“Genuinely friendly and helpful”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband & I have just returned from 7nights at this resort. We stayed in a Bure and we were so happy with the ambiance of the room and its location in the resort. We had wonderful butler service which was a real treat. The Bure was clean and airy and had all the appeal of staying in traditional dwelling with a 5star feel. All the staff in the resort were friendly and helpful and it was a real feeling of genuine happiness which must be a reflection of the management of the resort and its treatment of staff. We spent a lot of time in the adult's pool which was great, though we love little people we just wanted to relax without listening to squeals. I would definitely recommend this resort both the couples and families.

Room Tip: The Bure appeared the most private for us
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denise F
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Denise F

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your comments in regards to the facilities at the resort. There is so much to do, or, should you wish so little!
You can clearly understand why Outrigger was voted the best resort at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards. We are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the South Pacific.
Loved your comments about our new “adults only” swimming pool, Vahavu! This facility has brought a real balance to the resort.
Denise F, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My newly wedded wife and I have just been married at the Outrigger, Fiji. I have to say that this was on of our best experiences to date. Although not normally the type top enjoy the resort type holiday, we were seeking a destination wedding for a uniques wedding experience for us and also for our guests and were not disappointed with any part of this experience. Firstly if you are tossing up between resorts in Fiji there are a few main resorts that will stick out, and the Outrigger will be one with the tag, family friendly. None of our guests brought children over and it was a concern leading up to our stay, let me say that this isn't a problem. This place is huge! And also, thank god for the newly built adult only pool. This area is soooooo gooood! Relax here and enjoy the beautiful food, the local beers and the swim up bar cocktails, with not a child in sight. The main pool has a really good bar and restaurant right beside it, and to tell you the truth we never noticed the dreaded families whilst there. The only time we noticed the families and children were when we were on the move.
Being our first trip to Fiji I have to say a highlight was the meeting the people. Without a doubt they are some of the friendliest people on Earth.
The food is pretty good, especially poolside at the adults pool I must say. And If you feel like a change and also saving some money there are equally as good, if not better places to eat, 5min, 10min 15min away. We went to Koko's twice, which is really handy as they will pick the group up and drop of when finished. The wedding itself was amazing, and really exceeded my expectations. We had brought over a few trinkets for the table decorations, but apart from that everything was done by our wedding planner, Ashmeen. Let me tell you that the we did not have to worry about a thing. This is what these guys do. Nothing is a problem to organise, we had a meeting a few days before the wedding and a run sheet is then planned and given to the parties concerned. All you need to do is turn up.
Our room was Ok, we stayed in 826 after complaining about a smoker on the floor below we were moved. We had actually asked to stay in a Bure, for a the wedding night and the following night but were told that that they were all taken which is fine, until or friends complained about there billing and were promptly moved into a bure on the very nights we had requested. Very disappointing considering it was our wedding! I would also say that you should get your billing info printed, and take it back to your room to review before paying. We had been charged the nightly fee four more times after pre paying everything, and also realised after leaving that we had paid for drinks on our wedding night which were not even part of our drinks package!!
All in all this is a wonderful place to get married and the whole seven days was a fantastic place to stay with family and friends to start our new lives together. Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor numbers equals better views...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris G

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful wedding and holiday experience at our beautiful resort! Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. As you found out, they seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I will most definitely pass your comments onto Asmeen, our weddings manager!
I sincerely apologise that my staff did not offer you a Bure on your wedding night when requested – I will most certainly follow up! I also apologise for the inaccuracies of your bill on checkout – Once again I will address this issue with my managers at the resort.
Chris G, once again we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding and holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have recently returned from 2 weeks in Fiji. We chose the Outrigger to get married and we weren't disappointed. Asmeen and her team do a great job, everything ran smoothly and we had the best time, the fireshow was a definate highlight. On our return to our room that night, our Talei butler, Jerry had decorated our room with flower petals which was a lovely surprise. The next day we returned to our room to find a card and gift from the general manager, lovely!!
Love, love, love the big BULA BULA BULA at the front gate, and the staff are so friendly. Our 2 boys were cared for by the mei mei's a couple of times. After that, every time our 2yr old saw a lady in pink he would yell out "there's my friend" and run to her for a cuddle. We loved the mei mei service at breakfast too.
After leaving Outrigger we spent time at 2 other resorts and didn't find the staff as friendly and happy which was a bit disappointing. You guys really do have a great team and we can't wait to
come back! All our guests only had positive things to say too!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sally M
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Sally M

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you had such an “amazing” wedding and holiday at our beautiful resort! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. They seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I will most definitely pass your comments onto Asmeen, our weddings manager! I loved your comments about your son and the meimei nannies!
Sally M, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Outrigger early October and had a fantastic trip. The Deluxe Ocean View rooms were clean and comfortable and we loved sitting on the balcony of an evening with our complimentary champagne! I travelled with my husband and 8 month old baby, my parents, and an Aunty and her husband. The resort was fantastic for all of us. The main pool was great and the adults only pool gave us the option to sneak away a few times to have a quiet cocktail.

The staff at the resort are fantastic and so friendly. I have travelled quite extensively and never experience such great hospitality and it was lovely to see how much the staff enjoyed interacting with the children at the resort. We didn't make use of the nanny service however the lovely staff were always coming up to Isaac and giving him a kiss or a cuddle. A special thanks to Laisa who brought us our champagne and canapés of an evening.

We found the breakfast buffet to be really good in the mornings and the adults only breakfast at the Sundowner was really nice (worth trying). The food at the poolside restaurant was a bit hit & miss for us so we tended to eat at the Sundowner most days. We loved the farewell song on the last evening and the personal goodbyes we received from the staff.

Overall a great holiday destination, particularly for families with children!

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Elisha_JN

Dear Elisha_JN

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
It sounds like you and your family had a “GREAT” holiday!
As you have detailed in your review there is something for everybody at our beautiful resort! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the complimentary champagne provided by your beautiful talai butler, Laisa. I was also pleased to read that you and your husband took the time to visit our new “Adults Only” swimming pool, Vahavu!
Thank you for your comments on our breakfast buffet and the Sundowner Bar and Grill – Both are wonderful dining experiences!
Elisha_JN, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on Trip Advisor. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I just returned from a week at outriggers resort, Fiji. The resort was so comfortable and the staff were incredibly friendly, helpful and efficient. In particular, the Vahavu team-Waisale, Susana, Llaitia, Vani, Rekha, Mere and Jack. They looked after us so well, and we were always greeted with a huge smile and an interest in how we were enjoying our stay. Real service with a smile.
These people certainly made my holiday in Fiji and I thank them sincerely for their exceptional service. Highly recomend this resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear supersalMackay

Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort! As you found out we are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the world. I will most definitely share your comments with the team at Vahavu!
supersalMackay, once again we thank you for your enthusiastic comments. All of the team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Family of 4 with 5yo and 7yo

Highlights:
Retail shops within the resort
Vendors selling jellewry
Sundowner Restaurant
PJ's Island snorkelly all day tour
Bread- bakery products

Lowlights
Not being able to do watersports like we did on the island
Too rough for any of the kayaks etc
No real snorkelling to be done, recommend go on island tour while there

HINT
Bring lots of cash recommend 1000 FJD for shopping , horse riding next door, exploring outside cafes, Crab/Frog Races, Hair Braiding, extra activities eg Eco Park

Accomodation 8/10

Stayed in Ocean Breeze bure which was probably best as ocean front ones got the wind and we were literally 5m behind, its not like the islands where view is essential,Its also private compared to the other bures that get so many walkers by, you only get those staying in one of the 7 ocean breeze bures going past

Needs improving:
LIGHTING, its too dark to read and do makeup

#1 SUNDOWNER (beach restuarant) 9.5/10

Why? It represents value for money

Great food, great staff, reasonable pricing, best KIDS eat FREE MENU
Hint: You must BOOK its the best so its the most popular
Cannot rave enough about the food, only exception is the Risotto, too thick the rest is magnificent including Tasmanian Eye Fillet, its 45AUD, totally worth it cooked to perfection

Ivy sorry was big disappointment 5/10

Not that expensive, probably 20% more than Sundowner
This is why it didnt rate for me
1. They only sell bottles of wine, if you only want a glass good luck finding out what you can have as they try hard to push a bottle on you and don't really know much about whats available as alternative
2. Food little flavour, the cheese soufle was like a womens weekly cheddar scone not a lite and fluffly blue cheese souflee and vegetables, hmm a 1/4 of a peice of asparagus and a cherry tomato ?
Steak was way overcooked for medium rare, which as their signature restaurant you would expect it to be right
3. Staff least polite in the resort, not rude just dismissive
Very quiet and lacks the atmosphere the other restaurants have
There was one saving grace the BREAD at the start was excellent, they make all their own bread and their pastry staff should be acknowledged for exceptional bakery products throughout the resort (just serve butter, with great hot bread - butter not oil)

Chinese Restaurant (middle of the Pool area) 5/10
Took forever to get food
Very expensive for Asian food, expect 100AUD for 2 people
Drinks came after the meal

Adults only Pool 8/10
Great cocktails
Foods tasted amazing, its just a bit pricey for the fact they are very tiny meals

Kids Pool Food 6.5/10
Non Alcoholic drinks are the best part of pool menu they are worth trying
Food is ok, its fairly cheap and basic

Main Buffet Restaurant 7/10
Its a buffet so expect nothing amazing and you will be pleasantly surprised
Breakfast is great due to Smoothie, Egg and Waffle stations
The other breaky foods that sit out their for ages are often cold and soggy

SHOPPING 10/10
Shops are consession so the resort does not dictate pricing
They are great value even against Sigatoka prices and they are better than the aiport
JACKS was a highlight with best quality wood (no issue with customs) that we saw in FIJI
Also VAT 15% is returned to if you spend over 500 FJ (easier than it sounds) at the airport

JEWELLERY 9/10
The ladies selling jewellery along the walkways were wonderful with the kids
Just ask them what you want and they will make it
HAGGLE prices vary greatly between them all
Hint:
Make sure they put it on fishing line not string if you buy necklace or bracelet
No issues with customs

Meals Option- recommend pay as you go
We did not take the all meals included option as we put on too much weight last time
This time we spent less than the all meals included price and put on less weight (smile)
Family of 4 adults (took other family) and 2 kids on top of free meals it cost us AUD 1300 for 7 days excluding break
We had 2 courses each meal and couple of drinks each

There are other restuarants just outside the resort, try them i personally thought the restort had best offer

HORSE Riding
Literally next door to Outrigger, just walk along beach and you will see them
Its 20 FJD for half hour for kids
Horses are fine, very safe, pay in cash as they arent part of the resort

BUS into Sigatoka
1FJD to get the bus in, anywhere from 30-50FJD to get the driver
Many do both, shopping is ok in Sigatoka, again the resort really covers main offers and they are cheaper on many occaisions

Bebe Spa 7/10
Its good, just felt it was over priced, think Australian pricing and then double it
To get a pedicure which is literally a foot scrub and nails painted was 140 FJD (85 AUD)
The difference is TIME, you get much longer at the bebe spa than you would back home, but you pay for it

Bebe Spa Restaurant 6/10
View is breath taking
The cocktails not to expectations, ingredients were out of balance
We didnt try the High Tea

Room Tip: Ocean Breeze Bure are excellent, protected from the wind and lot less traffic going past than other...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank TaffyM

Dear Taffy M

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case there were several areas that did not meet with your expectations. We apologise for this occurrence!
I have noted your comments in regards to our restaurants and I have shared these comments with our food and beverage team. You will be pleased to note that the restaurants at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are regarded as the best in Fiji. It is obvious from your comments that we can still do better and we will!
It should also be noted that our Bebe Spa has been the winner of 2 international awards over the last 6 weeks!
I have noted you comments on haggling - This is not the custom in Fiji!
It should also be noted that the horse riding operation which is located outside the resort is not promoted by the resort. This is due to unsafe work practices!
TaffyM, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide extensive comment on your recent visit to our beautiful resort. Hopefully one day you will come back and visit us again?

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This hotel is superior in views, gardens and decor
staff not as friendly as other smaller resorts I stayed busier and recommendation try out local eateries the prices of the meals can be offensive and very expensive for families
also stay as close to amenities as possible otherwise a long trek with children to pools and restaurants
overall great

Room Tip: down seaside not so far to walk for restaurants be can be gruesome for young families
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sun soul B
JasonZvatoraFiji, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Sun soul B,

Thank you for your recent review. I am disappointed to read that you did not find our team as friendly as other resorts you have been at. This is very surprising as we generally receive nothing but rave reviews on our teams friendliness and willing to make our guests holidays special and memorable. I encourage Trip Advisor readers to review all recent reviews which will showcase how popular our team are with the vast majority of travellers. With regards to the pricing of restaurants, we feel we provide great value in a 5 star resort. With beers fromAUD$5, Cocktails from AUD$12, Buffet Breakfast from AUD$23, I feel you will be hard pressed to find similar value in a 5 star resort. We thank you for your review and are delighted that you enjoyed the gardens and views of the resort as well as the unique Fijian décor.

Kind regards,
Jason Zvatora
Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!