“A great family resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Christchurch, New Zealand
“A great family resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

My partner and my two children have recently returned from 6 nights at the Outrigger. It is definitely worth the 75 minute drive from Nadi. Upon arrival we were upgraded into a Ocean Breeze Bure. The Bure was a good size, really clean and tidy and the best thing about it was its close proximatey to the beach and pool . We enjoyed a very lazy holiday and basically lounged by the pool all day and did a lot of swimming. The restaurants were all great (you must get a fillet steak in the Sundowner), food of a high standard and the service staff in the restaurants were really friendly and welcoming. Part of our package deal was 4 days of MeiMei (nanny) service. We signed up for this but quickly realised that the kids were expected to be with the Nanny for 8 hours every day. My girls are 8 and just wanted to be by the pool and swimming so we flagged that. In hindsight it would have been better for the girls to come and go from the kids club as and when they wanted to as opposed to having a dedicated nanny. The MeiMei service would be much better suited to those travelling with babies and todlers. My partner and I used the gym. It was well equipped and maintained. We had such a lovely time I am reluctant to mention the negatives but...... We had one pool waitress whose english was so bad she couldnt write down an order. On two occassions I had to rewrite the order docket when it was given to me to sign because what I had ordered and what was written down were to completely different things. The biggest disappointment to me was the music volume coming from the cocktail bar at night. This got progressively louder from about 11pm and woke my family. On the Saturday night it was particulary bad and went on until about 2am. I think this is really unacceptable at a resort that is full of families with small children. I appreciate that there were weddings most days that we were there but for the sake of all the guests at the resort (and not just a handful) the music should be killed by midnight. I asked to speak to the manager about this but no-one fronted.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Bula TwiggyW
Greetings and a very big “Bula Vinaka” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We thank you for your review! I was delighted to read that you, your husband and your two girls had such a memorable holiday.
We have noted your comment in regards to young lady serving you around the pool, not being able to speak English – We apologise for this occurrence and we have taken the appropriate action. We have also addressed the issue in relation to the volume of music coming from the Vakavanua Lounge!
Thank you for your wonderful comments relating to our restaurants – We rate our restaurants as the best in Fiji!
TwiggyW, once again we thank you for your comments. Hopefully we will see you again at some time in the not too distant future.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

Peter and the staff at the Outrigger were fantastic, from the time you entered the resort it was just like going home. They were so friendly and helpful you could not ask for more. Food and service was excellent, you could not want for more. We will be recommending the Outrigger to everyone we know that are looking to go to Fiji for a holiday. They just seem to go that extra bit further to make sure that everything is alright for you. Fantastic place, love it.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Michael B
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Dear Michael B
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday. We also thank you for your positive feedback. Your comments on our food and service are very mush appreciated. Yes, our team do go that little bit further when it comes to service!
Michael B, thank you for your wonderful comments – All of my team looks forward to the day when you return for your next visit to our beautiful resort!
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Bula, and Vinaka to everyone at the Outrigger on the Lagoon, Fiji, where there is something for everyone.
I was fortunate enough to be staying with a large group of family and friends for my daughter's wedding. It was an absolute dream and delight. If you're looking for a destination wedding, the Outrigger is the place to go. Amongst the group of 49 people, we had every combination possible. The mature couples, the young couples, couple with young children, couple with teenagers. Everyone was well looked after by the amazing friendly staff where they treat you like family.
We also had every type of accommodation from the Superior room, Ocean Deluxe room and family Bure. Again, everyone was happy with their rooms, and the service was excellent and friendly. Some things are done of Fiji time, but hey, that's fine, why rush, we're there to relax.
Amongst the group we managed to try everything the resort had on offer. From the Mei Mei service, the Kids Club, adult spa treatments, dining at every restaurant, kayaking, snorkelling, water aerobics, swimming, golf, coconut bowling, crab races, cocktail making, tapa painting.....the list goes on. Every day there were cocktail of the day, and we tried to have every one.
The buffet breakfast was magnificent with a different smoothie shot to try each day. The Ivi Restaurant was a truly wonderful experience of fine dining. The food was beautiful and the service amazing. Meals were prepared at our table and the crepe Suzette is a must. As are the liqueur coffees. The Baravi Bar was a great choice for lunch or cocktails by the pool, and the Sundowner may be famous for it's pizza, but they do a magnificent steak too. The Kalokola Bar is the perfect spot for adults to sit, and unwind in the quiet surrounds.
The wedding was absolutely perfect. The Chapel offers amazing views and everything is planned down to the finest of details. The banquet staff were fantastic, and made the wedding that much more memorable. Their attention to detail was faultless. And after lots of encouragement, joined in our dancing and singing, which topped off the night. Vinaka vakalevu to all involved, it was perfect.
We also had a fantastic morning at the Kulu Eco park that is a short walk under the road from the resort. An informative, and wonderful experience was had by the adults and children, with lots of snake and reptile handling. Well worth a visit.
The Sigatoka River Safari is also a must do. A magnificent time on the jet boat, and an uplifting experience in the village, where we were welcomed with a traditional kava ceremony and had a wonderful lunch prepared by the women of the village.
Others in our group experienced a variety of activities that can be arranged by the resort; a visit to Sigatoka town, Sigatoka Cave tour, sailing around the islands, diving and even a helicopter trip for the wedded couple.
Our time at the Outrigger can be summed up by this remark from one of the kids when we arrived back in Melbourne, "I'm sure we left something behind, can we please get back on the plane and go get it" Everyone is talking about 'next time' already.
Som moce for now, but not for long.
Vinaka Vakalevu to everyone at the Outrigger

Room Tip: I stayed in a Superior Resort Room and it was ample. No-one in our group complained about any of th...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear LeeW27
An outstanding review!
Thank you for taking the time to provide positive comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We are delighted that we could provide you, your family and all of your friends with such a memorable holiday experience! I seriously enjoyed reading your commentary on all of the activities that each and every age group got up to! As you have clearly stated, we cater for all ages at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
I also appreciate your wonderful feedback on the wedding. Our wedding planner, Asmeen and our Banquets Manager Jack Johnson do a superb job in looking after our wedding clients. It was also good to see that your group ventured out of the resort and visited the Kula Eco Park and also undertook the wonderful experience of the Sigatoka River Safari. This is the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger – There are so many adventures within easy driving distance of the resort.
LeeW27, once again we thank you for your comments! In closing let the children know that they did leave something behind at the resort – lifetime memories and lots of friends!
All of my team looks forward to the “next time”!
Burwood East, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

The staff are wonderful. Rooms are amazing. Food is fantastic in all areas of the Resort.Singing at meal times was the greatest part of my evenings just the fantastic atmosphere you get from the sounds of their voices. All areas of the resort are looked after to make your stay one of the great adventures of a life time.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the beach are fantastic
1 Thank Glenn526
Dear Glenn526
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji - We sincerely thank you for your comments! We are delighted that we could provide you with such a relaxing holiday!
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the wonderful entertainment from our serenaders. We have 3 troupes of serenaders that just wander around the resort entertaining our guests. Personally I think it beats electronic music any day!
I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurants.
Glenn526, Once again we thank you for your review! We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Melbourne, VIC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

This place is proof of just how much difference good service makes to a holiday. In all honesty there were a few gripes that we had with the rooms etc but the service was just so friendly, the staff made us feel so much a part of their greater Fijian family, that I would feel disloyal to tell you about them. Instead I will give you an example of the type of service I'm talking about. There is a crèche beside the breakfast buffet that you can drop the kids into for free while you finish your breakfast in peace. After leaving our 14 month old baby there I returned after less than half an hour to find Maria, who we had never met before, locked in a cheek to cheek embrace with our baby and it was hard to know who was enjoying it more, they were both so clearly deeply lost in their happy place! Now I don't doubt for one second that Australian crèche workers do an incredible job but this is something again - how the staff here can treat every child like their own niece or nephew when they must deal with so many new children every day that are gone again tomorrow means that this attitude is not just part of the job but a deep seated part of their culture. And it's not just with the kids it seems to be almost everyone doing every job with such joy that it is absolutely infectious and does manage to make any gripe seem unimportant. This was our first time in Fiji though so I can't compare it with any other Fijian hotel - perhaps it is just the fantastic Fijian people that make it so good and as such this level of service can be expected throughout Fiji...?

There was just one gripe I had though that even the best service could not make me overlook and that was the food. The buffet breakfast was good as was the food at the Sundowner Restaurant but the rest needs work. Enough said.

Room Tip: Bures are essential for a good night's sleep
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank HappiestAway
Dear HappiestAway
Bula and Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
It sounds like you and your family had an amazing holiday! Thank you for your comments on our meimei nanny service – We are definitely blessed with a wonderful team of professional nannies! I loved your commentary on the wonderful bond between your baby and her meimei nanny, Maria! As you found out it also allows Mums and Dad’s to have quality time together and actually get to have a holiday!
HappiestAway, once again we thank you for your warm and generous comments – we look forward to the day when you and your family return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

This resort was wonderful. The staff here were so friendly and welcoming. It made the whole experience that extra bit special! The room was as described and pictured on the website. If you purchase the meal vouchers you are able to eat at three different restaurants, including a buffet, and can order either an entrée and main or main and dessert (per person).
Food was great, service was great and the room was great!
The buffet breakfast has absolutely EVERYTHING and the Bebe day spa is an experience you will never forget.

Room Tip: The deluxe ocean view rooms are great. The also come with the Talai butler service (nightly canapés...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kaijay123
Dear kaijay123
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience!
As you have described, it is the staff that make Outrigger so special! I also thank you for your positive comments in relation to our meals – We seriously believe that the cost of meals at the resort is very reasonable indeed! I also love our buffet breakfasts – so much to choose from!
Kaijay123, Once again we thank you for your review. My whole team looks forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort, at some time in the not too distant future
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

My family and I traveled to Fiji in September 2011. Two adults and a 9 year old child.
To start of I don't have a single bad thing to say about the place. It's amazing. The only draw back would be the distance from the airport, it took us a while to get there, over an hour and a half, on the other hand it is very well located when it comes to hiring a car and visiting all sorts of attractions, like the cascades. The resort is very well appointed and you get this relaxing island feeling as soon as you step of the bus. The staff at reception were extremely friendly, just like every other staff member at the hotel. We were offered an upgrade to an ocean view bure for a ridiculously low amount, a deal we just couldn't refuse. This, probably made our holiday even better than we could of hoped for. With the ocean view bure came a private butler. She was amazing, helpful and so very friendly. We mentioned that our wedding anniversary was coming up in a few days, she remembered, brought in a cake with the number of years we were married for written on a cake as well as a choir that sang a wonderful sounding song.
The food at the main restaurant was very well prepared, the verity was outstanding and the entertainment was not too intrusive, just right. The food by the pool during lunch time was very tasty, especially these tiny chicken sliders.
The pool was great as well, our son spent most of his time in it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dear iamgOd
Greetings from the isle of smiles! We thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! As you have highlighted in your commentary, we are blessed with a wonderful resort – How beautiful are our staff! They seriously enjoy engaging with our guests and ensuring that they have a wonderful holiday experience!
iamgOd, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort!
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,927 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!