“Fantastic resort in all aspects”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The outrigger rooms were large , beautifully appointed, clean, lots of little extras. The gardens beautiful and very well maintained. The food was absolutely scrumptious. There was a great effort by staff to attend to your every need from bring drinks around by the pool etc etc. if you have kids the pool and restaurants are well set up for that. If you don't just as great. The best restaurant i found was down on the beach in the resort . Only negative about the facilities was the massage...... Fantastic outlook, lovely rituals...but the lady giving me a massage had a cold so I heard sniffing and nose blowing throughout what should have been a restful time.
Kathy

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Katzy50
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Dear Katzy50
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast! It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort! We really do appreciate your comments about our staff – we are truly blessed with a magnificent team! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the high standard of the meals in our restaurants, in particular the Sundowner Bar and Grill on the beachfront!
I sincerely apologise for the lack of service that you received from the attendant at our Bebe Spa. I assure you that this particular person has been taken to task over this issue.
Katzy50, Once again we thank you for your comments – We look forward to the day when you to our beautiful resort.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Write a ReviewReviews (3,209)

Reviewed 20 March 2013

great holiday by us and 4 friends cant wait to return .have been to raratonga noumea vila and tahiti but this was by far the best .staff friendly food great room excelent .only complaint ivy restaurant overpriced for average food and service ,so would probably not bother going again .my only other cpmplaint was we were only there for 5 days should have been at least 10

Room Tip: choose an ocean view instead of a bure ,mutch better value and a nice breeze in the afternoon .a bur...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank rossturnbull7
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

rossturnbull7
Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your outstanding review! It sounds like you had an awesome holiday experience. As you found out, we are truly blessed with a wonderful team. They are what makes the difference between Outrigger and all of the other resorts in Fiji. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the many and varied dining experiences that we provide at the resort. So many options and such good food! I have noted your comments regarding the Ivi Restaurant and I will address this issue with our food and beverage team. I should note that Ivi Restaurant was voted as the number restaurant in all of Fiji at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards.
rossturnbull7, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you and your 4 friends back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Frankly, the only reason we remotely considered this destination was to attend a family wedding. We were fully aware that the Fiji Coral Coast has next to nothing to offer the traveller. The hotel was quoted as "5 Star". I would be hard pressed giving it 2 stars. On arrival after a full day travelling there was no hot water, faulty air-conditioner and virtually zero WiFi. To the hotel's credit, the hot water and aircon were repaired the next day. The WiFi was either non-existant or intermittent for the duration of our stay. We had to engage in several phone calls to IT experts in the USA and elsewhere off-shore in an effort to resolve the WiFi issues. WiFi is not free and has to be purchased. We did receive a credit for the days which service was down. Good luck if you intend checking on your business from here!
The hotel was in various degrees of disrepair and run down. We did not sit on the beach for the whole week of our stay. Did I say "beach"?! The strip in front of the hotel consisted of washed up coral, rubbish and various debris washed up by the waves. We had to wear shoes to walk on the "beach".The coral is dead and the "lagoon" totally unattractive. Our biggest gripe was the outrageous price of food and drinks at the hotel. We were paying prices which exceeded typical Australian prices.. Cheapest beer around A$4.00 (local Fijian beer). Cocktails - A$ 10 to A$16. What a joke. The meals were also way overpriced and over rated. We ended up eating at local eateries down the beach and buying alcohol from local shops down the beach. If the hotel had a bit of sense they would drop their prices a bit and their guests would not have to buy alcohol elsewhere and the hotel would do more trade.
At least four of our party slipped on hotel corridoors or around the pool. One of our party injuring his back and head. Workplace Health & Safety is non-existant. Pool surrounds resemble a slip & slide so take care.
Having said that, the staff were lovely, friendly, courteous and obliging. Unforunately that is where it ends. If you are considering visiting Fiji then do yourselves a favour and visit one of the outer islands NOT the main island.

If we consider that we visited this destination purely to attend a wedding, I have to say that the wedding was EXTREMELY well organsied and a truly wonderful occassion. The wedding planner and staff did a wonderful job and sincere congratulations to them.
Would I visit this destination again purely for a holiday? Unfortunately not ever.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lee W

Dear Lee W
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast! Obviously we are disappointed with the tone of your review! My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences for our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case we failed in this mission. We apologise for this occurrence!
I am not sure where you have travelled previously but you will be challenged to find beers as cheap as $4.00 and cocktails at $10.00 at any resort? I have managed a large number of resorts in Australia and most beer prices are AUD$6.50 and above and you will not get a decent cocktail for under AUD$18.00. I apologise for the maintenance issues that you encountered. I have addressed these issues with my team.
Lee W, Once again we thank you for your comments!

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We have just returned from 8 nights at Outrigger on the Lagoon and would highly recommend it! I could not fault it at all. The property is beautifully maintained with spectacular gardens and water features. The rooms are clean, cool and very comfortable with gorgeous views.
All the staff were so welcoming and attentive. We had a joke that if you wanted something you just had to think it and someone would do it!
Special shout out to Paulina who cleaned our room so well each day, Jo who delivered our champers and canopes each evening (how indulgent!!), the wonderful fellow on the front of the property with his BULA welcome each time we saw him!, and all the rest of the wonderful staff of Outrigger, Thank you

8  Thank sydneymum11

Dear sydneymum11
What an outstanding review!
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your amazing holiday experience. It sounds like you had a wonderful time at our beautiful resort. As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. We love our “Bula Boys” – they provide a wonderful welcome to our resort. I will most certainly pass your comments onto Paulina, your room attendant!
Sydneymum11, Once again we thank you for your comments. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Thank you for our fabulous holiday on your gorgeous resort, we recently travelled to stay with you (March 2013) with our 2 young children (5 and 7). We had a lovely stay, the staff could not have been more helpful! The kids loved kids club and we even managed to have a couple of romantic dinners (something we never get the chance to do!).
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Outrigger to friends and family.
Kind regards
Deborah

6  Thank Deborah B
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Dear Deborah B
We appreciate the time you have taken to advise readers on your most recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon. Fiji. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable time at our beautiful resort. As you found out, we have a wonderful team of warm and friendly staff at the resort! I seriously enjoyed reading your review because what you described is what we deliver at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji - We take care of the kids so that Mums and Dads can have some quality time together!
Deborah B, once again we thank you for your comments! All of my team looks forward to the day when next, you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I found the outrigger fantastic for our family (2adults + 4yr old twins) holiday. We spent 8 nights there in early March 2013.

I found the room and the whole resort clean and comfortable, the gardens are pretty and well maintained. The undercover walk way is great for both shade on hot days and rain protection, as we did go towards the end of the rainy season. It rained 5 out of 8 days, but it was mostly short down-pours in the afternoon/evening and it was still warm, and did not stop us from doing what we wanted. We just swam in the rain anyway!

The staff were friendly and helpful. Nothing seemed too much trouble.

The pool was great, the kids loved it! It is huge, with some deep areas, and plenty of shallow areas for the kids.

The food was great (only downside is the 3kg I gained!!) we had a "kids eat free" deal. The kids menu was great for my kids. Had the typical chicken tenders and chips, and sausages etc. also had lamb rolls in puff pastry, shepherds pie, pizza, sandwiches, and some great dessert options, my kids were in heaven with all that ice cream!
The adults menu was also great. There were 4 restaurants to choose from for dinner and each had a different style of food. Our dinners cost between 100-200fjd per dinner which was 2 courses and drinks for 2 people. Though you could easily spend more or less to suit your tastes and budget.. (50-100fjd for lunch)

I eat a gluten free diet (though not strictly coeliac) and was impressed at their gluten free options. I had gluten free pancakes made for me several mornings at the buffet breakfast. I also had gluten free bread as toast, sandwiches and as a hamburger. Their GF bread isn't wonderful, (bit cakey for my liking) but it was offered! The menu for each restaurant also has a 2-4 GF options for each course and sides/sauces too.

Activities were great.

Kids loved kids club and we had 7x2hour blocks of child free time during the week, though you could have up to 7h a day if they went to every session. My boys just chose the activities that interested them (listed in the little book you get on your first day). They played group games, did beach walks, fed fish, found and raced hermit crabs. Husked a coconut, then played a bowling game with it, before eating it. They also took them to the wildlife park one day (across the road and $17.50 fjd extra/ child) to show them the animals and feed turtles. It was great!

The resort puts on HEAPS of activities each day, most of which we did not attend, but we did enjoy the water sports, canoes, stand up paddle boards and snorkelling, as well as the golf driving range. On rainy days, they delivered a wet weather activities sheet to our room in the morning with suggested activities for the rain.

We had a massage at the Bebe Spa, which was very relaxing and highly recommended!!!!

There are 2 small laundromats in the resort. It costs 4fjd for a wash and 4fjd to dry your load. Very handy for a family of 4 staying for 8 nights. They also have a laundry service that charges many dollars per item if your into that.

There were not many negative aspects to our stay. If I had to find some, it would be that the bed wasn't quite as comfortable as my own, but that's pretty common anywhere with travel.
Also in times of heavy rain, some of the paths become flooded with puddles about 2cm deep and a couple of meters long. I had to walk through several puddles on my way to/from dinner if it was raining. The staff put up signs and made every attempt to sweep away the water when the rain eased. However if you were wearing good shoes to dinner it may be a problem.
Also the location of the resort and proximity to the airport is a little painful. It's about 70-90 mins drive on bumpy Fijian roads between the resort and the airport. We got a transfer included, and it wasn't too bad, but just something to be aware of. It's an eye opening drive past very poor looking Fijian villages.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe ocean view room. Nice view. 2 double beds (or 1king and a sofa bed) in one r...
10  Thank SalAndTrace

Dear SalAndTrace
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast! I am absolutely thrilled that you and your family had such a memorable holiday experience! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. Thank you for your wonderful comments about your dining experiences at the resort! We are blessed with some of the best restaurants in Fiji with our Sundowner Bar and Grill being rated as the second best restaurant in Fiji, whilst our fine dine restaurant, Ivi is number one! As you have stated the only problem are the extra kilos that you put on, but, that is what holidays are all about. I was pleased to read that our team were able to take care of your dietary needs. As you found out, Fijians seriously know how to look after children – I will most certainly pass your compliments on to the staff at the Kids Club
I also thank you for your comments about the Kula Eco Park – How good is it to have Fiji’s one and only zoo only 5 minutes walk from the resort???
SalAndTrace, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you and the family return for your next visit to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I stayed a week at the Outrigger on the Lagoon in February 2013 in a Plantation Bure. We had wanted to go to Fiji for a long time and in celebrating his retirement we splurged on this beautiful 5-star resort. It was absolutely fabulous!

We arrived at the resort early in the morning (the flight from LAX arrives at 5:15am and it is over an hour's drive from the airport). They were able to check us in but our unit was not ready so we were directed to the hut where there was a breakfast buffet. Everyone smiles, is extremely nice and very accommodating.

After breakfast we found a level in the main building that had these bed-type loungers and we were able to stretch out on them while waiting for our Bure. As resort staff walked by, they would say BULA or ask if we were in need of anything. Someone found us when our unit was ready, we were taken in a little golf cart to our Bure and showed how everything works.

The Bure is absolutely beautiful! It's like a little cabin or hut and has everything you would need right there. There's a sofa, table and chairs, flat-screened TV, king sized bed, mini-fridge, electric hot pot for coffee or tea, safe in the closet and robes and slippers for your use. The bathroom has no tub but there is a very large shower stall with extremely good water pressure. I loved that shower! The toilet is in a separate area and they have a door that goes to the bathroom area that also doubles as a door to the toilet area. I thought that was ingenious! One door for two purposes!

The bed is extremely comfortable! The Bure has a/c and ceiling fans but the a/c has an automatic eco-regulator that caused it to get a little warm in the Bure in the middle of the night, but after a few nights I figured out how to use the ceiling fans with the a/c to keep it comfortable while we slept. They do turn your bed down and leave a fresh flower on your bed with a sheet of the activities available for the next day.

The Bures come with a butler who brings you canapes and champagne every evening before dinner and a nightcap and fruitcup before bed. Most of the butlers are female and one of ours, Loata, was very warm and extremely friendly. She caught on that I liked a lot of ice - the ice buckets are kinda small so she brought me a mini ice chest to use during our week there. Right outside of the Bure is a small porch with a bench and a really nice swinging hammock which we took full advantage of. I read 3 books swinging in that hammock! However there are mosquitoes so either bring your own OFF or purchase some lemongrass bug spray from the souvenir shop and use it. The sun is very warm too so be sure to bring a good strong sun-screen with at least 30 SPF.

We ate at the buffet a few times which gives you lots of variety. My only regret was that they did not have iced tea which is my favorite beverage to drink with meals. But they have a lemonade which they call "lemon squash" and that was good. (If you order lemonade, they bring you a Sprite-type soda.) They have a full bar that makes beautifully colored drinks too!

There were other restaurants at the resort and all served really good food. There is a mini store that has post cards, postage stamps, jewelry, souvenir items, as well as bottled water, ice cream and other snacks. Rosie's Tours has a desk in the lobby if you are interested in exploring some of the island. We so enjoyed the relaxation of the resort that we skipped doing any tours. We did take the resort bus into Sigatoka for shopping. I highly recommend doing that. There is a grocery store, bakery, a big souvenir shop plus many other stores in Sigatoka. It was about $10FJ per person for the bus to Sigatoka.

The night before we left there was a Fijian choir singing at one of the resort restaurants. It was a very warm night and they were dressed in layers but they sang so very beautifully in their native language. It was very touching to witness.

We purchased a package through our AAA that included transfers from/to the airport which was through Rosie's Tours and they were timely and friendly as well.

There are a few laundries at the resort ($4 for wash or dry). They work well (just check the dryer halfway thru cause it's very powerful) and I strongly suggest bringing a small ziploc or bottle of your own preferred washing soap.

The resort has wi-fi internet that you can purchase in 24 hour blocks and use in your unit or Bure. The clock starts running when you first sign on so it's not one that you can log in and then log out to stop the clock. There is also a little coffee-type cafe in the lobby that sells sandwiches and pastries, and when you make a purchase you can get a little free internet time to use on their laptops.

The tap water is supposed to be okay to drink but we purchased many bottles of water before we found out that it was safe. They have a lovely Spa which is up a small mountain near the resort. You can get a cart to take you up there. It has awesome views of the bay.

There are many activities at the resort as well as lots of native Fijian rituals. I really enjoyed the behind the scenes tour with the resort manager - you will understand why the Outrigger is one of the most prestigious employers in Fiji. My husband took out a (free) Kayak every morning and enjoyed the snorkeling (the equipment is also free but you should bring your own mask). He worked out in the gym daily but said it was small and only slightly air conditioned. The Kula Eco Park, a center for the captive breeding of endangered species, is walking distance from the resort. We never made it there but it is highly recommended.

Room service is great! We were spoiled the whole week we were there...... the Fijians are a very warm and truly gracious people and spending one week there is most relaxing and enjoyable. Although the Outrigger is an American resort, the heart of the excellent service at the Outrigger in Fiji is most assuredly the Fijian staff. We never encountered one sour face or grumpy person. They really do hire the cream of the crop!

For a purely extravagant and pampering respite, you cannot go wrong at the Outrigger on the Lagoon. It is totally worth the money you spend and you will not be disappointed at all. I would like to personally thank the management and staff at the Outrigger for giving us a beautiful week. We look forward to returning again in the future. Bula!

Room Tip: Choose a Bure to get a more native Fijian feel. There are 3 types: Plantation, Ocean Breeze and Be...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ClaireTravels
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear ClaireTravels
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted that you and your husband had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort. I have noted your comments regarding your preference for Iced Tea – I have discussed this request with my food and beverage team. Thank you for your comments on our staff – They truly love engaging with our guests! I will most definitely share your comments with your talai butler, Loata. I was delighted to read that you took our “Back of House” tour. This tour and commentary by yours truly, gives our guests a great insight as to how a resort employing over 600 staff and looks after more than 750 guests daily, operates????
ClaireTravels, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday experience. Hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
16 mi away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!