“Awesome Family Holiday!!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Gympie, Australia
“Awesome Family Holiday!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We are a family of 2 adults & 2 children (7&8) & have just returned from a 11 night stay at the Outrigger. Everything about the resort was fantastic! From the moment you drive in the gate past the "Bula Bula" man you feel totally at home. The concierge & check-in staff were wonderful. After being welcomed to our room by our Talai Butler the very likeable Basil from reception drove us to the Vale Ni Kana restaurant in a buggy. We dined at all the resorts restaurants & could not fault anything. Dining at the Ivi & having cocktails & tapas at Kalokalo is a must! So much choice at the breakfast buffet, you really didn't need to have lunch - although we normally did! The smoothies made by Paulo are a must have! The staff at Sundowner were so wonderful (especially with the kids!) & remembered all our names. There were many tears shed here on our last night & the next day at the pool & breakfast when they sang the "goodbye song" to us. The pool area & the food/drink service here was great - a new cocktail every day was hard to take! Also loved the chicken & green papaya salad! The staff here & at breakfast also remembered our names & it was very easy to become fond of them. The staff at this resort really do make such a positive impact on you, they are such genuine beautiful people. Whilst staying here you can do as much or as little as you like. There was always heaps on the go & on the days it was raining there was an information sheet left outside our room with a list of "wet weather activities". Kula Eco Park is just across the road which was a big hit with the kids! You can get driven there in the resorts buggy & it's only a short walk back. The Meimei (nanny) service was fantastic as it allowed us to have the opportunity to dine at the adults only restaurants. I would recommend taking any stationery items & clothes you can fit in your luggage as these are gratefully received & given to children at the local schools. This is also a nice gesture if you go on the Sigatoka River Safari (which is awesome!) to give to the village children. Great duty free shopping & also ladies from local villages sell their wares at different locations around the resort. Also, I would not hesitate staying here if it was without the children. It is a great resort for couples too! All in all a very memorable holiday which can be summed up by our 8 year old when we got home - I discovered him sobbing uncontrollably & when asking him what was wrong his reply was "I want to go back to the Outrigger because I miss Paulo!!" He has already started saving his pocket money! To everyone at Outrigger - Vanaka vakalevu & we will be back! From Steve, Fiona, Jack & Harry.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Jones04
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Fiona J
An outstanding review!
Thank you for taking the time to provide positive comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We are delighted that we could provide you and your family with such a memorable holiday experience! I seriously enjoyed reading your commentary on your 8 year old son and the attachment he made with Paulo – This happens quite often at the resort, with a lot of children creating as close bond with the Fijian staff. Be rest assured we will pass your comments onto Paulo and Basil.
I appreciate your wonderful feedback on our food and beverage outlets – We seriously believe that we have the best food and beverage of any resort in Fiji.
It was also good to see that your family ventured out of the resort and visited the Kula Eco Park and also undertook the wonderful experience of the Sigatoka River Safari. This is the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger – There are so many adventures within easy driving distance of the resort.
Fiona J, once again we thank you for your comments! In closing let the children know that Paulo sends a warm and friendly “Bula”!
All of my team looks forward to the day when next you return to our beautiful resort.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

We attended for a wedding as a couple with no kids. Still really enjoyed the place - excellent service, beautiful scenery and beautiful rooms. Pool was amazing, food was great too.

I would say though, that it is very much for families. I wouldnt reccommend couples without children to go.

it also took us 1 1/2 hours to get from the airport to the hotel, so keep that in mind.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank melmelmel33
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear meimeimei33
Greetings from the isle of smiles! We thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! As you have highlighted in your commentary, we are blessed with a wonderful resort.
How good is the food? We have the best restaurants of any resort in Fiji! We also have a wonderful team of staff to look after our guests! They seriously enjoy engaging with our guests and ensuring that they have a wonderful holiday experience!
meimeimei33, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Went to the outrigger for 7 nights with my wife and two young boys, 3 and 4, last month. I have been to many different countries and resorts and have to say the moment we pulled up to the outrigger we could not believe how good this place was. Simply the best resort we have been to, how people could have bad reviews of this place I cannot understand. We weren't sure how we would go with our kids because we hadn't taken them on holiday before but they loved it and said they wanted to live there. The Fijian people are so nice and if you are thinking of going on a family holiday, this is the best place to go. So relaxing but also so much to do. We normally try and go somewhere different each holiday but will definitely go back to the outrigger again, only next time for 2 weeks. I could go on with all the details but the other reviews have already covered it. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2012
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear RickyD7
Bula and Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
It sounds like you and the family had an amazing holiday! I was really pleased to read that as this was your first holiday with the children, they really enjoyed their time in Fiji!
As you have quite rightly highlighted the one thing that separates Outrigger from all of the other resorts in Fiji is our warm and friendly staff. They love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I feel truly blessed to have such a magnificent team!
RickyD7, once again we thank you for your warm and generous comments – we look forward to the day when you and the boys return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Had a wonderful time at the Outrigger at the end of July for my nieces wedding..There was a crowd of us so it made it so much more enjoyable..The place was lovely and the weather really turned it on..Staff were friendly and helpful although check-in was a bit of a nightmare..We did not get the room we had booked but were given a credit at the end of the trip not as much as we had paid for the room but at least it helped. The wedding venue was amazing with the most amazing view and the reception was just out of this world..Staff and food excellent..All in all our seven night stay was enjoyable and would highly recommend The Outrigger as a place for a wedding and a holiday..

Room Tip: Get a room with a good view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Lindy07
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday and also the wedding that you attended. It sounds as though the wedding was amazing. As you have described, the views from Lomalagi (Heavenly) Hill, where the chapel is located, are to die for! Your comments on our food and service are very mush appreciated. Yes, our team do go that little bit further when it comes to service!
Lindy07, thank you for your wonderful comments – All of my team looks forward to the day when you return for your next visit to our beautiful resort!
Melbourne Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Me and my husband have just returned from a 7 night stay at the outrigger. We has booked a package deal which was the superior garden room and we were not disappointed. We actually had the best ocean view room we could have asked for! We ended up in the lagoon building which was actually a fantastic location, close to the pool and restaurants and also closest to the beach! At night we slept with the door open and listened to the ocean and wind, perfect for a good nights sleep. We were offered deluxe ocean view on check in for an extra $ 37 AUS per night but decided the lagoon building looked the better option. The main building which is 7 stories high is quite a walk to the pool and restaurants, and also the wedding receptions are held there on level 4 or 5 right smack bang in the middle and is very very loud. I'm sure this would make it noisy in your guest room. There are beautiful thatched walkways meandering around the grounds which are a gorgeous tropical landscape.
The pool is massive and not at all cold like other reviews comment. It's actually perfect for cooling off. It can get pretty hot sun baking by the pool so it's very refreshing. The pool is big enough that no one is in your way and you can easily dive in from one side.
We didn't get the food package deal which was lucky that we didn't. We ate at the breakfast buffet on our first morning and decided it was all too much. The place was like a feeding frenzy with people young and old piling up as much as possiable on their plates then going back for seconds. I would never eat that much in the morning so could not justify $86 FJD for breakfast. So we took the advice from other trip advisors and headed to the bedara inn where you could order as little or as much as you liked. Toast was $4 AUS an omlette $10 AUS ect. It's about a 10 minute walk at the most to get there.
The restaurants are similiar prices to Australia if not just a liitle cheaper. Beer is $4.10 for a stubby which is much cheaper than Australia.
We had the Mexican buffet but was pretty disappointed in it. The food wasnt great and I found the choices a little odd. But anyway we were in Fiji not Mexico! So we decided not to do the Italian buffet. One thing I must say is there is NO pasta on any restaurant menu except for the poolside menu, which by the way is fantastic. I couldnt wait to try everything once! From hamburgers, to chicken wraps, ravioli, club sandwiches ect it was all good value. There were always plenty of chairs as well at the pool and they are fine as well so I don't know why people would complain about them.
The majority of the people at the resort would be Australian followed by new zealanders. Also big groups for weddings and lots and lots of young families.
Overall I give the resort 4 stars losing 1 star on the room. It definitely wasn't 5 star but it was modern and nice decor.
My only real complaint would be noisy guests at 2:30 every night. The first night I was woken to an argument at 2:30 in the morning that went on and on. Where was security? Every night it seemed some drunks would be carrying on oblivious to all the other guests. Not very 5 star at all.
Actually my other complaint is the beach. Or lack of it. It's always low tide so there is no swimming. Not what I had envisioned Fiji to be.
All in all it was a great place to relax, but be prepared to fork out a lot of money on food and drinks as there is really not a lot of options.

Room Tip: Ask for the lagoon building. Guaranteed an ocean view and close to everything
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank megsi
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear megsi
Bula and Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
It sounds like you had an amazing holiday! Yes, it is a big resort, but we truly believe that we cater for all ages and the facilities at the resort are the best you will find in Fiji!
I apologise for the noise around the pool area. Unfortunately we had a large wedding group that were celebrating just a little bit too much – Yes; we do have security at the resort! I am somewhat surprised by your comments on the price of our Full Buffet Breakfast. The actual price is $48fjd which converts to AUD$25.00 – very good value indeed. I can assure you that after managing quite a number of the top resorts in Australia, most full buffet breakfast are AUD$48 in these resorts.
megsi, once again we thank you for your warm and generous comments – we look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

My husband and my two kids (aged 5 & 3) have just arrived home from a 6 night stay at the Outrigger and we had the best holiday!
My son 3 and my husband both had their birthdays during our stay and the staff went above and beyond to make a fuss of their birthdays.
The staff at the resort are truly beautiful people, special mention to Elenoa (excuse my spelling!) at the buffet and Merici our butler, what truly beautiful women. And my husband also would like to say a big bula to Luke at the golfing range!
The food at every restaurant (we didn't eat at the ivi though) was superb, the staff were incredible and don't listen to the wingers who have reviewed previously-the water in the pool is NOT too cold!
I can still taste my yummy cocktails as I am writing this review..... Thanks everyone at the Outrigger, I know we will be seeing you all again sooner then later!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Theblackas
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji - We sincerely thank you for your comments. What a wonderful review! We are delighted that we could provide you with such a relaxing holiday.
I was pleased to read that your husband and son enjoyed their birthdays at the resort – The Fijian staff most certainly know how to celebrate special occasions – As a tip for future guests, if you have a special occasion to celebrate whilst you are staying with us, let our reservations staff know when you book and we will look after the rest!
I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurants. I was delighted to read that your are still savoring our yummy cocktails?? I might go and have one myself now!
Theblackas, Once again we thank you for your review! We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

We have just returned from around the world trip and stayed at the Outrigger on our last leg. The resort is beautiful and the the friendliness of the staff is the best that I have ever come accross. The bedrooms are large and lovely. We stayed at an Ocean View room with butler service - in hindsight I am not sure if I would pay for the butler service again. It is a nice treat however!

We stayed at the Outrigger for 10 nights. It was very relaxing and had mostly sunny days in August. However we did feel very trapped at the resort. Without transport there is nowhere to go excet for the couplr of shops/bars/hotels along the beach road. The supermarket is limited in stock however a lot cheaper than the resort shop - potato chips $11 in resort and $6 outside beer and water also half the price. However the resort does not make it easy for you to take this route as there are no lights at night. There was no option therefore for us only to eat at night in the resort. I can not fault the qualiy of the food anywhere in the resort however it is expensive! We are well travelled and have stayed in many 4*/5* hotels and resorts around the world and the Outrigger Fiji is the most expensive that I have come across especially ad there is no other option. We alternated between the Sundowner snd Bravi most nights. Staff at the Bravi day and night are amazing some of the younger women staff in the Sundowner can be a bit snooty and we weren't offered the farewell song on our last night even though the waitress mentioned that it was our last night.

We had a very relaxing holiday and a perfect ending to our around the world trip. However I do feel that being trapped in the resort that I have not really experienced the real Fiji. Next time I would stay at different resorts and perhaps experience and Island resort.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Worldtraveller305
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Dear Worldtraveller305
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable holiday in Fiji on your world tour. We are thrilled to read that our staff were the most friendliest that you encountered on your travels.
I sincerely apologise that our team did not sing the farewell song, isalei, on your final night – Be rest assured that I have taken the appropriate measures to address this area of concern!
Worldtraveller305, Once again we thank you for your review. My whole team looks forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort, at some time in the not too distant future
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,969 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!