“Great for young children”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Noosa, Australia
“Great for young children”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I recently travelled to Fiji with my partner and our 12 year old son and spent 5 nights at the outrigger. Having been to Fiji many times I was interested to see if Sigatogas beach was better for swimming than Denarau. Unfortunately it wasn't that great, although it was very windy ,so swimming in the ocean wasn't really an option anyway. The hotel itself was lovely, fantastic service and lovely staff , the Fijians are beautiful people. As we went in peak holiday period it was overrun with young kids, which would be of concern if you were a couple. There is a nice adults pool area though. Food was excellent and a good choice of restaurants. Our bungalow with Talai butler service was really nice and very clean. Overall , a lovely hotel. If your a beach person however, you might want to consider an island. We did 4 nights Mana island, 5 outrigger which was perfect.

Room Tip: If you can, opt for a bungalow. Very private and spacious.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jo M
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Jo M

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
It sounds like you had a “great” holiday experience!
As you have detailed in your review there is something for everybody at our beautiful resort! I have noted your comments regarding the beach at the front of the resort! Our guests are able to swim, snorkel, have fun on stand-up surf boards and sea kayaks from mid tide to high tide and back down to mid tide! We also provide reef walks at low tide!
As you have stated the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is our staff – They love coming to work and engaging with our guests! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your accommodation in one of our traditional Fijian Bures!
Jo M, Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on trip advisor. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We have just spent 8 nights at this resort, in the process, attending a wedding.
Our last trip to Fiji was 24 years ago and to be honest, it was not a destination on our future travel list. What a surprise. We were delighted to see how much tourism had improved in that time. The professionalism of the staff at every level was exemplary - a fantastic compliment to their staff training. The warmth of the hospitality was genuine. The resort was spotless, well maintained, rooms and beds comfortable and well appointed. The entertainment offered was varied to accommodate all age groups. We were a group of 50 ranging in age from 18 months to 83 years young and everyone had a wonderful time. Perhaps the only area that could benefit from improvement is the food. The breakfast buffet was fine and offered a good variety. The other food and beverage outlets throughout the resort tended to be a little expensive and the quality of the foods offered was not consistent. We found the food at a neighbouring Bedarra resort far cheaper and of a better standard. In all, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Outrigger to anyone who is looking for a resort holiday.
One suggestion to the wedding planners - Choose a different wedding cake that will tolerate humidity. Perhaps a cup cake tower would be a better option.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building and had a sea view as well as sea breezes This would be our recommend...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
ChefAussie

Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and, your friends had a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort.
I was delighted to read that our staff took such good care of you. As you found out they are very engaging and love coming to work!
I have noted your comments regarding the quality of your meals and I have personally discussed these issues with my Executive Chef. I also thank you for your tips on the Wedding Cake.
ChefAussie, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here and the second time I have been sick.
About 2-3 hours after eating the buffet I and others became violently ill.
Symptoms were conducive with food poisoning.
The local doctor who it turns out is employed by the hotel, was quick to dismiss this, instead suggesting a virus.
I spent 80% of my holiday in bed praying to god to kill me now!!!
When I returned to Australia I went to my own doctor who confirmed salmonella poisoning as the likely source.
When I made contact with the hotel they again were quick to dismiss this.
I found this dismissive attitude concerning as salmonella is a very serious and potentially deadly virus.
The hotel is nice enough but not worth dying for....

2 Thank Mr K
Dear Mr K

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
Obviously nobody likes to get ill whilst on holidays but the reality is that there has been an aggressive “Norovirus” going through all of the islands and resorts in the South Pacific. The same situation occurred earlier this year in Australia and New Zealand. I sincerely apologise for the illness that some of your party came down with. Unfortunately this 24 gastro hour virus has also impacted a large number of our staff and guests.
I assure you that this illness was not due to food poisoning but more to do with person to person transmission of the norovirus!
The “best news” is that we are now on top of this situation and there have been no recorded cases of norovirus for several days!
We have not dismissed your claims on this issue! I have had doctors from Fiji and Australia undertake independent tests on this virus and they have come up with the same diagnosis. I should also add that the doctor at the resort operates independently of the resort.
Mr. K, as I stated at the beginning, nobody likes to get ill whilst on holidays. We apologise that this situation occurred on your holiday.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Amazing wedding planner here. Asmeen Abdul thank you for everything. And all the staff here. The staff at the adults pool ; wasali yepilli..so special.thank you..this holiday here was one of my most treasured moments.
the only thing that wasnt great and did ruin some things. My maid if honor got violently ill the night before and ther was only a doctor available for an hr each morning from 9-10.she had limited advice and medicine available and charged us double as we needed to see her @10.15 so..this is not really good for a five star resort.ther should be more available when sickness breaks out.more meds and more hrs of coverage

• Stayed November 2013
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Brendanandsylvie

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful holiday and wedding experience at our beautiful resort! Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. As you found out, they seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I will most definitely pass your comments onto Jack Johnson and his team at Vahavu! I was delighted to read that your wedding was such a memorable occasion. Our weddings and banquets team do a terrific job in looking after our wedding guests. I will most definitely share your comments with Asmeen, your wedding planner! I sincerely apologise for the lack of service form our Resort Doctor when your bride’s maid became ill. I have addressed this issue with our local doctor.
Brendanandsylie, once again we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just spent 8 nights at the Outrigger & loved it - comfortable room with very comfortable beds and pillows. Facilities, restaurants, staff and activities were all fantastic. We ate at most of the restaurants at the resort and some outside along the sunset strip and food and service in all places was really good - particularly missing my breakfast and accompanying serenaders this morning. The proximity to the two nearby villages was a bonus and we were made so welcome at the church service in Malevu on Sunday. The local bus to Sigatoka was convenient and a nice way to be amongst the locals. The lovely ladies that sell their goods along the walkways were also very friendly and never pushy with a sale which was so nice. Bebe Spa was a delight and the views from up there amazing. Visited some other resorts during a day trip and the Outrigger welcoming 'Bula" the best on the Coral Coast - loved it! Would definitely recommend a holiday here but make the most of the activities on offer - as wonderful as the pools are - you are missing out on so much if you don't get involved. Vinaka to the exceptional staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room in the Malevu Wing - beautiful views and always a nice breeze on the balcony - b...
Dear ly222013

Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience!
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I was delighted to read that you took the time to visit the local villages and also Sigatoka. The Coral Coast is the cultural and adventure capital of Fiji. There is so much to do both within the resort and also in the local region.
Thank you for your comments regarding our restaurants Yes, our buffet breakfast is definitely one of the best!
ly222013, Once again we thank you for your warm and generous comments. Hopefully one day you will come back for a return visit?

Regards
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We took our 3 kids. 7,4 and 9months to attend a wedding. It was just so easy and relaxing. We stayed in a family bure, which was fantastic. We had the two adjoining bures with a lounge in the middle. So the kids had their own room for sleeping and another room to play when baby was asleep, and of course us adults had our own space too and didn't have to be quiet and lights out when the kids went to bed.
Also being on the ground level in the traditional bure the kids could just run around out the front of the room on the beautiful manicured grass, the gardens are amazing too. Kids loved looking for frogs and lizards.
Negatives about the room was no noise privacy from the bathroom and we were very close to where the wedding receptions were held every night. But the baby seemed to love all the eighties music as she would go straight to sleep. The only night there was no wedding the baby would not go to sleep. Figures. The music would stop at 10pm anyway so it was not too much of a problem.

Food was amazing but there probably needed to be more fresh salad selections and green veges.
Nanny service was great. We used them just for dinner one night and the wedding. Kids had a great time, baby slept well and we were given a full page report at the end.
Day spa was beautiful and treatments were very good.
Adults pool had a lap pool which I used everyday when hubby had the kids.
We received a schedule of activities on arrival for the week so we could choose what and when activities suited us.
Activities we did were:
The wildlife park, kids liked this, its not very big but we found we didn't want to stay too long as it was hot.
Fire walking show. This was well organised and good thing to show the kids.
Meke show. Kids loved this and got up to dance with the Fijians too.
Crab race. Kids and dad loved.
Hat making. Kids got into this too.
The pool was fantastic and a real winner with the kids and adults. Only the tiles and bricks were very slippery, so just take care.
The wedding was beautiful and well organised.
We didn't snorkel as the weather was very windy and rainy when we were there and we were heading to an outer island the following week anyway.
We didn't have enough time to do any external excursions once we had done the wedding, pool time and the hotel activities in the one week, so id almost suggest staying a little longer.
Staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive.
The hotel even has a nanny service at the side of the breakfast restaurant so you can feed the kids and drop them in there then eat your breakfast in peace but still see your kids. Great.

Dear Eliza H

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at our beautiful resort. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you and your family with such a memorable holiday experience! As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I also appreciate your comments on the meimei nanny service. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about! Kids having fun with their meimei nannies which allows Mums and Dads timeout to relax and also have a holiday. I also thank you for your comments on the activities that are available at the resort – You can do as much as you wish or alternatively just relax, and read a book by the pool!
Eliza H, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your family return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

Vinaka & Warm Regards
mossvale
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Arrived at Nadi airport no problem getting through customs the only hassle we had that it was raining and the baggage handlers did not work in the rain 2 hours later we where on our way to the Outrigger.Very poor country as we traveled 1 hour to the resort rolling hills lots of green so plenty of rain.Good to see the different types of houses,shops,cars,signs along the way. Finally arrived greeted by guard with loud bula resort looks nice very clean reception friendly was giving a cold drink on arrival,cold face washer.Our package included a Beachfront Bure great location quiet but still close to restaurants, pre paid meals as it is expensive, talai butlers.We had buffet breakfast in Vale Ni Kana very busy so ended up going to the sundowner paid $10 pp extra but so much better.Wasn't too keen on the Bavaria pool bar&restaurant for lunch service not the best.Sundowner was the best place we found for all meals.Tried the Ivi just lovely, service was great,meals very nice paid $30 pp extra great experience.A great place for weddings the chapel is a lovely place over looking to ocean high on a hill Bebe Spa is also up where the weddings take place.Had the couples spa treatment coconut milk in bathtub overlooking the ocean, champagne,fruit platter than a 1 hour long full body massage just wonderful.Be careful check room account as someone billed our room of $64 there was no problem with that being removed &pay as you go so there is no shock at the end of holiday . Overall its nice&expensive. Travelex was best for currency no fees order online pick up at airport for $1004 aud we got $1660 fiji .Lots of Fiji time so just relax

Room Tip: pay a bit more stay in beachfront bure 407 was great as it is up the end not much people walking pas...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandyandalan
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Sandyandalan

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful wedding/holiday experience at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your comments in regards to the facilities at the resort. There is so much to do, or, should you wish so little!
You can clearly understand why Outrigger was voted the best resort at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards. We are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the South Pacific.
I was delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed your treatments at the Bebe Spa – Once again recognized as one of the best spas in the South Pacific.
Sandyandalan, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!