“Definitely more oriented towards families and large groups”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Aus
“Definitely more oriented towards families and large groups”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Chose Outrigger as my husband and I were attending a wedding closeby and this seemed the ideal laid back resort. Came during a midweek and they were very hospitable and friendly, welcoming us from the start.
Our room was an Ocean View on Level 3. It was okay, partial views of the beach. However wouldn't recommend on weekends if you plan to sleep early or wake up late due to the music from the bar and the kids pool which are extremely close by.
My biggest gripe is calling for any kind of service can be somewhat lacking - called every speed dial to try and get a shuttle from our room to the Bebe Spa but it took over 20 minutes before someone responded.
Also at one stage, we called Inroom Dining and I asked for extra items with our order. I repeated myself 3 times for the same item and all the lady said was "Is that all you are ordering?" Not once did she acknowledge my request and so when my order came, of course it wasn't there so I had to ask delivery staff to go get it. However the staff that came to deliver our food each time was amazing, efficient and service with a smile.
We had 2 dinners and 1 breakfast at the Sundowner - great food, especially the pizzas. However again, had issues with the service. For breakfast, they provide one hot drink and one cold drink however the waitress kept refusing to give us what was stated on the menu. We asked her to check so then half an hour into our meal, she came back, acknowledging she was wrong. Perhaps staff should be educated about what's on offer before they commence service?
My favourite area of the resort is the adults pool and the Bebe Spa. Great areas to chill out and enjoy the facilities which are all fairly new and modern.
In general, everyone who works at Outrigger is always friendly and say "bula" when they greet you, which feels more personal in comparison to a luxury resort I visited further up north.
Overall, for this stay I considered only average for a couple and definitely not for business (no free wifi or business centre). This place is extremely family-oriented so if I had a family or large group, it would be ideal.

Room Tip: Not ideal for couples on weekends, especially for ocean view rooms. Too close to kids pool were they...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blinx
JasonZvatoraFiji, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear blinx,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent family holiday at our beautiful resort. Firstly, I would like to apologise for the service issues you encountered during your stay. I can assure you that this is quiet unusual for our resort and we generally receive rave reviews on the services provided. We will most certainly discuss your feedback to ensure that these issues do not re-occur. We are delighted you enjoyed our new adults only pool (Vahavu) and our award winning Bebe Spa Sanctuary. They most certainly provide quiet areas for the adults to relax and enjoy the Fijian hospitality. I am also very sorry to hear that your relaxation was impacted due to noise from the bar and pool. We have addressed this with our team and it is also worth noting that we have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day and if for any reason our guests enjoyment is impacted, we encourage our guests to notify the Duty Manager so that this can be rectified immediately. With regards to complimentary wifi, the costs in providing internet services in Fiji is significant and as such, we provide wifi at a nominal fee. I also note that we have two cafes in the resort that provide complimentary internet with any purchase for those who required internet services. Whilst we have these services on offer, we encourage our guests to disconnect and truly relax into Fiji time. Thank you again for your feedback.
Warm Coral Coast Regards,
Jason Zvatora
Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We took our 7 y/o & 4 y/o on their first overseas holiday & decided on The Outrigger on the Lagoon and we were not disappointed. We planned a 9 day stay in a plantation bure.

We received a huge BULLA as we arrived from the gateman & it continued with the porters & reception. We arrived late at night & the kids were exhausted and we were so impressed that within a couple of minutes we were checked in and taken straight to our plantation bure. We were starving & ordered room service which arrived within 10-15 minutes. We were in Fiji so thought we should have a cocktail with dinner. Our butler ran around getting us cocktails and making sure we were ok....all within an hour of check in.....wow!! Room service was not that expensive either.

Our plantation bure was right near the restaurants and pool, which was so convenient and would highly recommend this style of accommodation. The bure was big enough for four, fresh & clean. Each day we returned to the bure we found beautiful flowers left everywhere through it. The hammock chair was a huge hit when the canapés and drinks came each afternoon. The walk to reception & shops is not far at all and quite enjoyable with the spectacular gardens. The butler service was fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed being treated like rock stars. Our butlers remembered our names & the kids names and most importantly remembered what drinks to bring each day.

We pre purchased food vouchers for breakfast, lunch & dinner and would highly recommend these. It was so simple, loads of choices & we could not fault the food. We ate at all the restaurants except the Ivi. Our kids loved trying all the different foods and the best bit for them was being able to sit around the pool and eat lunch. I was so happy to see they catered for simple everyday lunches for the kids, like cheese or peanut butter sandwiches because after a while they got sick of the hot food - burgers, chips etc.

We went on a few half day tours and still managed to use our food vouchers as the restaurants are opened early in the morning and lunch is being served until late in the afternoon. There was only one day that we missed lunch.

We would highly recommend the Sigatoka River Safari half day tour, from the jet boat ride to meeting a local village, to the kava ceremony, traditional lunch and dancing to the return jet boat ride home, it was amazing. We also went on a half day tour to the South Sea Island called 'Finding Nemo' which was breath taking. A half day or snorkelling, swimming and of course trying to find nemo! The kids loved this. We also went to the Eco Park which was also great.

All the staff at the Outrigger were so friendly and we never got sick of hearing BULLA. We joined in the activities around the resort and were made to feel so welcome at everyone single one of them.

Our kids didn't go into kids club but others that we met were highly complimentary of the service. Our kids preferred to stay with us and we loved every minute of having them with us.

We were lucky enough to meet a few families around the pool and have exchanged numbers and will keep in contact. We are now planning our next trip together to the Outrigger.

If you are travelling with kids I would highly recommend organising private transfers to & from the resort. We did this and after speaking with others found out we saved about an hour or more in travelling time. Worth every cent.

We can't wait to return. Vinaka to Peter and the wonderful and amazing staff at the Outrigger on the Lagoon.

Room Tip: Plantation bure was central to everything an would highly recommend this room type
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Belinda J
Bula Belinda J,
What a fantastic review and we are so happy you selected Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji for your first family holiday. It is great to read that you experienced our friendly staff and their amazing BULA spirit. They are most certainly the back bone of our resort and we are so proud of the experience that they create. The meal vouchers that you have mentioned are sensational value and provide a full buffet breakfast, a two course lunch and either a two course or buffet dinner daily all for approximately AUD$85 per day (you would pay this for a buffet dinner alone at some resorts in Australia). It really sounds like you took the opportunity to also enjoy the local area and attractions and the Sigatoka River Safari is also my favourite tour. It combines adventure with culture and sightseeing into a fun day out. A must do! Belinda J, thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My family and I just returned from our lovely stay at the Outrigger Fiji. From the moment we arrived, we felt we didn't have a care in the world. After an hour plus drive from the airport, we were greeted with happy, smiling faces, and a beautiful "island feel" in the reception area. After refreshing cool face towels and drinks, and a seamless check-in, we were escorted to our room. Wow - what a view. Overlooking acres of lush gardens that ended at the sea, the room had an authentic Fijian feel and understated luxury. The room was in the Deluxe Oceanview category, on the top level, to the left of the Reception area. I can highly recommend this category of room - it was so comfortable, the beds are to die for, and the talai butler service spoils you each afternoon with bubbles and canapes. There is a small walk to the pool and restaurant area, however this never bothered us. We called it the "bula walk", as we were greeted by many warm "Bula's" , as we walked through the stunning gardens and streams down to the restaurants and pool. (Great to walk off those buffets too!).

The facilities are wonderful. The pool and deckchair areas are large enough to never feel crowded. The adult pool looked peaceful and luxurious, though unfortunately we never got a chance to experience it. Our daughter tried the Kid's Club a couple of times (she loved the balloon dance), however was just as happy playing with her new found friends. The tradewinds kept the temperature down, perhaps sometimes a little too cool for swimming some afternoons.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants, though didn't get the opportunity to try the Ivi fine dining restaurant. Breakfast was wonderful, so much choice and variety. The lunch and dinners in the Bavari Bar and Sundowner Lounge were a little hit and miss at times, but generally the whole experience overall in both of these restaurants was really pleasant. The view from the Sundowner is just magic, and the atmosphere in all restaurants is wonderful. The "Kids Eat Free" menu is great, really good variety and healthy choices.

If you get the chance, don't miss the "behind the scenes" tour with the General Manager, Peter Hopgood - it's very interesting and you get to meet a number of the "back of house" staff - a great experience.

I've left the most complimentary comments for last. The staff at the Outrigger are exceptional. I don't want to single out anyone in particular as everyone was so warm, friendly and efficient. I will, however, make mention of Moses, Guest Services Manager, who went out of his way to ensure all of our needs and expectations were met. Everyone from the transport boys at the entrance, to our butler, all of the wait staff, housekeeping, activities and garden staff - all were so kind, patient and accommodating. The quality of the staff and service provided was further evident after staying at an island resort following our Outrigger stay - staff there were not a match for what we had become accustomed to at Outrigger. I will never forget the happy smiles and warm greetings of the Outrigger family.

Peter, you have done an extraordinary job in creating this superb team in this little piece of paradise in the Pacific. I do hope we get the opportunity to return.

Bula my friends,

Ulu family, Sydney

Room Tip: Top level rooms left in the wings left and right of the reception area have superb views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gamahoz
JasonZvatoraFiji, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Dear gamahoz,
Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and your family had an unbelievable holiday at our beautiful resort.
We appreciate your comments on our staff. As you found out they love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I will most certainly ensure that Moses receives a copy of your feedback. I will also discuss your feedback with regards to the Lunch time meals with our Food and Beverage Manager and Executive chef.
Gamahoz, once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you and the family back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future.
Vinaka and Warm Regards
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We chose Outrigger based on what we were looking for in our holiday (bure by the beach) and all the fantastic reviews. I can honestly say we were not disappointed. The resort is absolutely beautiful and well kept. But this wouldn't mean much if the staff weren't good. I can certainly say that the staff went above and beyond the call of duty with their helpfulness, welcoming smiles, and attention. My son had his 6th birthday there on the 7th October and wow, did he get a special day. Birthday serenades and chocolate cake at breakfast, lunch & dinner as well as in our bure at canape time. We didn't see that one coming! Followed by arriving back at our bure after dinner to find Epa, our Talei butler had put a beautiful Happy Birthday message on my son's bed in flower petals and balloons!! Thanks so much Epa!! What a surprise!!. All the staff were so amazing from the Talei Butlers, waiting staff, restaurant receptions, room cleaners and basically every one you pass. I couldn't get everyone's names, but I have a special thank you to Epa & Loata from the Talei Butler service, Sisilia (Baravi), Rosie (Sundowner), Maca, the lovely ladies at the front desk at VNK, and the musicians who were so accommodating to a wee 6 year old's fascination with their performance. Thank you Outrigger for a holiday to remember!!

Room Tip: We had an Ocean Breeze bure which was close to the pool & restaurants and was a beautiful spot t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
JasonZvatoraFiji, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Bula Donna T,

Greetings from the Coral Coast and by the sounds of it you have had a Fijian holiday to remember! I am so glad that the resort exceeded your expectations. As you have noted, our staff are truly amazing and take care of all the small special little touches so you can simply relax and enjoy their warm Fijian hospitality. I will ensure that your feedback reaches those mentioned in your review and until next time we meet you at our beautiful resort BULA!
Regards,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

best resort ever! my parents got married in nov 2012. lovely location. THE STAFF ARE SO FRIENDLY! would recommend. its a bit of a hiketo get to reception, but thats good because the breakfast is wonderful and huge!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tay_13738
Dear Tay_13738,
Thank you for your review on your stay with us at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji. Our team of dedicated staff are the friendliest team I have ever had the chance of working with and they make our guests holidays’ that extra bit special. Also, I am glad you enjoyed our buffet breakfast which is rated as the best buffet breakfast in Fiji!
Kind regards,
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We loved this resort. Stayed in the main part of the hotel, was nice and quiet. Rooms a good size and clean. Nanny service and kids club were fantastic, meant we got some time to relax away from the kids!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Melissa C
Bula Melissa C,
As a parent, the perfect holiday is one that the kids have a great time and us big kids also have the chance to relax. Our Meimei's (Nanny’s) are fully trained in child care as well as first aid and they are simply amazing with children which allows the parents to also have a holiday. We are so glad you experienced this and totally enjoyed our resort. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back to our resort at some stage in the near future.
Kind regards,
Qld
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have recently returned from Outriggers where some friends were married. What a beautiful place! From the moment you're greeted at the airport and whisked away on a bus or chartered vehicle, to when you check out and are returned to the airport, the staff are nothing but lovely. The bus ride was an adventure, to be sure, but our driver was cheery and didn't seem to mind driving off into the night with us all onboard and he pointed out various landmarks. Your arrival at Outrigger, is totally unforgettable with a big Fijian at the gate who yells out "Bula! Bula! Buuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" and he's heard all over the resort! Fantastic!!
The resort itself is absolutey spotless and very beautiful and lush, but it's the people who make it extra special. It would be lovely to be able to name everyone, but impossible, so a quick recognition for the few names I do remember: Semi, Rekah, Wise, Mere at the Adults Only pool, the beautiful girls at the spa, Jerry, our Talai butler and the amazing and gorgeous Apolosis (sorry for the spelling) at Ivi Restaurant...actually all the staff there were amazing. Being sung a farewell by the Ivi staff was definitely a highlight and something I won't forget in a hurry.
Our room was cleaned daily and the staff were meticulous. We never felt like there was an issue with safety, even though we had our wallets, passports etc locked in the safe. I left my expensive camera gear out in the room and never once worried about it.
Our friends wedding was amazing! Everything was catered for them, leaving them free to enjoy their day and their guests.
I could sit and write for hours about the great time we had, but I won't! Suffice it to say, that once again, I have fallen in love with the Fijian people. I will definitely return to Fiji!!

Room Tip: We booked a resort room and were given one on the ocean side, on the third floor. We overlooked the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
JasonZvatoraFiji, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear KavaCat,

Greetings from the Isle of Smiles! Wow, it really does appear that you had a great holiday. I am thrilled to read your feedback about our friendly staff and I am sure they will be just as excited to read your comments. They definitely add the Fijian magic to our beautiful resort and make our guests feel at home. I am glad you experienced a number of the Adults only areas during your stay (Ivi and Vahavu). Whilst we do attract a large number of families with children, the resort has world class services for couples to enjoy a relaxing holiday. We can’t wait to welcome you back to Fiji and Outrigger.
Regards,
Jason Zvatora
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,015 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!