“The Outrigger - great family place to stay”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed at The Outrigger in June this year for our second time, this time we took our 3 year old daughter with us (her first time to Fiji) and like the year before we had a fabulous stay at this resort and will go back again we had the Standard room which to my surprise had 2 Queen beds in it I guess it was because we had our daughter I expected for her to be sharing a bed with us the rooms are really nice and comfortable. This time we chose to have the buffet breakfast which was amazing it had such a great selection of food I think I ate more than I needed but it was good I also liked the smoothie shot bar yummy!
the Resort gardens are also beautiful the ground staff defiantly look after it well same with the pool area. We spent most of our time at the pool area and beach as my daughter loves the water.
another convenient thing is that there is souvenir shops on the ground floor and there is local ladies selling their handicrafts to which my daughter also loved picking out little things for herself.
Food prices we found to be a bit expensive so we found other places to eat just up the beach there is a few places to eat we really enjoyed eating at Le Café it doesn't look like much but the service and food was nice and good prices to. Also if you do take kids I would recommend the Eco park over the road the kids will love touching and holding the lizards, watching the turtle feeding and a walking the nature trails I think the cost was about $20.00 AUD per adult.
overall we will be returning to The Outrigger my little one keeps asking to take her to Fiji again so this resort will be on the list next time.

Room Tip: the Standard room doesn't have an ocean view so if that's what you are looking for pay the e...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Island_dreaming_86
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Nata862

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful holiday experience!
As you have detailed in your review there is something for everybody at our beautiful resort! I was delighted to read that your family enjoyed their trip to the Kula Eco Park. This park is Fiji’s one and only zoo and it is only 5 minutes walk from the resort.
Thank you for your comments on our breakfast buffet and the quality of our restaurants – they all provide wonderful dining experiences!
As you have stated the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is our staff – They love coming to work and engaging with our guests!
Nata862, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on Trip Advisor. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

There are newer reviews for Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We recently returned from Outrigger fiji on the 11/11/2013. We found the resort very beautiful the gardens are just the best I have ever seen. The pool fantastic. The Fijian people and staff are very friendly people and happy. Even when we went to Sigatoka township we felt very welcome. Bula was said by all. We truly enjoyed the fire walking show, the village tour and we went to Robinson cruisoe island just the lazy day as it is very expensive for day tours. They were trying to push us to use the jet ski's at $200 each and the water-park was just 3 blown up floating items? So glad I didn't choose that. That was a relaxing day but very tiring at the end of it. We took along $1000 fijian dollars along and paid cash for everything until we ran out, which didn't last long, as we found the meals and drinks extremely expensive. But if you can use your fijian cash do so because it does make checking your bill at the end alot easier as we had a few things on our bill that we were charged for that shouldn't of been on there. But they did refund them off the bill. The best value for dinner was sharing a pizza and they were delicious. We had breakfast included highly recommended. Very yummy. One night we decided to have a special night and have the buffet dinner it was pig on spit night. At $68 a head. The pig was tough the skin of pig like rubber. Unfortunately half way thru meal my husband got very sick and had to rush back to the room. The beach isn't very nice, we didn't swim in it once, too much coral. We bought some items from Jacks but then when we were leaving a Nadi airport the duty free prices were like half the price. Highly recommend the Bounty Rum, we brought back a few bottles duty free. We also took our 12 year old son and he enjoyed his time he didnt want to go to kids club as he felt to old. The cost was $200 fijian for a minimum of 4 days. Not many free activities for children. Would we come back to Fiji again yes, but we probably would go to a different area of Fiji and really look into food / drink and activity prices.

Room Tip: Bure's are beautiful highly recommend don't get to close to water as long way up to office...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Travellerdi2013

Dear Travellerdi2013

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
I have noted your comments about the restaurants at the resort and the local pricing. The restaurants at the resort are considered the best in Fiji with our fine dine restaurant Ivi being acknowledged as the Best Restaurant in Fiji both on Trip Advisor and also at the Fiji Tourism Awards. We also have an outstanding Char grill restaurant along with an Asian Restaurant. We have searched far and wide to obtain the best produce from all over the world. Whilst most of our fruit and vegetables and seafood come from Fiji, our beef comes from Tasmania in Australia and our lamb, prawns, scallops and salmon come from New Zealand. Importing these products does come at a cost but you will still find the cost of meals in Fiji approximately 40% to 50 % cheaper than Australian resorts.
As you found out we are blessed with the best staff that you will find at any resort, not just in Fiji but the whole South Pacific – You only need to read the comments from the other subscribers to Trip Advisor to appreciate the quality of service and product that we deliver to our guests. I refute your claims about charging for the Kids Club as we provide a free Kids Club and activity planner for all of the children staying at the resort. There are so many free activities at the resort plus we also provide “Kids Eat Free” for all children 12 and under, when staying for 5 nights or more!
Travellerdi2013, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Hopefully one day you will return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Came here for our honeymoon. We were greeted by a man yelling BULA at the top of his lungs- quite nice but wasn't nice being woken up to it every morning starting at 6:45am.
Room was nice enough with butler service every afternoon- we had a wonderful young man as our butler, very pleasant.
Food- expensive!! Not too sure but the management must think Aussies are made out of money!!! Should not be charging $10 for a bottle of fiji water ( 1L) I decided I was going to not eat any meat here, and the one time I slipped up & ate chicken, I got extremely sick.
If you have any dietary requirements, I would make sure the message gets to the chef, the wait staff can be rather loose with the order taking process.
Staff- really nice. However, a million BULA's a day can become a bit annoying.
Management- meh, only interested in taking your money.
Special mention to Mosese- what a gentleman- an asset to the resort.
Hair braiding- was told its $ 1 per braid. I got 36 braids & was charged $55. Hmmmm.
Internet- terrible!! Not to mention its $100 for 7 days!! Oh, before I forget, it's as slow as dial up.
Sundowner bar is Lovely with really yummy pizza.
Beach- not really appealing, dead coral everywhere. I heard another couple say " the dead coral washed up looks like bones!'
Went kyaking, nice but would suggest they wash the jackets once in a while and hose down the kayaks from mould.
Fire twirling show was amazing! A must see.
Room service- after eating a very expensive dinner ( the size of my palm) I was hungry an hour later and decided on room service! Well for stir fried veggies and a tiny bit of rice it was $34!
Breakfast buffet, nice toast! Good variety too. But if you wanted coffee, you had to pay for it? Doesn't make sense.
We opted to dine out of the restaurant and was what felt we were spied on & interrogated the next day by the waiters- it like everyone knows if you dine elsewhere.
Overall- 2/5 stars. Definitely isn't 5 star like it claims to be- I think australia & Fijian star rating are very very different. I would come back to fiji but would not stay here again, too far from island trips. Port denerau is the place to stay!!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Mushrooms30

Dear Mushrooms30

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
I have noted your comments in relation to the price of food at the resort. The restaurants at the resort are considered the best in Fiji with our fine dine restaurant Ivi being acknowledged as the Best Restaurant in Fiji both on Trip Advisor and also at the Fiji Tourism Awards. We also have an outstanding Char grill restaurant along with an Asian Restaurant. To achieve this quality we need to import our beef from Australia and also all of our lamb and shellfish are imported from New Zealand. Obviously there is a cost associated with importing these quality products but we deliver outstanding meals in our restaurants. I apologise for the Bula Man waking you at 6.30am. Our Bula Men at the entrance are only supposed to greet our guests with a mighty “bula” between 8.00am and 8.00pm. It sounds like he was a little bit too enthusiastic????
I assure you that the star ratings between Australia and Fiji are one and the same! Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was voted the “Number One” Deluxe resort in Fiji at this year’s Fiji Tourism awards.
Mushrooms30, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Hopefully one day you will return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We visited for a family wedding. Stayed 5 nights. Firstly our arrival. We arrived on my wife's 60th birthday which had been uneventful for her as we had spent most of day travelling. As soon as we got out of our cab, we were met by a group of the staff singing happy birthday to her. On check in we were met by our butler and driven to our bure and on entering found the room decorated with balloons and a happy birthday message spelled out in petals on the bed, and a piece of cake with happy birthday wishes piped around the edge of plate. An absolutely delightful arrival. Further happy birthday singing and cake at Sundowner bar later.
The room was very good. Good bed and facilities. Water pressure a bit weak, but ok. Many visits by butlers during stay with champagne and night caps. Service and staff very good.
Wedding was done very well in lovely chapel overlooking resort. Reception good with good service. Food ok.
Rest of week spent lazing around adults only pool which was a great pool and great idea for those without children. Also kayaking and snorkelling in lagoon. Not great reef but interesting nevertheless. Dinners in various of the resort restaurants.
Some of our family group, both children and adults got 24 hour vomiting bug. I note that a number of reviewers have mentioned similar issues. My theory is that those who swam in the big pool were the only ones in our family group to get sick in this way. No proof, but heard other families discussing their kids being sick. Theory only but management would be advised to thoroughly investigate the cause of these illnesses.
In general, the staff were great with that typical Fijian friendliness. I found some a bit different with some vagueness in their style. I was served a hot glass of red wine and my wife's white wine was off and had to be returned. It was replaced by good glass "from new bottle".
As with many resorts like this, the food and wine prices were steep. We spent $AUD800 on food and wine in 5 days with quite modest eating & drinking. Some people resorted to eating / drinking outside resort at nearby establishments.
Summary: we did enjoy ourselves here despite some of the negatives listed above. The welcome and style of the majority of staff was excellent. I would have rated higher if some of the above issues had been better. I think this could be an excellent resort with only a small amount of tweaking.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Doctorraitch

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your comments in regards to the facilities at the resort. There is so much to do, or, should you wish so little!
You can clearly understand why Outrigger was voted the best resort at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards. We are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the South Pacific. As you found out our staff also enjoy a celebration – We trust that you enjoyed their enthusiastic response to your birthday.
Doctorraitch, I sincerely apologise for the illness that some of your party came down with. Unfortunately there has been a very aggressive 24 hour virus going around Fiji and a large number of our staff and guests have been impacted by this virus. The good news is that it appears that we are over the worst and life is slowly getting back to normal. I assure you that chemical balance tests are undertaken of our resort swimming pools every 2 hours and we also undertake water quality tests which are sent to the University of the South Pacific for verification.
Doctorraitch, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at the Outrigger, we decided to get married OS, after much researching decided on the Outrigger. 80 guests came with us, it was fantastic!!! The resort is beautiful, the people and staff are lovely, the most beautiful happy people you will meet, always will to do anything to help. We stayed in a beachfront Bure, Our son (7yr old) just jumped down onto the beach and snorkeled for hours, he loved it! Our bure was lovely, the only thing was the huge king size bed had a raise in the middle so we seemed to be parted when we slept, the bed was still very comfortable. On our wedding night the butler put a love heart and congrats in rose petals on our bed. We had a MeiMei (nanny) for our daught (7 mths old) Niumai was fantastic. I was so worried about leaving our daughter with anyone as she had only been with us, but Niumai did everything we asked and Amaya loved her!!! The food was fantastic, especially at the wedding, everyone raved about the food. The butler service was great, every afternoon champers and a light canapes delivered to our door to have whilst watching the sunset. Then later at night a liquor shot and mini muffin or tart-let was delivered, delicious!! :-) Perfect destination for a wedding or family holiday. It will be a special place to us for ever and we will return regularly!! I think our guests will too, we didn't have one bad report!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GCB2013
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear GCB2013

Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you, your family and your friends had a wonderful wedding occasion and holiday at our beautiful resort.
I am absolutely thrilled that my weddings and banquets teams could provide you with such a memorable wedding.
I was delighted to read that our staff took such good care of you and your children! Our meimei nanny service is the best that I have encountered in my 30 years in hospitality. The meimei nannies take such good care of the children and as you found out the children just love their nannies. I will most definitely pass your comments onto Niumai
I have also noted your comments regarding the quality of food at the resort. We have searched far and wide to obtain the best produce from all over the world. Whilst most of our fruit and veges and seafood come from Fiji, our beef comes from Tasmania in Australia and our lamb, prawns, scallops and salmon come from New Zealand. Our restaurants are regarded as the best in Fiji - This is an area of our operations that we have worked very hard on!
GCB2013, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

My husband, myself and 3 boys 9,8,and 5 have just come back from 10 days staying at the Outrigger in a very spacious1bed suite+interconnecting room.
I have never been anywhere where the staff were so warm and welcoming an nothing was problem and always smiling .
We had food vouchers which worked really well for us. At 2 of the restaurants you did have to pay a top up to dine therebut food was lovely. I found prices of bottles of wine a little pricey.
Meimei service was one of our highlights as our 8 year old boy has Cerebral Palsy, non verbal with mild autism. They called him their VIP.. And he was sure treated like royalty. He was known to all staff and often greeted with loads of cuddles and high fives. We had the same nanny Phoebe for the whole time and she treated him and us like her extended family. Our son preferred to hang out with her and kids club rather then stay with us. All in all our kids had a great time so then we had a great time.
I highly recommend the Outrigger and we will be back.
Michelle Hunter

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Michelle H
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Michelle H

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at our beautiful resort. As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I also appreciate your comments on the meimei nanny service. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about! Kids having fun with their meimei nannies which allows Mums and Dads timeout to relax and also have a holiday. I will most definitely share your comments with Phoebe, you meimei nanny.
Michelle H, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your family return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Outrigger has been there a long time and it shows. At the right price for the right sort of people it would be good value. It's not a place to go if you like the beach but it does have a huge pool for parents and kids and an adult pool. The food in the restaurants is old resort food , the service is island style meaning on island time. The staff in the resort are really lovely people. The smaller islands of Fiji are the pick .

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Connolly47

Dear Connolly47

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
In response to your comments I assure you that the Outrigger is a very well maintained resort and it is only 13 years old! The quality of the resort was acknowledged at this year’s Fiji Tourism Awards wherein it was voted as the “Best Deluxe Resort in Fiji”.
I totally refute your comments on our restaurants! The restaurants at the resort are considered the best in Fiji with our fine dine restaurant Ivi being acknowledged as the Best Restaurant in Fiji both on Trip Advisor and also at the Fiji Tourism Awards. We also have an outstanding Char grill restaurant along with an Asian Restaurant.
To be totally honest Connolly47 I don’t believe Outrigger was the right resort for you!
We are blessed with the best staff that you will find at any resort, not just in Fiji but the whole South Pacific – You only need to read the comments from the other subscribers to Trip Advisor to appreciate the quality of service and product that we deliver to our guests.
Connolly47, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Hopefully one day you will return to our beautiful resort.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!