“Mixed feelings”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We visited for a family wedding. Stayed 5 nights. Firstly our arrival. We arrived on my wife's 60th birthday which had been uneventful for her as we had spent most of day travelling. As soon as we got out of our cab, we were met by a group of the staff singing happy birthday to her. On check in we were met by our butler and driven to our bure and on entering found the room decorated with balloons and a happy birthday message spelled out in petals on the bed, and a piece of cake with happy birthday wishes piped around the edge of plate. An absolutely delightful arrival. Further happy birthday singing and cake at Sundowner bar later.
The room was very good. Good bed and facilities. Water pressure a bit weak, but ok. Many visits by butlers during stay with champagne and night caps. Service and staff very good.
Wedding was done very well in lovely chapel overlooking resort. Reception good with good service. Food ok.
Rest of week spent lazing around adults only pool which was a great pool and great idea for those without children. Also kayaking and snorkelling in lagoon. Not great reef but interesting nevertheless. Dinners in various of the resort restaurants.
Some of our family group, both children and adults got 24 hour vomiting bug. I note that a number of reviewers have mentioned similar issues. My theory is that those who swam in the big pool were the only ones in our family group to get sick in this way. No proof, but heard other families discussing their kids being sick. Theory only but management would be advised to thoroughly investigate the cause of these illnesses.
In general, the staff were great with that typical Fijian friendliness. I found some a bit different with some vagueness in their style. I was served a hot glass of red wine and my wife's white wine was off and had to be returned. It was replaced by good glass "from new bottle".
As with many resorts like this, the food and wine prices were steep. We spent $AUD800 on food and wine in 5 days with quite modest eating & drinking. Some people resorted to eating / drinking outside resort at nearby establishments.
Summary: we did enjoy ourselves here despite some of the negatives listed above. The welcome and style of the majority of staff was excellent. I would have rated higher if some of the above issues had been better. I think this could be an excellent resort with only a small amount of tweaking.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Doctorraitch

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your comments in regards to the facilities at the resort. There is so much to do, or, should you wish so little!
You can clearly understand why Outrigger was voted the best resort at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards. We are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the South Pacific. As you found out our staff also enjoy a celebration – We trust that you enjoyed their enthusiastic response to your birthday.
Doctorraitch, I sincerely apologise for the illness that some of your party came down with. Unfortunately there has been a very aggressive 24 hour virus going around Fiji and a large number of our staff and guests have been impacted by this virus. The good news is that it appears that we are over the worst and life is slowly getting back to normal. I assure you that chemical balance tests are undertaken of our resort swimming pools every 2 hours and we also undertake water quality tests which are sent to the University of the South Pacific for verification.
Doctorraitch, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at the Outrigger, we decided to get married OS, after much researching decided on the Outrigger. 80 guests came with us, it was fantastic!!! The resort is beautiful, the people and staff are lovely, the most beautiful happy people you will meet, always will to do anything to help. We stayed in a beachfront Bure, Our son (7yr old) just jumped down onto the beach and snorkeled for hours, he loved it! Our bure was lovely, the only thing was the huge king size bed had a raise in the middle so we seemed to be parted when we slept, the bed was still very comfortable. On our wedding night the butler put a love heart and congrats in rose petals on our bed. We had a MeiMei (nanny) for our daught (7 mths old) Niumai was fantastic. I was so worried about leaving our daughter with anyone as she had only been with us, but Niumai did everything we asked and Amaya loved her!!! The food was fantastic, especially at the wedding, everyone raved about the food. The butler service was great, every afternoon champers and a light canapes delivered to our door to have whilst watching the sunset. Then later at night a liquor shot and mini muffin or tart-let was delivered, delicious!! :-) Perfect destination for a wedding or family holiday. It will be a special place to us for ever and we will return regularly!! I think our guests will too, we didn't have one bad report!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GCB2013
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear GCB2013

Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you, your family and your friends had a wonderful wedding occasion and holiday at our beautiful resort.
I am absolutely thrilled that my weddings and banquets teams could provide you with such a memorable wedding.
I was delighted to read that our staff took such good care of you and your children! Our meimei nanny service is the best that I have encountered in my 30 years in hospitality. The meimei nannies take such good care of the children and as you found out the children just love their nannies. I will most definitely pass your comments onto Niumai
I have also noted your comments regarding the quality of food at the resort. We have searched far and wide to obtain the best produce from all over the world. Whilst most of our fruit and veges and seafood come from Fiji, our beef comes from Tasmania in Australia and our lamb, prawns, scallops and salmon come from New Zealand. Our restaurants are regarded as the best in Fiji - This is an area of our operations that we have worked very hard on!
GCB2013, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

My husband, myself and 3 boys 9,8,and 5 have just come back from 10 days staying at the Outrigger in a very spacious1bed suite+interconnecting room.
I have never been anywhere where the staff were so warm and welcoming an nothing was problem and always smiling .
We had food vouchers which worked really well for us. At 2 of the restaurants you did have to pay a top up to dine therebut food was lovely. I found prices of bottles of wine a little pricey.
Meimei service was one of our highlights as our 8 year old boy has Cerebral Palsy, non verbal with mild autism. They called him their VIP.. And he was sure treated like royalty. He was known to all staff and often greeted with loads of cuddles and high fives. We had the same nanny Phoebe for the whole time and she treated him and us like her extended family. Our son preferred to hang out with her and kids club rather then stay with us. All in all our kids had a great time so then we had a great time.
I highly recommend the Outrigger and we will be back.
Michelle Hunter

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Michelle H
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Michelle H

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at our beautiful resort. As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I also appreciate your comments on the meimei nanny service. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about! Kids having fun with their meimei nannies which allows Mums and Dads timeout to relax and also have a holiday. I will most definitely share your comments with Phoebe, you meimei nanny.
Michelle H, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your family return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Outrigger has been there a long time and it shows. At the right price for the right sort of people it would be good value. It's not a place to go if you like the beach but it does have a huge pool for parents and kids and an adult pool. The food in the restaurants is old resort food , the service is island style meaning on island time. The staff in the resort are really lovely people. The smaller islands of Fiji are the pick .

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Connolly47

Dear Connolly47

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
In response to your comments I assure you that the Outrigger is a very well maintained resort and it is only 13 years old! The quality of the resort was acknowledged at this year’s Fiji Tourism Awards wherein it was voted as the “Best Deluxe Resort in Fiji”.
I totally refute your comments on our restaurants! The restaurants at the resort are considered the best in Fiji with our fine dine restaurant Ivi being acknowledged as the Best Restaurant in Fiji both on Trip Advisor and also at the Fiji Tourism Awards. We also have an outstanding Char grill restaurant along with an Asian Restaurant.
To be totally honest Connolly47 I don’t believe Outrigger was the right resort for you!
We are blessed with the best staff that you will find at any resort, not just in Fiji but the whole South Pacific – You only need to read the comments from the other subscribers to Trip Advisor to appreciate the quality of service and product that we deliver to our guests.
Connolly47, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Hopefully one day you will return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from 7 days at the Outrigger. We had a lovely time but if you are about to go there be careful with hygiene as half of our group caught gastro. At least 12 people from our group got it (adults & kids). Also saw 2 other kids unrelated to our group spew at brekky & chatted to 3 other people whose family's were affected so it certainly wasn't contained to our group. They have hand sanitiser all around the resort which I wish I used more. The staff were lovely & management sent toast & gave us late check out when they heard I was sick.
The Mei Mei service was fantastic. We went over for a wedding & booked the 4 day package. My 4 year old son & 18 month daughter old loved Kinnie our nanny & each night we came home to sleeping kiddies.
Venue great for wedding, amazing views from chapel.
Adult pool was lovely, but main pool is also great & fun.
The resort is expensive, but I think all resorts in Fiji are expensive. We travelled to Bali last year and it was much more affordable.
All was good apart from gastro, hope they get it under control as it is a lovely resort.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jessdog7
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Jessdog7

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case the fact that a number of your party ended up with a tummy bug, your overall experience did not meet with your expectations. We apologise for this occurrence!
I assure you that the bug that a number of your travel colleagues contracted was not gastro. In fact it was a 24 hour tummy virus that had been brought to Fiji by some guests. As you have stated, we have sanitizing stations at all of our restaurants and all of our staff utilize hand sanitizing stations before coming to work. We are extremely proud and confident of the food and beverage that we serve at the resort – So much so that every Tuesday, I personally conduct a back of house tour through our kitchens and store areas so that our guests can fully appreciate how a big resort such as Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji operates.
I thank you for your wonderful comments about our meimei nannies. We introduced this professional nanny service back in 2010 and we now employ 35 full time nannies. We have a simple philosophy at the resort – Happy children - Happy parents – therefore if we can entertain the children and keep them happy, Mums and Dads can also enjoy a wonderful holiday break.
Jessdog7, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Hopefully one day you will return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Wow is all l can say .It was my daughters first overseas trip and we both loved it .I went to Fiji 35 years ago and have always wanted to go back and l was not disappointed. Every member of staff was amazing and we miss the happiness of the place . We where ready to do all the tourist things but could not drag ourselves away from the resort. We stayed in a ocean view room and it was wonderful. Our daily arrival of our special treats and the beautiful birthday greeting made of flowers my daughter got was amazing. We loved the choice of food . We loved the water exercises was sooooo much fun we arranged our day around it everyone joined in and we all laughed our way through it .missing the wonderful people the Fiji time and the bula call. We did go some tours from the resort into town and the village .Next time we will try and do more but it is hard to leave the place .I actually cried with the staff when it was time to leave l felt like l was leaving my best friends behind .I have now complete a dream that has come true and more .Have been looking up prices today for next year and l cant wait to be back

Room Tip: top floor was wonderful
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear 794bluesea

Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Yes, dreams do come true at our beautiful resort. We are delighted that you and your daughter had such a wonderful holiday experience!
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! How good is Sepesa and his combined Zumba/ Water Aerobics classes? To be honest in all of my years in hospitality I have never seen so many guests participate in this type of activity – Obviously they are all having a great time?
As you also found out, Fijians love a celebration and I was delighted to read that they took such good care of your daughter on her birthday.
794bluesea, I am absolutely thrilled to read that you are already planning your return visit to our beautiful resort. Once again we thank you for your warm and generous comments.

Regards

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We just got back from our second stay at Outrigger. They remebered us, from 2 years ago, and put us in the same Bure! We got gifts on our bed and a handwritten note welcoming our family back for the second time; how sweet.
We spent 7 nights in an ocean breeze bure. It was heavenly. We are a family of 2 adults, 2 children, and it was the perfect size for us.
We bought the meal vouchers and ate around all of the restuarants. They were all fab, but the steak at Sundowner was hands down the best steak we have ever had (this is from a group of 10 people- all in agreeance!).
The addition of the adults only pool since our last stay was such a fab addition. We LOVE it up there.
The nannies were amazing as always, Inny was so sweet and cried when she had to say goodbye to our babies.
I got sick at one point (a virus) and the hotel called me to check on me, sent me dry toast and lemonades at no cost, we would never get such kind service back here in Australia.
We did the back of house tour with Peter, that was such an awesome thing and you HAVE to do it.
We cant wait to get back. Another 2 years!

P.s The shower pressure is amazing.

Room Tip: Pay for a Bure!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Stacey M

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort for your second visit! Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. As you found out, they seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I will most definitely pass your comments onto Inny, your meimei nanny!
How good are the steaks at the Sundowner Bar and Grill – I can comfortably say they are the best in Fiji!
Thank you for joining me for the General Managers back of house tour! This is a great way for guests to see how a big resort such as Outrigger operates and is highly recommended!
Stacey M, once again we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort for your third visit.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!