“I will be back as soon as I can !!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Canberra, Australia
“I will be back as soon as I can !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

I have always wanted to go to Fiji and staying at the Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji was the best place!
The service was fantastic, the people are amazing and the activities at the resort are endless. There is something to do for all age groups and I will definitely be going back to stay at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji !!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 April 2011
Dear Kresto
We are thrilled that you have decided to come back as soon as you can!
The team were delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! They all send to you a very warm “Bula”
As you have stated there are plenty of activities to keep you busy or alternatively you can just chill out and relax by the pool!
We look forward to your return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji at some time in the not too distant future!
Peter Hopgood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Werribee, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

I stayed at the Outrigger for 8 days, receiving a great deal including breakfast each day. Fiji itself wasn't as great to see but arriving at the resort was fabulous. I was greeted in a friendly manner by the porters and receptionist and was offered cold iced beverages from a 2 hour bus trip to the resort. After checking in, we were given a map and directed to our rooms by the porter. All we wanted to do was to relax and swim all day. The massive pool was warm daily and we enjoyed swimming at night, being serviced cocktails by the pool. Housekeepers did a great job cleaning our rooms & offered us new linen daily. We enjoyed room service, daily morning pool activities and enjoyed the cocktail bar with live music. Overall the service was fantastic with very friendly staff! On our last day at breakfast, the wait staff sang us a farwell song which topped it off for us!... Definitely recommend it to those interested in good weather, swimming & great food!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank melitaPilat1990
Dear melitapilat1990
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
The team were delighted to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing and sun filled holiday at our beautiful resort!
We are also pleased to note that you enjoyed the many and varied styles of restaurants and food outlets that are available!
We are extremely excited at the resort as we now have only 10 days to go before our new Sundowner Bar and Grill opens!
Melitapilat1990, once again we thank you for your wonderful comments!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji at some time in the not too distant future!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

Where to begin... After dramas with flightcentre we took it upon ourselves to do the bookings, initially staying at the Warwick Fiji and Spa - After a few phone calls because their online site wouldn't take the credit card and the rudeness of these phone calls we looked else where and this hotel was mentioned to us by flightcentre (only useful thing they did!) Outrigger accepted the card and made hassle free payment (HOORAY)!

Flew out on the 31st March from Sydney and .. Wow what a difference the people arent fake but genuine! The warmth of the Fijians can be noted on arrival with a surprise in the airport which I wont ruin for the rest of you.

Upon arrival at the Outrigger you are in for a treat with the warm guard who WILL make you welcome upon entry, and the staff on arrival couldn't take our bags fast enough which was a complete surprise to me. The service was prompt fast and efficient and I have to say I heard about Fijian time but check in was believably fast and efficient - thank you to our check lady selena(?) for the upgrade being it was to celebrate my 21st. Talai service with Koroi was again an utmost delight - he was knowledgeable fast warm and efficient - Our buttler Apisai (sorry for the spelling) but your names will never be forgotten! Was always on time if not before time and the little surprise treat you and the staff did for my birthday really made me have a deep connection for fiji (it only took me 10yrs to get to fiji finally) The head porter was efficient although we saw little of him during our short 3 days stay he did make an impact as his son shared the same birthdate as myself!

I could write a 4000 page essay on why to stay here but from reception to the pool bar with a very special warm waitress, everything is great. The ones who fault this place expect 7 star services - to me it was 10star I read the negative reviews and they are people whining about nothing. Make sure you do a local tour village and try carva with Uncle Jim and Tim - the warmth of fiji will never be forgotten and we look forward to returning.

I would like to provide management with a list of staff that made the experience exceptional - not that 1 member didnt!

One thing I was humbly touched by is the staff work for about $3/hr (our taxi driver told us) and yet they are BETTER than those in sydney that work for $20+!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 April 2011
Dear Travelbug_2011_123
Greetings from the isle of smiles and the staff at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
The team were thrilled to read that you had a wonderful 21st celebration at our beautiful resort! - They all send you a very warm “Bula”
We are delighted that you enjoyed the warm friendly nature of our staff – We honestly believe that they are the best, not just in Fiji, but anywhere in the world!
We have passed your correspondence onto the staff mentioned in your commentary.
Hopefully you can come back and celebrate your 22nd birthday with us again next year!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

Our family just returned from 8 nights at the Outrigger Resort yesterday. We went with a group of 10 (7 adults, an 8 year old, 3 year old and a 16 month old). Unfortunately, two of our family had to return home on the 2nd day of our stay due to illness. The Outrigger was approx 1-1.5hours drive from the airport. The "BULA" from the front gate and smiles from Jese at reception were great. We stayed in the superior garden view room which was so quiet. We never heard any other guests or music from the restaurants or bars. The bed (king size) was to die for! It was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. We weren't to keen on the shower/bath combo with the shower curtain, however, the water pressure in the shower was lovely. We didn't spend much time in our room, so the garden room was the perfect choice for us. If you stay up in the main building, be aware that it is a huge walk down (and up) to the pool/beach/restaurants etc. One comment I should make is that the pathways are EXTREMELY slippery. My son slipped more than 10 times in the 8 days we were there.

Three of us had treatments (Balinese massage) at the Bebe spa, it really is worth every cent! The best massage I've ever had, and the view is so beautiful. Very relaxing, a definate MUST DO! We also did the local village tour, we are so glad we did. Please help the village and go (also buy a necklace or sarong from them) they look forward to sharing their village life with you.

Some of the meals were good (butter chicken at Baravi and Pizza), others were only ok (but we aren't buffet people though). I must mention that if you have children with severe food allergies (as we have two who can't eat egg), remind the staff of their specific needs EVERY time you order. We had one incident where my son had an allergic reaction after eating a toasted cheese/tomato sandwich. I also asked a waitress on arrival which foods on the children's menu contained egg, and I got some very strange answers...surely grilled chicken doesn't have egg? Also, I was told that the ice cream had egg. Which was fine as there is also a New Zealand icecreamery by the pool (which my children have had before). But when I went to order, the staff there also told me all of the ice cream had egg! I requested that they check the ingredients (they didn't) and I was again told that it has EGG! So I no ice cream for my kids!

The best meal that we had was the tapas at the Vakavanua lounge. Very reasonably priced and tasty. The bar staff in there should be commended on their service and friendly smiles. The female staff member (forgotten her name, sorry!) even remembered our order from the previous night and asked if we wanted the same again. That was great!

My huband and children really enjoyed the snorkelling. I preferred the kayaking myself. Remember your reef shoes as there's lots of coral on the beach. The man in the blue overalls worked tirelessly to rake up the broken coral and ensure that the beach was as clean as possible. Please thank him, as I do feel that his job goes unnoticed. The entire time we were at the Outrigger we barely saw any gardeners, but the grounds were immaculate! The waterfalls and ponds with waterlillies were so beautiful. It was the highlight of our walk to and from our room each day.

Our children went to Kids Club at night time 7-9pm. They grew fond of Tasha, Maria and Ana who kept them highly entertained and were so much fun. Like many others, our children were begging to go to kids club each night. Thankyou to all of the fabulous staff!

One place we REALLY wanted to visit was the Kalo Kalo bar up on top of the hill. This was a HUGE disappointment during our stay. Not because we didn't like it, but because we were never allowed up there! On our first attempt we put the kids into kids club at 7pm (no children allowed in that bar) got all the way up to the lobby where we were told "The bar's closed". Literature we had received told us the bar hours were 12 midday-8pm. When I questioned this we were told the bar hours were 11am-7pm? On our second attempt, we did the champagne tour of the spa/bar and thought we could stay up there for a drink. We (again) didn't get to see the bar as it was "closed for a private function". But also during our champagne tour, they told us the bar hours were 12 midday-9pm??? Reception later told us the bar closes at 8:30pm??? On our final attempt, we once again put the kids into kids club, got all the way to the lobby and were told....you guessed it "CLOSED FOR A PRIVATE FUNCTION!" We were so disappointed as all we wanted was one hour up there to have a drink together as a family (without children). Sadly we never made it to the bar any other time.
Lastly, I would definately recommend the Outrigger for families. It's great for the children and the staff really do make this place what it is. There is something for everyone. Even with a few little hiccups during our stay, we would most definatley return. Thankyou to all of the staff that made our stay so special. A special thanks to the girls in the Takia Cafe up in the lobby, your coffee and milkshakes (icecream free) were heaven each day!
Vinaka

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RoJac_11
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Dear Rojac_11
The team were thrilled to read your expansive commentary on Trip Advisor!
They all send you a very warm “Bula”
We are delighted that you enjoyed the many and varied facilities at the resort! It sounds as though your “Balinese Massage” was exceptional!
We have noted your comments regarding food allergies! As a rule our team are very pro-active in this area! As a tip to all readers of trip advisor, please make sure you inform the resort of any special dietary requirements – Once advised the kitchen teams can make all of the necessary arrangements!
We have also noted comments relating to the tiles by the pool! Whilst we have already addressed this issue, our contractor is returning to the resort to slip-proof this area!
Rojac_11, once again we thank you for providing an overview of your recent visit to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We look forward to the day when you and the family return to our beautiful resort!
Alice Springs, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

I really can't say enough about the Outrigger in Fiji. I've never met such a large group of friendly people in my life. As we were pulling up we were greeted by the nicest people welcoming us there and that never let up. The food was very good. They had various themes for their dinners therefore there were some I liked more than others just due to my personal preference (don't miss the Mexican theme night.......AWESOME). We took our 3 year old son with us and he loved kids club. I almost felt bad taking him away from the kids club on occasion. He wanted to stay as long as he could. We did use the Mei Mei service. I'm sure all the ladies are wonderful however we had Kini for our service and really can't imagine anybody doing a better job than her. She was awesome. Our son loved her and she really seemed to enjoy spending time with him. There were 2 gentlemen working the bar by the pool that were just a pleasure to be around. Joe and Kameli. Our son got sick and was laid up in bed for a bit so I went to the pool bar to order lunch and take it back to the room but Joe would not allow me to take the food myself. Once my food was ready he hand delivered it to our room himself. If there was anything I could add to make this trip even greater it would have been more poolside activities. Maybe more pool volleyball or adding water polo or something. I only say this because I love love love pool activities. I could participate in poolside activities all day. The biggest downside about vacationing at the Outrigger is it has to come to an end. This resort blew away out expectation. Through word of mouth we knew it was a great resort and had high expectation however the Outrigger has set a new standard to what I now expect in vacation resorts. I will be sharing our experience at the Outrigger with all of our friends. I hope we get to see you all again soon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear Kemnitzre
We are delighted to read that you and your family had a wonderful holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
It is one thing to build expectations, but to exceed these expectations brings a lot of satisfaction to our team!
I believe that it is all the little extras we provide at Outrigger that sets us apart from our competitors! Our Talai (butler) service our meimei nannies and also our award winning Bebe Spa are all unique to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your wonderful comments on Kini! She is an absolute treat and all of the young children fall in love with her!
We have noted your comments in relation to poolside activities and we are currently undertaking a review of this area of our operation!
Once again we thank you for your wonderful commentary and we look forward to the day when you return to our small piece of paradise!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

My husband and myself stayed at the Outrigger for our fiftith Wedding anniversary, and we were treated soo special it was a wonderfulday, thanks to our lovely butler Loata and the staff who came to our room with a cake and sang a special song to us it was lovely.
Loved our room and the King bed was really comfortable we stayed in a deluxe ocean view close to pool and restaraunts, very handy.
The food was to die for and sooo much of it,and different theme nights were great.
This is the first time we have been to Fiji and the Outrigger, the people are so friendly and happy and we loved the Bula man at the main gate.
We will be back. we would recommend this resort to anyone. Just loved our stay.
Thanks all.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear BCP070
A big Bula Vinaka to you for taking the time to provide commentary on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your 15th wedding anniversary at our beautiful resort! We will most certainly pass your comments onto Loata!
Our talai “butler” service is unique to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji and a service that we are very proud of!
We are also pleased that you enjoyed the warm friendly nature of our staff!
BCP070, once again we thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to our wonderful resort at some time in the not too distant future!
Maleny, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

My husband and I have just returned from Fiji staying at The Outrigger (stayed at The Reef 27 years ago) and two other hotels over a period of two weeks we loved The Outrigger. Staff fabulous, most still in "Fijian Time" this we were thrilled about, room great, Talai service a lovely touch, incredible to see that a few original staff were still there including Oona a wonderful asset. We were fortunate to be invited to cocktail party at the Kalokalo Bar.....stunning views......a meet and greet with Management and a cross section of guests, great PR!!! We went from The Outrigger to lovely hotel on Denarau.....big mistake for us we found it far too Westernised we could have been in any 5 star hotel in the world, Hawaii, Florida but was not the real Fiji. At The Outrigger also loved the fact that you can have other choices outside the hotel if you want by taking a short stroll. Visited Malevu village near the hotel, took Kava root for the Chief and met some locals who also work at the hotel. Fabulous holiday, will definately be back and will highly recommend to family and friends.
Lydgatelass

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lydgatelass
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Bula Lydgatelass
The team were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon .Fiji.
We totally concur with your comments in regards to the authentic Fiji nature of our beautiful resort – Our tag line is “Where traditional Fiji village meets 5 star luxury”
There are still quite a number of original staff from the Reef Hotel days - 36 in fact!
It sounds like you had a lot of fun with our local villagers – This is a part of the beauty of the location of the Outrigger resort on the Coral Coast – We are tucked in between Malevu and Korotoga villages.
Lydgatelass, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future! Hopefully sooner than another 27 years!
Peter Hopgood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,901 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!