful resort!
Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

The Fijians really do try to make u happy - no matter what you're chosing to do with your time. Their smiles are honest and open and they look you in the eyes when they smile from their hearts. They adore children - which i noticed even on local buses in Nadi - and genuinely care about them.
Hotel had many activities to choose from so you had choices of joining in, or relaxing quietly.
Beach is coral so not the best for chillaxing on. You also need reef walking shoes if u fancy wading - lots of sharp rocks, coral and weeds.
Seemed a lot of families with young children liked the place too.
My partner and I have no children and we seeking some R&R, so were glad we were only there 5 days - bit noisy.
Would only give the room a 3star - bathroom had no privacy and quite dated.
Lovely service tho and made some new friends with some of the staff :).
Spa was good too - bit expensive but relaxing and much needed :))
Vinaka,
Ant & Trevor

Dear RadiAnt3
The team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, are absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with a relaxing holiday!
As you have stated, the Fijians are truly beautiful people! They love engaging with our guests and providing exceptional service!
We were pleased to note that you enjoyed the many and varied activities around the resort! There is plenty to do at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
RadiAnt3, once again we thank you for your positive feedback on the resort! We look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Peter Hopgood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,932 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!