“A Family Holiday the Way it Should Be”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
“A Family Holiday the Way it Should Be”
Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

Where do you start with somewhere like Outrigger on the Lagoon? Our room on the top floor was great with an absolutely amazing view over the resort, the reef and the sea. The talai butler service ensured we had canapés and drinks each evening on our balcony (thanks, Navi!). The restaurants covered everything from buffet to fine dining, the bars were great and the cocktails delicious (ask Rupi in the Sundowner for a Stingray from the Lucky Bar and you'll see what I mean).

Our boys (5 and 2 years old) had loads of fun swimming in the pool. The older one went with the kids' club a few times for a much needed break from his parents and had a blast. The little one loved spending time with the mei meis (nannies), too. It's impossible to overstate how lovely all the staff were with the boys; everywhere they went there were high fives flying and calls of "Bula!" to greet them. When someone tells you the Fijians love kids, they're not kidding!

There are plenty of activities if you fell like doing things: reef walks, snorkelling, kayaking, golf driving range, pool aerobics, etc. The staff were all very friendly and eager to make sure that we had a wonderful time.

All in all, I can't recommend this resort highly enough.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank James B
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear JamesB
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday. As you found out and have also commented upon, the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger is the unbelievably warm and friendly staff that takes great pride in looking after our guests. I will most certainly pass on your comments to your talai butler, Navi. We also thank you for your comments on our restaurants.
What you have described in your review is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about??? We look after the children in our Kids Club or with our personalized Meimei nanny service so that Mums and Dads can have some quality time together.
JamesB, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and the family return to our beautiful resort, sometime in the not too distant future.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (935)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My wife, 2 daughters aged 4 and 1 and I just spent 4 nights in a Plantation bure after having just 1 night at the Shangri-La. Let me start by saying the Outrigger is a vast step up in quality from the Shangri-La, so if you are tossing up between the 2 just go ahead and book the Outrigger!

The grounds at the Outrigger are amazing. So green and well kept. The bures are spread out and placed between gardens so they feel very isolated from neighbors and give a sense of privacy. The pool was fantastic, again, spread out with 3 or 4 separate areas for toddlers. No swim up bar but the waiters by the pool do a great job in getting cocktails delivered quickly with genuine friendliness. They are also building a separate swim up bar and adults only pool.

With 2 young kids on hand, the kids club and nanny service is very important to us. Both are certainly fantastic at the Outrigger. Our 4yo loved the Little Riggers program. The little ones aged 4-8 in little riggers had so much fun singing, dancing, going on beach walks collecting shells and coconuts and also doing frog races. The kids club is first rate and also included in the room rate, as is the buffet lunch and dinner they put on for the kids.

The mei-mei nanny service was exceptional. We had a nanny allocated to our 18 month old daughter for the 4 days for 300FJD. Thank you to Bertha, you are fantastic and little Miki loved spending time with you. You made our holiday so much better as we didn't have to sit in the bure for hours each day and night while Miki was sleeping. We knew Miki was in great hands with you!

The nanny is able to do up to 8 hours per day for this rate. We did 9am to 1pm (where Miki slept for 3 hours), then from 5pm to 9pm so we could do cocktails and dinner. Bertha would feed Miki and walk her around the grounds with other nannies and kids then put her to bed at 7pm. We'd pick up the older kid from kids club at 9pm then go back to the bure.

Food at the Outrigger is very good, much better than I remember from the Hilton on Denerau 3 years ago. Prices are reasonable. We loved having cocktails and dinner on the beach at the Sundowner. Great staff and a fantastic outlook to the setting sun over the water.

The water sports were great fun with an assortment of stand up paddle boards, kayaks, snorkeling etc. Guided tours happen every day if you like. The gym was very good. Any level of athlete can do a full workout. Driving range was also very good with new-ish Taylormade clubs on offer as well as putting greens and bunkers to work on the short game.

The only negative I have on the Outrigger is that I was refused entry to Ivi restaurant for having thongs on. I realize dress standards are important, however in this case I feel discretion could have been used. I was wearing a white CK collared dress shirt with linen dress shorts and my black and silver havaianas thongs. The thongs were no good, but they told me I could come back with my Nike runners on and that would be fine. Considering Ivi was completely deserted and we would have been the only guests dining at the time, a judgment call could have been made allowing the thongs over the gym shoes. I'm sure the other non-patrons would not have been offended, but rather than putting the nikes on, we just went down to Sundowner and had another fantastic night there.

All in all, we loved the Outrigger and would gladly return again!

Room Tip: Get a bure if you can.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Aaron F
Dear Apfrench74
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday. I was delighted to read that you are already considering coming back to our beautiful resort. As you found out and have also commented upon, the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger is the unbelievably warm and friendly staff that takes great pride in looking after our guests. I will most certainly pass on your comments to your Meimei nanny, Bertha. We also thank you for your comments on our restaurants. I apologise for the incident at Ivi Restaurant. As you have stated, a little bit of discretion could have been afforded. I will most certainly follow up with the Ivi team.
Apfrench74, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and the family return to our beautiful resort, sometime in the not too distant future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is my first review but I would like to thank the hotel making my holiday a most enjoyable one. A little hiccup to start with as our room wasn't ready so had to stay in a superior room as opposed to a deluxe room. However they resolved this the next day as they moved us to the deluxe room and took our luggage while we relaxed by the pool. We spent 8 nights there. We opted for room but ate all our meals at the hotel. They have 4 restaurants there and one of them is a la carte (first class ate there twice). They have one on the beach sunset one again excellent food. We booked at table at the sunset one on the 29th as I met my husband 27 years ago. The staff asked if it was a special night I explained a sort of anniversary. At the end of the meal the staff came out with a chocolate cake inscribed our names and happy anniversary what a lovely touch they also sang to us in Fijian and English just made our night that extra special. Our last night we managed to get a table in the a la carte restaurant and to our surprise we had the staff singing a farewell song again a very special night. All the staff went out their way. A special thank you to Toby who brought us sparking wine and canapés every night thank you Toby. All the staff spoke and went out their way to make conversation and to check we were enjoying our holiday. We spoke to a few guests and a father of the bride and all of them said the hotel was excellent at organising the special event for them. (nice to hear). The entertainer they have gets everyone to join in. The resident signer and the band brilliant. And a 24 hour bar if you wish to indulge on a late night. So to all the staff thank you so much for making this a great holiday as our first time to Fiji. Would recommend anyone to stay here whether you are a family or couple.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear LynneIski
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast! I am absolutely thrilled that you and your husband had such a memorable wedding anniversary! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. Thank you for your wonderful comments about your dining experience at the Ivi fine dine restaurant! We are blessed with some of the best restaurants in Fiji with our ‘fine dine’ Ivi restaurant rated as the top restaurant in Fiji. As you found out, Fijians seriously know how to celebrate a special occasion. I will most certainly pass your comments onto Toby, your butler and the restaurant team at the Sundowner Bar and Grill.
LynneIski, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you return for your next visit to our beautiful resort. May you celebrate many more anniversaries!
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Beautiful location and the most amazing spa I have ever seen . It mersimerises you. you dont want to come back to the room. ITS FABULOUS LOVELY EVEVINGS AND LOVELY FOOD.The hospitality and warmth of the staff is superb. Thank you and BULA!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Poonam471
We appreciate the time you have taken to advise readers on your most recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort. As you found out, we have a wonderful team of warm and friendly staff at the resort! I also thank you for your positive comments on the food at the resort.
Poonam471, once again we thank you for your comments! All of my team looks forward to the day when next you return to our beautiful resort.
perth
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My husband and i just got home from our wedding and 10 day stay at the Outrigger Fiji..it was amazing, i loved every moment of it! Our wedding was truly beautiful and so well organised by Asmeen the wedding coordinator. I was also organising everything via email and phone calls and her prompt responses every day made it so easy and stress free. On the day,she went the extra mile to make sure it was perfect..the reception set up was stunning and the chapel took my breath away.A big thank you to her and her team..the staff at the reception were amazing, especially Jack Johnson :-) Allan, the photographer and his team were great, as were the videographers and Ranjit the .DJ, thankyou! Our holiday was wonderful due to the friendliness of the staff and the awesome facilities of the resort..a very special thankyou to TOBY our butler who made us smile every day and to Mareta our Mei Mei..our one year old son loved her. The restaurants and bars had great food and entertainment, so much fun! Most of all we loved how child-friendly everything was. I don't think there was ever a time that a staff member didn't greet our child with a high five, a kiss or a cuddle..just beautiful. The staff are what really make this place special for a holiday..our butler Toby, left us a lovely letter congratulating us on our wedding and decorated our room with heart shaped flower petals, Mareta, our Mei Mei also wrote us a lovely note and gave our baby a gorgeous little present..little gestures that made the difference and will keep us coming back :-) Thank you Vinaka Outrigger!! P.S. (Ivi restaurant is amazing)

Room Tip: We stayed in Ocean Deluxe Room. The talai butler service is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Roisinch27
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Roisinch27
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
I seriously enjoyed reading your review! It sounds like you had an amazing wedding at our beautiful resort. I really do appreciate the time you have taken to compliment the staff that looked after you and your husband on your wedding day. I will make sure that Asmeen, Jack, Allan and the rest of the team receive a copy of your review. I will also make a special mention of Tobi and Mareta at our morning briefing. As you have described, the outstanding care and attention from our staff is second to none! I also thank you for the wonderful comments on our Ivi Restaurant. You can see why Ivi was the winner of the “Best Restaurant in Fiji” at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards.
I truly believe that we have the best restaurants of any resort in the South Pacific. Roisinch27, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding and holiday. We look forward to the day when you and your husband return for another visit to our beautiful resort.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Our family of 4 have just returned from this magnificant holiday.
I really wanted my 9 and 11 yo to experience how people live in other countries and The Outrigger on the Lagoons' people and location surely assisted with that.
From the traditional welcome to the worry-free 5.30am departure nothing was ever a problem.
All staff at the Outrigger seemed to enjoy themselves and I must have shared a 'Bula' with at least 100 people on a daily basis, from the serving staff in the restaurants to the groundskeepers, and even the friendly stall ladies.
Our Talai Butler Jo was fantastic and I was only expecting drinks for my wife and I but he made sure we were all looked after. Jo changed shifts while we were there and I saw him at the butler desk one morning and he was so enthusiasic to see us I think he may have pulled a muscle jumping out of the chair, he was so eager to say hello.
I sighted the Managers walking around the resort at various stages often stopping to say hello to people, which was a nice touch. I knew they were Managers because I'd seen their pictures on the Facebook page.
The view from our Deluxe Ocean Room was awesome and we quite often sat out on the balcony enjoying our Butler Service drinks.
Breakfasts were a highlight and it was good having different things on offer each day.
The choice in the shops is great and they appear to be on par with the prices in Sigatoka.
On our last day we went up to the spa, which I must say was quite an experience. I felt like royalty. I had no idea what of the 8 or so applications was what, I can just assume it was good.
It was hard to get into the Fijian experience as the place was full of Aussies so it felt like a Fijian themed resort in Qld. It wasn't until you get out of the resort that the true culture becomes apparent. The village visit with Uncle Jim is a must do which highlights both how the Fijian people live and also the partnership that this village has with the Outrigger. Quite an eye opener.

Now a few of my disappointments:
1. Families of 4 are expected to utilise 2 small double beds. Most other places I've stayed have a queen and 2 singles as their main fallback, not 2 doubles. Lucky the kids aren't bigger or we would have been in trouble,
2. Each day our towels were replaced, regardless of whether we'd hung them up or not, although this is not my concern, these towels were replaced with 3 each day. They'd take 4 and leave 3. Every day we had to ask for extra towels,
3. The prices in the restaurants was quite expensive. I know they're fairly on par with what we pay in Australia, but this is not Australia. I'm not sure if I'm alone but I pushed the budget as far as I could so I could enjoy a bit of luxury without having to then pay excessive food prices. For example bottles of water at the restaurant, 500ml $6 odd....I bought a 1.5L bottle in Sigatoka for $2.80! To some people the cost of food etc may not worry them but I found myself questioning why I was eating at the resort with these high prices and ended up going up the road,
4. Further to food, the kids had armbands that enabled them to eat free. The meals they ordered from Bavari were quite light on size and I ended up having to order extra food (at my expense) so they weren't hungry. Strangely the exact same meal ordered in the Sundowner was fairly good in size. These meals might be ok for a 6 yo but for an 11 yo it was quite disappointing,
5. Hairbraiding. My daughter wanted her hair braided like all the other kids that were there. We had things planned for the first few days so it wasn't until about day 4 that we looked into it. We went to the HairBraiding station and the woman there said she was booked out for the next 4 days, and it only looked like she had about 6 appointments per day. My suggestion would be - there is enough room there, why not get a couple of braiders going at the same time?
5. We were under the impression that the items being sold by the stall holders around the resort were local handicrafts so I was enthusiastic to help them out, but after a while I saw the same things for sale in shops in Sigatoka for the same price. How many of these village ladies have the facility to smelt Silver in their village?
6. Frog/Crab racing. The guy running this event raises the bid when even the slightest movement is made by any of the crowd. While this can be amusing and entertaining I felt for the poor guy next to me whose kid had waved to his mother to come over and had subsequently been lumped with a $50 bet,
7. A public phone would have been good for people who have phone cards to call home. Not everyone is happy using the inroom phone.
One thing I would have liked was for the resort to provide a copy of the activities list prior to checking in as there were a few I would have liked to attend but had already planned things on these days with the tour company.
Don't get me wrong, the disappointments listed above did not taint our overall enjoyment and the pluses far outweighed the minuses.

Overall our Fiji experience is one we'll never forget.
Thank you Outrigger.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade to the Deluxe Ocean or the Bure so you can enjoy the Talai Butler service. Well w...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RockGod70
Dear RockGod70
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast! It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort! We really do appreciate your comments about our staff – we are truly blessed with a magnificent team! I will most definitely pass on your warm wishes to your talai butler, Jo. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the high standard of the buffet breakfast that we serve in the Vale ni Kane restaurant – so much to choose from!
I sincerely apologise for the lack of service that you received from the braiding attendant by the pool. I assure you that this particular person has been taken to task over this issue.
The bedding configuration throughout the resort is either King bed with a sofa bed or two Queen beds. However we do have family suites with a King bed and 2 x Queen Beds as well – obviously they do cost a little more! Please note that we invite the ladies from our local villages to come into the resort and sell their wares at no cost. All monies raised from the sale of these goods is used by the village people to upgrade village facilities. Whilst not all of the crafts and jewellery is made by the village ladies, most of it is. I must sincerely apologise that you did not get an activities planner when you checked in at the resort. This is the normal practice. I will most definitely follow up with our front desk team.
RockGod70, Once again we thank you for your comments – We look forward to the day when you to our beautiful resort.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Not a fan of resorts generally as I like to explore a destination, not just sit around the pool all day, but the Outrigger was fantastic. Plenty of choice for food, entertainment and there are local shops and dining options within walking dustance of the resort. Additionally, the tour desk in the lobby is excellent for going further afield. We did the Sigtoka river safari and the zipline tour which were both excellent. Additionally, the activities desk on the beach can not only organise snorkeling, kayaking etc but we did a FJ$10 return bus trip to sigatoka through them and had a great half day exploring this small community. Even brought back some mangoes, paw paws and limes for an evening snack. Back to the resort, we had a beachside bure right n the beach with 2 hammocks, deck chairs and the best sunrise views. Our friends had plantation bures which are the same configuration in the middle of the resort. All staff were fantastic if you can stand the constant "Buls's" but get them to teach you some new words and you'll get an even better reaction from them. Only negative was that a couple of my friends did get sick on the last day, probably from eating in town, and the Doctor was completely unco-operative, unavailable and unfriendly. I think the resort could afford a staff Dr or at least a Nurse considering their size and the fact they have a medical centre. Wonderful pool, great restaurants and a fantastic range of activities made this an enjoyable stay for all of us. And seriously, tip the staff, particularly the butlers.

Room Tip: Beachfront bures are fantastic, but the plantation bures are the same size and about FJD$2000 cheape...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephen C
bayres42
Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your outstanding review! It sounds like you had an awesome holiday experience. As you found out, we are truly blessed with a wonderful team. They are what makes the difference between Outrigger and all of the other resorts in Fiji. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the many and varied dining experiences that we provide at the resort. So many options and such good food! I have noted your comments regarding the Resort Doctor – I will most definitely follow up on this issue! People really do need to be careful when dining outside the resort???? I was pleased to read that you took advantage of the many and varied tours that are available on the Coral Coast. As you found out, the Coral Coast is the adventure and cultural capital of Fiji.
Bayres42, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you and your friends back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,016 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!